New Skill.... Sailing?

Melter

I dare anyone to name any possibly good use for Sailing. Going to new lands? There's definetly better ways to implement the eastern lands. Pirating? Seems idiotic. Seriously, sailing would probably be the worst skill to ever come to Runescape. Sailing is just the over active imagination of the young.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
photoshop

easily edit in a sailboat and take a "not ranked" and put it next to it.

besides, ive seen "pics" of sailing on the hiscores being above and below summoning.

captain_obvious.gif

Wow, this has definetly not been said before...

Why, o why did you bump this anyways?

priest_wiz.png

gallery_2063_3_17264.jpg

Let this thread finish:

Some people think Sailing would be a good idea. Most other people are too narrow minded, and do not feel Sailing would have any purpose. This thread consists of a few pages of people arguing For Sailing being fun, and all the possibilities it could have , and Against Sailing as it sounds boring. It also has a few photoshopped pictures which are quite funny :thumbsup:

I hope this conclusion will let Sailing RIP.... until the next spoiler is released... MUHAHAHAHA :lol:

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

I'm doing this at 01:00 just to prove my point... -.-

Okay. Seen the High-Scores Sailing Icon? Watch this:

[hide=My Guide to making a Fake-Icon on the RuneScape High-Scores in 5 minutes, using paint.]

Make your icon

sailingicon.jpg

Took less then 30 seconds. ~ Start Time Added to Pic

Take a Screenshot of your Hi-Scores, and start editing

sailingicon2.jpg

Edit Away!

sailingicon3.jpg

Start making things right...

sailingicon4.png

Almost Finished...

sailingicon5.png

Patch any holes, dust off any areas that were edited and shade underneath your icon!! FINISH

sailingicon6.png[/hide]

[hide=WHAT? NO! IT CAN'T BE FAKE!]1234788798492.png[/hide]

Imagine what some sad sicko could do, with Adobe Photoshop Elements to that picture? They can easily make it so real, and they can even make it animated (the Adverts on RS). Don't be so easily fooled. If Sailing comes out on RuneScape, then it's about as useful as a Breathing Skill.

NOW LETS KILL THIS THREAD

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

gallery_2063_3_17264.jpg

Let this thread finish:

Some people think Sailing would be a good idea. Most other people are too narrow minded, and do not feel Sailing would have any purpose. This thread consists of a few pages of people arguing For Sailing being fun, and all the possibilities it could have , and Against Sailing as it sounds boring. It also has a few photoshopped pictures which are quite funny :thumbsup:

I hope this conclusion will let Sailing RIP.... until the next spoiler is released... MUHAHAHAHA :lol:

MTG is amazing. what set is that from lol. unabridged?

My Guide to making a Fake-Icon on the RuneScape High-Scores in 5 minutes, using paint.

Make your icon

Edit Away!

Almost Finished...

Patch any holes, dust off any areas that were edited and shade underneath your icon!! FINISH

WHAT? NO! IT CAN'T BE FAKE!

Imagine what some sad sicko could do, with Adobe Photoshop Elements to that picture? They can easily make it so real, and they can even make it animated (the Adverts on RS). Don't be so easily fooled. If Sailing comes out on RuneScape, then it's about as useful as a Breathing Skill.

I'm doing this at 01:00 just to prove my point... -.-

Okay. Seen the High-Scores Sailing Icon? Watch this:

[hide=My Guide to making a Fake-Icon on the RuneScape High-Scores in 5 minutes, using paint.]

Make your icon

sailingicon.jpg

sailingicon2.jpg

Edit Away!

sailingicon3.jpg

sailingicon4.png

Almost Finished...

sailingicon5.png

sailingicon6.png[/hide]

[hide=WHAT? NO! IT CAN'T BE FAKE!]1234788798492.png[/hide]

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 pm

chazzycaz

Post subject: Re: New Skill.... Sailing?

Let this thread finish:

Some people think Sailing would be a good idea. Most other people are too narrow minded, and do not feel Sailing would have any purpose. This thread consists of a few pages of people arguing For Sailing being fun, and all the possibilities it could have , and Against Sailing as it sounds boring. It also has a few photoshopped pictures which are quite funny

I hope this conclusion will let Sailing RIP.... until the next spoiler is released... MUHAHAHAHA

gallery_2063_3_17264.jpg

Let this thread finish:

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Misterknowitall

tard53 wrote:

photoshop

besides, ive seen "pics" of sailing on the hiscores being above and below summoning.

photoshop

captain_obvious.gif

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:39 pm

tard53

photoshop

photoshop

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:32 pm

Numer0_un0

^ amen. Trawler fishing is the closest anyone will ever get to sailing...

^ amen. Trawler fishing is the closest anyone will ever get to sailing...

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:24 pm

RobinHoodie

I dare anyone to name any possibly good use for Sailing. Going to new lands? There's definetly better ways to implement the eastern lands. Pirating? Seems idiotic. Seriously, sailing would probably be the worst skill to ever come to Runescape. Sailing is just the over active imagination of the young.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Saslfraz

Rofl they edited the picture!

I remember the first one had NO summoning on it!

I laugh at you noobs who try to trick people.

Rofl they edited the picture!

I remember the first one had NO summoning on it!

I laugh at you noobs who try to trick people.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 pm

mr_dude160

You know, there are a few reasons why this probably wouldn't happen.

One, if you look in the suggestions forum, on a few of the stickies it says that they are not interested in new forms of transportation. They think there are more than enough ways to get around the runescape world with general ease. Most major places have a teleport, boats go almost anywhere, and are generally very cheap, and you have fairy rings that take you to a LOT of places. What POSSIBLE use could sailing have? And really, does that look like a SAIL on that picture? Really, if you look CLOSELY, it is.... -gasp- the symbol for DEFENCE! If you look at the skills interface, they look quite similar except for the "boat" part, which is just... A wrinkle... Oh noes! A WRINKLE MEANS SAILING!!

Not to mention the fact that the cape is blue and white... And what else is blue and white? The defense cape ;] You are making mountains out of molehills. There is really nothing there. And yes, there may be a new skill. But sailing? HA. Jagex is notorious for putting in images that are never implimented into the game (I.e. dragon pick.)

You know, there are a few reasons why this probably wouldn't happen.

One, if you look in the suggestions forum, on a few of the stickies it says that they are not interested in new forms of transportation. They think there are more than enough ways to get around the runescape world with general ease. Most major places have a teleport, boats go almost anywhere, and are generally very cheap, and you have fairy rings that take you to a LOT of places. What POSSIBLE use could sailing have? And really, does that look like a SAIL on that picture? Really, if you look CLOSELY, it is.... -gasp- the symbol for DEFENCE! If you look at the skills interface, they look quite similar except for the "boat" part, which is just... A wrinkle... Oh noes! A WRINKLE MEANS SAILING!!

Not to mention the fact that the cape is blue and white... And what else is blue and white? The defense cape ;] You are making mountains out of molehills. There is really nothing there. And yes, there may be a new skill. But sailing? HA. Jagex is notorious for putting in images that are never implimented into the game (I.e. dragon pick.)

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Alak_the_Great

People used to be like "OMG, summoning would never work" and blahblahblah.

Now look at the skill, its commonly used and a very good skill. So could sailing.

People used to be like "OMG, summoning would never work" and blahblahblah.

Now look at the skill, its commonly used and a very good skill. So could sailing.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:56 pm

bibliy

i doubt thats a new skill. if it is.. then jagex realy lost touch with runescape.

i doubt thats a new skill. if it is.. then jagex realy lost touch with runescape. :wall:

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:52 pm

matey

As much as I really want Sailing to be real, I'm still a little skeptical of this evidence.

I'm kind of on the fence with it really. If I'd only seen these supposed leaked screenshots, I'd be inclined to disbelieve the whole idea, but some of the things the J-Mods have said, plus the BTS and other various things, has made a small part of me believe it's a possibility.

Either way, I think people are looking far too deep into this whole cape thing. If that really is a boat (or anything else) on it, wouldn't it be bigger and clearer? I think it's just the light casting shadows on the folds, personally.

What's annoying me about this entire thing is the amount of people dismissing sailing as a crap skill before we even know if it exists or not. Use your bloody imagination people, it has great potential.

As much as I really want Sailing to be real, I'm still a little skeptical of this evidence. :P

I'm kind of on the fence with it really. If I'd only seen these supposed leaked screenshots, I'd be inclined to disbelieve the whole idea, but some of the things the J-Mods have said, plus the BTS and other various things, has made a small part of me believe it's a possibility.

Either way, I think people are looking far too deep into this whole cape thing. If that really is a boat (or anything else) on it, wouldn't it be bigger and clearer? I think it's just the light casting shadows on the folds, personally.

What's annoying me about this entire thing is the amount of people dismissing sailing as a crap skill before we even know if it exists or not. Use your bloody imagination people, it has great potential.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:50 pm

Tbfgraphx14

I thought mine was good

I thought mine was good :cry: :P

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:42 pm

brunokiller

Took me 10 minutes in paint.

You gotta get some more proof mate

lendingfake.jpg

:|

Took me 10 minutes in paint.

You gotta get some more proof mate :lol:

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:40 pm

zot_mutske

I'm acutally starting to believe that there will be a sailing skill.. Wow lol.

I'm acutally starting to believe that there will be a sailing skill.. Wow lol.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Alak_the_Great

I doubt we'd get sailing and not a whole new continent to explore.

I know Sailing would be a far more interesting skill than Summoning, I hope we get it.

I doubt we'd get sailing and not a whole new continent to explore.

:P

I know Sailing would be a far more interesting skill than Summoning, I hope we get it.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Tbfgraphx14

KB mistake??

I saw it 20 minutes ago, I'll check if it is still there.

KB mistake?? :-#

I saw it 20 minutes ago, I'll check if it is still there.

kbtypowy6.png

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:13 pm

destro3979

i re did it a little more zoomed in and increased the res... made it blurry but ohh well

i re did it a little more zoomed in and increased the res... made it blurry but ohh well

14693016ks3.jpg

14266459js9.jpg

91631224tz0.jpg

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:12 pm

onauric

Arr! I want to be a mighty pirate! Arr!

Will it be sitting in a boat and measuring winds and adjusting sails and stuff hours after hours? To get from point A to point B? Delivering merchandise perhaps and fending off pirates and storms. Then getting bigger and faster ships while you gain levels and maybe ability to hire some npc crew members. Then some freelancer pirating once and while. On what will the experience be based on?

I could more likely see it as a new minigame, but if it's a new skill then it will be extremely interesting to see how Jagex manages it.

Arr! I want to be a mighty pirate! Arr!

Will it be sitting in a boat and measuring winds and adjusting sails and stuff hours after hours? To get from point A to point B? Delivering merchandise perhaps and fending off pirates and storms. Then getting bigger and faster ships while you gain levels and maybe ability to hire some npc crew members. Then some freelancer pirating once and while. :-k On what will the experience be based on?

I could more likely see it as a new minigame, but if it's a new skill then it will be extremely interesting to see how Jagex manages it.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:18 pm

bobby1167

Dunno could be interesting, I would like it if you could sail around blasting the bad guys and discovering islands and new civilizations and slowly map the entire ocean of runescape. I dont know how you would get levels in it though.. seems like an add-on to construction, but we said that about Summoning and magic so we will see

Dunno could be interesting, I would like it if you could sail around blasting the bad guys and discovering islands and new civilizations and slowly map the entire ocean of runescape. I dont know how you would get levels in it though.. seems like an add-on to construction, but we said that about Summoning and magic so we will see :D

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:47 pm

lowc15

it does look like a sailboat if you look at it sideways. I dont know if it will be this month, or the next but I see a new skill coming soon. It would fall inline with skills being every 6 months also.

it does look like a sailboat if you look at it sideways. I dont know if it will be this month, or the next but I see a new skill coming soon. It would fall inline with skills being every 6 months also.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:31 pm

that was great...

PMG!!! yuu hack r00nskap how yuu get sa1l1ng skill?!?!?!?!?

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Man this is an old thread.

wow: i can see crop lines, the horse is the most fake thing i ever saw, and you even put a highscore on it. Please dont hijack my thread.

How is this hijacking your thread? Aren't we still posting pictures of fake skills we made in mspaint using youtube videos that don't even show the outline of a sailboat?

Hold on, there are rocks on the island! bricklaying skill? The cape looks kinda like an arrow pointing down, as in PUTTING DOWN BRICKS.

No wait! There's an ocean. Do I smell pulling salt from said ocean and selling it on the market? The cape does look kinda like a sieve.

No wait! I can't believe any of you daft noobs didn't think about this. Dragon, Island, Boat, Player, Staff, Cape, Ocean. Clearly it's Player Owned Islands that you receive by reclaiming them from dragons via boats that are filled with horse riding and sailing skill capes, where you leave the boat to come across the staff with unlimited runes in it but you're in 55 wilderness with other players, and the dragon drops the mythical Dragon platebody, but only once you figure out how to train your uncooking level.

Someone needs to give this guy his own talk show.

photoshop

Judging by your need to bump up this nearly year old thread and state the obvious in the same sentence, you fit your username perfectly.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

i dont see why there are so many people saying that sailing would be useless. saying sailing is just going from island to island in a boat is like saying summoning is just having a follower. well in summoning your follower is extremly useful instead of just following you, why cant sailing from island to island be useful?

say you run into an npc pirate ship that you have to battle to save yourself. you and your crew (of npcs or freinds) could be loading cannons or cutting of ropes from grapples fired at you to board your ship. an archer could go onto the crows nest with a longbow made from a rare wood found on a small island. he could shoot arrows tipped with rock arrow heads he learned to make from a native to a larger island he saved form a sea monster.

a mage sitting next to him sets fire to the oposing ships sails with a fire blast or freeze the water around it with an ice burst. a meleer runs across the plank that he set down to cross to the other ship and after a long fight captures the pirates captain alive. all the pirates save one are killed and looted with the last one deciding to join the crew and teach them about pirating,wich the knowledge learned from him is used to loot a merchant ship with a saradomin flag. your own flag could be devoted to any of the major gods or minor ones after a few quests.

after a while on the open sea you gain a seafaring/boating/sailing level(the exp gained constantly while on the boat). you now can make medium sized sails! you get some cloth packed away in a BoB like storage room. you tear down your current sail and put up a new one.you suddenly take off a bit faster than before because of your larger sail!

later you find a bottle in the water and open it to find a tresure map

(aka clue scroll). you veer of to the east onto a strange new land and see a native holding a katana! he sees the ship and says a short spell and turns invisable.

now how can you say sailing is useless with such possiblities?!

please forgive my bad spelling and grammar.

notasandwich000457.png

lolwot125740.png

i dont see why there are so many people saying that sailing would be useless. saying sailing is just going from island to island in a boat is like saying summoning is just having a follower. well in summoning your follower is extremly useful instead of just following you, why cant sailing from island to island be useful?

say you run into an npc pirate ship that you have to battle to save yourself. you and your crew (of npcs or freinds) could be loading cannons or cutting of ropes from grapples fired at you to board your ship. an archer could go onto the crows nest with a longbow made from a rare wood found on a small island. he could shoot arrows tipped with rock arrow heads he learned to make from a native to a larger island he saved form a sea monster.

a mage sitting next to him sets fire to the oposing ships sails with a fire blast or freeze the water around it with an ice burst. a meleer runs across the plank that he set down to cross to the other ship and after a long fight captures the pirates captain alive. all the pirates save one are killed and looted with the last one deciding to join the crew and teach them about pirating,wich the knowledge learned from him is used to loot a merchant ship with a saradomin flag. your own flag could be devoted to any of the major gods or minor ones after a few quests.

after a while on the open sea you gain a seafaring/boating/sailing level(the exp gained constantly while on the boat). you now can make medium sized sails! you get some cloth packed away in a BoB like storage room. you tear down your current sail and put up a new one.you suddenly take off a bit faster than before because of your larger sail!

(aka clue scroll). you veer of to the east onto a strange new land and see a native holding a katana! he sees the ship and says a short spell and turns invisable.

People always say: "uses for other skills", wich is basically Summoning all over again. If you can think of new and fresh things, I invite you to come back.

And I am not interested in staring at water and a boat for a long time.

priest_wiz.png

[hide=]

People always say: "uses for other skills", wich is basically Summoning all over again. If you can think of new and fresh things, I invite you to come back.

[/hide]

why wouldnt you want it to tie in with other skills? and in what other skill can you fight pirates?

notasandwich000457.png

lolwot125740.png

[hide=]

[/hide]

why wouldnt you want it to tie in with other skills?

I would like that, but a stand-alone skill is better at the moment in my opinion.

and in what other skill can you fight pirates?

I think a minigame should be enough for that.

priest_wiz.png

Man - I'm gonna stock up on rope big time - both horsing and boating will probably need rope, and Ima gonna sellem for mega mils!!!!

OT: Highly doubtful a new skill will come out any day soon - there is so much other content awaiting release, it doesn't make sense to throw out a skill yet.

It would not be a very good skill if it was true, it would be very boring.

Yawn, not another closed minded opinion. Unlike some of the others however, this one has no stated reasons or explanations at all. So I address this to you in particular :

If you heard of a suggestion for a skill that involved planting flowers, and growing fruits, would you think it a good idea? I am convinced you would have been one of the people -

Farming sounds boring, whats the point of fruits when you have monkfish?

Farming in fact is a complex skill which has many many uses including an (almost) guarenteed profit every 3 hours thanks to herb farming, Trees which enhance other skills (Herblore), and countless other improvements to the game.

Do you honestly think that a skill in which you have heard only a name of, would automatically be boring and have no use? You people should actually listen to the suggestions of people and CONSIDER them before making a sarcastic, cynical attempt at witticism which, more often than not, fails epicly.

I wont list the possibilities for Sailing, as many people have done so (unsuccessfully) previously, and although I think you would better appreciate them combined with good grammar, layout and persuasive writing, you should not dismiss a suggestion because of your pre-decided opinion of the idea.

I havent seen many objections to the skill other than the basic two : Boring and Pointless. Maybe you can woo me over with some other reasons the skill wouldnt work instead of something so basic and (dare I say it) unintelligent.

So maybe in the future one might agree to disagree, and leave their disapproval of the idea in a post in the thread, without returning to it every few hours to leave an extra dim-witted comment to further bump this flaming thread, and give yourself another undeserved post to your count.

Well look at that! Elitzur you were not the main target of that rant, you were just the spark that lit the fire. Glad it allowed me to vent, either way.

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

idk why everyone says that sailing would be boring. there could be so many ways to make it an interesting skill; like sailing to hundreds of new island, each with their own inhabitants, training spots, new fish, new monsters, new trees, new ores maybe?

all from sailing.

you people simply arent using their imagination

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I can't wait for the new "Smoking" skill where when you reach lvl 99 you're character develops various forms of cancer and dies of multi-systemic organ failure. :ohnoes:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

idk why everyone says that sailing would be boring. there could be so many ways to make it an interesting skill; like sailing to hundreds of new island, each with their own inhabitants, training spots, new fish, new monsters, new trees, new ores maybe?

all from sailing.

you people simply arent using their imagination

then it would be just an update to already existing skills :|

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

They need to update existing skills, not push new ones. The skills are getting more bizarre with each release. And, I can't believe im even wasting my time with this, but why would they have one new row rammed in at the bottom for a new skill, especially when in game databases are often still incorrect YEARS after a feature has already been released? For example, NPC contact is said to require Dream Mentor to use, but I use it all the time and have never done Dream Mentor.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

They need to update existing skills, not push new ones. The skills are getting more bizarre with each release. And, I can't believe im even wasting my time with this, but why would they have one new row rammed in at the bottom for a new skill, especially when in game databases are often still incorrect YEARS after a feature has already been released? For example, NPC contact is said to require Dream Mentor to use, but I use it all the time and have never done Dream Mentor.

I agree that we don't need new skills, but the one that we have that you call "bizarre" are in fact, very awesome, convenient, and fun.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3