Is God real post your thoughts!

Joes_So_Cool

Just a thought:

We all know about September 11th.

How do we know that God didn't prevent something worse from happening; say, a nuclear attack on the United States. Wonder which would have been worse...

So we're supposed to thank God that he isn't letting things go TOO horrible? \'

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe god is real and sticks with all of us through our life. He will not thought help us when you want it but he will us at our time of need.

Tell that to everyone who died in the September 11th attacks.

If I was God, I wouldn't have it a peaceful world. Let's face it, to an omnipresent being that is in control of everything, that's pretty boring. That's like watching a war between hippies, it's boring ;) .

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

A preacher tries to prove that God is real, by submerging himself in a lake. He says that God will save him from drowning. Before long, the police came to try and help him. The preacher refuses their help, insisting that God will save him. Next, the fire department comes. When they try to rescue the preacher, they get the same answer. Then the paramedics come to save him. Once again, the preacher insists that God will save him. The preacher drowned. When he gets to heaven, he meets God, and asks "Why didn't you save me? I had faith in you!" God replies, "Preacher, I sent the police, the fire department, and the paramedics, and you didn't accept help from any of them."

That would be quaint, even funny maybe, were it not for the fact that it tries to justify the (in)actions of a God who sits by and watches his world burn. In the vast majority of cases of human suffering, there are no state departments sent by God rushing to the aid of people. Instead we have adults and children alike, suffering and often dying alone with absolutely no way out.

What do you expect? Sometimes it just isn't possible. A hand is not going to come down from the sky and pull you out of a burning building. And just like people do with the bible, you took my analogy too literally. It isn't limited to fire department, police, and medics. They just fit into the example.

I believe god is real and sticks with all of us through our life. He will not thought help us when you want it but he will us at our time of need.

Tell that to everyone who died in the September 11th attacks.

If I was God, I wouldn't have it a peaceful world. Let's face it, to an omnipresent being that is in control of everything, that's pretty boring. That's like watching a war between hippies, it's boring ;) .

Exactly. And btw, MANY more people would have died had it not been for the Fire department.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

One also has to observe the fact that, if God was the all loving God in the sense that he doesn't let harm come to anyone, the world would be perfect, and that is impossible.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

Just a thought:

How do we know that God didn't prevent something worse from happening; say, a nuclear attack on the United States. Wonder which would have been worse...

You do realise with that kind of rationalisation you can justify washing god's hands of absolutely anything, right?

"He's quite fine with millions of people dieing of natural diseases every year? Well he could be saving us from millions more!" :lol:

Sounds like a whopper of a cop out to me.

This is just the thing about god - no one knows. I could just as well say he doesn't care at all or that he's a closet sadist who likes seeing kids with malaria or tuberculosis.

^

I think you just made a very good point.

Can God physically intervene? I don't know, and neither do you.

Can God end world hunger, or diseases? I don't know, and neither do you.

The list goes on forever.

And God doesn't give us a perfect world because it's IMPOSSIBLE. Different people have different views of 'perfect'.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

And God doesn't give us a perfect world because it's IMPOSSIBLE. Different people have different views of 'perfect'.

Unless you believe in the Garden of Eden. ;)

Just a thought:

You do realise with that kind of rationalisation you can justify washing god's hands of absolutely anything, right?

"He's quite fine with millions of people dieing of natural diseases every year? Well he could be saving us from millions more!" :lol:

Sounds like a whopper of a cop out to me.

This is just the thing about god - no one knows. I could just as well say he doesn't care at all or that he's a closet sadist who likes seeing kids with malaria or tuberculosis.

It was faulty logic, and I apologize. I just don't understand how people can blame God for not doing anything about it. Just today, I was at mass and a priest from Chicago was asking for money for kids in Africa. People complain about God not doing anything about issues such as malaria, when in fact, they have the ability to help solve the problem. The priest said "If you provide for the needy and poor, God will provide for you." In my opinion, he has a point.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

Evolution is one hell of a hard thing to comprehend - I don't think we have numbers to describe the odds of humans evolving!

It's no coincidence that an inherent property of organic compounds is self-replication!

And, the odds of consciousness evolving are probably the greatest ever - now we are masters of our own DNA! (not yet, but soon, anyway)

But then again, the universe is one of an infinite number, each containing a incredible number of planets. And what about alternate dimensions?

But, I have studied evolution, thoroughly, and believe that it is incredible probable that other life exists too. Although I don't think it is probably conscious.

So god is not necessary for us to be.

Although it is mind-boggling how we exist...

If god did exist, though, I think he designed the universe, with the laws of physics, so that we might evolve, but tried other places too, and may have even decided to stay in one universe.

He might also have been trying to create an equal to him. If so, humanity = fail.

Consider these arguments, all against a christian/catholic/islam god.

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

He might also have been trying to create an equal to him. If so, humanity = fail.

That's something I haven't hear before, but it's a very interesting idea! Humanity could actually be a Frankenstein's Monster of God.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

^

I think you just made a very good point.

Can God physically intervene? I don't know, and neither do you.

Can God end world hunger, or diseases? I don't know, and neither do you.

The list goes on forever.

If you believe in the God of the bible (and monotheism in general) then you have to claim to know certain things about him, omnipotence being one of them. So he can do anything, including ending world hunger and disease and creating a perfect world. Subjective perfection isn't really an argument that will work here, because obviously God and heaven are both supposedly perfect, meaning that some kind of objective perfection is possible if that's what you believe.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I remember when I was about 15 - I was sitting at my desk daydreaming, when just randomly I started thinking about existence, reality, etc, etc, and I was plagued with questions. It felt horrible, and I wished it away, but eventually I gave in, and I started writing stuff down, trying to make sense of it all. After a few minutes I thought to myself.. wait, how did existence come to be, if it did in the first place, is it possible for something to be eternal, is the concept of "nothing" even possible, etc etc.. and then I looked around me, and I thought of the molecules, and the air, and all that stuff, and it overwhelmed me, and I came to that conclusion, right there at that moment, that there must be a God.

Then, I thought for about 5 seconds, and then realised that just because we do not know something, does not mean that we have to attribute it to God.. I tried to think myself to early civilisation, where they had no explanations for anything, and then imagine what it must have been like trying to make sense of it all.. and that to them, quantum mechanics, gravity, etc, would have seemed totally ridiculous. So I thought, hey, there's a lot of stuff here that nobody knows - but why must that mean that "God" is the cause? What evidence here suggests that a God exists? Holes in our knowledge..? Wait.. no, that is much evidence for the world being controlled by evil Alien-Ape hybrids who are blocking human consciousness from understanding itself as it is for a God.. In a thousand years, maybe they will look back upon us and pity our lack of understanding..?

For those 5 seconds there, I was a deist.

That's something I haven't hear before, but it's a very interesting idea! Humanity could actually be a Frankenstein's Monster of God.

Reminds me of this:

In Prometheus Rising, Robert Anton Wilson stated: "Mind" is a tool invented by the universe to see itself; but it can never see all of itself, for much the same reason that you cant see your own back (without mirrors). Or as Alan Watts liked to say, because the tongue ultimately cannot taste the tongue.

I think it is a very interesting idea. I haven't read enough about it to assess if there is any evidence for such a claim, but even so, it is interesting to think about.

Hey.

god is a belief. if u believe him he is real. if u dont well... he isnt.

That only really makes sense if you believe that "reality" is whatever can be imagined. Subsistence, or something like that.

Hey.

It is one of the ultimate pinnacles of human arrogance to assume that humanity is the only intelligent creation of 'god'. I have never encountered or heard of a religon that didn't preach that we are the only intelligent species in the entire multiverse, and that we are 'special'. In the extreme unlikely possibilty that a being or race of beings (i.e., 'god') advanced enough to create entire biospheres, complete with sets of flora and fauna, including intelligent species does exist somewhere inside or outside of the multiverse, then I seriously doubt that we are their only intelligent creation, or that we are in an way 'special'.

I find that one of the primary reasons for belief in a religion seems to be that people don't want to accept the fact that they are utterly unimportant, and that after they live out their life, they will die. People actually help to blind themselves to the truth of the universe because they are afraid of their own insignificance and death. And then there are the ones who are in it for the money or power, and the ones who want an excuse to steal land and resources. Bleh.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

It was faulty logic, and I apologize. I just don't understand how people can blame God for not doing anything about it. Just today, I was at mass and a priest from Chicago was asking for money for kids in Africa. People complain about God not doing anything about issues such as malaria, when in fact, they have the ability to help solve the problem. The priest said "If you provide for the needy and poor, God will provide for you." In my opinion, he has a point.

