BabyPunchers' Guide to Range-Slaying

BabyPunchers

For those Cannoning task you multiplied the xp by 4 I think.

Eg. 360 spectre =/= 114k xp with cannon.

Thanks so much! I hadn't thought of that! Thanks before I did more cannon tasks. ::' Not sure how I'll re-calculate that though. Probably will just rephrase the cannon tasks to not give a specific number of monsters killed.

The exp rates will make this guide near perfect imo, such a useful addition to the guide.

Thanks you kindly. :) I"m hoping this'll be one of the biggest updates to this guide once I'm done. I'm not sure about it, but after I do the exp rates, I might put Chaeldar's tasks in here. Depends on what people think of that.

Edit:Greater Demon rates are done. Pretty decent.

In one hour, I can kill 127.471 Greater Demons, resulting in 44,360 Range Experience and 11,090 Slayer Experience per hour. Pretty decent, I didn't expect a lot more from a monster with only 87 hp. =/ This test was done at 99 Range, Potted, and potting back up at 104 Range.

Sorry I didn't do the new Fire Giants test. I had just remembered I was going to do that when I was already at Greater Demons. :o Going now. ::'

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have recommended a rcbow for all your tasks, wouldn't knives be better for those tasks with low defence? Also, chins are a good choice for Nechs if you're rich :twss: . Nice guide though, I love ranging and this guide will come in use.

EDIT: I prefer to cannon the suqahs at the top of the isle (the barraging ones) - the ones at the lower end drop no charms I believe, and the top ones are a lot quicker to complete.

imagangster.png

You have recommended a rcbow for all your tasks, wouldn't knives be better for those tasks with low defence? Also, chins are a good choice for Nechs if you're rich :twss: . Nice guide though, I love ranging and this guide will come in use.

Rune C bow is pretty much better for every task, including low defense ones. As they hit a lot harder. ::' And yup, a chinning nech guide will be added to them once I get there. Will cost a hell of a lot to get the exp rates though. -.- Thanks for the compliment on the guide. \'

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

I just went to Pollivneach Slayer Dungeon place and used the same exact place you did on Abberant Spectres and it was amazing!

198 Spectres task completed in under 40 minutes!

The best part, I used 1,000 cannonballs and gained 300k+ loot from the task which covers the price of the cannonballs and potions!

:thumbup:

Tested the Chaos Tunnel Fire giants. Believe it or not, I got slightly lower exp.

In one hour at the Chaos Tunnels Fire Giants, I can kill 107.53 Fire Giants per hour, resulting in 47,744 Range Experience and 11,936 Slayer Experience. I know it seems odd that they would lose to Waterfall Giants, but it's understandable why. In the Chaos Tunnels, you can only kill one giant on each side of you, the north and the south. The other giants in that area will do that damn moonwalk thing away from you. To attack these 2, you'll have to move to the opposite side each kill. That wouldn't be so bad but to get into attack zones of the giants you have to move quite a few steps in whatever direction you're trying to get to. The Chaos Tunnel Giants only lost by like 1k xp per hour anyway, so it's safe to say they're about the same. I just don't like moving around that much. So I'll stick to the waterfall. But if you're a bit lazy or just can't click that fast, the Chaos Tunnels are a nice alternative. ::'

just went to Pollivneach Slayer Dungeon place and used the same exact place you did on Abberant Spectres and it was amazing!

198 Spectres task completed in under 40 minutes!

The best part, I used 1,000 cannonballs and gained 300k+ loot from the task which covers the price of the cannonballs and potions!

Hawt is you. ;)

Edit:I'm off to play some Left 4 Dead.Keep posting please. Always nice to see one or two replies when I get back. <3:

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Wait, you were safespotting those fire giants?

I'd just engage them in close combat. You can attack them continuously then. Bring monkfish, and geyser titan, or a bunyip/unicorn.

It's quick banking (right next to GE) so Geyser would be best I guess.

EDIT: Strange, for me a bunyip was more than sufficient (If I recall it right). However, once I got 80 + summoning I used fighting familiars and some monkfish. (meleeing)

Wait, you were safespotting those fire giants?

I'd just engage them in close combat. You can attack them continuously then. Bring monkfish, and geyser titan, or a bunyip/unicorn.

It's quick banking (right next to GE) so Geyser would be best I guess.

EDIT: Strange, for me a bunyip was more than sufficient (If I recall it right). However, once I got 80 + summoning I used fighting familiars and some monkfish. (meleeing)

Whats your defense bonus? :o Everytime I try with a decent defense, I'm either struggling with a Bunyip or absolutely need a Unicorn. This is while meleeing. :o

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

I must admit it's been a looong time since I meleed there with a bunyip. I just remember that I brought one and thought, hey, he is sufficient, I might as well bring monks and a figher. But really, it's been too long to take this as 100% real info.

Anyway, a bunyip healing enough or not, A dfs, verac helm, drag boots and dhide (+ fury ofc) outfit + geyser titan and some monks cant be that much of a problem. Bring a glory so banking is like 1 min max.

But you might be right a bunyip wouldnt cut it.

Grr, if I were a member atm, Id go there right now to try it out. Stupid bank transaction that somehow didnt go through :(. (even though I have checked my account and the money is substracted. Might have put the wrong number or something :().

Well I think with a Dfs it would work, but without it, I can't see a way to do it with a Bunyip. And since a Dfs is about 15m, I don't think I'll add it in. :? I'll try Fire Giants out with Tanking Gear and a Geyser eventually, but I'm not itching to get back there haha.

Finished Hellhound rates by-the-bye.

In one hour, at the Taverly Dungeon Hellhounds, I can gain 76,436 Range Experience and 19,109 Slayer Experience. This is at 99 Range, Range Potting at 104 Range, and using a cannon for support. The reason that this exp rate is not exceptionally high but not average is because the Hellhound area is single combat, despite this, you can still attack quite a few Hells at once, just not as much as you would if it were Multi.

Edit:Also notice that I didn't say anything about how many are killed per hour. As nicrune pointed out, my math was wrong when it came to monsters killed with a cannon. It would take too much work figuring it out for not a lot of real benefit. The monsters killed per hour is more trivia than anything. Cannon tasks will be all in this format, not saying how many monsters are killed per hour. Other tasks will still have that bit of information though.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Amazing guide, you made a slaying range girl very happy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I range most of my slayer tasks, thanks to you I'll probably range all of them to get 99 range (and maybe after that, use range to get 99 slayer lol). 11/10, defo!

About the warped tortoises, I usually use this safe spot right at the entrance of the sewer dungeon:

2qs2tdh.jpg

As there are only two, it can be a horror to find a quiet world, especially at Sundays :( They're one of my favourite slayer tasks, great safe spot and close to a spirit tree so you can bank all your delicious tortoise shells and rune pickaxes really fast. Bit sad, once again, there are only 2.

ailsa_craig.png

Infernal Mages got done last night. Was just too tired to add it in. Funny Games was coming on. It's a sorta Horror movie. Horrible though. I don't reccomend it. Oh I'm also going to re-do the section now to reccomend fighting in the Chaos Tunnels with a familiar, it seems I had forgotten about that when I wrote that section. It'll be done now. ;)

In one hour at the Chaos Tunnels, I can kill 211 Infernal Mages, resulting in 50,640 Range Experience and 12,660 Slayer Experience. This test was conducted at 99 Range, Potting back up at 104 Range, and with a Geyser Titan. ::' Note that the maximum amount of Infernals you will get is 199 though.

Edit: Very nice spot Craig. :o Sadly I havn't done the quest to access those as I thought it was useless as you can't range them. If you like, you could write that section and I'll credit it fully to you. :) Just tell me what to wear for the pictures. If not, I fully understand and will get to that quest after I'm done with the exp rates.

Edit2:Iron Drags are done. <3: God I hate metals. You see what I do for you people?:P

In one hour, I can kill 43.554 Iron Dragons resulting in 30,140 Range Experience and 7,535 Slayer Experience. I have to admit, I expected less than this. Still, it's pretty bad experience. This test was conducted at 99 Range and potting back up at 104 Range.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Edit: Very nice spot Craig. :o Sadly I havn't done the quest to access those as I thought it was useless as you can't range them. If you like, you could write that section and I'll credit it fully to you. :) Just tell me what to wear for the pictures. If not, I fully understand and will get to that quest after I'm done with the exp rates.

I've just sent you a PM with all the juicy details ::'

ailsa_craig.png

[hide=Warped Tortoises]For a long time, I thought that there was no decent way to range these. I hadn't recieved any feedback on not providing a section for them since I started the guide. That changed when AilsaCraig posted and provided a pretty good safespot for them. ::' This entire section's information is directly credited to her and I thank her a lot. ::' Just tele to the Glouphrie slayer dungeon with a Spirit Tree and head into the nearby entrance.

fylk7n.png

There's no need for any defense as there is a decent safespot that is pretty easily found. The Warped Tortoises have weirdly low defense stats and a pretty fast spawn rate. So the fact that there are only two that you can safespot is made bearable by the spawn rate.

2m2xhmx.jpg

Basic safespot inventory coupled with a Crystal Chime, the item that is needed to "cleanse" and make the Warped Tortoise vulnerable to death.

Now it does seem boring having to use a Crystal Chime on each Tortoise you're going to attack, the good thing is that you don't have to actually be right next to it to "cleanse" it. Not sure if this is a glitch or was put there intentionally, either way, use this to your advantage and don't leave the safespot unless it's really needed. Remember that the Cleansing only lasts about a minute before you have to do it again, so either be quick or be wary of the Tortoise's color changing.

Warped Tortoises drop Rune Pickaxes and Tortoise Shells frequently. Tortoise Shells at the time of writing are a whopping 7,115 gp minimum, and these guys can drop up to 3 at a time! I highly reccomend picking them up and using the Spirit Tree outside to bank at the Grand Exchange.

Just climb the ladder near the entrance and safespot the two Tortoises there here.

20z7h9d.png

Once again, I thank AilsaCraig for the information presented here.[/hide]

Bam, ownage. :D New Warped Tortoise section. <3:

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Finished Kalphite rates, seems odd though.

In one hour, at the Kalphite Soldier room, I can gain 83,486 Range experience and 20,872 Slayer Experience. This seems a bit low for some reason though. At Aberrant Spectres I can get 111k Range Exp. That could just be because of the fact that there were more of them though. Hm, more testing will be done on this task eventually. This test was done at 99 Range, Potting back up at 104 Range, a Geyser Titan and a Cannon.

Finished Mithril Dragon rates. Good fun, grown to like killing those. :D

In one hour, I can kill 23.06 Mithril Dragons per hour, not including banking, which results in 23,434 Range Experience and 5,858 Slayer Experience. I can also kill about 12 Mithril Dragons per trip. Unicorns ftw. The low experience is to be expected, these things have massive defense in all categories, but that's what the special bolts are for. This test was conducted at 99 Range, potting back up at 104 range, and with a Unicorn.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Having slayed 99 ranged ill give my advice

Void wins over arma on almost every task.

Safe spotting slows down exp. i highly advise waiting until 99 defense, 88 summon before range slaying efficiently

Tank almost everything in your void (yes abyssals, gargoyles etc) use a zammy book over dfs. Dfs was never once needed. Tank nechs in arma

With a fury and zammy book +10 pray bonus is nice. Use it! pray 5% or 10% pray on your tasks(HUGE noticable increase in void!)

broad bolts with rune xbow on every task. Knives never passed the exp rates of broad bolts, and they have longer range. longer range means getting the crowded rooms monster first in some cases

An SGS will help nicely with your hp restore, and helps reduce the amount of ppots needed.

Repot range potion every 7 minutes. (7 levels)

Cannon and ranging together add up costs. Slower range kills = more cannonballs used. Id suggest meleeing cannoned tasks if you want to save more money (easily done if going for 99 slayer, not wasting any extra cash/exp)

Fire giants in brimhaven are by far the best place to fight them (127 cb+). I broke 60k range exp an hour on them in my void with broad bolts. with 5% pray only as well. just tank them with unicorn and sgs.

These tips mostly only apply to high level players, but its seriously worth waiting for these stats to range slay effectively.

ilovecardj.png

ilovecardj.png

Dragon Drops: 80+ boots, 7 med, 3 skirt, 2 left half, 2 Spear, 2 2h

Slayer: 30+ whips, 4 Bows, 1 Mask, 3 Granite Legs, 1 Visage (Wyverns)

Notable GWD Splits: Bandos Tassets: 12, Bandos Chest: 11, Bandos Hilt: 2

Proud Slayer of 99 Att/Str/Def/HP/Range/Summoning

Safe spotting slows down exp. i highly advise waiting until 99 defense, 88 summon before range slaying efficiently

The time you spend training 99 Defence and 88 Summoning could be used catching up on the exp you would of lost by safe spotting, if that makes sense.

Ah lotta tips. Lemme see ::'

Void wins over arma on almost every task.

Understandable, I addressed that early on in the guide. Not using Void is a personal opinion of mine and others should use it if they want to. I plan to add a small section on each task saying whether you can/should use void on each individual task. I haven't played Pest Control in almost 2 years, and I plan to keep it that way. Always seemed cheap to me, but that's personal opinion.

Agreed, but yet I don't want to cut down the target audience of my guide to a few thousand people. I want range slaying to be in the grasps of most of the people in Runescape. You can still get pretty decent exp without those skills too.

Tank almost everything in your void (yes abyssals, gargoyles etc) use a zammy book over dfs. Dfs was never once needed. Tank nechs in arma

I tank quite a few things, and safespot a few things. Mostly so this guide can be accessible to a lot more people. Ie Pures and lower levels. Safespotting isn't bad. As for Nechs, I think they hate me. Haha :lol: I can never get by meleeing with a bunyip, let alone ranging. :oops: I see many other people can though. I've got to try tanking them again. :x

With a fury and zammy book +10 pray bonus is nice. Use it! pray 5% or 10% pray on your tasks(HUGE noticable increase in void!)

