Tip.It Times Presents: Functionality vs. Flash

Rcty

i agree with the author. i do not think that jagex uses the right approach.

runescape will never have comparable graphics, whatever you do. it wont look like rf online, fury, anarchy, company of heroes... it just wont, if it will stay as a java applet. only if jagex would let players download a real client, would rs stand a chance. no matter what internet connection you have, you cant download a few hundred npc and objects every time you play.

i also dont find graphics very essential... on the contrary: games like heroes of might and magic 3 are the coolest. the move from rsc to rs2 was nice, but really, its enough. whats the use of having monsters without edges if the map cant load on time, even if im only walking? (the edges are really stylish and cool, by the way. and i preferred the old ore rocks too. and moving fishing spots get on my nerves, especially if i have to run around looking for them... cant they move one field at a time?)

i understand that jagex probably has different departments/teams/whatever, but then the wrong things are getting emphasized. id much rather have the loose ends tied then new graphic or other quests. when have we last heard of the dwarves? the storylines nice, but neither finished nor updated just like the mourning series ( i think...) nor the myreque series. i think, on the whole, rs barking up the wrong tree...

id write more, but hey, you all know this stuff.

cheers,

westernmagic

Westernmagic.png

westernmagic.png

westernmagic.png

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree with the das. Although this big graphic update will certainly have a graphical overall on (hopefully) all parts of Runescape, there is still many things just left there after its update.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Runescape's graphics are one of the main weak points of this game. Most certainly a lot of people will ditch Runescape because it simply looks like crap (before even judging the game play). Thus it is very reasonable to update the graphics. I'm very certain a lot of people will like to see Jagex update the graphics.

So, imo, Das' opinion is not that important to me. It would be more significant if the whole community raised the question whether the graphics should be updated. Since this isn't happening, in my opinion, Jagex is making a good move to invest time in the graphics.

Not one of my favorite articles, but good read.

The author seemed to be confused in some places. For example, forgetting that there are two seperate teams for content and graphics. What does he/she suggest, that jagex slashes one of these teams and puts them with the other? Very unclear point to this article.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Himm, not sure I agree with all of it, but interesting point of view.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

im thoroughly excited about the graphical improvements, ive been waiting for this for a long time, and ive always wanted runescape to be fullscreen. this is a much needed improvement, hopefully fishing thousands of monkfish will be less killyourself boring when your not staring at a homogeneously blue blanket of nothingness they claim is water :D - im truly looking forward to the update, who says you cant have functionality and flash?

siggynewwr0.jpg

Srt252.png

Srt252.png

I agree with the main point of this article. That content updates and gameplay additions are more important than updating graphics. Not to say that graphics are unimportant, but to say that making things look prettier and act the same way is not making the game better.

The internet: A place where the men are men, the women are men, and 13 year old girls are FBI agents.
looks like WoW's interface.

Were you too lazy to read 3 posts above or too stupid to comprehend it?

Brothers and sisters, I have none, but that man's father is my father's son. Who is that man?

It'll be fun seeing RS from a more detailed perspective and whats even better is that you can still play RS with the old graphics. I sorta agree with the article and I think it was fair and made you think.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Good read, but they've been planning this for at least a year. You can't say there haven't been any good gameplay updates in the last year... I mean look at summoning, it's great.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

While a very good article, I must say that I disagree, I have been playing now for eight years, and as you all know the last major graphical update was RS2, and that was amazing, it is long over due for us to get another mass graphical update.

We get game content updates almost every week all year. Yes some reworking of old content would be nice, and I agree that Castle Wars needs some serious work I hate playing on an over crowded world, and it is just lame with only a few people. But content updates like this are no reason to ignore the problems with the games graphics, the fact that in 2008 we can still see the squares of the map everywhere, is a problem; RS is the last remaining online game really where this exists, they have to step it up.

