It's like a Runescape you can play with...Outside!

kazumaishimaru

Chatting would be possible via quickchat only on a console.

Evey player would have to own/buy said console to continue playing or quit.

You would have to pay the consoles fee (xbox live and equivilent for other consoles) and from my experiance, that is going to cost much more per month than RuneScape does.

Conclusion: RuneScape population would likely be reduced to 500,000 players at most while WoW would become the cheepest well known alternative in the face of console internet subscription costs. RuneScape would die.

Nnow if it became a computer game like WoW is, then you migth see a halt in growth. One of the advantages runescape has is that you don't need to buy a cd and then a month of subscription to see if you like the game. You just get f2p and demo as long as you like, maybe get a head start then get members.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chatting would be possible via quickchat only on a console.

Evey player would have to own/buy said console to continue playing or quit.

You would have to pay the consoles fee (xbox live and equivilent for other consoles) and from my experiance, that is going to cost much more per month than RuneScape does.

Conclusion: RuneScape population would likely be reduced to 500,000 players at most while WoW would become the cheepest well known alternative in the face of console internet subscription costs. RuneScape would die.

Nnow if it became a computer game like WoW is, then you migth see a halt in growth. One of the advantages runescape has is that you don't need to buy a cd and then a month of subscription to see if you like the game. You just get f2p and demo as long as you like, maybe get a head start then get members.

You misunderstood me. I don't mean RS should migrate competely over to consoles, I am suggesting that RS should expand its platform base. All of above is under the assumption that the different platforms would be linked (like how RS worlds are all linked and disregard whether you're using a Mac, PC, or Linux), and PC gamers would still be the biggest player-base. I highly doubt more player base would somehow alienate us -- the traditional players.

You did bring up a good point regarding console fees. I also doubt anyone in the right mind would paying for xbox live and rs monthly just to play rs. In fact, rs probably would never complete well with console games glitzy graphics, but I do think we may have an opportunity in mobile games. Like the jailbreaked IPhone user mentioned earlier, it's viable for RS to expand there, and we'll probably have an easier time competing, looking at the current mobile phone gaming choices.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

it would not be a good move for jagex to move runescape to a hand held game... if they were trying to attract a much younger audience maybe but do u think all the 16+ player would go out and buy a Nintendo Ds just to play runescape...probably not.

Keessig.jpg

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

click for teh bloggy.

ty to swaggeh for sig!

I would hate for Runescape to move away from being a browser game. If it changed where it was played, the game play would have to change as well, every console has different ways of playing the game. I don't think a changed Runescape would be worth playing for me.

On the other hand, I don't believe this would ever happen, but if Runescape moved to the DS I would not buy it. I hate the DS console for one, and secondly, I am not straining my eyes on that tiny screen with tiny writing.

I would hate for Runescape to move away from being a browser game. If it changed where it was played, the game play would have to change as well, every console has different ways of playing the game. I don't think a changed Runescape would be worth playing for me.

On the other hand, I don't believe this would ever happen, but if Runescape moved to the DS I would not buy it. I hate the DS console for one, and secondly, I am not straining my eyes on that tiny screen with tiny writing.

That's because its ment for tiny eyes.

it would not be a good move for jagex to move runescape to a hand held game...

As I think it was said earlier, Jagex wouldn't move completly over to it. The game would only be a little part of the whole experiance.

do u think all the 16+ player would go out and buy a Nintendo Ds just to play runescape...probably not.

I can't speak for you, but I see people over 16 with the DS a lot. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the DS is pretty popular. (around here anyway)

And what do you mean tiny screen? It's not like it's huge, but it's not tiny.

I am nice. . .

That's because its ment for tiny eyes.

LOL I really laughed out loud.

On Topic: I would love to have a handheld Runescape that operated on WiFi. I wouldn't change any aspects of the game for this though, just allow Runescape to be playable on a 7" screen with a stylus.

I think this game could easily be made into a handheld game. Sure, the game would not be an mmo, and quite possible not an rpg, but it could be done.

Square Enix has reworked Final Fantasy into so many different game generas, and has adapted to different systems. Therefor, it is possible.

Stellactic.gif

This would be an awesome idea!

