What are your opinions on no-lifing?

Goldenjkered

work 6hrs

rs 8hrs

sleep 6hrs

partay 4 hrs

could work out :P

God one can only hope you're joking.

it could but it just wouldnt be practical doubt they play rs 8+ EVERY day maybe only some most nolife only when they have nothing to do

StarViv.png

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless though, why does it matter to you? Even if it is a worthless trait, does it affect you in your social traits?

It matters that when I ring up a call centre expecting a straight-forward conversation, but because they spend their whole time watching TV/playing computer games, they possess the communication skills of a garden snail.

Communication skills are essential in order to get on in the world, and if you can't see that, that's your problem. When you go for a job, and they ask you for past experience, are you honestly going to sit there and say:

"Well, my best achievement in life was getting 99 Fishing on an online computer game. I spent hundreds of hours doing it"?

You'd be (rightly) laughed out of the door.

I understand there are some personalities (typically introverted) which ask for 'alone time', and many of these people achieve this by playing computer games. However, this doesn't mean socially isolating yourself from everyone else is suddenly 'healthy', nor does it mean it's none of our business when you go and enter jobs later on in life.

There is a difference between no-lifing and escapism. The latter is a perfectly natural human desire. The former is frankly nothing short of an addiction, and is most certainly unnatural and unhealthy.

You have failed to prove anything. Having communication skills is needed in the work force, I agree. Having a nice full conversation is nice, I agree. Having asocial skills is a trait, I agree.

But if they don't want to, who cares? Does it bloody matter if they spend 15 hours indoors when you can do whatever you want?

Unless, if you're saying EVERYONE has to be very soical and have GREAT jobs. If so, I apologize your highness.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

As long as it doesn't affect your health, grades, job, and most importantly, hygiene, I think it's everyone's choice to do whatever they want with their free time. However, for example, if someone's grades are falling because they play instead of doing homework, that's a bad decision. Sadly, I would know. :oops:

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

You have failed to prove anything. Having communication skills is needed in the work force, I agree. Having a nice full conversation is nice, I agree. Having asocial skills is a trait, I agree.

But if they don't want to, who cares? Does it bloody matter if they spend 15 hours indoors when you can do whatever you want?

Unless, if you're saying EVERYONE has to be very soical and have GREAT jobs. If so, I apologize your highness.

Rephrasing:

"It's a terrible lifestyle. My only argument against you, thus, is that if I want to kill myself spiritually, I very damn well will, and there's nothing you can do to stop me from destroying my soul from the inside out by boxing myself in my parents' basement for my entire life. Ha, I win."

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Rephrasing:

"It's a terrible lifestyle. My only argument against you, thus, is that if I want to kill myself spiritually, I very damn well will, and there's nothing you can do to stop me from destroying my soul from the inside out by boxing myself in my parents' basement for my entire life. Ha, I win."

What the hell are we talking about here now? Being not social and playing games for a long period of time or total isolation?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The f'ing title of this thread is "no-lifing" buddeh. The difference is, for all intents and purposes here, invisible.

You're actually evading so much that I can't even tell what point you're making anymore. You seem to agree that no-lifing is terrible, but you continue to act as if, in spite of that belief, you think that it's not a problem or something that needs to be fixed. You're talking in circles and making no points whatsoever, simply agreeing with us on the surface as an attempt to escape appearing in the wrong. Stop it, 'cause you're starting to degrade the already tenuous post count:intelligience correlation that I once held dear.

Its terrible as in the sense that smoking is terrible. Bad to your health, makes you look ugly, blah blah blah. But I'm not going around "HAHA you smoke, you loser!" No, I don't like no-lifing, its a bad thing to do BUT people can do it all they want for all I care.

Its not always "I think this so everyone else who doesn't follow sucks." I also think doing drugs is a bad thing to do but if people wanna do it without harming others then let them.

EDIT - I would like to say before I cause confusion, I'm talking about mild no-lifeing here. As in playing 10 hours a day cuz you have nothing else to do. Not giving up school, refusing to work, staying in your mom's house until 40, etc.

