Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

56906 replies to this topic

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,338 posts

Right, so you value yourself but you don't show it outwardly (to avoid coming across as a someone unpleasant) so people don't value you - in turn you make a post; perhaps rightfully so detailing your frustrations and current circumstances with a tldr: "Why don't people value me?". 

Re: Re: About the portfolio.

:shrug: I didn't say show your portfolio to a HR goon. HR goons are HR goons - if anything they probably filter out your CV because you might be missing a single qualification or you didn't write the word HTML on it.

What I was trying to say is that where a portfolio is required - people need to see it. If, genuinely, no one looks at a portfolio then why is the #1 piece of advice on r/learnprogramming "Do small projects to build your portfolio". No employer is going to look over your CV and go "Hmm, Veiva's provided a link to their website, I'll just go and visit it and see what they are about". I don't particularly care for your CV nor how it is laid out but if it's "See xyz.com for all my projects" that's likely the wrong way to do it and listing relevant/all projects you have worked on in your CV for each job will atleast allow you to hit more keywords for HR to "weigh" your CV and give the interviewer more of an idea about you.

Apparently you are already shit-hot at things so I probably didn't need to write any of this.

I apologize for my earlier post, I was unusually upset. I'm diagnosed with schizophrenia but sometimes things can swing my emotional state all-the-way-in angry, depressed, scared, happy for days... It's hard to deal with.

My portfolio, in no particular order:

• Algae Canvas, the (ex-)fastest vector graphics renderer in the world (at least open source)
  • a website for the FSE
  • ItsyRealm (60K+ LOC, 2-3 hours gameplay, 1000s hours development time)
  • Fixel and Eight Seasons, two other complete but small games
  • Building destruction simulator
  • AI-based DPS calculator, including things like movement speed and mistakes
  • Discworld, a graph-like gameplay data ORM with Lua bindings
  • BMASHINA, an advanced C++ AI behavior tree library with a novel I/O system for nodes with Lua bindings
  • Autonmoaus, a C++ bot for a certain MMO capable of up to mid-level PVM, utilizing emergent behvaiors, and featuring a zero ban rate during its time active

I followed Ring_World's advice and redid my resume. Now it's two pages but it highlights in the technical/social (for things I worked on with others) features of my job, freelance work, and most notable projects. So is this the resume you're talking about?.

Apparently you are already shit-hot at things so I probably didn't need to write any of this.

You said I don't value myself, that wasn't true. I'm aware there's something I'm doing critically wrong. I'm trying to figure it out: is it my resume, is it my lack of a BS, what is it.

Because for example the Red Hat senior lead architect (I believe that's the correct role) said a BS isn't very important once your foot is in the door (and mine is) and many others have expressed the same thing. I have the skills, I just can't get an interview and I don't know why.

For example, have you watched my trailer that's literally one of the points of my argument? It's not even two minutes.

I'm ignored unless I stir shit I guess.

I am better than everyone else. I am extremely hard working, focused, stubborn, disciplined. I'm selfless to a fault. I am statistically most likely the smartest person in a room of 100. I have never met a programmer as talented as me.

My ego is enormous but I don't flaunt it. I'm realistic and understand my thinking is slightly delusional or overconfident so I downplay it.

I feel like you’re contradicting yourself here

I have delusions of grandeur so it's a fine line between "Am I really that good or do I just believe I'm that good?" It's not until therapy that I tempered how I present myself. I literally believe all of the former but don't tell anyone. All it takes is someone to talk to me about something pertinent/important and they usually how incredible I am within 5-10 minutes.

That's why the problem with jobs is not even getting an interview, if I got an interview the rest would be a breeze.

ozXHe7P.png

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

You're right that your degree doesn't matter once your foot is in the door, but it sounds like your foot isn't actually in the door

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,338 posts

What counts as "in the door?"

ozXHe7P.png

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,789 posts

Tautologically, probably when your degree stops mattering

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,338 posts

So one year experience at a start up isn't good enough, ok. (This isn't me criticizing you.)

I'm sure my main points of contention have been missed in the back and forth:

1. What does my resume look like?

2. Portfolio? Github?

3. Has anyone (besides RPG) even watched my trailer? If not, what's the last YouTube video you watched?

Can a few people at least answer these questions? It's like literally 5 minutes of your time. I can't know where I'm going wrong if I don't have feedback. You know, it's like debugging why you're getting a black screen in a 100K LOC rendering pipeline--without feedback, you're never going to figure it out by looking at the source.

ozXHe7P.png

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,789 posts

Of course working for a startup no one's heard of for less than a year isn't a significant amount of experience.

