Working out topic

Rarex

Or, if you want to maintain your cardio on top of weightlifting, do intensive sprint training. Yesterday I went to a nearby hill that's probably about 100-200m big, i'd sprint up it, walk down and repeat for 20 minutes. That was enough to absolutely destroy my lungs but won't have eaten away at my muscle as much because it was short bursts. It's good for building lower power though.

I mean okay, if you're really serious about bodybuilding even cardio like that should probably be avoided, but I'd never want to get to a state where i'd neglect my cardio fitness for pure muscle building.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean okay, if you're really serious about bodybuilding even cardio like that should probably be avoided, but I'd never want to get to a state where i'd neglect my cardio fitness for pure muscle building.

Understandably not a lot of people on some fan site will take BB 'seriously'... That advice was in case you really *do* want to build mass and focus on it for long periods to reach goals. An average guy who just works out for the health benefits probably wont have to worry about catabolism and cutting down on cardio.

Off to gym now too btw, hehe.

Is it possible to keep up a good cardio fitness and be toned with a fair bit of muscle at the same time? I'm sixteen in about a month and when I am I can go to the gym after five without an adult signing me in, so I get a lot more time to go. I was thinking of setting myself a new routine and keeping it up for a good few months and try to get some results.

Is it possible to keep up a good cardio fitness and be toned with a fair bit of muscle at the same time? I'm sixteen in about a month and when I am I can go to the gym after five without an adult signing me in, so I get a lot more time to go. I was thinking of setting myself a new routine and keeping it up for a good few months and try to get some results.

Absolutely, depending on your physique you might have to work at one aspect more than the other. For example I naturally seem to build up good cardio easier than muscle bulk, so my exercise routine generally reflects that, but yeah there's definitely a happy equilibrium.

Or, if you want to maintain your cardio on top of weightlifting, do intensive sprint training. Yesterday I went to a nearby hill that's probably about 100-200m big, i'd sprint up it, walk down and repeat for 20 minutes. That was enough to absolutely destroy my lungs but won't have eaten away at my muscle as much because it was short bursts. It's good for building lower power though.

for any swimmers out there, try my variation on a "sprint":

25m freestyle "sprint" at full speed.

wait 5-10 seconds

repeat 10-15 times

If you're getting a proper intake of calories, I don't see why you should not include 30 mins of cardio 4 days a week.

If you're a young person, let's say 16-18, I'd say you should be taking in 3,000-3,200 calories. This is of course assuming you're fairly lean as it is, and you're not trying to lose a lot of fat/weight.

I take in 2,300-3,000 calories everyday, with a ratio of 40/30/30 (protein/carbs/fats), do cardio 4 days a week, and it's just fine. People seriously neglect cardio, especially men. Men also neglect their legs and lower body...

I mean, I guess if you're going to be entering contests your plan is going to be different, but for a fairly everyday look great lean/muscular/strong person, cardio for 30 minutes 4 days a week is not going to kill your muscle building...IF you're taking in the proper amount of nutrition.

Your muscles eat themselves if you're not getting enough...thus the term 'catabolic state'.

I take in 2,300-3,000 calories everyday, with a ratio of 40/30/30 (protein/carbs/fats), do cardio 4 days a week, and it's just fine. People seriously neglect cardio, especially men. Men also neglect their legs and lower body...

Ha, how true that is. I've lost count of how many times I've seen people with 20" biceps, but at the same time have scrawny legs.

I actually enjoy training my legs more than my upper body, just personal preference I suppose.

If you're getting a proper intake of calories, I don't see why you should not include 30 mins of cardio 4 days a week.

If you're a young person, let's say 16-18, I'd say you should be taking in 3,000-3,200 calories. This is of course assuming you're fairly lean as it is, and you're not trying to lose a lot of fat/weight.

It 100.00% depends on your height and weight plus gender & what activities you do throughout the day. Age is a factor but a very small one, 3,000 calories is way over the top for most average people. Use this calculator for reference http://health.drgily.com/basal-metaboli ... ulator.php

Using a simulation with a 18 year old guy @ 6'0 tall and weighing 180 pounds and moderate activity (some excercise and walking).. The basal metabolic rate is 1877 cal, per day, total energy req. 2628 calories/day. If he were to eat your suggested 3200 calories a day he'd keep gaining weight for the rest of his life at a fast pace. Keep in mind a lot of tip.it'ers are kids, possibly not even that tall or old yet, a small % of the population needs so much calories per day

Yes yes, of course. I was being very general.

Thanks for the calculator though, and I'm right around the caloric count that I should be at (2,300 to 3,000).

