Smash Club.

Caxis

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, smashing persons, a friend of mine is a religious brawl player and regularly canes me with seemingly little effort, now that uni has calmed down a bit I feel like getting my own back with some techniques more advanced then "hold some buttons and hope". Can you guys point me towards any resources (with a minimum of jargon if possible) that are aimed at a mere casual player.

Thanks in advance.

Well, it depends on which character you use. And thankfully, Smash jargon is reletively simple, and if you don't know any, Smashwiki.com is a great site for basics like that. Smashboards.com is the MLG forums for Smash, and again, if you have trouble to jargon just go to the wiki. I'm assuming your friend is decent, so the best thing to do is to look at some higher leveled play at youtube, and see what you can pick up. Post back when you need more help.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

There's no point in an easily punishable and foreseeable plank.

And no, again, it's not the same thing. If it was, you'd see Wario's planking in vBrawl. (Which they don't, due to their recovery being the only recovery in vBrawl to not autosweetspot)

Just call it Brawl.

And btw, planking is abusing the invincibility frames on the edges, so, dropping and grabbing again .. hmm, whats this? Planking!

Not to mention ZSS has probably the best 'Plank' in Brawl+ with her Down B on FD.

So, smashing persons, a friend of mine is a religious brawl player and regularly canes me with seemingly little effort, now that uni has calmed down a bit I feel like getting my own back with some techniques more advanced then "hold some buttons and hope". Can you guys point me towards any resources (with a minimum of jargon if possible) that are aimed at a mere casual player.

Thanks in advance.

Smashboards suck. Use smash wiki, Smashboards is a very bad place for casual gamers.

If your friend spams projectiles, Toon Link might be good. If he spams projectiles that are like lasers and obviously not man made, but are made of 'energy', use Ness or Lucas to heal off of them. :o

Not sure on other people. Mario is fairly easy to learn, as is Shiek and Donkey Kong, these ones will probably give your friend a bit of trouble.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

No. A wiki is something that ANYBODY can edit, including a complete newb. Smashboards is a great place to lurk to get the newest techs, videos, and actually have varied opinions rather than... a wiki. Either way, what's wrong with an additional source?

And planking is ABUSING invincibility frames.

inuyashakent-2.png

Not any 'newbs' can edit Smash Wiki, lmao, and btw, Smashboards isnt good for casual players, dont even try to make it seem like it is good. A casual gamer wont need to learn any 'advanced techniques' or anything.

And so planking is stalling. We agreed on that.

Why not just agree planking is also in Brawl +?

It is, kinda.

I didn't say Planking isn't stalling (which is a whole other subject) I'm saying it's not possible in Brawl+. Anybody can edit a wiki. And Smashboards is funded by MLG. That means Pro. And Smashboards has all levels of player's, which is why they have beginners faqs for every character boards. How is that not helpful?

inuyashakent-2.png

Idc about the planking crap anymore -.-

Anybody can edit a wiki, but if you dont have an account you cant edit CERTAIN ones, and you cant make an account and do it in the same, what.. week or something?

And smashboards is funded by MLG, that does mean pro. BUT PRO ISNT CASUAL GAMING.

Beginner FAQ's are beginner FAQ's, not casual-gaming-for-fun-FAQ's.

Because casual players play the game for fun. Losing to a friend all the time isnt fun. And knowing how to use a character a little bit is decent, which is why Smash wiki > Smashboards for casual playing.

And on certain wikis (not sure about Smash wiki), you have to make a wiki account to edit pages, and on certain I think you have to have that account validated and possibly a week old or something.

SmashWiki defines things... it doesn't have any guides. And what's the difference between looking at Smashboards and Wiki? You like one better? Sheesh.

As for the wiki, having a waiting time has no affect on the fact that newbs (not spammers) could easily edit the page.

inuyashakent-2.png

Nor does it make it worse. I have read every characters guide in Smash wiki and not many times have I seen bad data.

Bit biased kent.

All the character faqs in Smashboards has a lot better quality information, and it is not wrong, either. It has frame data, matchups, etc, none of which is on the Wiki. A bit biased, Ray, considering you hate Smashboards due to it's bias which is obviously going to be more prominent on a site where anybody can edit.

inuyashakent-2.png

Because its logical to go to a freakin' forum that gives tips on how to begin using a character as if you wanted to play pro in the future than it is to go to a WIKI that is edited MOSTLY by people who have real tips for casual gamers.

I'm not biased because I dont like Smashboards. Smashboards is not a friendly community to casual gamers.

Yes, there is a big difference.

At the start of 'beginning pro', you want to begin to learn small "combos", tricks, angles and stuff of moves.

At the start of 'casual gaming', you basically just want to learn what attacks are good and what arent, what are fun and what cause lol's.

Yes, there is a big difference.

At the start of 'beginning pro', you want to begin to learn small "combos", tricks, angles and stuff of moves.

At the start of 'casual gaming', you basically just want to learn what attacks are good and what arent, what are fun and what cause lol's.

Not quite true, some casual players may want to learn "combos" as you say, just to beat their friends or show off in a sense.

The distinction of "casual" and "pro" becomes clear when the "pro" goes off to tournaments. Granted the casual player can go to tournaments as well, but the pro is more motivated to win while the casual person is doing it "for fun" as you put it.

I guess it kinda would depend on how Casual the person plays. But as a former Casual Brawler myself, I only wanted to know what I said. I never intended on playing the game competitively, nor did I want to beat the few friends who played.

Theres a simple answer here..

Neither of us know what a casual gamer is, or we both have very different opinions on those.

We should all add each other on rs 8-)

EDIT: 500th post :mrgreen:

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

In Brawl+ I have discovered that Snake can do a knee lock..... to a short extent.

umvc3_sig3.jpgTokiHakurei-SatellizerelBridget2.png

Click the "Signed in as..." go to Manage ignored users, copy paste Toki_Hakurei.

I'm pretty sure having boobs is the most broken super power anyone can ever have. 0_0

Samus and Zero suit samus = too good.

ZSS can get 2 U tilts into like 4 u airs and that racks up a bit.

Might be possible to Up B with ZSS into a D smash into whip for a kill right after that but IDK, havent tried lately.