Lowering of the drinking age to 18

RSBDavid

That being said, a policeman that I know recently said that most of the DUI's he issues are for people over the age of 35. So by that logic, should we raise the drinking age to 36 because people under 35 aren't mature enough to not drink and drive?

Actually, by that logic it would be best to try alcohol prohibition again which well all know will fail miserably. The way I see it, if people are going to drink and drive then they're going to do it whether they're 16 or 50. Any alochol charge (underage posession, underage consumption, public intoxication, etc) you get tacked onto that DUI doesn't mean [cabbage]. You might have to pay a little more for your fines, but it's not going to be anything more than a slap on the wrist because you'll already be looking at substance abuse classes for the DUI along with the loss of your drivers license.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an incredibly ignorant thing to say. I often have a beer (note: one) just for the taste and refreshment.

Anyway, on the issue of legal drinking age, as assassin noted, it has everything to do with the culture surrounding drinking in the particular country. If lowering the drinking age from 21 to 18 is going to cause serious problems, then it's society with problems, not the rule. I'd argue 18 is a perfectly reasonable age physiologically speaking and any problems that result from a legal drinking age of 18 are the fault of society. Hell, we have problems here in Aus with binge drinking. We're some of the heaviest drinkers in the world as a matter of fact.

I understand where you're coming from, but I was just trying to point out that most 17 and 18 year old children do not drink beer for refreshment. I might have one if it's extremely cold, but most of the time they just want to get "hammered". Older people will do it for refreshment, but not younger ones. That was my point.

I see now. Makes much more sense. Sorry, it was just the way you worded your post that I took issue with.

I see now. Makes much more sense. Sorry, it was just the way you worded your post that I took issue with.

It's actually quite sad how some kids my age have little appreciation for well brewed beer, though. Some are only meant to be enjoyed one or two at a time.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

It is already 18 in my country, and there thinking of raising it to 21. I say good on them, Its a really brave move. If you can die for your country (you have to be 21 to get into the army methinks), surely you can be allowed to die for yourself?

if you are an aussie then that is excellent news for me :D

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I think it should be 18 anyway. If you can die for your country, you should be allowed to drink alcohol...

But magekillr is right. Don't be under any illusions this would cut binge-drinking. It's 18 here and there's still a problem with alcohol consumption, in both 18+s and under-18s. In fact, it's probably worse here than anywhere else. Unless you make it the cultural norm to drink responsibly it really doesn't matter what age you can legally buy alcohol.

oh i dont know, its 18 here too but i see more 15-16 year olds drunk and wandering streets then anyone legal i know. whih is odd as im almost 18, dont drink, yet my sister is 15 and is drunk most weekends. =\ (personal choice btw)

Popoto.~<3

I'm sorry, but anyone who tries to tell you that they like drinking beer or anything other than Mike's or Smirnoff is full of it. People don't drink beer for the taste. Especially not young people.

Lol. Beer is really the only alcoholic beverage I'll drink, and has been for quite awhile. There's no way I'd drink it if I didn't enjoy the taste, and was only looking for the effect. There's cheaper, more effective ways to do that.

Only in my very early drinking career (lol) did I drink premixed drinks, but I grew tired of them very quickly. They make me feel sick and I just don't enjoy drinking more than one of them.

This situation and opinion is shared by all my mates. So basically, your wrong ;) I just had to point that out.

anyway OT.

Lowering the drinking age to 18 makes sense to me, but perhaps thats because Australia's age is already 18.

According to my most reliable source (The American Pie films) it seems as though teens around that age drink anyway. To me, lowering the drinking age will only take the rebellious nature away from drinking and decrease the amount of irresponsible drinking (if only a little).

untitled-1.png

I think it should be 18 anyway. If you can die for your country, you should be allowed to drink alcohol...

But magekillr is right. Don't be under any illusions this would cut binge-drinking. It's 18 here and there's still a problem with alcohol consumption, in both 18+s and under-18s. In fact, it's probably worse here than anywhere else. Unless you make it the cultural norm to drink responsibly it really doesn't matter what age you can legally buy alcohol.

oh i dont know, its 18 here too but i see more 15-16 year olds drunk and wandering streets then anyone legal i know. whih is odd as im almost 18, dont drink, yet my sister is 15 and is drunk most weekends. =\ (personal choice btw)

It's the same around here. A group of girls I used to know at High School (they'll be 15-16 now) now spend one night each and every weekend getting blind drunk on Stella and cheap vodka.

It's that attitude that's dangerous. The concept of getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk. I can fully understand why people want to drink alcohol, despite not drinking myself, but honestly, I go into college on a Monday and people swap stories on how drunk they get on Saturday. It's like a contest to them - and the winner receives more social reputation. It's almost like they honestly believe maturity means swearing every other sentence and getting blind drunk on a weekend.

For the matter, the girls I mentioned don't have anything with the vodka - it's literally tasteless, cheap vodka.

I think it's related to the fact children are now growing up too fast, and are not given the proper safeguards. Children are forced to grow up so fast, that their idea of maturity has become very skewed. Maturity isn't about what you do, it's how you go about it. It's developing the self-control to not succumb to peer pressure, and taking responsibility for your own actions. The young idiots who do go out to get blind drunk cost the NHS £2.7 billion each year, according to Radio 1 this morning, and cause crime. I don't see why the rest of us who don't drink should pay for their recklessness.

Once again, the education system is failing at equipping young people for life outside of school, college and university.

The drinking age is 18 here, yet lots of people I know go to parties and get drunk pretty regulary.

And yeah, they're thinking about raising the drinking age to 21 (New Zealand), I don't know if its all a good move, 18 years old are going to be more affected by alchohol then a 21 year old, sure. But a 19 year old whos been drinking since they were 18 is probaly going to be more aware of the dangers and the effects of alchohol due to their experiences.

I'm not really that sure if thats true, but it made sense to me, anyway :P

The statistics may show 18-25 year olds (mostly males) involved in alot of lots of drink-driving accidents, but if the drinking age was raised to 21, would it really do that much? Would 21-25 year old males really change the statistics that much?

I do think 18 is a mature enough age to make decisions for themselves, especially as now people are maturing earlier (or so I'm told)...

Eh and if that didn't make sense, I was also doing this for ideas for an essay, considering we gotta write an essay argueing if it should be raised or kept the same.....AGAIN! (for like the 3rd year in a row....Get some more orginal topics, jeez :P)

(oh yeah, I'm basing this on what I've been told, I don't trust my memory very much, so if I'm wrong, I'm good with that :P)

Doomy edit: I like sheep

The legal drinking age in Australia is 18. The majority of my group(s) of friends only drink every now and then at parties, and tend to not get drunk very often. Like for my 17th birthday party, I didn't really care whether or not people brought alcohol, and out of the 40 or so people that turned up, not one brought any. It would be great if that was the norm, but it's not.

I enjoy alcohol, and I drink every now and then, but I've never understood why people get drunk just for the sake of it. I've only been drunk once, and I did that when I was at home. It was basically just to see what it was like, and to see what my limit was, in a safe environment. The first hour or so of it was enjoyable, but in my opinion the fall back to Earth makes it not worth it.

I really doubt dropping the legal drinking age to 18 will make any difference at all. People will still binge drink regardless of what the drinking age is, just because of the society we're in. I think the thing that made the difference for me was my parents' attitude to it. Neither of them like alcohol, but if I want something, I give them money and they go to the store and buy it for me. The fact that they trust me so much and the fear of losing their respect, as well as logic, have helped me developed a pretty negative attitude to binge-drinking.

But whatever. If people want to drink 750mL of Bundaberg Rum and get alcohol poisoning, go for it. As long as they don't harm anyone else in the process, it's just natural selection. (Bit of a cynical view, I know.)

Cool.

But whatever. If people want to drink 750mL of Bundaberg Rum and get alcohol poisoning, go for it. As long as they don't harm anyone else in the process, it's just natural selection. (Bit of a cynical view, I know.)

I think you'd have to be a very small person in order to get alcohol poisoning from a whole 750.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

It's 18 where I live, but the law is not enforced at all... It's commonplace to see 14-15 year olds drinking, for better or worse.

I used to ride my bike to buy beer / cigarettes for my dad since I can remember. What stopped me from drinking/smoking (I still don't actually) at a young age is parental guidance, not government restriction.

For the matter, the girls I mentioned don't have anything with the vodka - it's literally tasteless, cheap vodka.

Eh, I've had cheap vodka and I wouldn't say it's tasteless. Ever smelled a bottle of rubbing alcohol and you could almost taste it? Well I've had Hawkeye vodka and it smells like rubbing alcohol and can't taste any better than what I imagine rubbing alcohol would taste like. Don't get me wrong, I love vodka, just not the cheap stuff.

then the 15-16 year old will be sneaking beer instead

They already do that :?

Eh, I've had cheap vodka and I wouldn't say it's tasteless. Ever smelled a bottle of rubbing alcohol and you could almost taste it? Well I've had Hawkeye vodka and it smells like rubbing alcohol and can't taste any better than what I imagine rubbing alcohol would taste like. Don't get me wrong, I love vodka, just not the cheap stuff.

then the 15-16 year old will be sneaking beer instead

They already do that :?

You know what I mean :ugeek: , the younger kids will start drinking.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

It's a waste of time, nothing will change. If you make it 18, then the 15-16 year old will be sneaking beer instead. I'd rather have people who can handle it more drink illegally rather than a young 15 year old.

How do you know if a 15 year old can drink more responsable then a 21 year old? Parental influence has a lot to deal with it. It is like sex and smoking. You should have parental input,rather then friends who will lead you astray. I personally think the drinking age should be 16. I think they should limit what and how much you can drink. If some parents can do it with food, why not a nice beer?

For example:

At age 16, you are limited to basic beer and whine in small amounts.

at age 17, you are limited to more potent alchohols in slightly larger amounts.

at age 18, you are a little bit more then age 17.

at age 19+ you are unlimited.

Dont say " You can't control the kids, they can get it on their own or from friends". I know this already. You have to give kids some leeway, otherwise they will try to break the rules.

edit: For some reason this( :ugeek: ) reminds me of Evil Mumm =p

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

You know what I mean :ugeek: , the younger kids will start drinking.

Eh, drinking/drugs start around 8th grade in my area. And I live in an upper middle class/wealthy area. I don't really think kids under 13 will start drinking all of a sudden because of a lowered drinking age. I think it will mostly be high school kids continueing to drink, but it will be just a little bit easier to get the alcohol. No more "hey misters" or any of that since most kids know a few seniors who could get them alcohol.

@bballer: I agree with what you're saying. I know a lot of kids who go get wasted just because they know it's illegal and they're not supposed to. (I found out a few days ago) A study showed that our generation is more likely than previous generations to try to be unlike our parents. So, parents who don't drink/smoke are more likely to end up having their kids drink/smoke. My parents don't drink/smoke, but I do. I have a friend who's parents drink/smoke, but he doesn't (except when we go to Cancun, then he still wants to be responsible about it so I told him not to let me die).

I'd like anyone who is against the idea to recognize this point I'm about to bring up. Sure you keep citing statistics that once the drinking age was lowered to 18, fatalities went down. But why stop there? Why not just enforce prohibition again? With that logic, if it were outlawed, there would be plenty less fatalities. I think you should be debating whether or not alcohol should be legal in general, not just for a certain age group if that's the best argument you can come up with.

In Finland more or less the same as bballer described is done, at least it has the same idea. Under 18, you can drink 0.7% (But it's probably that way everywhere else) at 18 it's something around 4.7%, and then it goes unlimited at 21.

C2b6gs7.png

I'd like anyone who is against the idea to recognize this point I'm about to bring up. Sure you keep citing statistics that once the drinking age was lowered to 18, fatalities went down. But why stop there? Why not just enforce prohibition again? With that logic, if it were outlawed, there would be plenty less fatalities. I think you should be debating whether or not alcohol should be legal in general, not just for a certain age group if that's the best argument you can come up with.

*Looks back in history* Ever heard of Capone? The prohibition didn't work too well. There will be beer lord poping up again making homemade crap then selling it anyway.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I completely see your logic behind that, but as we all know alcohol prohibition failed miserably. The gov't only managed to catch and destroy about 5% of the illegal alcohol in America. At the same time, you can see marijuana prohibition is failing miserably in America as well. Prohibition just doesn't work. It's easier to keep it legal, tax the hell out of it, and try to regulate it. At least this way the gov't is bringing in some money on it rather than making it illegal and rasing our taxes to pay for their debts.

Also, prohibition will result in high priced, low quality liqour. The people making it will be more interested in profits than quality (just as it happened before). I would personally rather have high quality liqour at decent prices than to pay out the [wagon] for some nasty stuff.

No. In alot of countries there is a binge drinking culture which just stretches security & police forces to the breaking point. This is kind of what is happening in England :|

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM