SAT Reasoning Test (who's ready?)

punk4ever

For most living in the United States, the SAT is synonymous with "painful" and "agonizing." Those who do not know what the SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test) is, I'll briefly explain. It's a test which is conducted several times throughout the year and it tests your mathematics, grammar, writing, and reading comprehension. Colleges/universities use it as an entrance requirement, and it can, without overstating it, make or break your chances of getting into a good university. Of course admittance does not solely depending on this, but it is quite important.

The last exam is this Saturday, June 4th and you won't be able to take it again until Fall of this year. So, is anyone as worried as I am? :shock: I have personally been studying for the last few months and feel that the hardest section will be the grammar one (where you identiy sentence errors). The practice tests I have been taking so far clearly show my grammar weakness (arrgh :oops:) but everything else seems "okay." My goal is a 2200 (out of 2400), I really hope I make it to at least that high :cry:

Anyone else nervious/anxious?

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

The only tests I ever studied for was math ones, the reading, grammar, etc all just seems natural, like "What the hell? This doesn't sound right..." so I never studied for things like that, and I always did well.

Good luck. You'll do fine, just make sure you read it over a few times, and always go with your first instict, never change an answer, thats how I got most of my errors. :P

The only tests I ever studied for was math ones, the reading, grammar, etc all just seems natural, like "What the hell? This doesn't sound right..." so I never studied for things like that, and I always did well.

Good luck. You'll do fine, just make sure you read it over a few times, and always go with your first instict, never change an answer, thats how I got most of my errors. :P

Thanks, Chris. I took the ACT and got a 28, so I got a pretty good idea of what to look out for. We lost touch long ago, PM me your MSN if you want to catch up :)

punk4ever.gif

Thanks, Chris. I took the ACT and got a 28, so I got a pretty good idea of what to look out for. We lost touch long ago, PM me your MSN if you want to catch up :)

yea I never took the SAT, I took the ACT, I got a...26? Or something? Maybe 28? I don't remember actually, lol.

I'm taking two SAT IIs on Saturday. Math IIC and Literature (actually, I signed up for Chemistry, but I'm so unprepared... so, I plan on switching the day of the test). I'm freaking out more or less. I've already taken the Math IC and Writing SAT IIs. But I haven't taken the SAT I yet! Plan on taking it in October.

My goal is a 2200 (out of 2400), I really hope I make it to at least that high :cry:

Saaame. My friend got a perfect score. Needless to say, I'm a bit jealous. :lol:

kosig.jpg

after a night of partying, my mom wakes me up at 7 in the morning to tell me i have the SAT. i drive to the place half asleep before i realize what i am actually doing. thats how my studying went :lol: 700 math 570 verbal, that was my sophmore year. its good enough to get into most colleges, so i wouldnt worry at all. unless you want to go to harvard or something...

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I took the SAT earlier this Year. It wasn't horible, but it was quite booring. Although i didn't do as well as i thought, it was mostly practice.

In a few weeks i'm going to be taking the ACT O.o. I've kind of studied for it using this cd thingy, and it seems like it will be easy enough.

Guest GhostRanger

I've never taken the SAT and I don't ever plan on taking the SAT.

I got a 30 on the ACT the first time I took it and the school I'm going to doesn't require the SAT so I'm satisfied. :D

I'm already in college but I still plan on taking the SAT in the fall just because lol. I'm also planning on retaking the ACT''s as I only got a 29 on it the first time. Maybe this time I should try studying a little and actually sleep the night before. I have taken the PSAT and got a perfect score on it. Most of the pratice tests I've seen for it have been basically common sense with grammar for me at least.

At least you've identified your weak point so just work on it as much as you can before you take the test. Just remember not to overdue it and burn out on it.

pedestrian01.png

I'm already in college but I still plan on taking the SAT in the fall just because lol. I'm also planning on retaking the ACT''s as I only got a 29 on it the first time. Maybe this time I should try studying a little and actually sleep the night before. I have taken the PSAT and got a perfect score on it. Most of the pratice tests I've seen for it have been basically common sense with grammar for me at least.

At least you've identified your weak point so just work on it as much as you can before you take the test. Just remember not to overdue it and burn out on it.

Perfect PSAT score? Have you gotten into the National Merit Honors programs?

punk4ever.gif

I don't have to worry about it, but best of luck to those that do. :)

You can still take it, if you want to apply for an American University/College. If thats what you mean that you don't have to worry about it because your in Canada ;).

