Clans & Swearing

The Observer

On our forums swearing is allowed in general, but racial slurs aren't. We usually only react if the cursing is severe and directed at someone, so it's more the "respect your fellow TSG'er" than a swearing issue.

Clan chat is always by Jagex rules, to avoid members or visitors getting muted. It's open to everyone, so we have had people in there just to report.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man the reply button is hard to find on these forums.

Anyways, Gladz has a censor for racial slurs on our boards and a few scripts in our irc that catch people off-guard, but apart from that you're free to speak your mind.

Mandatory yearly post.

4 years, 3 posts.

Get a ban off! <3:

enzock.gif

Proud Leader of the Corruption Clan. PM me to set up a fight or for any queries relating to my clan.

Swearing is encouraged in our IRC. The more the better!

That attitude towards swearing is just really immature.

You know what's immature? Judging how other people operate by using your own set of standards as a basis for comparison. Maybe swearing doesn't offend us. This social norm you're attempting to impose about using certain words, or doing certain things, is totally ridiculous. Granted, in public you do need to act in a way that is socially acceptable. Notice, however, that I said it was encouraged in our private chat room. To assume that your standards should apply there is both arrogant and just a little ignorant. In short, no, I'm not kidding.

I'm better than you.

I don't see any problem with that at all, we used to allow lots of swearing in our unofficial IRC channel.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

You know what's immature? Judging how other people operate by using your own set of standards as a basis for comparison. Maybe swearing doesn't offend us. This social norm you're attempting to impose about using certain words, or doing certain things, is totally ridiculous. Granted, in public you do need to act in a way that is socially acceptable. Notice, however, that I said it was encouraged in our private chat room. To assume that your standards should apply there is both arrogant and just a little ignorant. In short, no, I'm not kidding.

You mention social norm. Is the reason of encouragement to swear stemming from being rebellious against socio norm? A lot of people don't really care about the socio norms, hence they don't care about the swearing but few actually goes against it totally.

But I do have a comment on this and I would criticize the encouragement as a bit irresponsible as opposed to immature, unless you are very certain of the make up of your community. Not whether or not they are offended but how it might influence them and how to act in public. For many younger people, public, private, online is just the same or very similar thing.

For me, I don't swear a lot, but when I do, it actually means something. Probably very different to other people, where some use it as often as we use "lol" online.

Templar Guardians

When are trying to lend something, the word to use is borrow. Not barrows, which is a mini-game.

Wasn't saying that allowing it is bad, just saying that encouraging it is immature (Or irresponsible)

You mention social norm. Is the reason of encouragement to swear stemming from being rebellious against socio norm? A lot of people don't really care about the socio norms, hence they don't care about the swearing but few actually goes against it totally.

But I do have a comment on this and I would criticize the encouragement as a bit irresponsible as opposed to immature, unless you are very certain of the make up of your community. Not whether or not they are offended but how it might influence them and how to act in public. For many younger people, public, private, online is just the same or very similar thing.

For me, I don't swear a lot, but when I do, it actually means something. Probably very different to other people, where some use it as often as we use "lol" online.

Oh not at all. It's just rather awkward when we are being our usual selves in there, and we will have someone come in who is, well, a stiff. To say we encourage swearing is synonymous with we encourage rowdy behaviour. I don't deem it irresponsible at all. You have to take into account the fact that people are well warned about the behaviour standards in our chat. We have families in Clan Jaguar, like real ones, and we know when to be quiet when someone's 7 year old wanders into the clan chat or what have you. It isn't really a matter of fighting the man and doing something that typically is looked down upon, it's more a matter of harboring a certain atmosphere that those of us who frequent IRC enjoy. I agree with the way that you have qualified with your statements. I agree that our set up only works with a specific group and wouldn't necesarrily be functional if we had globs of people coming in unaware of how we do things. In that same line of thought, I must again inform Lordofrah1 that his assesment of our situation is one of a close minded individual, who needs to understand that words like "irresponsible" and "immature" are highly subjective and differ from person to person. What you view as such is fine, but to state it in a definitive manner when you have only a narrow view is a little ignorant.

I'm better than you.

No we don't, you don't need to swear all the time. We may allow the occasional word, but only something little. Swearing too much just helps ruin a community for me, there are other words to use, we try not to offend other clan members and swearing is apart of that just as we don't allow racism.

mod1jv7.jpg

Of course, we are the reason Rs is age-rated 13+

Runescape is NOT rated 13+. Make an account right now with a birthday that would make you 12, and see if you can do it or not

[hide=spoiler]you will be able to play, but will have to use quickchat.[/hide]

22031_s.gif

Definitely not 13+ rated... if it was I could say damn. As it stands I can't use most of the lesser profanities, or utter the destroyer of Germanys name.

Do you remember the old Salute emote before they changed it? Made me think jagex quite liked hitler as it was certainly very similar!

enzock.gif

Proud Leader of the Corruption Clan. PM me to set up a fight or for any queries relating to my clan.

Definitely not 13+ rated... if it was I could say damn. As it stands I can't use most of the lesser profanities, or utter the destroyer of Germanys name.

Do you remember the old Salute emote before they changed it? Made me think jagex quite liked hitler as it was certainly very similar!

Well a salute is a salute really....

And most of our clan members are old enough to accept swearing, but swearing can lead to flaming and or make the flaming worse, and since PKM has a 0 tolerance policy on flaming....

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

last I remember we censored a couple of racist insults on the forums but generally our members are free to say whatever comes into their heads although that is not to say that they wont be told off for saying it (based on what they say in what context), there are no set rules in BK about what you can or can't say though.

Do you want to love me?

WG has some issues with this. Our rules are different for the lobby then the main channel. If anyone gets to out of line, even members tell them not just leaders. I think it has greatly improved. I first started hanging out in WG lobby in Dec 07. We are allowed to govern ourselves with council stepping in as needed on this. There are more strict rules about sexual talk.

rachelkn7ld0.gif

I quite liked that one actually. It was based on the standard military salute of the Roman Empire; a salute which Hitler took and perverted for his own self glorification.

Just wanted to clear that one up.

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci

I quite liked that one actually. It was based on the standard military salute of the Roman Empire; a salute which Hitler took and perverted for his own self glorification.

Just wanted to clear that one up.

Off-topic: Wow, I've never known that. You learn something new everyday! :)

j0xPu5R.png

TSA is pretty much a free-for-all within reason.

Over the top swearing can get you in trouble, but the content of our chat is at times 18+. Not that many people mind, we have a fairly mature atmosphere aswell as a few older players so it doesn't affect the community as we are very laid back. I think the dutch leader may have something to do with that ::'