Though you'd have to solo all the bosses :lol:!

There could always be the option of bosses for online play. :D

People go into a room to find a team, then get sent to a personal area to fight a big bad boss.

I am nice. . .

It could be done on the DS. But you would have to be able to have two different types of play: Online, and Offline. Online you would be continuously connected to N-WFC. Offline would be filled with bots that gather resources and kill monsters and have their own stats (maybe 100 - 250 bots with preset stats in every skill.. Every 30 minutes or so the bots would go to do a different activity.

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

People have actually managed to play RuneScape on PSPs and Wiis. ;)

How the hell did they get it on the Wii?

Actually, I just searched that on Google and found something interesting...

I went into a few forums that also talked about runescape going to a platform and there seems to have been an article on CVG with Gower talking about wanting to move to a platform.(mind you it's about a year old)

He talks about porting the game to a platform "not being a huge amount of work". The only problem was that he his eyes were looking at the PS3...and that it would be slower updates.

Also on the forums....everyone apperantly hates Runescape...(tonight at eleven :lol: )

I am nice. . .

An Interview with Mr Gower

Runescape developer Jagex has revealed a console version of its browser-based fantasy MMO is something it keeps considering, with the arrival of Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 making such more tempting than ever before.

"It's certainly more interesting with the current generation of consoles of course because they're far more internet-connected than the previous generation and it just wasn't worth looking at," the game's creator Andrew Gower told us recently.

"But with the PS3 and Xbox 360 and the Wii, it's much more tempting, I have to say."

Talking about PS3 specifically, Gower said that Jagex could probably get Runescape running on the machine right now, adding overall that "Technically porting the game to different platforms isn't a huge amount of work."

However, he explained the reason the developer's "slightly reluctant" to bring the MMO to too many different platforms "is because the more platforms that we're on, the more we have to update in parallel and that would slow us down."

"We've always tried to be a very agile company whereby if the players say they want something, or there's something not quite right, we'll fix it there and then," Gower said.

"We're loath to lose the rapid response... that we've got at the moment, and the more platforms we go to the more that happens, so it's a bit of a trade off."

Gower said there was nothing he could talk about at the moment regarding actual plans to bring Runescape to console. The game, which consists of both free and subscription versions, recently hit one million subscribers and boasts over 5 million active players.

dragon_elf45.png

Dragon_elf45.png

"We've always tried to be a very agile company whereby if the players say they want something, or there's something not quite right, we'll fix it there and then," Gower said.

Lol'd.

Well, I probably wouldn't use it, seeing as how I don't have a gameboy or whatever it is these days, but I would think that the issue would be with the whole 'massively multiplayer' aspect being absent.. :|

As for RS on consoles, well, that might be interesting, if they could figure out how to fit all the controls onto ~8-10 buttons/triggers and a pair of joysticks... I don't know, maybe the same way that they've been putting RTS games on consoles, however that is. (ugh, after all this time, the word 'joystick' still don't sound right..)

On another note, I am VERY happy that this thread isn't about Runescape LARPing... :roll:

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

On another note, I am VERY happy that this thread isn't about Runescape LARPing... :roll:

:lol:

My god... that made me laugh so hard just now. I don't even think people do that for this game...do they? No, don't tell me....let me try and keep some faith in mankind.

I am nice. . .

if runescape moved to a console how would you do things like fletching or cooking?

would it be like an fps?

seems like it would be much easier just to leave it on the computer. i dont think many people are going to fork over $60 plus membership fees and pay for xbox live to play runescape when games like cod4, halo 3, and half life are out there for the same console.

if runescape moved to a console how would you do things like fletching or cooking?

would it be like an fps?

seems like it would be much easier just to leave it on the computer. i dont think many people are going to fork over $60 plus membership fees and pay for xbox live to play runescape when games like cod4, halo 3, and half life are out there for the same console.

Well, assuming it came to a system, it would probably not include all the skills....who knows, they might put new ones in just for the game :)

As to membership fees for X-box...Gower did say he was looking more at the PS3, and (correct me if I'm wrong) Sony doesn't charge for their Wi-Fi. (same with Nintendo)

I am nice. . .