I'm taking it in the fall, because I have school finals in next 2 weeks or so, and that is more important right now.

You can still take it, if you want to apply for an American University/College. If thats what you mean that you don't have to worry about it because your in Canada ;).

I'm taking it in the fall, because I have school finals in next 2 weeks or so, and that is more important right now.

Besty going to an American Uni? :o Talk to me on MSN :P

punk4ever.gif

Besty going to an American Uni? :o Talk to me on MSN :P

It's a possibilty. I'm guessing I have to log on msn to talk to you :P I haven't been on Msn for ages (Rs one). Anyways, back on topic, the only chance I'm going to an American Uni is if I can play soccer there, otherwise Ill be going to one where I live, and play soccer there :P.

You still have [email protected] added? If so, I guess I could log on for once :lol:

As a senior, I'm not particularly worried about the test anymore :x Seeing as I'm already in college :x However, best of luck to the rest of you!!

Don't worry, if you've taken practice tests, you'll do fine... AND you'll probably go up since the last practice test you've taken. I'm glad the writing section wasn't on it when I took it, because I did a bit worse on that (well, the writing SAT II) than the other sections. Although the writing SAT II counted just as much. Ehh.

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

i took the SAT last november, i went in not really caring how i did, my scores didnt really matter that much, but i ended up with a 1220 or so, 610 on both sections, pretty weak, but i got bored, and yeah, i stopped doing the work, so try not to get bored lol

Ugh, SATs are now tomorrow. In fact, they'll start less than 12 hours from now. This'll be my second time taking the newer one, as I took it before in March, when it was first released. Got a 2090. Not bad, but not good enough. So I'm also going for at least 2200. Best of luck to all of us taking it.

Ugh, SATs are now tomorrow. In fact, they'll start less than 12 hours from now. This'll be my second time taking the newer one, as I took it before in March, when it was first released. Got a 2090. Not bad, but not good enough. So I'm also going for at least 2200. Best of luck to all of us taking it.

Not good enough? Sigh..smart people and their high expectations. My goal was a 2000 when I took it and got a 1930. I got a 1220 on the old one so I believe that I did better. I'll probably go for a 2050 next time.

Heh, the SATs. That test has practically become more about taking THE specific test than actually knowing the information. For someone who actually cares, it's really not that difficult to do well on it. So I'm sure you will do fine Punk. :D

I took the SATs twice in my junior year of high school, so a few years back when it was out of 1600 still. First time was a 1540, second a 1560. Only lost points on analogy questions both times. And now for you people they are all gone. Lucky. :P

I privately tutor some kids in taking the test, so I am very familiar with the new test. The grammar section seems the easiest to me now, then math, then verbal. One of my kids broke his goal of 2200 with a 2250, so I was pretty happy about that. The rest (about 4 others) didn't break their goals on the March testing, so they are taking it again today. Well, right this second actually. :P I'm eagerly awaiting for them to get out and call me and tell me how the test was.

With all that aside, SAT tutoring is really pointless to me. Tutors and programs (including me) charge ridiculous amounts of money for SAT tutoring, since it is such an important test. However, if you are self-motivated enough, you will be able to learn everything the tutor will teach you by yourself. If you aren't self-motivated, then the tutor won't be able to help you anyway. I hate it when I get a kid whose parents forced him to come to me. It becomes such a pain in the tush to work with him because he won't want to learn or be there. So if you want to do well and were thinking about getting a tutor or going to Kaplan or something, don't waste your money. They will teach you the same things as you could learn yourself, if you wanted to, for a much less amount of money or even free. I never went to any tutoring and I still did very well.

If everyone listened to me, I'd be out of business. Oh well. :P

Good luck to everyone taking the SAT right now! Should be on section 5 or so right now.

Reflections?

I just got out and, personally, the math section was hardest for me. Out of the first two match sections I left around 7 blank (when you add them together). :shock: Really disappointed about that since I usually get like 85% of all the questions correctly on the practice tests I take :|

*sigh*

I think I did extraordinary on the Critical Reading section and grammar as well. Time will tell I suppose, but I don't know if I really did make that 2200 :oops: No matter, I'll go for the gold in the Fall most likely.

punk4ever.gif