I am looking forward to this graphical update greatly, because while its doing the same thing over and over again still at least for a few months I'll get to look at it and go this is really nice, this is why I pay for a membership to RS and not some other game. I have never been lacking content to play on RS ever, and I don't imagine I ever will. If I pull off getting 99 in everything and having done everything I will take this statement back but I know I never will.

Bring on better graphics, and if anyone has any problem with the new graphics enjoy playing on the current ones, that's why they are keeping them and not forcing you to change.

I agree and i disagree. I agree that old mini-games should be updated more often, and that i enjoy more content. I disagree that

Yet Npc's are getting upgraded ever so often, and while that's nice, it's not really needed, they drop the same loot, hit the same and besides being different, don't change the gameplay at all.
I as a 2 1/2 year player like it when monsters or people are updated because it makes them a little less boring. Take for example the goblins, they were very boring in the past but after they were updated it [bleep]es curiosity when people talk about it to there friends. I do like updates on graphics, but they do not need to be large as this is. It was nice when they redid Varrock, if they could do these little updates every 2-3 months it would not be all bad.

On a side note i enjoyed the article and would like to congratulate das on a good job!! Article rating: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

205dw8n.png

I agree, i dont care about the new graphics, most of them are horrible (exept those for towns ect. cause they looked like a pixel scrapjard). When I now look at rs, im horrified, and I put myself the question: What the **** is Jagex thinking!? After they ruined the game in the winter, they even make it worse. Im not a person who starts complaining fastly, but this is really crap. Beside al those stupidities, the game is now filled with bugs: my head dissapears, unicors walking in the same angle as the ground, in chat my head is minimized while my beard is still normal, ectera ectera. Then im lagging eversince the new graphs (even playing on old high detail as i cant look at the new one). They are also changing graphs of items and standard clothing, wich all seem out of poportion, fat, as if they al got 50% pudding in them.

I really do hope the are going to realize what they are doing with the game (actually evertying exept the game). Per example improvements to old minigames (as metioned in topic), a new bank system (also a huge wish from most players for a long long time) and so on.

Greetz

Kolgan :cry:

I agree, i dont care about the new graphics, most of them are horrible (exept those for towns ect. cause they looked like a pixel scrapjard). When I now look at rs, im horrified, and I put myself the question: What the **** is Jagex thinking!? After they ruined the game in the winter, they even make it worse. Im not a person who starts complaining fastly, but this is really crap. Beside al those stupidities, the game is now filled with bugs: my head dissapears, unicors walking in the same angle as the ground, in chat my head is minimized while my beard is still normal, ectera ectera. Then im lagging eversince the new graphs (even playing on old high detail as i cant look at the new one). They are also changing graphs of items and standard clothing, wich all seem out of poportion, fat, as if they al got 50% pudding in them.

I really do hope the are going to realize what they are doing with the game (actually evertying exept the game). Per example improvements to old minigames (as metioned in topic), a new bank system (also a huge wish from most players for a long long time) and so on.

Greetz

Kolgan :cry:

The lag is because of all the people downloading the new version, and all the bugs are because it's still in Beta. By and large, the actual content of the game is unchanged, and it just looks nicer. What is there to complain about? I don't know how you can say the graphics are worse than before. Perhaps you've never done any fishing, but I could point out that it used to be water was a flat sheet of blue. Now it is actually wet. Definitely an improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say this article nailed the issue rather well. As far as I'm concerned they never got a suitable replacement for the old wilderness and Pking as we had known it. Instead they threw us a few mini-games and called it good. They also took away trading, drop parties, and allot of other stuff that made the game enjoyable. Half a year has passed now since they took these things away to stop the Bots; they said to be patient, that they would get things worked out. So what has our patience gotten us? A game that's now more flash than substance. I for one would gladly see the old wilderness, trading, private drop parties, and all the other things brought back if all we had to put up with was the Bots. Even if we had to give up the "new and improved" runescape (which my computer can't play) it would be a fair trade to me. How about you?

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci