General Guitar discussion

Haaa_Haaa0

Just wondering, but what kind of a gear do you use for guitar? List any and all of your gear, down to the picks and strings if you want. I personally have a Laguna SE-122 guitar (factory setup with handwound heavy gauge DR strings), Spider 3 15w amp (by Line 6), a Mitchell M-100 plywood top acoustic(with cheap Lyon light gauge strings), "Brain" picks, a capo, and some hercules guitar wall hooks. I got Laguna's "Ultimate Rock Pack" for a Late X-mas present last year, and that is most of my electric setup. My dream guitar is either the Laguna LE-522 ( =P~ ) or a Gibson Les paul, but I'm not sure about amps. As for acoustics, I haven't looked at many guitars. Anyways, go ahead and post your gear, wanted gear, and almost anything else guitar related!

(If there is a thread that i missed already like this, go ahead and close this one, and if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move)

Rune Tips Merchanting Site!

"rune tips cc" if you would like to learn some tricks of the merching trade! We have a great community as well.

Each of us a cell of awareness/Imperfect and incomplete/Genetic blends with uncertain ends/On a fortune hunt thats far too fleet

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitars

Squier Stratocaster. Changed pick guard to tortoise shell.

[hide=Squier]fender-squier-affinity-strat-black.jpg[/hide]

Epiphone SG. The red and black one.

[hide=Epiphone]VG400WC1.jpg[/hide]

Luna Exotica. Sounds really good.

[hide=Luna]solexotica_body.jpg[/hide]

Dean Acoustic-electric. Also sounds really good.

[hide=Dean]276608jpg.jpg[/hide]

Actually I couldn't find a picture of my dean, it's like that one but with different colored wood and the cutout is kinda pointier.

Amps

Squier Starter Amp. Sounds horrible :P

[hide=Squier]331874jpg.jpg[/hide]

Except mines black and grey, not brown and tan.

Line 6 Spider 3 75 Watt. Sounds amazing :P

[hide=Spider 3]461619jpg.jpg[/hide]

Pedals

Some digitech pedal. Sounds pretty good but the line 6 effects beat it.

Footswitch for my line 6 channels.

Strings

I always use ernie ball acoustic-electric hybrid for electric, then the ernie ball acoustic ones for acoustic... I forget which ones exactly

Picks

Clayton 1.26mm picks. Really good to play with and wear really well.

Recording/editing

Audacity. Free, easy to use, and insanely useful.

wl7w9j.png

[hide=GUITAR]RG370JB-5d0d57c2ee431a55cd3a66fa330dd000.jpg

an ibanez rg370 ;)[/hide]

[hide=AMP?]Line6%20TonePort%20UX1.jpg

its not an amp but it gets the job done so its ok for me :P[/hide]

[hide=PICK]delrin_picks.jpg

i use the blue one (0.99mm). its great :thumbsup: , i used to use the green one but it was too thin so i now use the blue.[/hide]

Why even try with that idiot? Honestly, there is no point whatsoever. I'd get better replies if I argued with a tree stump.

[hide=Guitars]231082mz4.jpg

Ibanez SZ320 with a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge.

100002809xlvd8.jpg

Dean '79F ML

and

fg720sln7.jpg

Yamaha FG720S[/hide]

For pedals I have: Korg Toneworks AX1500G multi-effect, a Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah and a Digitech Metal Master. I plan on buying an MXR Zakk Wylde OD pedal and a better multi-effect one soon.

My amp is a [cabbage]ty Line 6 Spider II 30w. I will purchase a Marshall DSL401 at the end of this month though.

For strings I use D'Addarios. 010s on my Ibanez and 009s on my Dean, but I think I'm gonna switch up to 010s on that one too.

The plectrums I use are Dunlops (the croc ones), there simply aren't any better ones as far as I'm concerned. Thickness depend on what song/music I play, but I use either .96mms or .71mms.

I'm seriously considering buying this one later:

schenkerstandard01aiy8.th.jpg

A Dean Michael Schenker Standard. Not anything special spec-wise, but it's a stunning guitar and I'm a big fan of (early) Michael Schenker. I'd mainly use it for live gigs.

2009rb9.jpg

I'm thinking about learning guitar, but not sure where to start. I have never played a string insturment, but I have played piano for 2 years, and saxophone for 5 years, so i do have musical experience. So, would some free online lessons be the way to go? Should I take private lessons? Buy some dvd's? I also already have a guitar i can use, some acoustic one and my best friends's les paul.

Guitar: Jackson dk2l, Epiphone lp special II, and a squire strat I converted to a left handed model.

Amp: Marshall mg10cd, Vox ad15vt

Effects: Crybaby wah, Boss distortion, (soon to be podxt :pray: )

Strings:Ernie Ball 10's/Elixir 10's

Picks: Fender mediums

clansig7.gif

heh, among my friends, I'm the one with the really good setup, but you all put me to shame. :lol:

And maleficius, i personally started off with a starter cd and then used tabs and wikipedia for techniques. I played piano for something like 5 years (my teacher gave up on me though :lol: ), and i can tell you that a musical background really helps. If you have a decent musical ear and a knowledge of some scale and chord structures, you'll be golden. I, however, have little or no musical ear. Best thing to learn aside from techniques is music theory.

"rune tips cc" if you would like to learn some tricks of the merching trade! We have a great community as well.

Each of us a cell of awareness/Imperfect and incomplete/Genetic blends with uncertain ends/On a fortune hunt thats far too fleet

I can't post any pics right now (my mom's pc blows)

My prefered brands are

Gibson (only for the les paul and the X-plorer...had one in my hands once...i feeled blessed lol)

Ibanez - i have a grx series, got a killer sound and a fast neck

Bc rich - google it up. not many ppl knows about that brand but their guitar are sick looking, if you consider buying one they are good for beginners. if you are higher than a beginner...go for the gold series and up. silver and down series arent good for touring and playing for long hours.

I used to like other gibsons and most fenders. but i try going for unknown brands.

Id like a custom made one day. I saw an artist doing guitar bodies on deviant art...and made..in wood (cant remember who was the artist) they looked awsome. and you could paint them to give it your own touch.

I will quote this topic as soon as i have access to my own pc. (which is at my dad's place)

XboxLive, PSN, Steam: fizz4m

If you add me, please say you are from tif :D

Bc rich - google it up. not many ppl knows about that brand but their guitar are sick looking, if you consider buying one they are good for beginners. if you are higher than a beginner...go for the gold series and up. silver and down series arent good for touring and playing for long hours.

Tbh BC Rich's may look hella cool but they suck for playing. Much better to get a Gibson or Dean.

wl7w9j.png

my brother recently bought this one

[hide=]2510015105003.JPG[/hide]

im... jealous -.-

I've always had a soft spot for the JEM series, even though I think they look pretty tacky (Steve Vai must be proud). There's just something about them that I like. Have you tried playing it, if so, how does it play?

2009rb9.jpg

im... jealous -.-

There's this rich [wagon] kid at my school who got that after like 3 weeks of playing. It makes me want to smash something when I hear such a [cabbage]ty sound from such an amazing guitar. I wish he'd let me play it.....it's a sin to play like that on a jem.

clansig7.gif

I've always had a soft spot for the JEM series, even though I think they look pretty tacky (Steve Vai must be proud). There's just something about them that I like. Have you tried playing it, if so, how does it play?

it plays really really really smooth and clean. oh, and its really [oppossite of heavy].

There's this rich [wagon] kid at my school who got that after like 3 weeks of playing. It makes me want to smash something when I hear such a [cabbage] sound from such an amazing guitar. I wish he'd let me play it.....it's a sin to play like that on a jem.

yea, i know how that feels -.-. theres a guy in my school who decided to start learning drums, next week he had an expensive drumset in his house and next week he had already sold it because he got bored of it :wall:. but, dont worry, my brother has been playing guitar for years :P

Why even try with that idiot? Honestly, there is no point whatsoever. I'd get better replies if I argued with a tree stump.

Guitar: BC Rich mockingbird, bronze series. -- I know, it's not that great but for a beginner it gets the job done.

Amp: Laney Mxd15 - Horrible amp sound, but nice effects.

Pedals - Boss overdrive pedal.

Dream guitar: ESP KH-2 Kirk hammett signature

~Retired 10/17/07~

finalslayerhz3.png

Zombies__eat_flesh__by_DJCandiDout.jpg

"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." - George W. Bush

2008 American Standard Strat

[hide=]Strat.jpg[/hide]

That's my guitar, same color and same fret board. I love it, awesome sound and it plays really nice. I use gauge 10 Fender Bullets on it. I also have a Brian May Red Special, which I also really enjoy, but...I like my Strat better. :)

As for acoustics, I have an Ovation and a Mitchell 12 string. My amp's a Vox AD50VT, 50w.

And what I'd like to get...

[hide=]PRS.jpg[/hide]

But that's not gonna happen for a while.

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

I have an Ibanez S470, a fender strat and a cheapish acoustic. For an amp, I've got a spider II 212. Pretty crunchy.

The Ibanez looks similar to this, apart from a missing central pickup:

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S7320

Ibanez S7320 and ESP KH-2 are my dream guitars. They both have similar badass look and their pick-ups are just amazing. I got to play both of these and they sound stunning.

~Retired 10/17/07~

finalslayerhz3.png

Zombies__eat_flesh__by_DJCandiDout.jpg

"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." - George W. Bush

im... jealous -.-

There's this rich [wagon] kid at my school who got that after like 3 weeks of playing. It makes me want to smash something when I hear such a [cabbage] sound from such an amazing guitar. I wish he'd let me play it.....it's a sin to play like that on a jem.

I also saw this vid on youtube of this kid that could barely play the powerchord part on canon rock with a steve vai signature. And he also had a gibson sg in the background :|

wl7w9j.png

ok, this is going to sound lame, but i saw on an oprah (yes, oprah, and i am a guy!) a kid who had something like 20 different guitars, some of them signature models, and could barely play anything remotely difficult. I mean, i don't even think alex lifeson of rush has that many guitars!

-edit- i just checked the official gear list at rush.com, he only has 10 different guitars, one of which he has 3 of, and a mandolin. Thats pretty bad when he's playing at a professional level and has half the guitars of that spoiled brat^.

i have a question about string styles. I've heard mixed reports on the thickness of strings. One person says the thicker the string, the brighter the tone, and another says the thinner, the brighter. -.- How does string thickness affect the tone? And, if anyone can reccomend some good acoustic strings, feel free. I'm currently looking at Earthwood strings, but i'm not sure on the gauge i should get (hence the question). Thanks!

Tbh BC Rich's may look hella cool but they suck for playing. Much better to get a Gibson or Dean.

well it depends. the gold series+ are very good. there was this kid at a school i was doing a sound tech job for who was playing cliffs of dover on a bc rich....you would think the kid wrote the song tbh

XboxLive, PSN, Steam: fizz4m

If you add me, please say you are from tif :D