Working out topic

Rarex

No, I understand that legs are stronger than arms, that's essentially a fact across the human race. What I'm saying is that him saying he can do 400lbs on the leg press is bull crap. He's either not extending right or not doing the sets right, or probably both. A set at 400 lb no the leg press is at or beyond world champion weight lifting level mate.

The 1000lb thing is even more bs. That's not even humanly possible. I mean, for christ's sake, the leg press machine at my university gym doesn't even go past 310 people.

EDIT: Strange, something is off about this. Doing a bit more research I'm seeing claims of up to 2,000 pounds- it seems that there's a combination of artificially high numbers and different form that makes it easier to life more. With limited extension I can leg press over the 310 limit on the machine, but with my knees close to my chest I can't break 200. More research is required to understand this easier version of the leg press, but first I must eat...

310 people? That's like 20 tons! If that isn't total bs then I don't know what is. Don't be such a hypocrite :P

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reb, I know those figures can sound weird and you're justified to be skeptical, but rest assured, the leg press capacity of most people is often 3-10x higher than their bench pressing ability, even if they barely ever do lower body training (a quick anatomy check, even on your own body, will show the obvious reason as to why your thigh/leg muscles can deal with so much weight compared to chest/bicep muscles)

Back when I was starting to work out, I could barely bench press some 100 pounds (50 kg), yet I could easily pull off 500lb (250kg)on the leg press. It sounds crazy, but it's really not. Years later, my bench press is at a maximum of about 260lbs (~130kg), yet my leg press nears the 1000lb (500kg) mark and I only do lower body training 1 time a week.

There's professionals who can do 1000kg (2000lb) leg presses easy, it's pretty fun to watch them stack all those weight plates :lol: That's literally a ton of weight...

uSNvEpH2L1o

Yes, Reb, It sounds crazy, but some people can actually do 8 reps with 1150kg of leg press weight. (2300 pounds)

Hey, run, way to come the party late. Learn to shut up before you look like a jackass, especially if you're going to spend the time insulting someone but fail to make a point in the process. Moron.

Blue (the proper speaker here) I was talking proper set or two of twenty each, holding for a second per press, legs fully extended from chest to straight, weights vertical with a machine.

What I'm seeing is angled (cutting the actual weight in half or more), less extension, 1 (okay, 8?) rep thrust and drop. The order of magnitude all those changes creates is insane.

Again, it's pretty basic that legs are stronger than arms in all those cases where people only work their upper body for an extended period of time. I get that. I have always gotten that. My point is that the technique is different, so different in fact that the numbers tend to become meaningless as the form changes. My dad used to be able to do sets of 400 lb leg lifts, and All-Americans he was training with would watch him do it in awe at him dwarfing the ripped trainer's max by 100 lbs (which is where my skepticism started, mind ya'll). The simple fact of the matter is that these are different exercises that we're talking about- they work the same muscles, do the same movement more or less, but at the end of the day the numbers can't be compared. The leg press machine only goes up to 310 for a reason.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

theres no proper way to do any exercise

There may not be a set way to do an exercise, but there are ways to isolate muscles you want to work on.

Yeah, there are ways, but there are many, some with little rom some with extencive rom, some with low weights some with high weights, at different angles etc. So theres no proper way to do said exercise, by that i mean that there is no "perfect" way to do a squat. While pretaining to basic stance yes, so as to not injure your back. But with various footing, rom etc. I just wanted to clarify that there are set rules for doing exercises but no right way. I wanted to keep it short but i guess i blabbed on too much. >.<

To reb, just a question, is your leg press 90 degress?! :o And where do you live? Because ive never seen a 90 degree leg press. Im not doubting you, im just wondering is all.

It's a machine designed in such a way as to be 90 degrees weight-wise, yes.

What muscle groups should I be focusing on as a goalkeeper?Football...Currently I do my legs for jumping and some lifting...I feel the need to do moar.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

What muscle groups should I be focusing on as a goalkeeper?Football...Currently I do my legs for jumping and some lifting...I feel the need to do moar.

Soccer? It depends on how tall you are, but keep quick reflexes and remain flexible.

Probably leg muscles, build up the power for the quick bursts of power you are gonna need to quickly dive. Being a wicketkeeper in cricket, I suppose I can relate to this and I've always been told to have strength in my legs.

And of course your core.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Core, legs. I guess thats what you should do, and the obvious cardio.

Do explosive squats. Lowish weight, very slowly squat almost all the way to the floor then explode up as fast as possible. That'll help build your explosive strength in your legs which is essentially for being a keeper, and utilises the faster twitch muscles.

I saw a guy squatting 180kg at the gym last night, which is pretty monstrous when you actually see it done. He wasn't even using a pad.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Anyone pactularly do semi-leg extentions for strength? I heard from a friend that you should load up the leg press with x2 the weight and keep safeties on, etend away, im trying next leg day, any thoughts? :P

That hundred pushups thing doesnt work #-o I've finished week 6 for the second time and still not even near the 100 push ups :|

Don't compromise your form =D.As in look ahead always and keep your body in position.Don't be tempted to use your [wagon] only,or use the divebomber style (yet).Keep in position and push yourself.Forget the exact numbers they recommend.Get at least that,but if possible push yourself further.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I've been doing the same routine for about 2, 3 months now and I reckon I should change things up so that I don't get used to it and not work as hard.

Currently I do

Bench, Incline , Decline

Lat pull downs

Bent over rows

Dumbell curls

Preacher curls

Leg lifts

I have a little idea of what to do, but thought I'd ask you blokes too - you seem to know what you're doing.

newsigzl2.jpg

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Do explosive squats. Lowish weight, very slowly squat almost all the way to the floor then explode up as fast as possible. That'll help build your explosive strength in your legs which is essentially for being a keeper, and utilises the faster twitch muscles.

I saw a guy squatting 180kg at the gym last night, which is pretty monstrous when you actually see it done. He wasn't even using a pad.

Yes... squats are 100x better than the leg press discussed in the last page :lol:

Make sure you got good form though, it's not a squat if your thighs aren't going parallel to the ground. I'm up to 160 lbs (3 sets/5 reps) on the squat... still working on it, but it felt really heavy :|

sig3bh7.png

I've been doing the same routine for about 2, 3 months now and I reckon I should change things up so that I don't get used to it and not work as hard.

Currently I do

Bench, Incline , Decline

Lat pull downs

Bent over rows

Dumbell curls

Preacher curls

Leg lifts

I have a little idea of what to do, but thought I'd ask you blokes too - you seem to know what you're doing.

You're doing too many isolations. Pretty bad routine, to be totally honest with you, mate. Stick to heavy weights with compound movements. I mean, unless I'm mistaken on 'leg lifts', you're not even training your legs. :-# Nor your shoulders. :-# Or doing deadlifts. :-#

Stick to:

Military press - shoulders

Bent over row/pull ups - back

Deadlifts - hams and lower back

Squats - legs

Bench press - chest

Dips - triceps/some chest

If you really want to add arm exercises or isolations in, then by all means do so. However, you train your biceps on rowing movements such as bent over row and sticking to those movements, you're going to grow all over. Not to mention more test and growth hormone production by lifting heavy and doing squats/deadlifts.

If you're not gaining doing 5x5 or 3-4x8 on that routine, three times a week Monday/Wednesday/Friday, then your diet needs a look at instead.

Rs1 - X dsp x (84 pure plate) - Retired a long time ago

I've changed my workout a bit to try and bust a slight plateau I was having on certain muscle groups. Instead of doing biceps and triceps on the same day i'm now doing back and biceps and chest with triceps. Had my back/biceps day a few nights ago and my back is sore like it hasn't been in ages, which is great. I was deadlifting more than I've ever done before though, going for mass building exercises with the back and total muscle fatigue on the biceps.

anyone wanna post what their weekly routine looks like?

Fully body 1 hour and fifteen minute workout three times a week Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday nights. I focus on pectorals and lats in the upper body part, generally. Apart from that I just work everything in one go...

Currently I do

Bench, Incline , Decline

Lat pull downs

Bent over rows

Dumbell curls

Preacher curls

Leg lifts

You're doing too many isolations. Pretty bad routine, to be totally honest with you, mate. Stick to heavy weights with compound movements. I mean, unless I'm mistaken on 'leg lifts', you're not even training your legs. :-# Nor your shoulders. :-# Or doing deadlifts. :-#

Stick to:

Military press - shoulders

Bent over row/pull ups - back

Deadlifts - hams and lower back

Squats - legs

Bench press - chest

Dips - triceps/some chest

If you really want to add arm exercises or isolations in, then by all means do so. However, you train your biceps on rowing movements such as bent over row and sticking to those movements, you're going to grow all over. Not to mention more test and growth hormone production by lifting heavy and doing squats/deadlifts.

If you're not gaining doing 5x5 or 3-4x8 on that routine, three times a week Monday/Wednesday/Friday, then your diet needs a look at instead.

Ah cheers. Some days I would do dead lifts and squats, but having a pretty bad knee, I need a spotter and they are always doing different things.

Thanks for that.

newsigzl2.jpg

tetsupportsig2.jpg

[hide=]Sunday - Legs/Shoulders

• Leg extensions

Hack squats

Leg presses

Squats

Calves

Stiff legged deadlifts

Dumbell Shoulder Presses

Dumbell lats/flyes and front raises

Standing military press

Behind the neck military press w/ smith machine

Monday - off

Tuesday - Back/Biceps

• Barbell Rows

DB Rows

Seated Cable rows

Deadlifts

Pullups to failure

Shrugs

EZ Bar Curls

Preacher curls

Seated DB curls

Close grip EZ bar curls supersetted with light weight half curls to failure

Wednesday - Hockey + badminton

Thursday - 5 a-side football

Friday - Chest/triceps

•  
    Bench press

Chest flyes

Incline DB press

Cable flyes

Cable pulldowns

Skullcrushes

Above the head raises

Saturday - off[/hide]

Well, my off season (soccer/football) is coming up very soon, but I want to keep in shape for indoor track starting up in a month. I'm more of a sprinter since my longest race will probably be the 400m, and I play midfield for soccer.

So what I'm asking is, what would you guys recommend for a workout, for how long, and how often? I've got pretty much unlimited access to my school's weight room and cardio room, so there's probably very little that isn't available.

If you guys could also explain the workouts that aren't totally obvious, that'd be great as well since I'm very much a beginner.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

400m and midfielder in soccer?

Dude, hit the park, not the gym (or, okay, the cardio equipment). You better run your [wagon] off if you plan to survive/excel in those positions.

I'll be honest, bulking up for soccer is nice, especially for those hard 50/50 hits, but it's hardly necessary if you aren't playing at a D1 level. Just condition, condition, condition, until you can't no moe.

[hide=]Sunday - Legs/Shoulders

• Leg extensions

Hack squats

Leg presses

Squats

Calves

Stiff legged deadlifts

Dumbell Shoulder Presses

Dumbell lats/flyes and front raises

Standing military press

Behind the neck military press w/ smith machine

Monday - off

Tuesday - Back/Biceps

• Barbell Rows

DB Rows

Seated Cable rows

Deadlifts

Pullups to failure

Shrugs

EZ Bar Curls

Preacher curls

Seated DB curls

Close grip EZ bar curls supersetted with light weight half curls to failure

Wednesday - Hockey + badminton

Thursday - 5 a-side football

Friday - Chest/triceps

•  
    Bench press

Chest flyes

Incline DB press

Cable flyes

Cable pulldowns

Skullcrushes

Above the head raises

Saturday - off[/hide]

thanks bud

• 2 months later...

Hey, this is one cool topic, great idea, Rarex. And cool tips you give there.

So... I've been exercising for like 2 years - my 9th grade year, freshman and second grade in high school. I suddenly stopped, probably because I didn't have enough time, or because I was going through some kind of general "change" - stopped believing in god and praying every night, having apathy for girls, gaining more confidence and self-esteem, ... A lot of those sudden puberty changes.

When I flex my muscles at the mirror, I see that I have made some progress, mainly in the biceps area. It's hard when I push it, so it's not fat. However, I don't have enough time everyday to do these exercises and I'd love to get back on the track, since I liked the fact I was stronger ( first time I started working out was because I'd beat all my classmates in that hand-pushing game which even Sly Stallone was competitioning in one of his movies. Hehe.). Do you know of some good exercises that could get me back on the track?

I remember doing 160 moves x2 (sp?) with a 3-kg dumbbells last time I exercised.

Thanks in advance!

sizegf9.jpg

^ my book :^_^:

I don't play anymore, but I'm grateful I played through the best RS times!