Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

57018 replies to this topic

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,039 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
I'm salaried, no such thing as overtime pay.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

murder

• Dax likes this

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

murder them

• Dax likes this

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

I'm salaried, no such thing as overtime pay.

it's more to make the point that there's no such thing as free overtime for the company, at least not in any significant quantity

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,215 posts
You're salaried, no such thing as overtime work
Posted Image

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

tickle them

• Dax likes this

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Got the hotel + train tickets + concert tickets to see Muse in Sunrise, Florida two weeks from now. Very excited! Muse is one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately I'll be gone Saturday night (train leaves at 1:30 AM) through Tuesday (train returns at noon) but so be it...

Wish they toured a bit closer (they do have a stop in Atlanta, GA which would've been about half as much Sunrise, FL is near where I grew up so FL wins).

ozXHe7P.png

Dax
[ Display Name History ]

Dax

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,014 posts

Yay concerts! I'm going to Sydney to go to Download Festival on Saturday. Tons of bands there, but I'm in it mostly for Judas Priest and Ghost. 

#KERR2016/17/18/19.

#rpgformod

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,475 posts

crunch time is a management failure not an employee one.

I do crunch time as well but I feel generally valued at my job by the management around me and my peers and genuinely care about the projects I'm working on. I do it when I strictly speaking don't have to because I have something to prove.

If thats not the case for you but your salary, I would just bring up in design meetings the problems with the projects scope and encourage them to hire more devs (I'm assuming you do software). I would leverage it to get devs on my project and get myself in a more lead position. If they say no I would tone back the work I do during crunch time to very minimal levels and let the "oops we failed" come.

Also make sure that you are a top performer if your going to negotiate this way

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
I'd just clock out. It is illegal to ask for unpaid overtime here. Even when salaried, overtime has to be paid 1.5x.

God I love having a car. Midnight trips to Micky D's anyone?
Posted Image

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

thts bad for u

• Dax likes this

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

I'd just clock out. It is illegal to ask for unpaid overtime here. Even when salaried, overtime has to be paid 1.5x.

We need a new labor movement. Everywhere should be like this. We have so many valuable unemployed workers, while the employed population is basically indentured servitude.

While having a car is good, McDonald's is about the last place I'd drive it
Posted Image

Bonez899
[ Display Name History ]

Bonez899

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:FuzzyBonez

We need a new labor movement. Everywhere should be like this. We have so many valuable unemployed workers, while the employed population is basically indentured servitude.
This is why I like shift work, you clock in at start time, clock out at finish, and anything extra is overtime and paid as such.

Fuzzybonez.png

http://forum.tip.it/...n-eventual-max/ My blog of progress on Runescape.

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,821 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Omnipotence
  • RSN2:Nyosuht

You're salaried, no such thing as overtime work

I used to think this was a shitty attitude, but I've since adopted it.

I definitely like having a car, but it's fairly necessary here. Going into town is a 20+ mile trip to a city of ~30k, with no public transport options. There's a village with a population of ~400 a few miles from my house, but there's next to nothing there. I drive a half-hour into work, on mostly rural roads. My new doctor's office is an ~85-mile (mostly highway) trek each way.
McDonald's on the other hand, is a self-inflicted punishment for not packing a lunch or eating enough at home before a trip. Even then, there are a few other fast food chains that I'd take over McDonald's if they're reasonably convenient, and I'd prefer a diner or sit-down restaurant if we have the time. At home, or within like an hour of it? I know how to cook.

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

The last time unemployment in the US was lower than it is today was in 1969

polvCwJ.gif

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,215 posts
Which sounds good, but as population increases I fear that available job markets are stagnating. Even if unemployment rates stay around the same number, that only means the hard figure of actual unemployed people is growing
Posted Image

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Which sounds good, but as population increases I fear that available job markets are stagnating.

This may end up being the case, but it's no better than a guess at this point

Even if unemployment rates stay around the same number, that only means the hard figure of actual unemployed people is growing

The absolute number of unemployed people isn't that important - what's important is as a percentage of the overall population, which is what employment rate tracks.

ex: 10000 people being unemployed is a huge problem in Liechtenstein, and a complete non-issue in the US

polvCwJ.gif

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,215 posts
So what would you say the threshold is for dangerous levels of unemployment in America? With a 2017 population set at 325.7M and a 2018 unemployment average of 4% that would leave something like 1.3 million people unemployed. Not to mention this figure completely ignores under-employed people. Even if the modern projection of 3.5% trend continues, what would you guess an absolute number to be where unemployment becomes significant?
Posted Image

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

So what would you say the threshold is for dangerous levels of unemployment in America? With a 2017 population set at 325.7M and a 2018 unemployment average of 4% that would leave something like 1.3 million people unemployed. Not to mention this figure completely ignores under-employed people. Even if the modern projection of 3.5% trend continues, what would you guess an absolute number to be where unemployment becomes significant?

Absolute numbers of unemployed people are pretty much irrelevant, because society can support a certain percentage of unemployed people. Rates matter.

For example, there are people who either can't or won't work who are supported by their families, for whatever reason. There isn't an absolute number of these people that's a problem - it's the number of them relative to their supporters (family members) that's important.

There's definitely a threshold for dangerous levels of unemployment in America, but that threshold is measured by an unemployment rate, not in absolute numbers. I don't know what it is (I'm not an economist), but you're not anywhere close.

For context, unemployment rates for some other countries:

Canada: 5.8%
UK: 4%
France: 9.3%
Germany: 3.4%
Sweden: 6.6%
Mexico: 3.6%
Russia: 4.9%
Spain: 15.2%

Of those, only Spain would be considered to *clearly* have an unemployment problem, and France is getting there.

polvCwJ.gif

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,215 posts
I believe you're correct, I just don't like to concede that there are literally a million people without employment. A million is such a huge number of anything.

Also fun fact, the US active armed forces numbered 1.28M in 2017 with an additional 800K in reserve (and 17M people were deemed "available for service"). In other words, by population alone the United States unemployed forces would be a considerably scary army.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users