Working out topic

Rarex

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe by two pounds. I was 140, 17% BMI. Now I'm 112 last I checked, dunno BMI, though I'd reckon it's a lot less.

I was eating healthier though, and track workouts are pretty intense. Plus for four of those weeks, we were working out in 80-90 degree weather.

I doubt it is healthy to lose that much, but it's hard to keep my weight up without eating tons of heavy carby foods or anything.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I thought it was supposed to be unhealthy to lose more than 2-3 pounds a week.

Yeah, too much more than that isn't good, although I'll admit I've dropped that much or more in a day when I go from off-season to on-season. It's really not healthy, but compared to professional fighting where people will drop up to 30 pounds in 1-2 days so they can make weigh in, and have all that weight back 2 days later for the fight, it's nothing.

People die trying to do that kind of stuff. Who'd want to spend 20 hours on a bike in a sauna wearing a suit preventing you from sweating?

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I don't see how anyone should be eating 3000-4000 calories a day unless they're doing nonstop boot camp level cardio all day (although in such situations I've heard of people eating upwards of 6000 calories a day for some of the crazy level kind of athletic workout routines). This is weight lifting- you don't burn a lot of calories, relatively. Just make sure you have enough protein for muscle rebuilding, and beyond that just eat healthy. No need to engorge yourself.

3,000-4,000 is the standard for bulking. You're bound to put on at least some fat when trying to "gain weight", it's not gonna be alll muscle. If you just wanna stay in shape, or you're not looking to grow a whole lot bigger, less would be preferred. 6,000? I'd like to know what that routine is all about :lol:

I suppose it's just my personal preference that my arms can lift as much or more than they look like they can lift. Big arms just for the sake of looking big [via fat+muscle instead of just muscle] is not something I'd consider a positive trait, but again, that's just me.

And that 6,000 was some varsity hockey winter training camp or something at my university...

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

This thread has been cleaned and put back up. Laikrob and I both request that people do not discuss why this thread was temporarily removed from public view, and who had action taken against their account as a result of it.

Many thanks, and keep this topic clean or it wil be locked in the future.

Pryomancer and the Mod Team

spacescenev24.jpg

^^ What position do you play in rugby?

Sorry for not replying sooner, however, i play fullback. Ive also subbed in for 8man on occasion.

Ah, my old position (including the occasional number 8). :) I wouldn't worry about bulking up too much unless you're playing in the forwards regularly. As long as you feel confident going in for all the tackles that you'll need to make at the back I'd say speed and endurance were more important for a back.

Thanks. :D We have practices thrise a week i also try to get two days of my own practices in. Im not good at the sport, but its fun.

I thought it was supposed to be unhealthy to lose more than 2-3 pounds a week.

Yeah, too much more than that isn't good, although I'll admit I've dropped that much or more in a day when I go from off-season to on-season. It's really not healthy, but compared to professional fighting where people will drop up to 30 pounds in 1-2 days so they can make weigh in, and have all that weight back 2 days later for the fight, it's nothing.

People die trying to do that kind of stuff. Who'd want to spend 20 hours on a bike in a sauna wearing a suit preventing you from sweating?

I have a few friends who are amature bb'ers, as in they go to shows, and participate, close to the date of said contest, some of them work out with a garbage bag on, to increase water loss. :lol: I always found that funny.

• 2 weeks later...
oh yea, wanted to say something else. today is no school for me. yesterday I saw this dude who last year had no arms and now, all of a sudden, has toned arms! like wtf? obviously steroids, as he is never at the gym and whenever I see him at my gym class, he cant even do 15 push ups. Its pathetic ppl who take steroids.

thats it.

Hahahaha. I'm sorry for laughing, but that is funny. Don't accuse someone of steroids because they've put on some muscle. If he was on steroids, he would not be managing 15 push ups if he's mid cycle or had a cycle or two under his belt. That's absurd.

I keep seeing this word 'toned' on here, all too often. TONED is a state that your body can be in; in other words a way to describe one's body. You CANNOT tone a muscle and you cannot do 'toning' reps with higher reps and lower weight.

To get 'toned', you need to grow in muscle mass and also lose body fat, therefore making you more 'toned'. Basially 'lean' with muscle.

For the last time now, so the toners understand - IT DOES NOT EXIST. Lift heavy for 5x5 or 3x8-12 and you're onto a winner for hypertrophy and strength gains. Don't be led into this silly toning word.

:thumbsup:

Rs1 - X dsp x (84 pure plate) - Retired a long time ago

I can leg press atleast 400 lbs., while I can barely bench press 160 lbs.

Then you aren't doing it right. At all.

this topic is back...surprise.

rebdragon, there really isnt a corollary between leg strength and upper body strength. it may be strange that someone would focus only on lower body though.

as an example, a friend of mine leg presses 1000lb but only benches 150-160 regularly.

No, I understand that legs are stronger than arms, that's essentially a fact across the human race. What I'm saying is that him saying he can do 400lbs on the leg press is bull crap. He's either not extending right or not doing the sets right, or probably both. A set at 400 lb no the leg press is at or beyond world champion weight lifting level mate.

The 1000lb thing is even more bs. That's not even humanly possible. I mean, for christ's sake, the leg press machine at my university gym doesn't even go past 310 people.

EDIT: Strange, something is off about this. Doing a bit more research I'm seeing claims of up to 2,000 pounds- it seems that there's a combination of artificially high numbers and different form that makes it easier to life more. With limited extension I can leg press over the 310 limit on the machine, but with my knees close to my chest I can't break 200. More research is required to understand this easier version of the leg press, but first I must eat...

Buddy, I'm a defensive linemen. I focus on my legs because that's where all of my strength comes from. It's weird though, my deltoids, pecs, and triceps are pretty big while my my biceps are smaller.

