Manga/Anime Discussion

Warrior_B666

gorgeous and delicious as it is.

tbh I think I'm past my "moe" phase. I went through a period of frequent nosebleed-ery during clannad / kanon ect episodes, but of late... not so much. I still find the characters exessively cute, in a good way, just not "moe".

also, the second soul eater ED is amazing. I've had it one repeat for about an hour.

Tk5SF.png

The Mainstreaming of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a cult favorite among anime fans, so it makes sense that Yen Press is launching the Haruhi manga this month with a strong pitch to anime and manga fans. But Little, Brown Books for Young Readers is taking a different tack with the Haruhi novels, publishing a hardcover edition aimed at fans and a paperback version targeted at mainstream young adult readers.

All three properties revolve around Haruhi Suzumiya, a high school girl who unknowingly has the power to destroy the universe and create a new one whenever she gets bored. Haruhi forms a school club, the SOS Brigade, and embarks on a series of freewheeling adventures. The stories are narrated by Kyon, an ordinary student who has recently given up his childhood fascination with the supernatural only to get caught up in Haruhis adventures. Yen Press co-director Kurt Hassler says Kyons everyman character is part of the storys appeal. He becomes caught up in Haruhis world and gets to experience that extraordinary existence that he always wanted and fantasized about, and then when he gets it hes not quite sure hes ready for it, he said.

At the moment, Haruhi is best known through the anime version, which is produced in the U.S. by Bandai Entertainment. Haruhi is an extremely popular anime internationallywith anime fans, said Gia Manry, who writes for Anime Insider and covers anima and manga at her blog, a geek by any other name. I don't think it's the kind of show that has drawn in a lot of new fans, but it has become a significant part of the anime cult following, as it were.

The manga, which is rated for older teens, launched in October with a print run of 75,000 copies for the first volume, according to Hassler. A new book in the six-volume series will be released every three months, and the property will be promoted heavily in Yen Presss Yen Plus magazine.

Hassler sees the manga as appealing chiefly to manga readers and fans of the anime. The manga really elaborates on pieces in the anime, he said. Its just experiencing it from a different perspective and seeing it in a different medium, building on that fan enthusiasm and seeing the art associated with it and getting to spend more time with the characters in general. Yens edition of the manga replicates the look of the Japanese version, including the color pages from the original.

With the release of the novels, however, Hassler thinks Haruhi can break into the mainstream. There is a really broad fan appeal that can reach farther into the market than just otaku culture, he said. We want to make Haruhi a household word for everyone.

The novels, will launch in April 2009 with different editions targeted to anime/manga fans and to the broader YA audience. The paperback version, priced at $8.99, features a colorful step-back cover with no manga imagery. The novels will be shelved in the young adult sections of bookstores, according to Joseph Monti, Director of Paperbacks for Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. They will be advertised in the Alloy and dELia*s catalogs, which target tween girls, and promoted on MySpace and Facebook as well as a dedicated website. In addition, the publisher will promote Haruhi launch parties on websites popular with teen girls, with an offer of free gifts for girls who host them.

Little, Brown will also publish a hardcover edition of the novel, priced at $14.99, with the same cover as the Japanese original. Both editions will feature black-and-white spot illustrations and a color insert. We are looking at it as two different markets, the fans who know Haruhi and the broader reading audience that doesnt know her, that we want to introduce to her, Hassler said.

The initial print run for the novel will be 60,000 copies, about 10,000 for the hardcover and 50,000 for the paperback, Monti said.

Yen and Little, Brown will cross-promote the properties by running an excerpt from the novel in the back of the manga and vice versa.

Monti isnt concerned that readers unfamiliar with manga conventions will be thrown off by references to Japanese culture, so there will be no translation notes to explain things like school uniforms or the term moe. You will get it in context, Monti said. The young adult readership is pretty savvy.

Indeed, he sees the Haruhi novels as having plenty of appeal to teens, especially teenage girls. In many ways its just great fiction, its a high school novel, and then its got all these great sci fi elements, he said. Its just a lot of fun.

Manry has a similar take. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is really just an interesting and complicated story that is told in a relatively fresh new way, she said. It's a bit of a sci-fi/fantasy tale, because Haruhi has these mysterious powers; but it's also a slice-of-life story about high schoolers. Add in the fact that the characters are engaging (particularly the determinedly adventurous Haruhi and the sarcastic, skeptical Kyon) and a slightly different presentation (out-of-order chapters/episodes), and you've got one really attractive package.

HOW. [bleep]ING. DARE. THEY.

Tk5SF.png

tl;dr

HOW. [bleep]. DARE. THEY.

Well if its mainstream enough for us, its mainstream enough for China to steal.

But im kinda glad they decided to translate the novels. Most companies just see it as;

"Its from Japan, right?

So its a manga.

It isnt?

WHAT!"

..and disregard it. Hopefully this could tip other companies into doing the same with ZnT or - god, I wish - KnK.

Currently downloading Kannagi as ive heard lots of praise for it. Also, miko.

And Toradora 4 subs where?

knkcopy.jpg

theres a difference between anime "mainstream, and aiming at [bleep] pre-teen girls "mainstream" for [bleep] sake.

Are we talking about the vast amounts of THE GAY?

Because this thread needs more FABULOUS!

fabuloushw3.jpg

My pet peev about Haruhi is that all the characters are the wrong gender;

• Kyon should be a moe, tsundere little girl who gets pushed about by the rather boisterous, over-the-top Haruhi.

Koizumi's FABULOUS love interest with Kyon turns into an awesome yuri lovecest with [bleep] and everything.

The slu- I mean, Yuki should be a stoic, solitary man who makes passing comments about Kyonko making it even more anxious between them.

Tsuruya turns into a rather loud, brash boy picking on the newly shota-ised Mikuru.

Mikuru and imouto-chan are the victims of the greater good, im afraid.

Or we could just make them all INCREDIBLE HUGE and leave it at that.

knkcopy.jpg

........what.. the.. hell.

also, I'm not much of a genderswap fan. At least not the whole cast flip. Yuki should always be a girl, and so should Haruhi, Shota Mikuru is just WRONG, but I've seen some interesting kyonko / Itsuko stuff.

Tk5SF.png

I find my lack of shota love pretty reasonable.
Shota, loli, it's all a bit 'hmmmm....' to me..

Put bluntly some people use the excuse of anime for their paedophile urges (I once knew a guy like that in an IRC server) which I honestly find disgusting; I watch anime for enjoyment, not to [bleep] to children.

in before inevitable crapstorm and HUUUUUR DUUUUURRR

Almost 75% of the people on these forums watch anime for the sheer entertainment which is good, but the other 25% take anime incredibly seriously to the point where that group of people wants you banned over it. Plus some of the same 25% of people use dialogue that is incomprehensible but people know that dialogue shows hate, and I know a perfect example of those words. What words am I talking about? Hmmm.... I don't know. Maybe..... HURRR and DURRR? Now saying that kind of stuff shows you don't know any better words to say, and it makes you look like an idiot.

umvc3_sig3.jpgTokiHakurei-SatellizerelBridget2.png

Click the "Signed in as..." go to Manage ignored users, copy paste Toki_Hakurei.

I'm pretty sure having boobs is the most broken super power anyone can ever have. 0_0

Almost 75% of the people on these forums watch anime for the sheer entertainment which is good, but the other 25% take anime incredibly seriously to the point where that group of people wants you banned over it. Plus some of the same 25% of people use dialogue that is incomprehensible but people know that dialogue shows hate, and I know a perfect example of those words. What words am I talking about? Hmmm.... I don't know. Maybe..... HURRR and DURRR? Now saying that kind of stuff shows you don't know any better words to say, and it makes you look like an idiot.

urge to post NO U picture... so high...

but yeah I get what you mean. Anime fan dialogue is usually completely incomprehensible and bloody weird to anybody outside the culture. Even I'm weirded out by Cad's posts sometimes. ::'

and silversword, I know a couple of people like that IRL. Its kinda weird being around them once you find out that they have pictures of little girls pissing themselves on their person.

