Lowering of the drinking age to 18

RSBDavid

The thing teenagers think is that with 'drinking' comes 'getting drunk'. They think that because they arent old enough to do it, they dont need to be responsible - theyre "sticking it to the man" - so theyll just chug it down until they get drunk. But give them an excuse to drink and theyll just say "Well, im allowed to, arent I?".

This wont solve anything.

This thread is like a long tunnel, one person mentions the war/drink analogy and its echoing all the way down.

That said, I drink. Do I like drinking? Yes. Do I drink to get drunk? No. Why people do so still leaves me wondering.

knkcopy.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, I drink. Do I like drinking? Yes. Do I drink to get drunk? No. Why people do so still leaves me wondering.

What's the point of drinking if you don't like what it does to you? Unless by drunk you meant 'trashed'.

I live in a country where the age is 18 and there is a huge binge drinking problem, but even if it was raised to 21 or w/e it would probably not affect it in the slightest (or possibly even make it worse) - the binge drinking problem is caused by culture/attitude towards alcohol.

What's the point of drinking if you don't like what it does to you? Unless by drunk you meant 'trashed'.

Christ, if you don't know the definition of drunk don't even come into this thread mate.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Possibly your worst post ever.

I don't drink and I know it does wonders for confidence and putting you into a positive mindset socially, even without getting drunk.

Wow.

I dont even need a rebuttal for that.

knkcopy.jpg

Looking at britain as a country who has the drinking age at 18 i dont how anyone would even think about lowering the drinking age, especially in a country which has as many hand guns as people.The amount of drink related crimes and deaths is pretty horrific and this is a country which is so restrictive with anything that could be considered a killing instrument.

As a side effect its going to increase the availability of alcahol to minors because i think that 21 makes you mature enough to not mishandle alcohol to the extent of an 18 year old.I know a lot of 18 year olds who are less mature than my little brother.

tifsdac6mc.gif

lol

Will someone tell me what's going on?

I don't know either...I agreed with what you posted.

Either he doesn't drink and just wants to say, "Oh, I drink, but I do it responsibly and never get intoxicated" or he just really has no idea what he's talking about.

Some of these arguments seem to be the propaganda response that your health teacher gave you in 8th grade...

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I don't drink and I know it does wonders for confidence and putting you into a positive mindset socially, even without getting drunk.

I guess I'm just different then. Getting a small buzz just puts me in the mood for wanting to get really drunk. I'm better off not drinking anything at all than only having one beer, because only having one will just make me want more and make me realize how bored I am compared to how much fun I'd have if I was drunk.

lets go to Ollie Williams for the answer

HE LIKES THE TASTE!

thanks Ollie.

Tk5SF.png

I beg to differ.

Name one good reason why suicide is a tragedy. It's so stupid, selfish, and pointless. Not one good thing comes from suicide. The people that commit suicide only create pain and sadness for their family and friends. There was a guy that just jumped off a freeway overpass in my town and was hit by 3 cars. The first that hit him was a pregnant lady. She lost her child because of him. I get REALLY pissed off when people try to say that suicide is justified/sad/an option. People who commit suicide are the most unintelligent halfwits in this world.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I don't see the connection between lowering the drinking age and creating more responsible drinkers. People will just take advantage of the fact that they no longer need to hide the beer. If you've got people breaking the law drinking earlier and irresponsibly, how does changing the law to cater to them somehow make them more responsible?

As for the whole "you can serve in the army but you can't drink a beer" thing... That philosophy worked when they tried to lower the voting age to 18 in our country, but I don't see how politicians will look at this issue. There is no need for beer in the world at all, and if I could have my way I'd ban it everywhere. It causes nothing but problems, and even if you drink responsibly I don't see how it helps you in any way besides making you a little happier. And the whole "I drink to calm myself down and feel better" is simply leading to more alcoholics. I don't see why 18 year olds need beer in their lives, or why they can't wait till 21. Lets face it. Lowered age only means more deaths. There's no way you can avoid it, no matter how much you teach people to be more responsible, more people, will still die then there already are in drunk driving incidents.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I'm sorry, but anyone who tries to tell you that they like drinking beer or anything other than Mike's or Smirnoff is full of it. People don't drink beer for the taste. Especially not young people.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

I'm not American, and Britain hardly has the best track record when it comes to drinking either but I think it's more to do with culture than at what age it becomes legal. In France the drinking age is 18 but kids are brought up having a glass of wine with their meal with their parents. Drinking isn't stygmatised so people don't drink to rebel since it's not being rebellious. As a result there's virtually no drinking culture.

Until you can change the mindset where you draw the line is fairly arbitary. Kids still get the drink even if it's not legal, the only ones you're probably deterring are the ones who'd drink responsibly anyway.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I beg to differ.

Name one good reason why suicide is a tragedy.

It's so stupid, selfish, and pointless. Not one good thing comes from suicide. The people that commit suicide only create pain and sadness for their family and friends.
There are a few.

There was a guy that just jumped off a freeway overpass in my town and was hit by 3 cars. The first that hit him was a pregnant lady. She lost her child because of him.
I would call that a tragedy too. I.E. Suicide can -> Tragedies.

I get REALLY pissed off when people try to say that suicide is justified/sad/an option. People who commit suicide are the most unintelligent halfwits in this world.
I'm with you on that first part. Suicide is not an option. Ever. It isn't justified either. But surely it is a sad thing? As for the second part, I somehow doubt you have had clinical depression. It seems like a plausible, justified option to people in severe enough cases, it is a psychological, what would you say, handicap maybe, that drastically affects the way a person thinks. I'm still not saying it's right to do.

C2b6gs7.png

I beg to differ.

Name one good reason why suicide is a tragedy.

It's so stupid, selfish, and pointless. Not one good thing comes from suicide. The people that commit suicide only create pain and sadness for their family and friends.
There are a few.

There was a guy that just jumped off a freeway overpass in my town and was hit by 3 cars. The first that hit him was a pregnant lady. She lost her child because of him.
I would call that a tragedy too. I.E. Suicide can -> Tragedies.

I get REALLY pissed off when people try to say that suicide is justified/sad/an option. People who commit suicide are the most unintelligent halfwits in this world.
I'm with you on that first part. Suicide is not an option. Ever. It isn't justified either. But surely it is a sad thing? As for the second part, I somehow doubt you have had clinical depression. It seems like a plausible, justified option to people in severe enough cases, it is a psychological, what would you say, handicap maybe, that drastically affects the way a person thinks. I'm still not saying it's right to do.

All those reasons you gave are indirectly related to suicide. The death of the person is not a tragedy whatsoever, but what happens to their families is. I have no remorse for a suicidal person.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

I guess I'm just different then. Getting a small buzz just puts me in the mood for wanting to get really drunk. I'm better off not drinking anything at all than only having one beer, because only having one will just make me want more and make me realize how bored I am compared to how much fun I'd have if I was drunk.

We're quite alike Zierro :P . The only negative side is the thirst I get when waking up and sometimes not remembering parts of what I did. I still love it though, on a magically way new numbers from attractive girls appear in my cellphone after getting drunk. First thing I do every morning is check out my cellphone and whenever I see a new name I'm like... Wait, what did I do? Oh right I... You can finish the story.

Go zierro! Where do you live by the way?

;>