9 July 2008 - Jagex Store and RuneScape Novel

Xecer

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they surely wont get any business from me until they add some different products. I have never in my life read a fictional novel and I don't intend on starting anytime soon.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Super mod FTW. Pointing you in the direction of your own thread. I think a skillcape shirt was a good idea, but honestly what I'd like is an actual skillcape. I'd wear it all the time...

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Well they surely wont get any business from me until they add some different products. I have never in my life read a fictional novel and I don't intend on starting anytime soon.

Any reason you insist, so lucidly, on ignorance?

afflictionbanner2jf6.png

40 Barrows trips, 4 Barrows equipment (Guthans Helm, Veracs Helm, Ahrims Skirt, Dharoks Helm)

"Ignorance is bliss." :XD:

But seriously, I love reading. Of course, I have my preferences on what I read and how much I spend on books (meaning I'm not going to buy this book), but, form a business sense on the part of Jagex, it does make sense and I hope they put the money to good use... Like fixing the GE.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Reading is boring and outdated. I can finish a good movie in a couple hours and then have time to go make a sandwich. Theres no time in this world to read a work of fiction that wouldn't entertain me anyway. I can't think of one good reason to read a book instead of watch a movie or play through a game. Reading a fictional novel is nothing but a waste of time.

Books will be gone in 100 years.

Myweponsgood.gif

Reading is boring and outdated. I can finish a good movie in a couple hours and then have time to go make a sandwich. Theres no time in this world to read a work of fiction that wouldn't entertain me anyway. I can't think of one good reason to read a book instead of watch a movie or play through a game. Reading a fictional novel is nothing but a waste of time.

Paper books may be gone in 100 years, but that's because we'll have computers that will flip the figurative page on your voice command. So you can read it on your computer monitor. Mwahaha.

Watching movies is boring. I can read a good book and it will keep me entertained 3 times as long as a movie at least. I can't think of one good reason to watch a movie instead of reading a good book. Watching movies is nothing but a waste of time.

newsigac5.png

Paper books may be gone in 100 years, but that's because we'll have computers that will flip the figurative page on your voice command. So you can read it on your computer monitor. Mwahaha.

Watching movies is boring. I can read a good book and it will keep me entertained 3 times as long as a movie at least. I can't think of one good reason to watch a movie instead of reading a good book. Watching movies is nothing but a waste of time.

Reading a book has no images or sound. If I wanted to "enjoy" a story that I have to picture in my head, I would just sit here and start imagining things. Books are for people who like to use their imagination but are too lazy to do it themselves. Even if movies AND books are a waste of time, movies waste 1000% less time.

Myweponsgood.gif

£13 for a RuneScape book, it may appeal to some people but for me I'll give it a pass. It is interesting to see Jagex expand into merchandising, I'm curious to see what else they start making.

£13 for a RuneScape book, it may appeal to some people but for me I'll give it a pass. It is interesting to see Jagex expand into merchandising, I'm curious to see what else they start making.

I'll scan every page and put it up for download :thumbsup:

I love movies and books but they're 2 completely different things

Books last longer and help you understand things which you may never experience in your life - no movie can accomplish that.

A couple of good examples are Wasp Factory by Ian Bainks and Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger. By giving you a view through the eyes of a character with (perhaps) no relationship to yourself with access to all their thoughts. Furthurmore, some books have had a profound impact on society that things wouldn't be the same without them. How often do you hear people talk about big brother or room 101? Without George Orwell and 1984 none of it would exist and perhaps we would be under constant surveilance from the government and things would be much worse. Books like 1984 opened the eyes of the general public. That is why books (even ficticious ones) are so important.

I don't want to go into film right now but I personally believe that film plays an important part in society too and that, as an art form, it is both extremely interesting and insightful.

I know this has little to do with the original topic (especially as I doubt the Runescape novel with have an impact on society) but I wanted to let you know why I think books are important and maybe even get Myweponsg00d to read something and understand what I mean ;)

afflictionbanner2jf6.png

40 Barrows trips, 4 Barrows equipment (Guthans Helm, Veracs Helm, Ahrims Skirt, Dharoks Helm)

Books are not a waste of time... they expand your vocabulary and tell story's about characters you may have no relation to.books and movies are two different things, you cannot compare them, unless the book has been made into a movie.

Cheers.

InferniBoy

Depending on the tone/maturity of the writing it could be very interesting, Runescapes history APPEARS quite simple because people just rush through it during quests (for the most part, and certainly the people complaining like two year olds {wah books are lame} on this thread do) but is infact very deep with many levels to be explored, I probably won't buy the book but I'm shocked at the negative response this got from some people.

Books last longer and help you understand things which you may never experience in your life - no movie can accomplish that.

A couple of good examples are Wasp Factory by Ian Bainks and Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger. By giving you a view through the eyes of a character with (perhaps) no relationship to yourself with access to all their thoughts. Furthurmore, some books have had a profound impact on society that things wouldn't be the same without them. How often do you hear people talk about big brother or room 101? Without George Orwell and 1984 none of it would exist and perhaps we would be under constant surveilance from the government and things would be much worse. Books like 1984 opened the eyes of the general public. That is why books (even ficticious ones) are so important.

I don't want to go into film right now but I personally believe that film plays an important part in society too and that, as an art form, it is both extremely interesting and insightful.

I know this has little to do with the original topic (especially as I doubt the Runescape novel with have an impact on society) but I wanted to let you know why I think books are important and maybe even get Myweponsg00d to read something and understand what I mean ;)

I'm pretty sure I would rather read an autobiography of a REAL person than have my eyes "opened" to a world that was created by somebody. We had to read 1984 in high school. I read the cliff notes and fully understood any of the questions we were asked about Orwell's "themes" or his messages or whatever you wish to call it. And I didn't have to read every whimsical part of the character's journey to understand what he was trying to get across.

Myweponsgood.gif

I'm pretty sure I would rather read an autobiography of a REAL person than have my eyes "opened" to a world that was created by somebody. We had to read 1984 in high school. I read the cliff notes and fully understood any of the questions we were asked about Orwell's "themes" or his messages or whatever you wish to call it. And I didn't have to read every whimsical part of the character's journey to understand what he was trying to get across.

Oh, so you would rather read a DOCUMENTARY? :roll:

newsigac5.png

Ps, cant wait for the bank update, think the new banks will have tabs?

Take your bank, for example. Many players have called for a better way of managing it, to help sort and organise the mess of herbs, long forgotten quest objects and holiday items. So, this month we will be adding a few features, the most prominent of which will be a new tabbing structure. This will allow you to order your bank according to categories that you define: you could gather your runes together on one tab, for example, and food on another. There will also be a search button and extra options for banking and removal that will aid you when moving quantities of items about.

a1d50c4e9b.png

269 QP | All Stats 60+ (except Summoning) | Barrows Drops: 8 | Dragon Drops: 1

Reading a book has no images or sound. If I wanted to "enjoy" a story that I have to picture in my head, I would just sit here and start imagining things. Books are for people who like to use their imagination but are too lazy to do it themselves. Even if movies AND books are a waste of time, movies waste 1000% less time.

I love movies and books, but for depth of experience you need to read, 700 pages gives much more information/intracy of detail than even a 5/10 hour film could. I don't understand how you think reading is for lazy people because it requires much more attentiveness than a watching something on the big screen.

Ifyour imagination is good enough to compete with a novel then you should write for a living.