Tk5SF.png

Anime is never to be taken seriously.

That's why I watch it, for something really really silly.

but yeah I get what you mean. Anime fan dialogue is usually completely incomprehensible and bloody weird to anybody outside the culture. Even I'm weirded out by Cad's posts sometimes. ::'

and silversword, I know a couple of people like that IRL. Its kinda weird being around them once you find out that they have pictures of little girls pissing themselves on their person.

Now you are giving me images in my head that I really don't wanna see.... #-o

umvc3_sig3.jpgTokiHakurei-SatellizerelBridget2.png

Click the "Signed in as..." go to Manage ignored users, copy paste Toki_Hakurei.

I'm pretty sure having boobs is the most broken super power anyone can ever have. 0_0

I just started reading "Air Gear". I think I'd like it if it wasn't for all the stupid fanservice. Which there is a lot of. Like, a lot people. More than enough that it doesn't surprise you why men are idealistic about womens' beauty and their own standards.

Hmm. Maybe that's why I despise fan service...

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Shota, loli, it's all a bit 'hmmmm....' to me..

Put bluntly some people use the excuse of anime for their paedophile urges (I once knew a guy like that in an IRC server) which I honestly find disgusting; I watch anime for enjoyment, not to [bleep] to children.

in before inevitable crapstorm and HUUUUUR DUUUUURRR

Oh you silly people and your morals.

OH YOU and your insinuations. So clever.

I cant say im into pissing myself, but I do have super moe moe lolis on my phone. Most people just leave it at "LOL JAPAN".

Anime is never to be taken seriously.

That's why I watch it, for something really really silly.

But you cant have POWERLEVEL discussions with something 'really really silly'. Thats where the lol begins.

knkcopy.jpg

Up to Episode 18 in Neon Genesis Evangelion and it is brilliant.

Thinking I might read the manga after as my first manga ive read.

Previous "fatbill" till I lost the password.

Please click below to help with my ICT A Level, for which I have to monitor my website for 8 weeks, hits and feedback welcome.

http://www.chauncystweb.co.uk/sm

Feedback page now up and working

just got back from holiday. MY GOD. MY BITTORRENT CANT HANDLE THIS MANY EPISODES AT ONCE!!

also, lol epic saimoe final. I feel I should change my avatar in recognition of it, but I cant be arsed to change the size of the one I use for steam / MSN.

Tk5SF.png

Just saw Xam'd: Lost Memories at school. The opening theme is horribly catchy and the anime itself seems pretty interesting. I think the people who did Cowboy Bebop did this one too. Hah, I'll get in 2/3 more episodes until my next lesson though I'll have to watch it in low quality. But I'm glad that crunchyroll isn't blocked.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Thinking I might read the manga after as my first manga ive read.

The mango fills in a lot of gaps, but thats not to say it explains any of it.

also, lol epic saimoe final. I feel I should change my avatar in recognition of it, but I cant be arsed to change the size of the one I use for steam / MSN.

kagaminsip.jpeg

Just saw Xam'd: Lost Memories at school. The opening theme is horribly catchy and the anime itself seems pretty interesting. I think the people who did Cowboy Bebop did this one too. Hah, I'll get in 2/3 more episodes until my next lesson though I'll have to watch it in low quality. But I'm glad that crunchyroll isn't blocked.

Eww, people watch streamed animu? Last time I did that I hurt my eyes from compression on the subs. I much prefer just encoding my episodes to mp4 and watching them on my PSP. Thats only if I cant be at a computer to watch it, though.

knkcopy.jpg

Eww, people watch streamed animu? Last time I did that I hurt my eyes from compression on the subs. I much prefer just encoding my episodes to mp4 and watching them on my PSP. Thats only if I cant be at a computer to watch it, though.

Usually I'll watch the first 2 or 3 episodes of a series streamed before I torrent the whole lot, because I dontlike wasting time on a huge [wagon] batch torrent only to find out that the whole series is crap by the end of episode 1. Stage6 used to be epic for this, but now, you can normally find a decent enough quality version on veoh.

Tk5SF.png