And how can you tell me what I'm doing?

Because the odds of you being able to do 400 lbs in the form that I am accustomed to (which, again, upon a bit of research seems to be different) is somewhere below the .5% range of the human population, .1% of I may say so. As a defensive linemen the percentage of possibility goes up to maybe 5%, which still isn't enough for me to believe you on your word. Sorry, skepticism is a force of habit for me, and having seen pics of you from SODB I don't remember you being that ripped.

EDIT: Oh!!!! I see. Do you do leg presses vertically/on a machine, or slanted, and is your range of motion limited or full? Upon reading wiki I see I do a "cable" or "seated leg press", while others do a "diagonal sled-type". I think I may understand better where these numbers are coming from now.

No, I understand that legs are stronger than arms, that's essentially a fact across the human race. What I'm saying is that him saying he can do 400lbs on the leg press is bull crap. He's either not extending right or not doing the sets right, or probably both. A set at 400 lb no the leg press is at or beyond world champion weight lifting level mate.

The 1000lb thing is even more bs. That's not even humanly possible. I mean, for christ's sake, the leg press machine at my university gym doesn't even go past 310 people.

EDIT: Strange, something is off about this. Doing a bit more research I'm seeing claims of up to 2,000 pounds- it seems that there's a combination of artificially high numbers and different form that makes it easier to life more. With limited extension I can leg press over the 310 limit on the machine, but with my knees close to my chest I can't break 200. More research is required to understand this easier version of the leg press, but first I must eat...

What are you talking about? 400lb leg pressing is beyond 'world champion' weight lifting level, haha? Professional IFBB bodybuilders, who aren't even as strong as powerlifters, can leg press 2000+lbs. Yes, that's full extension reps on the leg press. No argument about it.

Edit: Oh, I see you know what it is now. Never seen your previous post there. Never mind.

Rs1 - X dsp x (84 pure plate) - Retired a long time ago

That was from a few years ago, buddy. ;)

I believe the machine I used was at an angle. This spring I was working out with the Green Run varsity team (one of the best high schools in the district) and I did the horozontal leg press with actual weights, I think I did around 270 lbs. and it was much harder than the gym's machine.

Can anyone tell me that formula for finding the daily intake of calories one would need to maintain their current weight?

I've been running about 3 miles 3 times a week lately. It's probably not much compared to a lot of people here, but I'm happy with how it's going.

snowsigyy7.png

Lenticular_J, your quads will always be bigger than your biceps. I can leg press atleast 400 lbs., while I can barely bench press 160 lbs.

When you bench you use your chest and support from your tris, i dont see how bi's jump into the equation. But yes, think it out logically, people walk alot more than they use their arm/chest muscle. Your legs will out press your upper body.

To reb, i spotted my friend who did 5 plates, and i belive thats more than 400. I know of a friend whose done 800+. :|

After a month and a half i worked out again last week, decided to ease myself into it so two day body split. God damn, i missed it so much, the sweat was running down my face, my heart racing, i had exellent pump, stuff rainbows and magical things are made of. One hell of a welcome back to bbing. Just wanted to share. :thumbsup:

Buddy, I'm a defensive linemen. I focus on my legs because that's where all of my strength comes from. It's weird though, my deltoids, pecs, and triceps are pretty big while my my biceps are smaller.

And how can you tell me what I'm doing?

Biceps take alot to build, their harder to come along, that being said, your arms are about 40% biceps. The rest is triceps. Keep at it, change things up, different bars, angles, grips, heavy/light days, muscle confusion, pyramid your sets at really low weights high reps. Whats your current routine for biceps looking like? What numbers you hitting? How long you been usuing the same routine?

To reb, i spotted my friend who did 5 plates, and i belive thats more than 400. I know of a friend whose done 800+. :|

Which, as I pointed out on earlier^^^, equals a lesser value on the leg press machine that I use (vert+knees-to-chest full extension, etc.), approx. 275 or so for the 800+ guy, if that. As evidenced by the drop off of Hell's weight (which I still think could go lower, no offense), different forms change the relative value of certain numbers.

Ugh. Is this even the proper way to do it, or just a nice way to put a high number on your stats? There are so many ways to cheat/make it easier (ex1: as the angle on the slant becomes less less force manifests against the direction of leg thrust, eventually reaching 0 at angle=0, and ex2: leg presses become dramatically easier as the starting position of the knees move away from the chest), if there isn't an official form for leg presses (which I could have sworn was my form) people will always have to take these stats with a pound of salt...

It's way too qualitative to pin down, damnit.

From what ive experience and i know, theres no proper way to do any exercise, dont feel lost. A full ROM gives your muscles the best workout, as in it hits all or most of the intended fibres, when I spotted my friend he did have a full ROM. I dont really understand what your trying to say however, sorry. :( The machines ive (and my friends) have used are not vertical as in a Y axis but on a slant.

theres no proper way to do any exercise

There may not be a set way to do an exercise, but there are ways to isolate muscles you want to work on.

So, today I finally got around to getting back on a workout plan. I decided to start light and really only hit my upper body:

-135lb bench press

-125lb decline press

-115lb military press

-50lb bicep curls

-40lb tricep pull downs

-100lb lat pull downs

Then went for a 15 minute run (gotta build my cardio back up) and hit my abs before I was exhausted. Also I decided to see what I could max out at (since I hadn't lifted in over a year) and I managed to get 210lbs up. Quite proud of myself right now :)

I'm definitely not upper body strength. Period. I can max out in the hundred twenty zone or so, but I prefer the bar with maybe...ten, twenty pounds on it.

I can do a lot more with my legs, praise the lawd.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream