Working out topic

Rarex

Ranger, to the level of toneage that he had, he couldn't achieve it with just at home work outs (push ups, tricep dips, ect).. a year IS more than enough time to get toned but not if you dont go to the gym/fitness center/workout/weights

anyways 2:59pm ,posted a picture, going back to the "gym" for another 1hr work out.. lets see if anyone is there.

bye

-Retired from Runescape on August 12, 2008-

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anabolic steroids and any other kind of illegal or legal 'supplements' (hormone accelerators) don't have any effect if you don't actually work out. You don't just magically gain muscle by taking them, so that theory flies out of the window..

Very, very few people under 20 can stand the physical and mental stress of steroids, if I were you I'd stop doubting this friend of yours... And a lot of people do work out at home. I've gone to gyms all my life but have recently thought of buying home equipment as well.

Ranger, to the level of toneage that he had, he couldn't achieve it with just at home work outs (push ups, tricep dips, ect).. a year IS more than enough time to get toned but not if you dont go to the gym/fitness center/workout/weights

Weights at home...? I had a bench press back at my house dude, it isn't exactly unheard of.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

In the photo you posted, you don't seem that skinny. Perhaps it could be the angle. Anyways, re-thinking it, you are "quite" (not really skinny) skinny.

I don't consider myself "skinny" nor do I ever plan on being "skinny". I have a friend who is 6'1" 130lbs. I'm 5'7" 155lbs. Of course, a year without lifting or exercise besides karate 3 nights a week has left me with a nice layer of fat over my abs and some muscle loss. If I started eating healthy and running I could drop down to 145 in 2 weeks, easily. My plan is to get on that then start lifting once my weight is down and steady.

Should I do sets of 10 for benchpress or just go 'till i cant anymore?

You'll do 3 sets. 8 reps, 8 reps, then on the last set you'll go until you fail (can't get the bar off your chest). Make sure you're lifting enough weight that 8 reps is difficult, otherwise you're doing yourself no good. Make sure you have a lifting partner. Free weights can be dangerous once you get tired.

And does anyone know a better workout for abs?

Good diet, plenty of cardio (you need low body fat % to be able to see your abs), and exercises like crunches, left lifts, hanging left lifts, etc.

I really don't get what I should do though..

Forget bicep curls and other isolation exercises. Check out this program. All it takes is 3 days a week, an hour each workout.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

Strength coach Mark Rippetoe has been known to put (on average) 30-40 lbs. on beginners in 6 months with this program and clean nutrition. Of course, he's coaching them, so don't be disappointed if you don't experience those types of gains.

But if strength training's not for you... then okay. Just my 2 cents, as i'm a beginner and i've been working with this program recently and I like it. As a beginner, maintaining proper form is where it gets difficult, I still am not overly confident in my form. Can always have someone critique your form though.

sig3bh7.png

Strength coach Mark Rippetoe has been known to put (on average) 30-40 lbs. on beginners in 6 months with this program and clean nutrition. Of course, he's coaching them, so don't be disappointed if you don't experience those types of gains.

Bullcrap. Straight up bullcrap.

Like assassin said, if you only allow visible muscle growth to be your motivation I'd find it a hard to believe that even half of you would get past the "beginner" stage. Insta-results just don't happen, you have to be patient and focused on more important things than your appearance, like your health.

In the photo you posted, you don't seem that skinny. Perhaps it could be the angle. Anyways, re-thinking it, you are "quite" (not really skinny) skinny.

I don't consider myself "skinny" nor do I ever plan on being "skinny". I have a friend who is 6'1" 130lbs. I'm 5'7" 155lbs. Of course, a year without lifting or exercise besides karate 3 nights a week has left me with a nice layer of fat over my abs and some muscle loss. If I started eating healthy and running I could drop down to 145 in 2 weeks, easily. My plan is to get on that then start lifting once my weight is down and steady.

I wasn't talking about you lol, I was responding to Zox's large post :P

I really don't get what I should do though..

Zox, have you read my huge reply to your huge post? if you haven't, please do. I had a pretty important question for you:

"I can't give you any direct advice because I don't know if your goal is to gain more pounds, get buffer, perhaps appear bigger, get skinny-toned arms, or toned arms. Tell me and I + others shall help.

So, what is your goal :P?"

oh and, you should consider 1 set = 10 rep (repetitions) like the whole world does. 8 reps per 1 set can be complicated at times (trying to plan out your working out hour & ect) and 10 is truly better. 8 is easier but 10 is what everyone does! so: 1 set = 10 reps

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)

Roger that. Remind me to sleep more :-k

Roger that. Remind me to sleep more :-k

:P

About you: I think you aren't skinny or fat, just regular :).

(I edited the post above yours to include 2 extra quotes, btw)

Working out topic

oh and, you should consider 1 set = 10 rep (repetitions) like the whole world does. 8 reps per 1 set can be complicated at times (trying to plan out your working out hour & ect) and 10 is truly better. 8 is easier but 10 is what everyone does! so: 1 set = 10 reps

The real difference between 10 and 8 reps would be the amount of weight you lift. If you're only wanting to hit 8 reps, throw on some extra weight. If you want 10 reps, you might want to go a little lighter to make sure you hit your mark. It's all up to the person lifting. Personally I like 8 because I'm done lifting quicker, even though I had to work a little harder for my reps. And you're right, 10 reps is more common.

Bullcrap. Straight up bullcrap.

Like assassin said, if you only allow visible muscle growth to be your motivation I'd find it a hard to believe that even half of you would get past the "beginner" stage. Insta-results just don't happen, you have to be patient and focused on more important things than your appearance, like your health.

Why do you think it's impossible?

I mean, for a beginner, yes, probably.. because you're factoring in knowledge of form (we're not talking bicep curls and pushups, we're talking squats, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, increasing the weight a little bit every week) and nutrition (not only should you be eating around 3000-4000 calories per day, but it has to be all quality calories). What i'm saying is I believe Rippetoe, if you know what you're doing (which is why I said this guy coaches these kids that can make solid gains) I think it could be done.

But hey, i'm just starting with this, and I try my hardest. I understand what you're saying in terms of not seeing insta-results, not expecting them, but what i'm saying above is with strength training, i've researched it a lot, and it definetely seems like good gains are possible.

sig3bh7.png

rarex what ethnicity are you? im thinking persian...(i only say this because i am persian also, and white rice is big in my culture).

people have been talking about the number of reps, so ill just give an insight into what i do.

im a swimmer, so im looking for endurance. i usually do upwards of 20 reps on most of my lifts, although they are medium weight.

ie sitting bicep curls, 25 reps each arm with the 25 lb dumbell.

im a swimmer, so im looking for endurance. i usually do upwards of 20 reps on most of my lifts, although they are medium weight.

Yes, what you're doing is toning lifts. High reps - low/med weight. I suppose Rarex and I should have been more clear that the reps we were talking about are muscle building lifts.

I mean, for a beginner, yes, probably.. because you're factoring in knowledge of form (we're not talking bicep curls and pushups, we're talking squats, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, increasing the weight a little bit every week).

That's kind of a bad point you're making- the beginner stage is when muscle growth is most rapid. A perfect workout for a beginner for, say, a year may get the results that you're mentioning (note: less), but once you hit you're natural strength muscle growth is nowhere near as fast as when you were getting to it.

(not only should you be eating around 3000-4000 calories per day, but it has to be all quality calories)

I don't see how anyone should be eating 3000-4000 calories a day unless they're doing nonstop boot camp level cardio all day (although in such situations I've heard of people eating upwards of 6000 calories a day for some of the crazy level kind of athletic workout routines). This is weight lifting- you don't burn a lot of calories, relatively. Just make sure you have enough protein for muscle rebuilding, and beyond that just eat healthy. No need to engorge yourself.

What i'm saying is I believe Rippetoe, if you know what you're doing (which is why I said this guy coaches these kids that can make solid gains) I think it could be done.

But hey, i'm just starting with this, and I try my hardest. I understand what you're saying in terms of not seeing insta-results, not expecting them, but what i'm saying above is with strength training, i've researched it a lot, and it definetely seems like good gains are possible.

Then let the results speak for themselves, if you can really stick to it.

Yes, what you're doing is toning lifts. High reps - low/med weight. I suppose Rarex and I should have been more clear that the reps we were talking about are muscle building lifts.

i know what kind of exercise im doing and i know what you were talking about. if you read what i wrote, i said i would just give an insight into how i lift because i felt like sharing.

That's kind of a bad point you're making- the beginner stage is when muscle growth is most rapid. A perfect workout for a beginner for, say, a year may get the results that you're mentioning (note: less), but once you hit you're natural strength muscle growth is nowhere near as fast as when you were getting to it.

Okay, that's true, but having perfect form (which is very important, not only to reap maximum benefits, but to avoid injury) for squats/deadlifts and so on takes time and sometimes help (from someone more experienced/a trainer) to nail down.

I don't see how anyone should be eating 3000-4000 calories a day unless they're doing nonstop boot camp level cardio all day (although in such situations I've heard of people eating upwards of 6000 calories a day for some of the crazy level kind of athletic workout routines). This is weight lifting- you don't burn a lot of calories, relatively. Just make sure you have enough protein for muscle rebuilding, and beyond that just eat healthy. No need to engorge yourself.

3,000-4,000 is the standard for bulking. You're bound to put on at least some fat when trying to "gain weight", it's not gonna be alll muscle. If you just wanna stay in shape, or you're not looking to grow a whole lot bigger, less would be preferred. 6,000? I'd like to know what that routine is all about :lol:

Then let the results speak for themselves, if you can really stick to it.

"really" in the sense of doubt? Or "really" in the sense of "very much so"? :? It's a tough program though, especially now since i'm squatting over my bodyweight.

sig3bh7.png

^^ What position do you play in rugby?

Sorry for not replying sooner, however, i play fullback. Ive also subbed in for 8man on occasion.

Ah, my old position (including the occasional number 8). :) I wouldn't worry about bulking up too much unless you're playing in the forwards regularly. As long as you feel confident going in for all the tackles that you'll need to make at the back I'd say speed and endurance were more important for a back.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Any squash players know what I'd need to do to improve my game physically? (If anything.) I've always had quite a good stamina, can cross the court pretty quickly and can hit the ball as hard as I need to, so never really considered working out or anything...

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Apparently I have a high metabolism. I've lost nearly 30 pounds in six weeks of track.

I didn't know that was possible.

I once saw a "The Ultimate Fighter" episode where a dude lost 20 pounds in *24 hours* in order to make weight for the fight.. like damn!

hehe

:)

anything is possible

and nice job btw :)

Working out topic

25 "reps" is really 2 sets and a half (considering 10 reps = 1 set). So you did 2.5 sets of Sitting Bicep Curls for ea arm

no, i did 3 sets of 25. reps is just short for repetitions, and there is no set number for reps. mean is that 10 reps does not always equal 1 set. a set can have as many reps as a person chooses.

where do you get these strange ideas from?