I'm aware that they're kids, that's why I suggested more calories actually. Metabolisms, in general, are faster when you're younger. At least, my metabolism was faster when I was 18 (now I'm 20). So I would have taken in more calories when I was younger. That's also why I tried mentioning body type too.

Anyway....good of you to clarify what I was saying anyway.

[me]

Week has been going good so far. Regular thing as always: 2hr workout ea day

Hoping I can keep it up

:)

dont wanna waste too much time typing, atm 7:03pm.

-Retired from Runescape on August 12, 2008-

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)

i get the feeling that i am the only one here that works out mainly because i enjoy it

Instead of taking naps after dinner, I bring my boombox to my basement and just work out 'til I decide I need to get some homework done. I don't enjoy it that much, but I prefer working out than waking up at 10PM feeling like [bleep].

PRODUCTIVITY IS UP 20% GUYS! :thumbup:

hiccup.png

i get the feeling that i am the only one here that works out mainly because i enjoy it

I'm at the stage where I don't look forward to it... but when you're there, and afterwards especially, it feels great.

sig3bh7.png

I enjoy working out, but I'm a lazy person in general. The hardest part for me is getting there, but once I'm there, I truly do enjoy it.

I only get a tiny bit of exercise, if any, and somehow weigh 162 lbs, and are 5'11". Only exercise I get is going between classes on campus with a ~30-50lb backpack. Anyone wanna give me ideas on how to get into better shape? I'm not looking to build OMG HUGE MUSSLEZ or anything like that. I just want to be a bit better conditioned.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

[me]

Hoping I can keep it up

Wow. All those intense workout, super results, and still not willing to post a pic? I'm going to suppose you're not seeing the results you want because you're an idiot and won't listen to me. So I'll tell you again. Lifting with the same muscles every day will get you very little results. You're not resting your muscles enough for them to rebuild themselves. But if you want to keep being an arrogant little punk, by all means enjoy your worthless workouts. You could be building so much more muscle, but you think you know what's good for you and you're really hurting yourself in the process.

I enjoy it, but I've got to be in the mood for it. The endorphin rush when I've had a really good workout, and feeling the "pump" in your muscles (tight skin, bulging veins) is a great feeling now and again. But sometimes when I can't be arsed it can feel a little forced. I'm not that regimented anymore, I tend to only workout when I really want to make the most of it.

Just got back from the gym, went with a few friends which is something I don't normally do. My best mate wants to start going a bit so I might start training with him.

Nah b. Although on topic, i have a question, so i've been bulking for a while 190 pounds atm, if i cut i should be at 170-175 @ about 8-10% bf. My question, is should i cut, or should i keep a few pounds on for rugby, if i do keep a few pounds, will that effect my game in any significant way? Thanks. Im in grade 12 btw, if the question arises about the level of rugby

[me]

Hoping I can keep it up

Wow. All those intense workout, super results, and still not willing to post a pic? I'm going to suppose you're not seeing the results you want because you're an idiot and won't listen to me. So I'll tell you again. Lifting with the same muscles every day will get you very little results. You're not resting your muscles enough for them to rebuild themselves. But if you want to keep being an arrogant little punk, by all means enjoy your worthless workouts. You could be building so much more muscle, but you think you know what's good for you and you're really hurting yourself in the process.

I don't set out or think about what I will do before I start my work out - I do all 3 "main" areas of the arms - biceps, triceps, and deltoids -.-. I haven't posted a picture because i haven't taken one, why? because I haven't found some good motivation.. I would go on but you would think "he's just excusing himself -.-".. thing is, I haven't found motivation so I haven't pushed myself hard enough to reach the point I was before summer vacations. I will see how the next week or two goes and depending on how hard I have pushed myself - we will see if I upload a picture :). Why don't you post a picture of yourself :P? I know you have asked me the same, and i will see -.-. The first time I was asked, I was pumped/excited about it first because everything was going good for me so far on that day but things started going downhill the next day. Think whatever you want -.- (I know this might sound to you like a desperate & lame attempt at making an excuse)

Anyways, yesterday (friday) I didn't let my hopes down and did a 1hr work out @ home (mainly sitting & standing bicep curls) followed by a bike ride. Today, I did my 1hr workout. Good so far. Also found a real cool website about japanese girls :lol: ( I think I found true motivation, yo ). (website: )

Think what you want, I don't care.

I at one point "enjoyed" it. Not really enjoyed, but not "not like it" either. Nor did I think about it - I just did it. Anyways :)

Iono what else to say.

Tomorrow will be Sunday and ye :)

-Retired from Runescape on August 12, 2008-

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)