Because techically this would be called more like "Excessive playing" but for the sake of this discussion and the idiots in the world, lets leave it at "no-lifing" for now.

siggy3s.jpg

I know someone who plays for 8+hours per day, and throws some of the biggest parties in the city -.- that proves you can play and still have a very active social life. btw, not them weird raves and deathmetal b.s parties

Right... so where's he get the money for these parties then?

He could be an organiser for said parties and, as a result, get paid to set them up and ensure that they're successful (IE: Party on, dudes!). From what I know, they make quite a lot of cash per event.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I know someone who plays for 8+hours per day, and throws some of the biggest parties in the city -.- that proves you can play and still have a very active social life. btw, not them weird raves and deathmetal b.s parties

Right... so where's he get the money for these parties then?

He could be an organiser for said parties and, as a result, get paid to set them up and ensure that they're successful (IE: Party on, dudes!). From what I know, they make quite a lot of cash per event.

You mean like this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ONXRJfKfU

Seriously, the odds of that guy doing that are very low... -.-

memorysignaturesx7.png

If Nadril will pardon me for using a comic he posted, my response to the lot of ya:

00000101.gif

00000102.gif

00000103.gif

There was no 'if' about my post. It was fairly explicit and easy to comprehend. But since you demand I clarify my position:

I'm not saying everyone has to be very social. I'm not even saying being very social is key towards health.

However, we humans are a sociable species. That's how we get on - by communicating to one another, doing jobs for each other and occupying certain niches. If it's unacceptable for a man to sit at home all day watching TV while doing nothing productive with their life, why is it suddenly acceptable for someone to play RS all day and 'no-life'? Or even more, why is it when we criticise such a lifestyle, it's unacceptable because it's none of our business?

Then add the fact some of these no-lifers won't have jobs (not necessarily high-paid jobs, but any job at all), and will therefore be living off their parents' income or even worse they'll be living off the state. For doing what? They're not disabled - they could get off their backside and contribute something to society quite easily.

I'm sorry, but I have massive problems with people who just leach off others and don't bother to contribute anything in return.

And as for the health issue, no, playing RuneScape all day is NOT socially healthy. Since so many people don't seem to know the definition of health, I'll post it:

Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity

I've have thought it obvious to anyone with an IQ over 75 that spending hours upon hours on RuneScape, even if you're 'talking' to people on there, is NOT socially healthy, and frankly if you're playing for that long each day, it's questionable whether you have a psychological addiction (thus you're not mentally well either).

tl;dr version: It's severely unhealthy, and frankly as an adult you should be willing to work your way through life anyway.

I played RuneScape for three hours yesterday! :o

That's actually longer than I've ever played at one time. :lol: Usually I play for one hour every day or so, possibly two hours. After that I do chores, talk on the phone, hang out, or whatever. I had nothing to do, though... Is 3 hours no-lifing? :S

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

That's actually longer than I've ever played at one time. :lol: Usually I play for one hour every day or so, possibly two hours. After that I do chores, talk on the phone, hang out, or whatever. I had nothing to do, though... Is 3 hours no-lifing? :S

please say your kiding :shock:
siggykilljoyfulykomppsmg6.jpg

please say your kiding :shock:

Can't tell if this is sarcasm.

No, that's not no lifing.

Follow me on Twitter!

FORGET NOT THE CHICKEN.

gravy.png

I have no intrest in helping "keyers" farm xp.

I think unless you are like one level away from 91 rc or 85 mining or something 3 hours is as much as you should spend.

RS isn't just bad for your eyes and health, the amount of clicking you do is terrible even if you have good posture and such while playing/typing.

People who play 10 hours regularly should really think about cutting back on that. I mean, it may be *semi* jealousy but can you honestly say you respect people who manage to get those amazingly high skills in like two weeks. I think it is a little sad.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

I think unless you are like one level away from 91 rc or 85 mining or something 3 hours is as much as you should spend.

RS isn't just bad for your eyes and health, the amount of clicking you do is terrible even if you have good posture and such while playing/typing.

