9 July 2008 - Jagex Store and RuneScape Novel

Xecer

I love movies and books but they're 2 completely different things

Books last longer and help you understand things which you may never experience in your life - no movie can accomplish that.

A couple of good examples are Wasp Factory by Ian Bainks and Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger. By giving you a view through the eyes of a character with (perhaps) no relationship to yourself with access to all their thoughts. Furthurmore, some books have had a profound impact on society that things wouldn't be the same without them. How often do you hear people talk about big brother or room 101? Without George Orwell and 1984 none of it would exist and perhaps we would be under constant surveilance from the government and things would be much worse. Books like 1984 opened the eyes of the general public. That is why books (even ficticious ones) are so important.

I don't want to go into film right now but I personally believe that film plays an important part in society too and that, as an art form, it is both extremely interesting and insightful.

I know this has little to do with the original topic (especially as I doubt the Runescape novel with have an impact on society) but I wanted to let you know why I think books are important and maybe even get Myweponsg00d to read something and understand what I mean ;)

I'm pretty sure I would rather read an autobiography of a REAL person than have my eyes "opened" to a world that was created by somebody. We had to read 1984 in high school. I read the cliff notes and fully understood any of the questions we were asked about Orwell's "themes" or his messages or whatever you wish to call it. And I didn't have to read every whimsical part of the character's journey to understand what he was trying to get across.

Oh, so you would rather read a DOCUMENTARY? :roll:

Documentary usually referrs to a film...but yes, I would rather read any non fictional information than a fiction novel.

I love movies and books, but for depth of experience you need to read, 700 pages gives much more information/intracy of detail than even a 5/10 hour film could.

It would take a writer 10 pages to completely describe everything that is going on in one minute of a film clip. EVERY detail, every expression, all the surroundings. A picture is worth a thousand words. A movie is worth a billion.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are missing the point: both books and movies are literature. Just in different forms just like poems and plays. They all can tell a point, but differently.

But back to the topic... the RS book seems a tad too much for me at the moment. If it ever becomes placed in a library I'll certainly take a read.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

You guys are missing the point: both books and movies are literature. Just in different forms just like poems and plays. They all can tell a point, but differently.

But back to the topic... the RS book seems a tad too much for me at the moment. If it ever becomes placed in a library I'll certainly take a read.

So they're both literature and serve the same purpose. Then the choice is obvious to pick the medium that stimulates the visual and audible realms. AKA the more exciting one where you don't have to use your imagination and it drains less time out of your day.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

So they're both literature and serve the same purpose. Then the choice is obvious to pick the medium that stimulates the visual and audible realms. AKA the more exciting one where you don't have to use your imagination and it drains less time out of your day.

Why do you insist on movies?

Can't you just accept that there are people that like books more then movies? Reading a book ofcourse longer as you have mentioned many times, but you obviously don't understand that people like enjoyable things to be longer, personally I like very long books more then short ones..

Just let it go, it's just matter of what someone likes, you like movies more, thats ok, you don't have to convince everyone that movies are better, because some people just enjoy books more.

Can't you just accept that there are people that like books more then movies? Reading a book ofcourse longer as you have mentioned many times, but you obviously don't understand that people like enjoyable things to be longer, personally I like very long books more then short ones..

Just let it go, it's just matter of what someone likes, you like movies more, thats ok, you don't have to convince everyone that movies are better, because some people just enjoy books more.

I'd like you to show me where I started anything. I said I wouldn't ever read a book in my life and someone called me ignorant for it and asked if there was any reason for me to feel that way. So I explained my views. Anything wrong with that?

Myweponsgood.gif

I would read a Runescape novel. But pay like $30 for it? No thanks.

Edit: Woah. Best idea for Runescape merchandise! A hat/cap/beanie with a protect from melee sign on it. I own. 8-)

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

All I will say further is that books give you the freedom to see things and experience things your way. A movie is someone else's vision shown to you.

I don't mean to offend anyone I'm just statung my opinion but it is fact that you are ignorant if you say you never intend to read a book if it fictitous.

afflictionbanner2jf6.png

40 Barrows trips, 4 Barrows equipment (Guthans Helm, Veracs Helm, Ahrims Skirt, Dharoks Helm)

I'd like you to show me where I started anything. I said I wouldn't ever read a book in my life and someone called me ignorant for it and asked if there was any reason for me to feel that way. So I explained my views. Anything wrong with that?

No, but it is wrong to say something along the lines of

So people should choose the medium that stimulates the visual senses.
newsigac5.png

Nothing wrong with not liking books, definite wrong with saying books are for lazy people and that they don't hold the same detail as a film, noones going to let that slide. Watch Apocalypse now (great film, amazing acting, brilliant effects/sound) then read The Afghan ( great book, intelligent but no overly-prosaic writing, a level of attention to deatil you wont see in a book (the importance of a sound, the change in atmospheric pressure etc... things you'll never get in any film). I wouldn't say either is better than the other because I wouldn't ever compare cross genre pieces but both have very different strong and weak points.

Very interesting. Merchandising products seems so widespread these days (comics, brand names, music groups), so it was probably only a matter of time before Jagex joined the crowd.

I'm not sure what to think about the novel, though. Playing through the quests, Runescape doesn't seem to take itself very seriously; the style is very tongue-in-cheek. It'd be strange reading a serious, grand, "epic", fantasy novel based on a fun and playful universe.

