War of the Worlds - Spoilers Warning

misterxman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always lisned to the L.P. of Jeff Wayne's musical version of War of the Worlds when I was young (5 to 7 years). I was addicted to it, I didn't want to hear anything else than this L.P. (with exception of The Wall). We had some kind of version with a book with drawings in it, man those drawings were scary. I havn't seen any of the movies...though I like to hop on the bandwagon and say nothing is holy anymore.

I thought it was alright, but I can't figure out why the shields went down.

Here's the only reason I can think of:

Alien: "Oh crap, a disease is killing me, I better power down the shields before I die!"

Lol, as if a disease would make the shields go away

1953 novel. :P I thought it was one of the first Science fiction novels/movies, not sure about this though. :wink:

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

the thing that bugged me the most about the movie is the fact that they went through all the trouble of burying their machines thousands of years ago but didn't bother to take over the word then when humans where still primitive creatures. i mean why not take over earth when humans are still using clubs and cabbage???

they put the things there before humans existed.

Alien: "Oh crap, a disease is killing me, I better power down the shields before I die!"

Lol, as if a disease would make the shields go away :P

the aliens got dizzy when they got diesed, thats why the things were walking around in circles(the army man said). the aliens were keeping the sheilds up, but when they started going dizzy they couldn keep them up.

It didnt matter lol! They died anyway.

Hehe, the movie was pretty awesome!

My brother wouldn't talk to me during the whole movie.

My only quarrel is that the movie was too short...

GOOD JOB H. G. WELLS!!! :D

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

the thing that bugged me the most about the movie is the fact that they went through all the trouble of burying their machines thousands of years ago but didn't bother to take over the word then when humans where still primitive creatures. i mean why not take over earth when humans are still using clubs and cabbage???

Pet worm is asking how come they aliens didn't just take over Earth when they buried the machines when no one was around, why wait till humans appear to try to take it over? As someone else speculated, maybe they were fine in their homeplanet and didn't need the Earth till now.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

Pet worm is asking how come they aliens didn't just take over Earth when they buried the machines when no one was around, why wait till humans appear to try to take it over? As someone else speculated, maybe they were fine in their homeplanet and didn't need the Earth till now.

Or maybe because otherwise there would be no movie or book that people would want to read? :wink:

In the intro though, the guy did say the aliens wanted to take it over because they became envious of the humans or something.

well,in the narrated bit at he beggining(as adam007 said) the aliens started started to think we might become a threat(im reading between the lines). he also said its like a war between humans and maggots, us being the maggots. they didnt think of us as a threat, just a maggot. but every maggot becomes a fly, so they put machines in incase we got too powerful.

its just like we have lots of necleur bombs, but say we will never use them. then why do we have them? incase a country decides to attack, or gets too powerful.

if you think back, the main guy says his will just be he first wave, and more will come. does this mean War of the Worlds 2?

Good movie...but stupid that we got our butts kicked so bad and some dam bacteria had to handle our dirty work for us :roll: The irony.

it was the water silly, not a bacteria

Its suppose to be ironic...

Man tried everything but it didnt work, but then a cold killed them off...

Im more surprised that I didnt see a nuke go off...

They prolly didnt want a repeat of Independence Day... :lol:

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

the aliens got dizzy when they got diesed, thats why the things were walking around in circles(the army man said). the aliens were keeping the sheilds up, but when they started going dizzy they couldn keep them up.

my theory is that the sheilds/machines wernt etirely mechanical. you could see various elements of this being displayed when that thing took people and put them into a cage and then vines sucked them out anndblahhh......

but my point is that the bacteria wouldve effected the machines and sheilds if they had a biological element as well as a mechanical one to and thus being susceptible. but then there's also the fact that if the machines were buried for so long why didnt they adapt as human did?

so uhh, good movie although i did walk away from it with the feeling of 'just another alien' movie however original the story was (and there wasnt too much patriotism either which is great, coz i hated Independence day)

limpxbizkid.png

i+r+newblet.png

The fact that the video camera was working pissed me off quite a bit. And the fact that not only was the family at the end perfectly fine, but there street was not touched by anything. There was nothing that wouldn't be normal there. It looked as if it were just another Sunday afternoon where the family was gathering. Oh well I would have seen it after having read this anyway.

The fact that the video camera was working pissed me off quite a bit. And the fact that not only was the family at the end perfectly fine, but there street was not touched by anything. There was nothing that wouldn't be normal there. It looked as if it were just another Sunday afternoon where the family was gathering. Oh well I would have seen it after having read this anyway.

one little mistake pisses you off that much? there are mistakes in every movie like that. and at the end they were ok because the machines just started to work on boston, they just got there. at least thats what it seemed like to me.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

so to sum it up:

aliens plant machines on earth

man comes to earth

aliens shoot alien-filled lightning to fertilize machines (make em work)

aliens kill humans, capture them, suck their blood

birds with water and bacteria land on machines and machine gets sick

machine sputters, making its immune system weak (no sheild)

machine gets blown up

earth is saved

one little mistake pisses you off that much? there are mistakes in every movie like that. and at the end they were ok because the machines just started to work on boston, they just got there. at least thats what it seemed like to me.

They kept talking about how everything electric wasn't working. All of the cars, the lights, the news stations. It was a recurring theme and yet the storm failed to notice this camera that the movie then focused on. In such a high budget move I would expcet there to be a person who watches the movie before it's released and points out all the very noticalbe flaws.

They kept talking about how everything electric wasn't working. All of the cars, the lights, the news stations. It was a recurring theme and yet the storm failed to notice this camera that the movie then focused on. In such a high budget move I would expcet there to be a person who watches the movie before it's released and points out all the very noticalbe flaws.

It's always possible that the guy came like from 10 miles away where the storm didn't effect things, drove into the city, and was able to film. The movie shouldn't make people to make their own connections like that, so yeah, I guess you could call it a mistake.

i just saw it....it was actually pretty good besides everything already pointed out.....

also, how come when the emps happened in ukraine, why didnt anybody know about the tripods there??? i know everything electrical was out but i mean somehow word gets out...

99 Fishing

i just saw it....it was actually pretty good besides everything already pointed out.....

also, how come when the emps happened in ukraine, why didnt anybody know about the tripods there??? i know everything electrical was out but i mean somehow word gets out...

How would they send out about the tripods? Everything electrical is dead but yeah every film has errors in it and they always will do. You can sit there nit picking making the film as bad as possible or you can sit back and enjoy it. I thought was a very good film and Dakota Fanning being 11 years old is a damn good actor. I know at that age my drama consisted of running round, guns and jumping on chairs.

My theory is why they waited until now:

They wanted population to get big enough to massivly slay us and use us as fertilizer

What REALLY bugged me is when tom was running when the first tripod came outa the ground is he was the ONLY one alive after hundreds upon hundreds were gathered around it. Then when Rob, the F***ing annoying little girl who wouldnt shut the **** up the whole ****ing movie and tom were swimming when the ferry got flipped over and they were the only ones, once again, to escape the giant thingies.

Another valid point: THE GIRL WAS FU**ING ANNOYING. Seriously atleast half the movie she was screaming....i wonder if her vocal chords are all messed up now? i hope so so she can never scream again.

Yeah i agree the family being alive at the end was lame....And where did robbie go when he was by the military people? He went over the hill...gaint flames came...didnt come out...tom was the last one to leave....and yet he was a live.

:roll:

mcchrissigaw8.gif

Everybody lovin' it, but ain't no body touchin' it

is there anywhere i can get a list of tracks that in the film?

an ad in the uk had the main theme from 28 days later on it and i want to know if its in the film

OST. :wink: There you can see the songs that are on the OST.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

WARNING - possible spoilers. Hightlight my stuff if you have seen the movie. If not, I recommend watching it. :)

Just saw it today, I liked it a lot until they reached the last city and someone who was supposed to have died somehow survived and somehow made it safely to the same place, completely killing the purpose of feeling the loss, I also would have liked if the people had found out themselves why the aliens died, not just a narrator explaining the end.

I haven't read the book, but they could have also said something about why the world is being invaded by those red vines (besides how they came about to be which is explained in the movie).

In conclusion, movie was great till they reached the last city.

Well those red vines were really peoples blood since the aliens drink the humans.

WARNING - possible spoilers. Hightlight my stuff if you have seen the movie. If not, I recommend watching it. :)

Just saw it today, I liked it a lot until they reached the last city and someone who was supposed to have died somehow survived and somehow made it safely to the same place, completely killing the purpose of feeling the loss, I also would have liked if the people had found out themselves why the aliens died, not just a narrator explaining the end.

I haven't read the book, but they could have also said something about why the world is being invaded by those red vines (besides how they came about to be which is explained in the movie).

In conclusion, movie was great till they reached the last city.

Well those red vines were really peoples blood since the aliens drink the humans.

no, the vine was just fertilised by the blood, our blood fed it.