People who play 10 hours regularly should really think about cutting back on that. I mean, it may be *semi* jealousy but can you honestly say you respect people who manage to get those amazingly high skills in like two weeks. I think it is a little sad.

it doesnt matter if they level that much in like 2 weeks in 3hrs you can hardly do nothing tbh 3hrs is about 60k runecraft exp if your doing natures its about 145k agility exp at ape its reaaally slow to only play 3hrs lol at least if you want all 99s 4-6 is a good avarage play time i think more for weekends/holidays

StarViv.png

There was no 'if' about my post. It was fairly explicit and easy to comprehend. But since you demand I clarify my position:

I'm not saying everyone has to be very social. I'm not even saying being very social is key towards health.

However, we humans are a sociable species. That's how we get on - by communicating to one another, doing jobs for each other and occupying certain niches. If it's unacceptable for a man to sit at home all day watching TV while doing nothing productive with their life, why is it suddenly acceptable for someone to play RS all day and 'no-life'? Or even more, why is it when we criticise such a lifestyle, it's unacceptable because it's none of our business?

Then add the fact some of these no-lifers won't have jobs (not necessarily high-paid jobs, but any job at all), and will therefore be living off their parents' income or even worse they'll be living off the state. For doing what? They're not disabled - they could get off their backside and contribute something to society quite easily.

I'm sorry, but I have massive problems with people who just leach off others and don't bother to contribute anything in return.

And as for the health issue, no, playing RuneScape all day is NOT socially healthy. Since so many people don't seem to know the definition of health, I'll post it:

Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity

I've have thought it obvious to anyone with an IQ over 75 that spending hours upon hours on RuneScape, even if you're 'talking' to people on there, is NOT socially healthy, and frankly if you're playing for that long each day, it's questionable whether you have a psychological addiction (thus you're not mentally well either).

tl;dr version: It's severely unhealthy, and frankly as an adult you should be willing to work your way through life anyway.

So basically you hate people who live on others and do nothing in return...that's acceptable and I will even agree with you. But what you're talking about is extreme addiction, not mild-no-lifing when you're a teenager. I'm talking about the latter.

Complete depentence from others to sustain your life so you can play video games is idiotic and selfish, I will agree with that.

Take it this way: for an adult to play 18 hours of the day without a job being supported by parents is lazy and utterly short-sighted and dull. However, if someone has a 10-hour job, sleeps for 6, that leaves 8 hours of freetime a day. He could play games all those eight hours, every day. He has a job, self-sustaining, no social life, but what is it in our intrests (complete strangers by the way) to tell him not to?

The problem in this debate is defining "no-lifing"...some people take it literraly meaning absolutly no lifes, playing video games from dawn to dusk. Others see it as 5+hours. For the sake of this thread, I'll use the term 'no-lifing' as someone who plays excessive, probably 3+hours straight and has a little social life. I will stop defending them upto the point of literal no-lifing. Dawn to dusk playing in their parents' house. But until then, if a teenager is a nerd and has no friends or girlfriend and plays RS all day after school, for all I bloody care he can damn do it. If an adult plays RS after his work's done again, for all I bloody care he can very well damn do it.

And a little extra question to anyone who can answer...why is having a girlfriend or boyfriend like an automatic "Get out of Nerd-status" card? Just wonderin'.

siggy3s.jpg

Unhealthy habits and lifestyles die hard. If it's bad, people should stop. Just because you seem to care little for other's well being does not mean that they shouldn't. Mentally, physically, socially healthy, to desire another to be as such is to be properly human. Ignoring their problem is to wish them ill.

"No-lyfing", of either variety of which you speak, is unhealthy for a person and hurtful to the people around them. Relaxation is a necessary part of functioning in society, but to take it to such levels is to be a burden on society and a burden dropped upon oneself, to whatever levels it is taken. It is a problem, and it needs to be fixed, and post-poning such rehabilitation, acting as if when they do it all their life as a teenager they're suddenly stop at some magic age, that is both irresponsible, illogical, and ill-befitting a proper human.

It is, as one would say, a cancer upon society, something that limits growth on both the invidual and macrocosmic level. Why then, do you choose to ignore it?

And a little extra question to anyone who can answer...why is having a girlfriend or boyfriend like an automatic "Get out of Nerd-status" card? Just wonderin'.

I guess it's because someone actually deems them fit. I don't have one at the moment (I know, you're all shocked), but that doesn't mean I'm a nerd.

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg