Did you know?

thrash-boy

Not sure if this has been posted before.

anyway, Today i saw a vid on youtube at school which i found really interesting. heres a link:

Some points that really interested me:

-China will soon be the #1 English speaking country in the world (yes, china. Thye will have more people that can speak english than any other country)

-It is estimated an average person will have 10 to 14 diffrent jobs by there 38'th birthday.

-It took radio 38 years to reach an audience of 50 million, tv 13 years, and the internet just 4.

-Internet connected devices in: 1984 = 1000; 1992 = 1,000,000; 2006 = 600,000,000;

-The number of text messages sent and received today exceeds the population of the planet

-The amount of technical information is doubling every 2 years currently, by 2010 its predicted to double every 72 hours.

-Fiber optics has recently been tested to push 10 trillion bits/sec down a line. that is 1900 cd's or 150 million phone calls in 1 second

-in 2013 its predicted a super computer will be created that is more powerful than the human brain

-in 2049 a computer will be available for $1000 that has more computing power then the entire human race

-(i looked at the sources to find this one) in 2059 it will cost 1 cent for enough computing power to be more than the entire human race

Now im guessing everyone's smart enough to work out that this info is more than likely outdated to some extent, and the predictions are probably not correct (they are only predictions), so im not going to go out and save up a $1000 to buy a computer more powerful than the human race for my 57th birthday.

I think its scary myself. what does everyone else think?

---

EDIT: Just so no one can complain about me posting a youtube link out of the sticky:

youtube links are banned unless posted for good reason, and have a good post backing the link up.
I don't know about you, but i think i have a fairly good post backing this one up.

Well I did not watch the video (56k), but I have to ask if these predictions are taking into account the limitations of Silicon based technology? They have already reached an impasse as I recall hearing a year or so ago... just look at the new video cards (9800gx2 for example) they are almost a foot long!

Now this doesnt mean they won't find new materials to do this with... but I highly doubt any one of us (unless we become really wealthy and influential) will be able to purchase such a powerful computer. The implications of this should be obvious for any one: Sentient AI- perhaps surpassing our own intelligence many times. Need we all sit down and watch Terminator again?

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci

I don't see how a computer can be programmed to work like a brain as it only works through theoretics and not practice. It can give you an answer when you give it an equation within reasonability but it wont be able to solve many decisions like a human brain could.

I don't see how a computer can be programmed to work like a brain as it only works through theoretics and not practice. It can give you an answer when you give it an equation within reasonability but it wont be able to solve many decisions like a human brain could.

Exactly.

Plus, the reason why America won't be the number one English speaking country in the world is because of illegal aliens and the vast population China outnumbers us by.

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D

follow the swimming rabbit.......

Fixed.

How can people create something smarter than themselves? Wouldn't they need to know how to do that, and thus be as smart as it?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

How can people create something smarter than themselves? Wouldn't they need to know how to do that, and thus be as smart as it?

Not if the system can learn on it's own :P

Adaptive computers...... thats just asking for trouble.

I found the video very intersting.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

There are more high (and I mean the HIGHEST you can go) honors students in China, then there are people in North America.

That's because of China's population. I don't mean to take things by statistics, but many, many children in China take extra schoolings to get into universities. That just proves how high the competition is because of China's large population. And there will be more English-speaking Chinese because of numbers, you have to give us a ratio to prove there will be more.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

-Fiber optics has recently been tested to push 10 trillion bits/sec down a line. that is 1900 cd's or 150 million phone calls in 1 second

But over what length? If you can transfer 10trillion bits/sec over 2 inches, that isn't a big deal. But if you can transfer 10 trillion bits/sec over 200,000 miles, that is a competely different story.

Edit: Watched the video (didn't see the link earlier, lol). And if the slowest part if the fiberoptic cable is the metal peices on the end, then there shouldn't be a noticable difference between 2 feet and 200 miles.

Not if the system can learn on it's own :P

Adaptive computers...... thats just asking for trouble.

I found the video very intersting.

-in 2013 its predicted a super computer will be created that is more powerful than the human brain

-in 2049 a computer will be available for $1000 that has more computing power then the entire human race

-(i looked at the sources to find this one) in 2059 it will cost 1 cent for enough computing power to be more than the entire human race

Notice he said "more computing power". Not that it would be smarter.

But most of those arn't facts.

I mean you can't really say that there WILL be a super computer like that in 20xx, how do you know?

-The number of text messages sent and received today exceeds the population of the planet

Not suprising at all :P

There are some pretty interesting facts there though.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

But most of those arn't facts.

true. Alot of it is predictions and predicting things (especially things like how good computer will be in 40 years) can be very difficult.

Who would have predicted 100 years ago that we would have the kind of technology we have today?