Looking for Beta Testers for new RS related program.

Shinjula

******************************************NOTE TO MODS******************************************

If not 100% sure if this sort of post is allowed, I have re read the rules of the forum and have found no mention about offering software such as skill calculators so I assume I am allowed to but if this sort of post isn't allowed and I have missed a rule about it please lock this thread for me.

****************************************************************************************************

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to get people to help me Beta Test a program I've written. Its a Runescape Quest Calculator designed to help people organise information about Runescape members quests.

I'm looking for people running windows as it's a Visual Basic program. You'll need to have quite a large screen resolution (at least 1350x850) as visually is quite big. It should run on anything from Windows 98 onwards. You'll also need to have a reasonably stable system (not virus ridden) and be willing to write detailed descriptions of any errors you find.

The program is available for download at http://www.RSQuestor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Obviously this is an executable file so you should be aware of security, and have reasonable good virus protection for your own safety, it is free of all viruses, but of course at this stage you only have my word for that :) If you are at all worried, don't download it.The site above contains information on how to use the program and I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me in testing it. Plus of course, you'll be the first to have a chance to try out what I believe is currently the ONLY Runescape Quest Calculator.

If you would like to participate please go to the link above and download the zip file, extract and run the setup[Caution: Executable File] file and follow the installation packages instruction, then please post here to let me know you've done so. Please include in your first post, what windows system you're running, very basic computer specs such as how fast your computer is, what graphics card, ram. It's also very important for you to post whether or not the program ran first time for you and if not what the error and error code (a number which should appear in the message box reporting the error) you received. At the point we can go on from there to discuss any bugs you find and any aspects of the program that you'd like to see improved and/or work differently.

Your help is much appreciated.

EDIT : You'll probably need to close Swift Kit during the installation if you use it as it uses the same VB Module as my program.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be waiting until someone shows that this is safe...(not that I don't believe you...but I've been fooled so many times into clicking on something like this.

On Topic: The pics look pretty cool, even though I can't really tell what they say. Once it's clear I'll run it on my Windows XP 2003 + IE8 (yeah, yeah hate on it :roll: )

Good luck with this,

CMP :ugeek:

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

I've downloaded and installed it. Norton360 V2 found no viruses.

However when I went to open it, I got a

run-time error '380':

invalid property value

this happened multiple times.

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1

Note that this isn't verification that this programme is safe, I'm not a tech expert.

spacescenev24.jpg

Looks nice but in the current security climate people just dont like downloading 3rd party programs anymore. The future is in browser plugins like the tipit microbar. Is there any way you could code this up in php and use GD to process the images?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Just did a Virusscan.jotti scan, here is the report:

[hide=Scan Report]Scan taken on 03 Sep 2008 08:17:25 (GMT)

A-Squared

Found nothing

AntiVir

Found nothing

ArcaVir

Found nothing

Avast

Found nothing

AVG Antivirus

Found nothing

BitDefender

Found nothing

ClamAV

Found nothing

CPsecure

Found nothing

Dr.Web

Found nothing

F-Prot Antivirus

Found nothing

F-Secure Anti-Virus

Found nothing

Fortinet

Found nothing

Ikarus

Found nothing

Kaspersky Anti-Virus

Found nothing

NOD32

Found nothing

Norman Virus Control

Found nothing

Panda Antivirus

Found nothing

Sophos Antivirus

Found nothing

VirusBuster

Found nothing

VBA32

Found nothing[/hide]

I will be installing this when I get back from my two classes today, I must say it looks really interesting from what I seen so far :D

acantha.gif

Stephen Hawking is now a honorary member of the Runecrafting Guild. He was also given a free sex change from the Make-over Mage.

off topic but woot im in 2 peoples siggys >.>

Make that 3!

I got this one from the site.

[hide=Show Bigger Screenshot]Quick%20Start.png[/hide]

acantha.gif

Stephen Hawking is now a honorary member of the Runecrafting Guild. He was also given a free sex change from the Make-over Mage.

off topic but woot im in 2 peoples siggys >.>

Make that 3!

Thanks for the really positive responses. Sorry, I dont know nearly enough php to code this in it. I've got very little experience in web based programming. Although I do think you are right and this would be a good direction to take the project in.

Glad to see the virus checkers results youve posted :)

I'll look into the runtime error you got, its an invalid property value it'll take me a while to work out why that's coming up for you and not me and I'm not sure quite how to trap it to find out where its occuring. I'll probably have to make a version with a whole bunch of msg boxes marking out each of the setup routines. I'll shout once thatsdone and then if Pyromancer could download the new version and give me the results I'd be very grateful.

Incidentally, dont worry at all about being cautious thats exactly the right attitude to take. There always people about who have either high security system who can try it out in sand boxes to check first or people with less care of their computers than you might who are willing to restore their system if it goes wrong. Hopefully people will start to feel a little more confident about it now, but as always if in doubt dont download.

OK A version that should hopefully trap the Runtime Error 380 a little (or at least narrow down for me where its likely to be) is now up on the website

Its just below the normal download link, called QuestorMSGBOX.zip

If you could download it and let me know which is the last message box you get before it recieves the error. I'll get onto fixing that

Has anyone who recieved that error got a smaller screensize than I've recommended?

I get the Runtime error, but the msgbox installer doesn't give me any new messages after the error message...

^nvm that, I read it wrong. These are the messages I get :

-Starting Program

-Resizing Window

-Runtime error 380 : Invalid Property value

So it must have something to do with resizing the window/the resolution? I'm using 1280*1024.

Yuck, VB.

Stop trolling.

I like it, though it is a bit confusing when first looking at it.

Notes..

Be able to press enter after typing in the user name so it collects your stats instead having to mouse click

when clicking the quests to see the requirements , you have to close it before viewing another. maybe make it so when choosing a different quest the previous one disappears again.

maybe using

Visible = true / False

to hide the previous one?

N.B i can't remember VB code very Well ;)

Maybe a Help / Read Me file included?

saving creates a run time error error.jpg

the graphics don't seem very smooth at all.

:wall: :wall:

i like it though and will probably use it \'

buzz_knight.png

buzz_knight.png

OK THanks for all the info so far, i'll get a new version rolling as son as i can there's a quick work around to the SAVING problem, I forgot (apparently) to add a routine to create a profiles directory. I will add it for the next version but you can simply go to the programs directory and create a subdirectory called "Profiles" and that should sort that one out.

And thanks Scorpion Pit, thanks to your help ive now tracked down the runtime error 380, shouldnt be long before i have a solution

This is a great idea, but doesnt tip.it already have one of these already? Im probably mistaken but whatever.

oh and I probably dont need this seeing as my QP cape just looks too cool.

08fbca3311.png

Electrone0.png

Winged Fish on a RWT complaint-

There's four complaints on the whole site, one from a mother who was convinced by her son that the RWTers she was buying him items from were from Jagex (and then got scammed and is taking it out on Jagex), two people complaining about having their accounts taken away, and one ranting on the trade restrictions and wilderness removal.

Now just change the background color and page layout, and you have the RSoF