2011/12 Football Season

Phil

Apparently Real Madrid are close to a deal for David Villa + some other Valencia players. They should start investing more in defense really. I guess they're trying to outdo Barcelona in their style of play.

Florentino Perez never buys boring old defenders if he can help it.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/107435/Sir-Alex-wants-Torres-to-be-the-new-Ronaldo

Hope it wont happen..but if it will ,according to the new price standards Perez set, Liverpool should raise the price tag.

Seems unlikely. Rafa has already fought off bids for Mascherano and Alonso, so I can't see why he'd accept anything for Torres. He said he wouldn't accept 50 million for Mascherano because he's a key player. Key player would be an understatement for Torres. Also I've read that Torres plans to stay at Liverpool until he eventually moves back to Athletico.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

• 1 month later...
Anyone else here play Fantasy Football(http://fantasy.premierleague.com/)? I was just messing around my team before the new season started (Aug 15) and was wondering if Tip.It has a private league.

Seems nice, i'll check it out later. Tho i play Football Manager (gonna get FM2010 when it comes out).

Think i (or someone else) will create a 09/10 season topic in a couple of weeks.

Gunners' Nasri is out for 2-3 months btw. I would like to see them sign some English players in the future... What have they, like Walcott and a couple of reserves from England... I'm not even English, but it annoys the hell out me.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

• 2 weeks later...
How many rounds are in the CL or Europa League qualifiers before a team reaches the group stages?

From http://www.uefa.com

Champions League

* First qualifying round 30 Jun - 08 Jul 2009

* Second qualifying round 14 - 22 July 2009

* Third qualifying round 28 Jul - 05 Aug 2009

* Play-Offs 18 - 26 August 2009

* Group stage 15 Sep - 09 Dec 2009

Europa League

First qualifying round, 1st leg 02.07.2009

First qualifying round, 2nd leg 09.07.2009

Second qualifying round, 1st leg 16.07.2009

Second qualifying round, 2nd leg 23.07.2009

Third qualifying round, 1st leg 30.07.2009

Third qualifying round, 2nd leg 06.08.2009

Play-off round, 1st leg 20.08.2009

Play-off round, 2nd leg 27.08.2009

Group stage, Matchday 1 17.09.2009

sig2ho7.jpg

Leeds.

Too much speculation about Fabian Delph, he's on a 3 year contract and is a Leeds player for that time.

I really hope Jermaine Beckford goes because he really isn't that good, anyone could get the goals he gets because of the effort the rest of the team put in.

3rd time lucky in Lg 1, this is our year for promotion!

Jamje.png

null and void

Good old West Ham..

We're out of the two mickey mouse cups we were playing in in China after losing to both Hull and Tottenham. Good start to the new season! :lol:

A little disappointed with our new home kit, though;

0,,12562~6822730,00.jpg0,,12562~6506364,00.jpg

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

Does anyone think Ferguson will make one more signing before the transfer deadline?

I think so, but I don't know who...

I don't believe he will. He has said that the Transfer Market is too inflated and that players are over priced. Ferguson, being the great manager he is (I don't support Manchester), plans for seasons years ahead. So the team we will see come August/September will be a team that he has planned. Don't take Ronaldo into account ;). Look at all the young players he has bought over the last few years. He is always thinking about the future.

Even though I would like to see big "Stars" coming to Manchester, I don't think anything will happen by the end.

I'm still against Owen playing at all next season.

Residua.png

Does anyone think Ferguson will make one more signing before the transfer deadline?

I think so, but I don't know who...

He said he was done but I don't think his team is strong enough as it is. I'm tipping him to bring another midfielder to strengthen that area.

Talking of Man United's midfield, what is up with Hargreaves? has he retired or what?

Jamje.png

null and void

Sir Bobby Robson dies

Bobby Robson has died.

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »

View GalleryADVERTISEMENTPublished Date: 31 July 2009

FORMER England manager Sir Bobby Robson has died.

Sir Bobby, 76, passed away this morning at his home, a statement issued on behalf of his family said.

It said: "It is with great sadness that it has been announced today that Sir Bobby Robson has lost his long and courageous battle with cancer.

"He died very peacefully this morning at his home in County Durham with his wife and family beside him

Sir Bobby's funeral will be private and for family members only.

"A thanksgiving service in celebration of Sir Bobby's life will be held at a later date for his many friends and colleagues.

"Lady Robson and the family would very much appreciate it if their privacy could be respected at this difficult time."

Just five days ago thousands of football fans crowded into Newcastle United's St James's Park to pay tribute to Sir Bobby and raise funds for his cancer charity.

The friendly game featured an England side including Alan Shearer and several members of the 1990 World Cup squad. including Paul Gascoigne. They beat a Germany team 3-2.

One of Sir Bobby's most memorable games as England boss was the 1990 World Cup semi-final when England lost on penalties to Germany in Italy.

Before the kick-off of Sunday's game a guard of honour gave fans and players a chance to show their appreciation of Sir Bobby, who shook the hand of every player.

Proceeds from the match went towards The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, launched in March 2008.

The foundation has raised more than £1.3 million to fight cancer.

Biographer Bob Harris paid tribute to Sir Bobby's fight against cancer, saying the way he had battled five bouts of serious illness made him start to think he was "immortal".

"He was a lovely lovely man," he told Sky News. "The way I will remember him is that he was a genuine, real football man who loved the game beyond everything else."

Mr Harris said he had a "great attitude" to the sport wherever he played or managed.

He added: "As a manager England was his greatest pinnacle.

"He always wanted to manage England. I think he would have liked to have carried on."

Sir Bobby was one of the most popular figures in football.

His exploits in the Italia 90 World Cup when England battled through to the semi-final made him the country's most successful national boss since Sir Alf Ramsey.

Before that, his skill as a manager had nurtured Ipswich Town into a European force.

After leaving the England job, Sir Bobby managed club sides in Holland, Portugal and Spain, capturing the hearts of millions more fans along the way.

Five times he fought cancer and after his last diagnosis he devoted his time to raising money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, which kitted out a state-of-the art centre in his beloved Newcastle to fight the disease.

Such was the public's regard for Sir Bobby that the £500,000 needed was raised in just seven weeks.

Fans from around the world contributed to what Sir Bobby hoped would be his most lasting legacy.

By his 76th birthday, the total was well over £1.2 million.

Former FA executive David Davies told the BBC: "The players took to him in a big way.

"They respected him. They had some fun at his expense, to be sure ... but they will be immensely sad this morning."

Football pundit Alan Hansen described Sir Bobby as a "tremendous manager, a tremendous person".

"If you are a manager of a football club you have got to be very, very single-minded," he told the BBC.

"You've got to be tough, you've got to be hard but Bobby did it in a way that was special inasmuch as he was hard, he was tough, he was single-minded but the players knew that and they respected him for that."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Bobby-Robson-dies.5512705.jp

1(2) minute of silence before the nextt football matches?

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

I seen him accept an award from FIFA at the charity game for him last week, you could tell he didn't have long left, to his credit he made sure he shook the hand of every player and thanked them.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I've been a loyal Newcastle United supporter for most of my life and I really hope we can pull ourselves out of this messy situation. :pray:

In all honesty, if you aren't able to cruise the Championship, you're in trouble.

That was one of the biggest upsets I've come across for me in last years season. I'm not surprised about Middlseborough, as their manager is rubbish. However, the demotion of Newcastle shocked me, they have been a good side and usually are steady and are secure at mid table position. It was a sad time. :(

Residua.png

Woah. I just came back from a CL qualifying game.

Maccabi Haifa (Israel) vs. Aktobe (Kazakhstan)

15 minutes gone - I felt horrible. Aktobe were leading 0-3! There was no way we were coming back from that! I wanted to go home, but decided to wait till half time.

Half time - 2-3!! Amazing, it felt like we could easily score to more goals and win this.

59th minute - 3-3!!!! Celebrations all over the place, but it still wasn't enough for us to go through, we needed one more goal.

62nd minute - Guess what. We're in the lead! 4-3. What a great comeback. It stayed like this till the end and I felt like I have just seen the greatest game in Israeli football (not that we had many great games :P).

I feel awesome :)

I've been a loyal Newcastle United supporter for most of my life and I really hope we can pull ourselves out of this messy situation. :pray:

In all honesty, if you aren't able to cruise the Championship, you're in trouble.

That was one of the biggest upsets I've come across for me in last years season. I'm not surprised about Middlseborough, as their manager is rubbish. However, the demotion of Newcastle shocked me, they have been a good side and usually are steady and are secure at mid table position. It was a sad time. :(

Leeds squad was much better than Newcastles when we were relegated to the championship, I think newcastle will be suprised by the quality of that division, there are alot of teams fighting to get out of it and its not going to be easy, especially with all the nonsense going on around the club.

On another note, Fabian Delph to Aston Villa :cry: bad times

On a bright note, just checked latest odds for League One

Leeds 5/2

Norwich 7/1

Charlton 8/1

3rd Time lucky <3:

Jamje.png

null and void

Anyone else here play Fantasy Football(http://fantasy.premierleague.com/)? I was just messing around my team before the new season started (Aug 15) and was wondering if Tip.It has a private league.

Seems nice, i'll check it out later. Tho i play Football Manager (gonna get FM2010 when it comes out).

Think i (or someone else) will create a 09/10 season topic in a couple of weeks.

Gunners' Nasri is out for 2-3 months btw. I would like to see them sign some English players in the future... What have they, like Walcott and a couple of reserves from England... I'm not even English, but it annoys the hell out me.

Hmm, I prefer Fifa Manager. Too bad there are too many bugs in the game.

And damn, that sucks about Nasri. He's got a lot of potential. And indeed, I also noticed that Arsenal have almost no English players :lol: They have Jack Wilshere though :) And Aaron Ramsey, though he's from Wales.

2j3qh46.jpg