RuneScape Cash shop

shivers21

Children, Teenagers= Alot of time to earn in-game money, can't earn much real-world money.

Adults, those working= Little time to earn in-game money, can earn alot of real world money. The purpose of cash shop is mostly for the rich and this category.

The two groups are opposite of one another, a cash shop would make it balance out. I'm sort of indifferent towards this idea.

If the cash shop item is tradable than it would affect the economy.

If the cash shop item is non-tradable it would be a lesser version of discountinued-items.

Since, Jagex does not allow real-world item trading, allowing cash shop is just like crushing their own feet with a rock. Plus, I rather Jagex use their resource to improve and increase runescape content rather than on cash shop item.

Solisticez.png

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter as long as whatever the cash shop sells doesn't give the player an advantage over someone else. So items only for looks is fine, as long as they're untradable once you buy them.

It being called a cash shop one would assume they would sell gp, anyway that would give someone an advantage because anyone who wastes money there would have an advantage over anyone who doesn't because everyone else works for their money. And the majority things in rs can be bought if you throw enough money at it some skills included. As for the items you speak of, it would still be unfair for someone to get them with cash, whereas someone else would have to work for them, or not get them at all.

Edit: Also imagine all the social divides this would create, we would see rs being split into people who buy rs cash, and people who don't. I can almost guarantee that we would see people criticizing other for buying/ not buying rs cash.

Sometimes I wonder where all you people come from. People who "assume" things, when they're actually clueless. And people you don't read what I say and come up with BS conclusions. I can only imagine you have problems reading the english language, because otherwise it's just plain stupidity.

Now, if you had played a game with a cash shop, you would know what a shop cash is. Cash shops as in "I use my real cash to buy stuff". Cash shops don't sell in-game money, they never do. They sell power-ups (things that make you stronger or give you better xp), clothing (to make your character prettier), and game-specific things that are good to have. Usually, all of them are tradable. Which means, for instance, you buy a pack of 50 for 50 dollars, you sell each item for 10M, you just made 500M. When it's tradable, it's an indirect way to buy money.

Clothing. Clothing is what most cash shops make the most money from. Usually, it consists of a set of good looking clothes that you can wear ON your equipment, which hides it. It gives no advantage, it's just for looks.

Now, what did I say?

It doesn't matter as long as whatever the cash shop sells doesn't give the player an advantage over someone else. So items only for looks is fine, as long as they're untradable once you buy them.

"Items only for looks", hence clothing which gives you no advantage except increased prettiness.

"They're untradable once you buy them", hence you don't make any in-game gp with them, since you will never be able to sell them.

Now the next time you misinterpret what I say, and assume something really stupid, I'm going to make a long and lengthly post as to why I think you should go take some english classes, and go play a F2P /w cashshop mmorpg.

Wow... first off i have been here for a while and been on rs for many years. And for your information no i guess i don't know what a cash shop is, but what do you really expect from the name. I did say i was asumming no need to flame me for that now is it? I admit i guess i didn't read everything all the way through but you really could have just pointed out my mistakes. No need for an all out attack troll... I did still address what the poster said, i was just leaving my thoughts on direct cash selling. I am not sure if you have ever played the game called Runescape. The hole point is showing off. And don't even try and tell me its not. Why do people get skill capes, why do we try and get on the highscores, and why do we grind for hours to get some stupid/sword/shield/armor. Those clothes are an advantage just not in the traditional form so please don't give me this bs. Even if they give no game "advantages" it would still be about "Hey look i can afford the $100 shirt!" which is what rs is all about.

jpegsigtest.jpg

Children, Teenagers= Alot of time to earn in-game money, can't earn much real-world money.

Adults, those working= Little time to earn in-game money, can earn alot of real world money. The purpose of cash shop is mostly for the rich and this category.

Adults tend to have more expenses than kids, though; they need to decide whether to spend their hard-earned money on RS stuff, or things such as rent, food, and clothes that kids' parents would otherwise provide for them. Also, there are a lot more kids playing than adults, so it wouldn't really balance out.

Regarding the topic at hand: for one, I think demand would be extremely elastic, and secondly this would open up a whole new front for gp selling. Think about it: "You transfer me a mil, and I'll buy you $5 worth of cash shop items". This already goes on with p2p pins, but those are more or less required as part of Jagex's myriad of ways to purchase p2p. I don't think Jagex would want to introduce a non-essential feature that would give people reason to conduct rl trades.

One word.

NO

oh come on, you can put more effort into your responce then that.. you seriously fail... why not tell us why not?

You want to let people pay 20 bucks to make their virtual character look like this?

wutrs5.png

This is such a godawful idea. Update your first post. I wonder how many people are against this? I counted 16 very blatant No-s so far and 1-2 "I'd be fine with it" and one support which was you.

awesomeaa9.png

Adults tend to have more expenses than kids, though; they need to decide whether to spend their hard-earned money on RS stuff, or things such as rent, food, and clothes that kids' parents would otherwise provide for them. Also, there are a lot more kids playing than adults, so it wouldn't really balance out.

Regarding the topic at hand: for one, I think demand would be extremely elastic, and secondly this would open up a whole new front for gp selling. Think about it: "You transfer me a mil, and I'll buy you $5 worth of cash shop items". This already goes on with p2p pins, but those are more or less required as part of Jagex's myriad of ways to purchase p2p. I don't think Jagex would want to introduce a non-essential feature that would give people reason to conduct rl trades.

To add to that: currently it's well known in the netherlands at least that people around the age of 16-18 years old make the most nett profit on average! - Yes more than the age group 24-65! - Simply because they don't have to spent a single coin, yet have more than enough spare time to do almost a fulltime job!

My opinion on this is "no": I don't care about people buying decorative items.. (though it would be pretty stupid to see something like: you're fighting someone: he suddenly pulls out some flower and bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam dds specs you!)

However I've been with a lot of games where they started adding such "cash shops": and well, it always means that more and more attention goes to the shop and updating the shop's items. And less and less attention goes to the actual game content!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pets are a nice idea. And maybe they could actually do something useful, like automatically pick up your coin drops for you. Lord knows people waste thousands in coin drops out of sheer unwillingness to pick them up. lol

There's something like that in MapleStory, as this idea essentially copies. My black pig also picks up money for me. I paid exactly $0 for it. Mesars plox?

You know what? If they're going to add more customization options for our avatars, they damned well had better make them available to us through normal play like quests, minigames ect, because they day they start selling awesome clothes like this exclusively through some BS cash shop is the day I quit... I can't stand games that do stuff like that. If there are some awesome looking items available, frankly, I'm going to want them, and I don't want to have to pay my hard earned real cash to get them... having a cool avatar is just as much part of an MMO as levels and stat-boosing armor; it's why people pay 1m+ for useless items like black cavs. Selling items like that for real money only is no better than the massive RWTing that went on before Dec 10.

I have always thought a cash shop with special RS items would be a great idea.

There would have to be a few ground rules, like most items would not be able to trade in game as to not ruin the market, also there should not be items that raise states to high to make cash shop items and unfair advantage.

But you could buy items for looks, like new pets, capes, outfits, and even special limited edition items just for fun, would make them a nice bit of cash on the side and give us some fun.

Pets are a nice idea. And maybe they could actually do something useful, like automatically pick up your coin drops for you. Lord knows people waste thousands in coin drops out of sheer unwillingness to pick them up. lol

There's something like that in MapleStory, as this idea essentially copies. My black pig also picks up money for me. I paid exactly $0 for it. Mesars plox?

Same thing also on flyff, it runs off and collects your drops for you, its a great idea.

There will never be a cash shop because runescape is already p2p. People wont pay 5$ a month and still having to pay for cash shop items to get the most out of the game. No other p2p games i know of have cash shops, they are only ment pure f2p games because its the only way they can make money.

There will never be a cash shop because runescape is already p2p. People wont pay 5$ a month and still having to pay for cash shop items to get the most out of the game. No other p2p games i know of have cash shops, they are only ment pure f2p games because its the only way they can make money.

Neopets has Neopets Premium (a monthly fee of like $7) and Neocash/Neostore, and people buy both :|.

My Neo account is 7 years old and never been a member or had Neocash :?

Hah :-# I'm so sorry. I read your title and automatically thought it was about selling gold. I apologize.

OT: Now that I've read your post I think it would be nice to have a few extra fun items that are untradeable. I wouldn't pay a lot for them though, the prices would have to be pretty low.

]

You call harassing someone on an internet forum mature?

You think calling someone an idiot because they said owned in response to your -sigh- because you had Dharok in the tunnel without prayer, is mature?

You call harassing someone on an internet forum mature?

You think calling someone an idiot because they said owned in response to your -sigh- because you had Dharok in the tunnel without prayer, is mature?

I called you an idiot because I thought you were trying to harass me again.

Wallettheif.png

lordsalamence.png

jmccainwm3.jpg

The game.

However I've been with a lot of games where they started adding such "cash shops": and well, it always means that more and more attention goes to the shop and updating the shop's items. And less and less attention goes to the actual game content!

Main reason I never want it to happen.

This whole game will go to hell, Im telling you.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Come on people, please discuss THIS topic, not some random flaming about something compleatly un-related.

and the items would be relativly cheap, like the best would be $7 and the cheap items would be like 75c

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great

*any p2p mmo that's not for little kids.

*Laughs when knowing there are Neopets player older and more mature than Runescape players*

Thats why it has this image at the bottom of every page?

nkf.png

See that word that says "kids"?

blood_argon.gif

*Laughs when knowing there are Neopets player older and more mature than Runescape players*

nkf.png

Viacom is hitting Neopets pretty hard. Back in my day (yes I am saying that ::') There weren't ads on every page, sponsor games, Neocash, Neostore, etc.

nkf.png

Viacom is hitting Neopets pretty hard. Back in my day (yes I am saying that ::') There weren't ads on every page, sponsor games, Neocash, Neostore, etc.

Yes, I remember those days, when there wasnt any of that crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopets

[hide=Moar Infoz]

Media conglomerate Viacom bought Neopets, Inc. on 20 June 2005 for $160 million[2] and planned to focus more on banner ads instead of immersive advertising.[7] On the first day of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, the Altador Cup started as an annual international online gaming event[8] and had 10.4 million participants the first year.[9] The entire Neopets site was revamped on 27 April 2007, referred to as Neopets 2.0 in the Neopets FAQ.[10] On 17 July 2007, the NC Mall was launched[11] in a partnership with Korean gaming company Nexon Corporation.[12] The next day, Viacom announced on their website that by the end of 2008, Neopets would be changing to NeoStudios, "which will focus on developing new virtual world gaming experiences online, while continuing to grow and evolve the existing ones."[13]
[/hide]

blood_argon.gif

Come on people, please discuss THIS topic, not some random flaming about something compleatly un-related.

and the items would be relativly cheap, like the best would be $7 and the cheap items would be like 75c

You have no idea what JaGex would charge if they really did put in a cash shop. Your argument doesn't help your idea of a cash shop.

I despise games in which people are more interested in making their virtual character look nice rather than actually playing the game.

awesomeaa9.png

[hide=Quote train, Neopets]

nkf.png

Yes, I remember those days, when there wasnt any of that crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopets

[hide=Moar Infoz]

Media conglomerate Viacom bought Neopets, Inc. on 20 June 2005 for $160 million[2] and planned to focus more on banner ads instead of immersive advertising.[7] On the first day of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, the Altador Cup started as an annual international online gaming event[8] and had 10.4 million participants the first year.[9] The entire Neopets site was revamped on 27 April 2007, referred to as Neopets 2.0 in the Neopets FAQ.[10] On 17 July 2007, the NC Mall was launched[11] in a partnership with Korean gaming company Nexon Corporation.[12] The next day, Viacom announced on their website that by the end of 2008, Neopets would be changing to NeoStudios, "which will focus on developing new virtual world gaming experiences online, while continuing to grow and evolve the existing ones."[13]
[/hide]

Yea, I pretty much only go on Neopets once and awhile to go on the boards, but I'll have to come back and see how NeoStudios will work, heard about it a couple months ago... Quite interesting.