As for my advice on improving your resume:

Consider changing the first bullet point to something like "Worked in a team with 2 other developers to create and launch ScoreShots, a desktop application used by a number of NCAA athletic departments to create promotional images and videos." Change whatever needs to be changed to make that statement truthful. The goal is to communicate that 1. you're a contributing member of your team, 2. you work well with others, 3. what the product actually does, 4. you worked on a legitimate product that has real stakeholders, 5. the product actually works as intended and is able to be shipped to end users

You also tend to be vague and throw jargon (often used incorrectly) at the reader. For example, it's hard to discern exactly what "Added support for composable templates, called widgets, and importing/binding stats to templates, reaching feature parity with older product" actually means. Widgets are meant to be standalone components that embed within another application, templates are just subsets of an application's view layer. Keep in mind at this point I don't even know how your software is built...are you writing components for a React app? Adding Handlebars to a crude jQuery website? Writing your own templating system in a C++ windows application? Are you even talking about a templating system, or are you just using that word in a colloquial sense? What's the older product you're trying to reach feature parity with? What features are you trying to match? What does a "widget" have to do with feature parity?

Also "Built animation backend web service based using JavaScript and FFMPEG" sounds like your biggest and most important project, but I have no clue what you actually did. Is it a microservice that renders your application's source files to formats usable in social media? If it's an important project that you contributed a significant amount of brain power to, you should be excited to describe it in detail. The vagueness only implies that one of your coworkers led the project and you only know that it uses JS and FFMPEG.

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,338 posts
jv3glDO.png

A template is a graphic that can be customized by the client with their own logos, graphics, texts, and stats. A widget is a template created by our artists to be embedded repeatedly inside another template (e.g., in a grid or bracket layout). I'm using the terms correctly.

I changed the first three blurbs:
  • Worked in a team with three other engineers to develop ScoreShots, a modern React web application used by sports teams and organizations including NCAA athletic departments and the USGA to create promotional images and videos via templates for social media
  • Added support for dynamic templates (templates composed from other templates allowing rapidly altering the layout to fit the clients’ needs) and import/binding sport stats to fields resulting in feature parity with our older product, ScoreShots Legacy
  • Lead developer of animation backend, a microservice deployed to AWS using Dokku, capable of generating incredibly advanced animations from jobs submitted to the server
Did you find problems with jargon in freelance / projects?

After the updates I made to my resume from Hedgehog / Boris I was told it's fine by an engineer at Nintendo of America that it's fine (he reviews resumes that hit his desk). His advice was to network since HR is incompetent but I'm not sure how to do that.

ozXHe7P.png

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,172 posts
We're a network! A small one. But a network.
Posted Image

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,789 posts

That's a million times better, great job. Remember to update the rest of your resume with the same line of thought too. Just make sure that everything is clear instead of vague, make sure you aren't overly summarizing anything, etc.

And, yeah, RPG is right. This is a network and posting here was a good first step. The next step would probably be to start going to conferences in your area and just talk to the other developers there. Don't go there and start handing out resumes, but just make conversation, remember their names, get business cards, etc. Make yourself part of the community and opportunities will follow

You're lucky you live so close to the research triangle so there's plenty of tech folks nearby. It's probably too late to register now, but I just found this conference in Raleigh that you'd probably enjoy. Just keep your eye out for future events

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,338 posts
I went to the ECGC last year but missed too many classes this year so I couldn't attend.

ozXHe7P.png

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 959 posts

blargen fadibble nohip

• Dax likes this

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

So I have to find a new job now, which means taking coding quizzes. I was doing this practice one and...

xZ4zsS1.png

Is that right? I don't think it is. (This is Python.) I hope the real ones for job tests are better vetted...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,172 posts
I took a python class a month or so ago and I think that's how it works since the [ ] value was negative
Posted Image

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,017 posts
There's no -0, so 3 in that array corresponds to L[-1]. It's been a long time since I used python for one project in one class that wasn't about python, though, so I might be wrong, but I believe that's accurate.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,789 posts

I ran it and got 2 so

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
i didn't watch the trailer because it didn't appear interesting to me, this is likely the case for most people across the other platforms

TANSTAAFL

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,338 posts

i didn't watch the trailer because it didn't appear interesting to me, this is likely the case for most people across the other platforms

That's doesn't make any sense... Like I'm having a very hard time understanding how you can say something you know nothing about doesn't look interesting?

To try and be constructive, was it the screencap?

I updated it:

Does that 'appearing interesting' now?

ozXHe7P.png

Boris5000
[ Display Name History ]

Boris5000

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,952 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Volothamp
  • RSN2:Boris I

Why are there 361 guests on?

v5G877P.png

EDIT: I know they are just searching for profiles that they might be able to recover or something like that.

Luck be a Lady

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,172 posts
361 bots in my fake profile account up here in the Hollywood hillls

(I wasn't joking when I said they're becoming sentient)
Posted Image

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

That's doesn't make any sense... Like I'm having a very hard time understanding how you can say something you know nothing about doesn't look interesting?

To try and be constructive, was it the screencap?

I updated it:

Does that 'appearing interesting' now?

That looks pretty good for a thumbnail to me. I did have a quick look at one point but I didn't leave a comment - not sure if I watched all the way through to count it as a view either.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users