Impressiveness of the Kill

Ravenkana

In their announcement about PK anywhere, Jagex stated that rewards would be based on how impressive the kills were. Now, what I'm wondering is how Jagex will go about these rewards. Look at revenants- they heal, freeze, teleblock, cast magic and use range, and can hit really, really, high. But what do you receive as your reward for killing them? Usually a few hundred coins. The really lucky might get an obsidian cape.

This probably won't happen so my real concern is HOW they're going to rate a kills impressiveness. Obviously they will include combat level. But what about the cost of the armor and weapons? Again, that would be fairly easy, thanks to the GE, to factor in. But what about items in the inventory? Will those be counted? After all, it wouldn't be fair to not factor in potions and food into the kill. But will it count only items consumed? If not a RWT could just take a full inventory, or even STACKABLE, of valuable goods and continuously fight the Gold Buyer. And what about summoning? Will they track summons used? How difficult will it be for Jagex to account for all, or even most of the factors involved in this new style Pking? Factor to few and RWTs will be back in business. Account for to many and the coding will be difficult to write and time consuming and may even be bug ridden.

And what if the impressiveness also goes for the winner? Say someone with full rune and a dds somehow manages to kill a guy with dragon and a whip. Will he be rewarded extra for his cruddy armor? And if this occurs what's to stop some yahoo with an AGS, praying protect item, from suiciding against far better armored players in the hope of getting a lucky kill? How would you feel if you lost your fury, full bandos, and dragon boots just because someone got a lucky hit AND was rewarded extra for one iteming? If this is a case, than this could be a golden age for one itemers, something no one wants.

I'm no PKer and my desire for this to succeed stems from fiscal greed. But I would like to know how you think Jagex will handle or should handle these obstacles. What do you think will happen?

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

I think the main factors will of course be your stats, but they'll count your equipment too (like how they keep track of your equipment cost in BH). And I'd imagine it would include prayer and summons too.

im sure the code writers will make an easy system to rack up the points. easiest way is to give armor a number rating, food a number rating, weapons a number rating, and just go from there. the difference between the two would be the difficulty for the lesser player, obviously if you are the better in the terms of the numbers, then you really didnt achieve much.

as for one itemers, im not worried. if i do happen to be on a world and a one itemer is trying to KO me with an ags or something, i would hope that i had a tele with me. I think the key in this new type of combat world is always keeping some kind of teleport with you as well as food.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

as for one itemers, im not worried. if i do happen to be on a world and a one itemer is trying to KO me with an ags or something, i would hope that i had a tele with me. I think the key in this new type of combat world is always keeping some kind of teleport with you as well as food.

I'm thinking PK worlds will work like the wilderness- after you go past a certain level, you can't teleport. And that may be where one-itemers lurk.
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

if i had to guess, based on previous track record, it will work something like the loot share thing. but i also think for very high lvls it will be more difficult to get a impressive kill. like the way fist of guthix started out. i could win 10 games and gain very few points for my 'score' but tons of tokens. perhaps an invisible rating system. there's already some weird randomness when you are maxed out that gives those with lesser stats a 'chance'.

so your best option if you're high level is maximise your chances with high #'s of kills. that's what i think anyway. but as always, i think the first week will be the best time to get the rare drops.

it'll be interesting, i doubt they'll explain the forumula to people; otherwise they'd exploit it. but i think generally speaking an impressive kill is a close battle i would think but who knows. my guess is if you're a midlvl player like lvl 95-113 you will probably have a good chance at getting those good drops. i also wonder if location would have any bearing on the 'good kill formula' whether it's a multi area or non-multi or what level of 'wild' it is. just have to wait and see. also i look forward to seeing how they lay out the levels of areas over the map and i'm also curious about the new items of course and i do wonder if/how teleporting will be limited.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

I personaly think that the armour and the Weapon determine the Impressiveness of a Kill. Wich would you be more Impressed? A Lv120 killing Jad with a Whip and only a Whip or the Same Lv120 Killing Jad with just a Bronze sword and only a Bronze Sword?

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

I bet youre wrong about almost everything you just said...

Me? O_o

No lol, the author of the thread.

I mean getting rewarded for killing someone while wearing bad armor? Doesnt make sense.

'Fraid I'm going to agree on that. More or less, impressiveness will mean use of potions, prayers, special attacks, armor, weapons, spells, familiars, etc. Oh, and how many more times you hit your opponent might be a factor too.

[Of course, you're going to hear the sound of "DDS is overpowered!" again from the community...]

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Impressiveness of the Kill

The longer the fight is, the more different styles of combat you use, the better the reward.

Nothing about killing someone in under 5 seconds with special attacks is "impressive" at last Jagex will finally reward true pkers (mb style) with the rewards they deserve.

I'm thinking that there will be a massive point system for your opponent and yourself so it could give you rewards based on how much you brought (bringing Bandos would increase the reward due to its price) and how much they brought.

Just basically greater risk means greater rewards.

Trapt45.png

I'm sure rubber chicken kills will be rated highly impressive.

There should be a "highly stupid" rating for kills like that. Where they should be penalized for being idiots.

I'm just going to go with what they use. Armor equiped will be "used", potions "used", and familiars "used"

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Like a few other posters said, I would think that the longer the battle, the higher the reward.

I would be more impressed with a five minute battle than a player KO'ing another out of nowhere.

So no rush kills?

Alot of pures were built on them sort of kills... unlucky to pures eh?

Even so i know nothing about how it will be made impressive. I don't even dare to speculate.

All sorts of players have views on what is impressive. A high lucky hit with dharoks? An extremely high hit knocking 100% of the players HP in 1 go with a dark bow? A team of players TBing then ancienting a guy for 20 levels of wilderness against 10+ brews? Or a drawn out closely fought match where one player just tips an advantage?

I suppose it's JaGeX that makes the final call so my view doesn't matter on it ::'

Oh man, if what you said is true, I will so be 1 iteming with my AGS, and going in and out of BH to recharge my spec.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

I guess it would be easy to make the impresiveness rate negative linear with the time it took you to kill your oponent.

Maybe times the hitpoints you slash/shoot of your opponents health bar times some kind of low number.

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

Im guessing its going to be about stopping real world trading. So -

Eating will increase the impressiveness

Good weapons and armour on the opponent will increase the impressiveness

Killing someone who doesnt attack/stops attacking will pretty much drop the impressiveness to 0

Killing someone very quickly with dds spec wont count for much

Basically, if the opponent shows any signs of making the fight easier for you, then your drop wont be nearly as good :P

Alternate Philosophy:

"Things just happen. What the hell"

obliviousvk7.png

There should be a "highly stupid" rating for kills like that. Where they should be penalized for being idiots.

I'm just going to go with what they use. Armor equiped will be "used", potions "used", and familiars "used"

RobinHoodie gets a "No Sense of Humor" rating for killing that joke. You now owe a full set of Godswords to Killotroll.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I´m thinking more like a ranking system.

Kill a person that is ranked higher than you, and you get more ranking points as well as better loot. Kill a person that is ranked lower than you and get less points and loot.

Items on death will of course be a huge factor too. I don´t think that things like eating etc will be a factor, I mean in a multi combat war were two guys are fighting and eating and fighting and eating and you jump in from nowhere and do the finishing blow wont be very impressive on your part.

fredzsodbtt6.jpg

21 lag piles, 4 Pjs, 2 Party hat kills, 67 newbs teached.

I´m thinking more like a ranking system.

Kill a person that is ranked higher than you, and you get more ranking points as well as better loot. Kill a person that is ranked lower than you and get less points and loot.

Items on death will of course be a huge factor too. I don´t think that things like eating etc will be a factor, I mean in a multi combat war were two guys are fighting and eating and fighting and eating and you jump in from nowhere and do the finishing blow wont be very impressive on your part.

You mean ranking like in FOG? Cause I don't think a ranking system would be a good idea...

RobinHoodie gets a "No Sense of Humor" rating for killing that joke. You now owe a full set of Godswords to Killotroll.

Omali wins approximately 7.3 internets for his post, and for making me LOL.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.