As for books vs. movies... While movies do engage the auditory and visual senses more fully then books, movies are a little sloppier at illustrating more abstract concepts. An actor can convey emotion though expression and behavior, but a writer can describe exactly what the character is feeling and thinking, and the format of a book is more conducive for taking these thoughts and feelings on an interesting tangent, whereas a movie is constrained by pace and timing. In short, books are good for thought and detail, whereas movies are good for a more passive and less precise ingestion of knowledge and entertainment.

Also, you'll always see more books then movies being produced, since it's cheaper to make a good book then a good movie.

"Less is more" -- Mies

Hell, I'll buy it. I haven't read a good book in awhile. It'll be worth the read I guess.

If they came out with LEGO Runescape, I'd die of laughter. I might buy a few for the fun of it. I use to love those as a kid. :geek:

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

Looks very good on the cover, sounds good, and since we all play the game, we should all understand what's going on inside it. Order no. 179 here....besides, does anybody wonder what they would do if they got the book that was signed by author and andrew gower.....i'm thinking a nice trophy shelf for it >_>.

I find that a lot of people don't give the storylines in runescape as much credit as they should. Some of the plot lines are rather interesting and tie in with other aspects of the game rather well.

As far as I am concerned, it was only a matter of time before Jegex created a novel for their game. The description given on the site hardly give me the impression of it being 'epic', as described. However the back cover does give a better idea as to what the story is about.

When family ties unleash a lethal ------, can friendship temper righteous anger?

When a land is corrupted by its guardians' treachery, can it be saved by the trust of strangers?

When a kingdom is left divided by its rulers, can it be ----ed by war?

As Squire Theodore of the Knights of Falador and the mysterious adventuress Kara see their altogether differing lives converge, they find themselves at the heart of a struggle which threatens all they hold dear.

I can't quite make out a few of the words, however I think you can get the general idea.

However, despite being an avid reader myself, I can't see myself paying that much for this book, since I am also assuming that the listed price doesn't include shipping costs.

Artemis_42.png

"Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- Ansem, Kingdom Hearts

I find that a lot of people don't give the storylines in runescape as much credit as they should. Some of the plot lines are rather interesting and tie in with other aspects of the game rather well.

As far as I am concerned, it was only a matter of time before Jegex created a novel for their game. The description given on the site hardly give me the impression of it being 'epic', as described. However the back cover does give a better idea as to what the story is about.

When family ties unleash a lethal ------, can friendship temper righteous anger?

When a land is corrupted by its guardians' treachery, can it be saved by the trust of strangers?

When a kingdom is left divided by its rulers, can it be ----ed by war?

As Squire Theodore of the Knights of Falador and the mysterious adventuress Kara see their altogether differing lives converge, they find themselves at the heart of a struggle which threatens all they hold dear.

I can't quite make out a few of the words, however I think you can get the general idea.

However, despite being an avid reader myself, I can't see myself paying that much for this book, since I am also assuming that the listed price doesn't include shipping costs.

First word, not sure unless it's demon, 2nd word is UNITed

newsigac5.png

lol i can just see the storie. omfg lulz som3on3 n34rly k1ll3d t3h w0m3n! zomg lulz phr33 stuff p10x! :lol:

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

How much does it cost to Pre-Order it?

EDIT: Never mind, just saw the price, =p. $22.99.

Aww, I'm not allowed to order until tomorrow, because somebody got my family's Mastercard number, and it won't let us use Discover, >.>.

I would pre-order the book but I'm from Argentina, it's probably very expensive to bring it here :(

Woah. Best idea for Runescape merchandise! A hat/cap/beanie with a protect from melee sign on it. I own. 8-)

LOL! that would own!

16185_s.gif

I would pre-order the book but I'm from Argentina, it's probably very expensive to bring it here :(

Woah. Best idea for Runescape merchandise! A hat/cap/beanie with a protect from melee sign on it. I own. 8-)

LOL! that would own!

Lmao, interesting. ;)

Follow me on Twitter!

FORGET NOT THE CHICKEN.

gravy.png

I have no intrest in helping "keyers" farm xp.

£13 for a RuneScape book, it may appeal to some people but for me I'll give it a pass. It is interesting to see Jagex expand into merchandising, I'm curious to see what else they start making.

I'll scan every page and put it up for download :thumbsup:

Isn't that...you know...illigal?

£13 for a RuneScape book, it may appeal to some people but for me I'll give it a pass. It is interesting to see Jagex expand into merchandising, I'm curious to see what else they start making.

I'll scan every page and put it up for download :thumbsup:

Isn't that...you know...illegal?

Inside of most published books it usually says...

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage or retrieval system without written permission from the publishers

So yes. It is illegal.

LAWYERED!

]

Inside of most published books it usually says...

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage or retrieval system without written permission from the publishers

So yes. It is illegal.

LAWYERED!

If you rip that page out (that says that) and then do it technically it's not illegal, they really have to sort the laws out lol.

Lol, I actually hate runescape history. But yeah sounds good, do they really need more money though

More money = revenue to pull from when developing the game farther... So IMO heck yes they do.

Please Visit my Blog!

sig.jpg

- Experienced Monster Hunter - Forced Retirement Staker - Privite Chat is always ON -

1 Draconic Visage 26 Dragon Drops 1 GWD Drops 17 DK Drops 13 Coinshared Items