No need to apologise, just offering a different point of view.

As for how people can blame god for not doing anything about the ills of the world, it's actually pretty easy. I'm sure people who have doubted their faith before have at times blamed god for their troubles, especially those who believe god actually intervenes with humanity. But what I'm suggesting is more that god could have, perhaps, not created malaria in the first place? Shifting the onus back on humans is cute, but to me it smacks of apathy on behalf of the almighty. Or at least it smacks of us covering it up for him.

If you accept evolution for the source of all the nasties of the world, then I could ask why god didn't jury-rig the process to make it a little less nasty. The answer to me is either he doesn't care too much or he can't change the course of evolution for whatever reason. All I'm saying is this: if I were an all loving, omnipotent being, I'd tend to make earth and life on it a little less nasty. If he's perfect, then he could have easily made it a better approximation of perfect for us.

Ok, I feel I've got my point across so I'll not push it any more.

I remember when I was about 15 - I was sitting at my desk daydreaming, when just randomly I started thinking about existence, reality, etc, etc, and I was plagued with questions. It felt horrible, and I wished it away, but eventually I gave in, and I started writing stuff down, trying to make sense of it all. After a few minutes I thought to myself.. wait, how did existence come to be, if it did in the first place, is it possible for something to be eternal, is the concept of "nothing" even possible, etc etc.. and then I looked around me, and I thought of the molecules, and the air, and all that stuff, and it overwhelmed me, and I came to that conclusion, right there at that moment, that there must be a God.

Then, I thought for about 5 seconds, and then realised that just because we do not know something, does not mean that we have to attribute it to God.. I tried to think myself to early civilisation, where they had no explanations for anything, and then imagine what it must have been like trying to make sense of it all.. and that to them, quantum mechanics, gravity, etc, would have seemed totally ridiculous. So I thought, hey, there's a lot of stuff here that nobody knows - but why must that mean that "God" is the cause? What evidence here suggests that a God exists? Holes in our knowledge..? Wait.. no, that is much evidence for the world being controlled by evil Alien-Ape hybrids who are blocking human consciousness from understanding itself as it is for a God.. In a thousand years, maybe they will look back upon us and pity our lack of understanding..?

Pretty much follows my thoughts on the concept of god. At least partly. God (in all its forms) to me is more accurately understood as a placeholder for human ignorance rather than any genuine entity. Whenever god is used as an answer to something, the answer is self-fulfilling because of the very properties of god as defined by us. But to me, that natural reversion to what we were taught as kids or what Abrahamic religion based societies understand of god doesn't help me understand anything. "Because he's god" doesn't help me, or appeal to my search for satisfying answers. I never seem to get the logic of "existence therefore god", "mind therefore god", etc. All it does for me is fuel more head scratching and make me ask more tough questions.

As you say, not understanding something is as much evidence for something totally invented as it is for the concept of god. Imagination is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't give me satisfactory answers.

I can't possibly pick one specific thing to reply to, so I'll just start at random.

On the issue of why god doesn't intervine in disasters: If god is truly all-knowing and all powerful, then he should really have no problems stopping natural disasters (or not creating them at all). There is no sense in allowing a large amount of people to suffer when he/she could simply intervine.

People say that god gives us the chance to intervine by sending other people to do his bidding (IE the preacher story mentioned). I don't think giving a preacher money will really end world hunger completely, forever. This logic is basically a cop out for people who blindly defend the thought of god.

As for not being able to create a perfect world, don't you think that goes against the whole "all powerful" thing? It's simply idiotic to think that a being is all powerful if he is incapable of any little thing, and by no means is creating a perfect world little.

In my opinion, god is a simply a thought presented to anyone who needs comfort or support. God is a great thought. Imagine someone who is entirely perfect in every way. Presents a pretty good role model, eh? However, with natural disasters, terriost attacks, and the rest of the world's problems, I have no real reason to believe in this being who apparently sits by and watches all of this.

This topic also reminds me of the age old riddle posed by any non-believer to a religious child: Can god create a rock that is too heavy for him to lift? If he can, then he created something too large for him to lift. If he cannot, then he is incapable of creating something.

ZpFishingSkillChamp.gif

150 years ago we abolished slavery

100 years ago was the emancipation of women

50 years ago was inter-racial marriage

now its same-sex marriage

why is it that the church is always dragged in kicking and screaming to the tolerance and compassion that it ironically says it holds a monopoly on.

what if the greatest deception the devil ever pulled on us was to create religion. to convince him to devote his life to mindless rituals, self-depreciation and violent prejudices. of course the devil cannot exist without the premise of religion. since it is a construct of it.

i personally stopped reading the bible the first time when i read that god rested on the seventh day. i asked my reverend why god, who was all powerfull would need a day for rest? a hush fell over the church and i have never been back to that place. its funny how a simple question by an inquisitive 12 year old can cause confusion amongst people who have spent there entire lives devoted to its cause.

It is said in the bible that we should kill

homosexuals

adulterers

disobedient children

women who are not virgins on their wedding night

All non-christians... even though Christ himself was jewish (go figure)

Those accused of wickedness by at least two people

And any1 who works on the sabbath, that includes you paramedics and fire fighters.

it was once said that thunder and lightning was god being angry, in ancient times i can understand why that work. if you fail to describe an event then simply say it is the work of god. of course, we all know that thunderstorms arnt the work of an angry god. slowly all the "work" delivered by god is disappearing. we continue to advance with science and continue to poke holes in all that religions throws our way.

As for the miracle of eucharistic has been stated that unless you conduct more then a few hundred tests to continue to prove your theory then a simple one of study is actually fairly laughable in todays modern science.

p.s. i think the funniest thing about religion is that you refute all other religions because of how irrational and "stupid" they are, imagine an arab god in the sky and a messenger called muhammed gees. but you cannot relay this same type of thinking into your own religion.

catholics dismiss 9,999 religions as false

Athiest's dismiss just one more

99wcsigpk9.jpg

Started new account: flipflop v2

why is it that the church is always dragged in kicking and screaming to the tolerance and compassion that it ironically says it holds a monopoly on.

I don't know what emancipation is, but if churches had issues with inter-racial marriage then that is apalling! If they were against the abolishment of slavery then I am ashamed to be called one of them, it is just that aweful. Not only that but there are many good reasons apart from "God says so" for why homosexuality is wrong. I would share them with you, but I am having a mental blank, and a huge urge to play guitar

what if the greatest deception the devil ever pulled on us was to create religion. to convince him to devote his life to mindless rituals, self-depreciation and violent prejudices. of course the devil cannot exist without the premise of religion. since it is a construct of it.

No, the greatest lie the devil ever created was that he doesn't exist. For if he doesn't exist then people don't need to be saved from him, therefore they don't need to ask God fore forgiveness. It doesn't matter what you believe, if you don't believe the devil is real then you do not need to be saved.

i personally stopped reading the bible the first time when i read that god rested on the seventh day. i asked my reverend why god, who was all powerfull would need a day for rest? a hush fell over the church and i have never been back to that place. its funny how a simple question by an inquisitive 12 year old can cause confusion amongst people who have spent there entire lives devoted to its cause.

You expect your reverend to know everything? Who can honestly tell us why God did something, for everything He did? I can only guess and say that He did it to look at what He had created, and so that others may also rest on that day and admire what He had made, and also so that they could rest. That is only my guess though.

homosexuals

adulterers

disobedient children

And any1 who works on the sabbath, that includes you paramedics and fire fighters.

please, tell me which verse does it say for us to kill them? These are things God tells us NOT to do (and you forgot on the wedding one, men are to be virgins too, not just the women

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

What do you expect? Sometimes it just isn't possible. A hand is not going to come down from the sky and pull you out of a burning building. And just like people do with the bible, you took my analogy too literally. It isn't limited to fire department, police, and medics. They just fit into the example.

Not possible for an omnipotent God? And i'm sorry, taking your argument literally was just an exercise in reductio ad-absurdium, I didn't mean it as a knock-down critique. As Lateralus said, the problem lies in trying to rationalise the actions of a God who either has the power to end suffering and chooses not to, and doesn't have the power but does want to. Even if you get subjective about what constitutes perfection, I think we can still both agree that this world is a long way from it.

I found a news article about a man who accidentally missed the Lockerbie bombing flight telling of this sort of mentality. Afterwards he said God had given him a second chance, a new start in life. Gave him a second chance, but not the other 269 presumably equally innocent people who didn't miss their flight? You can always find examples of 'miraculous' rescues and salvations and attribute them to God. But it does a great disservice not only to the people who were actually responsible for the saving (the human beings) by saying they needed help, but also to the thousands of other people who aren't being miraculously saved for every one that is. What did they do wrong?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

^^

in the bible god killed 2,038,344 people

the devil killed 10.

sounds like a peacful and forgiving god doesnt he?

but perhaps we mistake gods work now for that of sinister unparralled evil.

Hitler killed 6million jews. and slayed another 1million homosexuals / mentally challenged people.

he also tried to create the promised land for his race. perhaps hitler was the work of god. in the bible it talks about how moses gathered his people. destroyed egypt and took his people to the holy land. is Hitler so different in his goal?

Where the first born child of the egyptions so rightiously inept because of their bloodlines they must die for sins they did not commit?

Hitler did the same with the Jews, the killing of the innocent etc. of course we describe hitler as a terrible man decended from the devil himself. he just didnt have a burning bush talk to him or a magic stave.

i mean ultimatly, belief on christianity is the belief that a cosmic jewish zombie will make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and and tellapathically tell him that he is your master so he can remove an evil force in you because a ribbed women was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple from a magic tree.

99wcsigpk9.jpg

I don't know what emancipation is, but if churches had issues with inter-racial marriage then that is apalling! If they were against the abolishment of slavery then I am ashamed to be called one of them, it is just that aweful. Not only that but there are many good reasons apart from "God says so" for why homosexuality is wrong. I would share them with you, but I am having a mental blank, and a huge urge to play guitar

No, the greatest lie the devil ever created was that he doesn't exist. For if he doesn't exist then people don't need to be saved from him, therefore they don't need to ask God fore forgiveness. It doesn't matter what you believe, if you don't believe the devil is real then you do not need to be saved.

You expect your reverend to know everything? Who can honestly tell us why God did something, for everything He did? I can only guess and say that He did it to look at what He had created, and so that others may also rest on that day and admire what He had made, and also so that they could rest. That is only my guess though.

homosexuals

adulterers

disobedient children

please, tell me which verse does it say for us to kill them? These are things God tells us NOT to do (and you forgot on the wedding one, men are to be virgins too, not just the women

Okay i will address this in a few points.

Please enlighten me as to why homosexual relations is such a travesty. (the romans where doing it 200 years before the birth of christ. hell even [bleep]ing dolphins have intercourse with the same sex)

As for the reverend comment. i find it amusing that a simple childs question can put so much doubt and angst into a religion that really cant reply with a decent answer.

homosexuals (lev 20:13, rom 1:26-32)

adulterers (Lev 20:10, Deut 22:22)

disobedient children (Deut 21:20-21, Lev 20:9, Exod 21:15)

women who are not virgins on their wedding night (Deut 21:13-21)

All non-christians... even though Christ himself was jewish (go figure) (Luke 19:27)

Those accused of wickedness by at least two people (Deut 17:2-7)

And any1 who works on the sabbath, that includes you paramedics and fire fighters. (Exod 35:2-3)

God actually supports slavery and even gives information on how to sell your daughter to become a slave (Exod 21:7-8)

99wcsigpk9.jpg

God rested on the 7th day in order to establish the sabbath, in which all people are supposed to rest and thank God for his creation (mass).

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

God rested on the 7th day in order to establish the sabbath, in which all people are supposed to rest and thank God for his creation (mass).

Is god really so full of himself that he has to take one day a week out just so you can "admire" his creation?

Oh, and how does going to church and constantly hearing about hellfire and brimstone constitute as "rest"?

ZpFishingSkillChamp.gif

Is god really so full of himself that he has to take one day a week out just so you can "admire" his creation?

Oh, and how does going to church and constantly hearing about hellfire and brimstone constitute as "rest"?

He created the earth for us. What are we supposed to do? Take it for granted and not thank him at all?

You must be going to a weird church, because for the past 10 years I have been going to mass, I have never been lectured by a priest about hellfire and brimstone.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|