Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

57174 replies to this topic

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Of course...we should always try to do better. Just important to realize that it is possible that attempts to make things better may actually make things worse, and to proceed with caution

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
even if we acknowledge the various factors weighing against each other that created the situation, I think it's fair to say that in real terms that the economic outlook in real terms (i.e. what your work output actually gets you in lifestyle terms) is worse now than it has been in a long time. with probably a short exception period for the poor bastards who were graduating right around the recession.

and that sucks honestly. it seems like everywhere I've lived is a transplant city now. where I grew up people had been living in the region for generations. but young people now seem to jump on the best job available wherever it is. I've lived in Atlanta, Denver, and San Diego during college and I'd say like 75% plus of the people I met there were transplants who moved there for work within the last 10 years. we're not putting down roots any more. a lot of kids are going to grow up seeing their grandparents yearly instead of weekly/monthly (or daily for those people who still live in multi gen homes). a lot of people who grew up in houses with yards are going to raise their own kids in apartments. I can't help but think that stuff like this is going to have lasting negative impacts on our culture. especially as these issues become more and more severe, people are moving to cities at an insane pace. I get that cultures shift and change over time but it's not always good. can't help but think we've been losing part of ourselves for like 30 years now and it's almost gone

TANSTAAFL

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
yeah I'm drunkposting barely coherent stream of consciousness, what's it to ya

TANSTAAFL

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,226 posts
Nah dude I totally follow you. To add on to your hypothesis, more families now are going up with 2 working parents and are subsequently raised in an alternative setting, whether that be a baby sitter or a television/iPad. Conversely, as you mentioned constant relocation for jobs, I think there's a factor of not starting a family at all Becoming a more popular option - but I actually think thats not just a good thing but a GREAT one. As you said, grandparents will be less involved and I agree, not only due to location but by massive age difference. And without a family baby sitter, actual baby sitting services and day care can get wildly expensive. Like 2nd mortgage expensive in my area. I'm totally down for less people breeding, but I feel it fuels into this idea that industry/production is a lifestyle. I respect people that work hard, especially long hours but at what point is it "slavery with extra steps"? If we've been developed to not desire a family, does that make us work harder or less hard? What's the motivation for working at all if you can provide for yourself if that's the only responsibility we have?

...got a bit rambly there...

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,059 posts
Eh, counterpoint, every m/f couple I know wants kids. Even the ones I was pretty sure didn't want kids, like my brother, who just had his first kid at 36, after like a decade of being married.

I'm pretty sure America has had a below-replacement birthrate for most of its history. I don't think the rate at which people are having kids is really changing.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Eh, counterpoint, every m/f couple I know wants kids. Even the ones I was pretty sure didn't want kids, like my brother, who just had his first kid at 36, after like a decade of being married.

I'm pretty sure America has had a below-replacement birthrate for most of its history. I don't think the rate at which people are having kids is really changing.

It's changed a lot lol...US births per woman in 1800 was 7.04 - now it's 1.8. https://eh.net/encyc...-united-states/

The majority of countries in the world have had significant drops in birthrate over the past 150 years - worldwide the drop has been enormous:

https://data.worldba.../SP.DYN.TFRT.IN

Even countries with high TFR have declined substantially: India for example went from 5.31 in 1960 to 2.33 in 2016. In fact, the only country on that list that has a higher TFR in 2016 than 1960 is DR Congo - went from 6.001 to 6.112

For this reason, most analysis I've seen predicts worldwide population peaking at around 10 billion somewhere around 2070 and then declining substantially. The main reason population has even kept growing up to this point is increased life expectancy

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,226 posts
Ayyy no more dying in child birth and vaccines to the rescue! Not to mention better child labor laws....

And it all comes full circle

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,092 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

I think that's a pretty big get out of jail free card...

missed this...what's the alternative, though? There will always be people (lots of them) who do stupid stuff and look to someone influential to provide something that can vaguely justify it. It's not prudent to hold people responsible for the actions of others unless the actions are extremely serious, and it's practically certain that the person of influence is knowingly acting maliciously.

The implicit alternative is that you should be more cautious the larger of a megaphone you wield. It's quite different if you're talking to one person and saying something than if you are sending it out to millions of followers. I don't know that there's an enforceable solution, but this is generally why there are many layers of people checking say statements made by a politically prominent person or a CEO of a company. Of course, there are always some fun exceptions.
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,059 posts
Getting decent at makeup. It's to the point now, assuming the Dunning-Kreuger Effect isn't killing me now, that it doesn't actively look bad, and I feel decently confident going out in it.

Now I just need my voice and body to catch up. 5 months to HRT...

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

thats exciting! congragulations friend

• Dax likes this

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,496 posts

Jones does make those "non-average" people a lot worse than they would be without his existence. My dad has always been conservative, but it's only been since he started listening to Jones and alt right people online that it's felt dangerous. I don't feel that, had he only ever had access to mainstream media, his political opinions would have ever been this far right.

So I guess you have to weigh whether "won't be taken seriously by most people" is enough of a benefit to outweigh "will radicalize some people and make them out and out neo nazis". My cost/benefit feels like, no, that's not a good tradeoff, but

Sure he does. He is actively seeking a conspiracy theorist crowd and giving them exactly what they want. As pathological as it is you will get people who self select their own reality. I made the bold claim earlier about influences intent doesn't matter though. Because "non-average" people have mental illnesses that are issues they are responsible for. That society should diagnose and better treat.

I think my point still stands, anti-vaxxer girl is no more responsible for influencing parents to not vax than she would be responsible for stalkers and harassers harming her because she uses sex as a way to gain influence

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,059 posts

I think my point still stands, anti-vaxxer girl is no more responsible for influencing parents to not vax than she would be responsible for stalkers and harassers harming her because she uses sex as a way to gain influence

That's a really false equivalence. Men harassing women is not a logical result of a woman being sexy. People not vaccinating their children is a logical result of people spreading misinformation about vaccinations.

If I told you that drinking cyanide would clear your skin, and as a result you decided to drink cyanide, that's what the latter argument is. If I told you I was trans and you then decided to commit a hate crime against me, that's what the former is. In one, I am advocating the action you take, in the other, I am not advocating the action you take. I can be held responsible for you taking action I advocate for, but not for you taking actions I don't advocate for.

Melos
[ Display Name History ]

Melos

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Melos
  • Clan:Maxed

Today I played some League of Legends and wondered why I haven't retired from it yet. The community is insanely toxic and I really don't have fun -.-...

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,496 posts

Yeah I see what your saying and agree.

There is an influencer who can trick any of us into doing a harmful action. If they have a MD and are called doctor and wear a white lab coat, we might trust them into making a stupid decisions based on the fact that in our culture were told to trust such people with medical decisions. That and the CEO argument earlier are perfectly reasonable examples of influencers who have, well real influence and can cause real damage if they misbehave. 

Point well taken I acknowledge that and agree this is a false equivalence.

But yeah, I don't think its particularly likely that a booty model falls into the above category. Shes not famous for her medical opinions but for her sex appeal. Shes fairly unlikely to influence medical decisions. 

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,059 posts
It's also about cumulative effects. 1000 booty models saying vaccines are bad, or because our psychology sucks, even 100 booty models saying it 10 times each, results in a real influence on medical decisions.

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,226 posts
If we're keeping the anecdote on track, she's less "booty model" and more "fitness model". Most of her content is pro-organic nutrition and workouts. A model none-the-less.

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,345 posts

My landlady is going to replace the carpet with laminated hardwood. Yeeeeeeeah.

I talked to my boss today about the possibility of telecommuting. He seemed cautiously receptive. Our last lead developer telecommuted and kind of spoiled it (she didn't work there for that long)  so I'm going to have to be above and beyond this year leading up to November/December. I told him I'd definitely be in on Monday mornings for our meetings and Fridays.

Since I'll be graduating in the fall I'm going to plan on having a job offer in hand so he matches. I'm willing to take less pay for flexibility while I'm in school but Raleigh and surrounding area is a lot pricier than NC (it'd easily be 2.5-3x my rent now within 20 minutes of downtown). I could probably go as low as $50K assuming my bro and I stick together (that'd be $80K/year which is plenty, and our tax burden would be lower since it's two incomes). He'd be able to commute though.

My plan for the year is to be on my way out of Fayetteville and on to Raleigh. Ideally I'd be in Raleigh by January, working 40-hours salaried at my job, and attending NC State. Within the next three to four years, ideally I'll be working at one of my "Big 3" (Epic, SAS, or Red Hat).

ozXHe7P.png

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,059 posts
Made myself a promise at the beginning of the year that I wasn't going to buy any more men's clothes. Don't buy something I'm going to throw out in a year, ya know.

Ripped my backup pair of dress pants today, so now I have a decision to make...

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,007 posts

Made myself a promise at the beginning of the year that I wasn't going to buy any more men's clothes. Don't buy something I'm going to throw out in a year, ya know.

Ripped my backup pair of dress pants today, so now I have a decision to make...

I'm in the same boat, for different reasons (been bulking so my clothes won't fit for long). You can prob get some cheap dress pants on sale somewhere or go to a thrift store. Or rent them if you'll only need them like once

77yLQy8.png

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,226 posts
Our level 8+3 bard/rogue managed to slay 2 adult blue dragons tonight basically by himself after the rest of the party served as damage sponges. Both were killed by free fall dive bombing from his Griffin mount. Pretty epic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users