I was thinking about adding this! I hadn't seen anyone ask for it in 10 pages though, so I assumed it was just inaccessible to the masses. I'll look into this, although I think it may get expensive.

broad bolts with rune xbow on every task. Knives never passed the exp rates of broad bolts, and they have longer range. longer range means getting the crowded rooms monster first in some cases

Agreed, that's what's used in every task on this guide. Well except for Mithril Dragons, where I reccomend better bolts. Them and Nechs, which as soon as I find a good setup, will have a section on Red Chins. \'

An SGS will help nicely with your hp restore, and helps reduce the amount of ppots needed.

I can see how that'd help but this guide is based on straight Range Slaying. Sorry. :-#

Repot range potion every 7 minutes. (7 levels)

Heh yes, that's what I've been told. As on now I repot every 8 Minutes. I don't see a huge difference, but I'll repot every 7 Minutes from now on.

Cannon and ranging together add up costs. Slower range kills = more cannonballs used. Id suggest meleeing cannoned tasks if you want to save more money (easily done if going for 99 slayer, not wasting any extra cash/exp)

Can you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand.

Fire giants in brimhaven are by far the best place to fight them (127 cb+). I broke 60k range exp an hour on them in my void with broad bolts. with 5% pray only as well. just tank them with unicorn and sgs.

This method has a vast amount of requirements and that's why I chose not to use this one. 127 Cb, a good defense level, 88 Summoning, and about 45m for an sgs.

These tips mostly only apply to high level players, but its seriously worth waiting for these stats to range slay effectively.

Yeah they are, which is why it's sad I can't do much with them. This guide is just aimed at a wider audience than that. :? Thanks for the tips though. ::'

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Nech rates are done. ::'

In one hour, I can kill 95.657 Nechraels, yielding 40,176 Range Experience and 10,044 Slayer Experience. Pretty average, but oh well. This test was conducted at 99 Range, and potting back up at 105 Range.

Epic banner Magicplayak! Thanks so much. <3:

Edit:Skeletal Wyvren Rates are done.

In one hour I can kill 38.41 Skeletal Wyvrens, giving me 31,350 Range Experience and 7,838 Slayer Experience. I'm pretty happy with these numbers as they're a fun task with decent drops. And, thankfully, after about 20 Minutes, they can be safespotted. ;) That makes this a task where you can gain a lot of profit(Draconic Visage) while paying little to no attention!

Edit2:Spiritual Mages are done. ::'

In one hour, I can kill 189.36 Spiritual Mages resulting in 55,296 Range Experience and 13,824 Slayer Experience. I'm quite happy with these results, as they can also give quite a decent profit. And thanks to their low defense, you can probably finish the task in under one hour. This test was conducted at 99 Range, potting up at 105 Range, and using a Geyser Titan for the first 20 minutes. After that, the mages wtfpwned him and I had forgotten to take another. Another ~2k Experience is what could be added if you have a Geyser summoned at all times.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Yeah some of them have quite hefty requirements I admit, maybe a little addition for higher leveled players to explore all options or something =] especially the fire giants.

About the cannon thing. This probly isnt applicable to your guide, as it seems as range only but heres the thing

Example: Abberant spectres

to melee these with a cannon it takes around 1000 cannonballs per task on average. To range and cannon at same time it would most likely run upwards of 1300-1600 cannon balls for the task as your killing them at a slower rate with range then melee. That makes the task take longer, making your cannon fire more cannonballs

If your going for 99 slayer, your going to exceed 99 in all skills melee and range anyways, so by doing a cannon/melee set up instead of cannon/range for these monsters you save yourself 60-90k in cannonballs a task, which can add up over 40-50 tasks.

That last part probly doesnt have a place in the guide, but its just overall what I think is most efficient with a cannon and the costs. If i save 60k a dag/abberant task 50 times, thats an extra 3m for me to have in the end. Definately a personal choice here

And I definately agree with the harder bolts for mithril dragons.

Ive never chinned nechs before, but it sounds like a feasable idea. That table "Safespot" in the tower is sooooo bad, this is the only alternative to tanking imo. But a dfs might be better then a zammy book in this situation.

About the 5%-10% prayers thing. With +10 pray bonus I would be using 4-6 prayer pots per task generally. This is however with an sgs (mostly hitting 5 restore, as max with void range and only fury for str bonus is like 38 i believe)5% was generally 1 ppot or none with that sgs. This is all with 70 prayer.

Im not sure how much damage increases with arma but I know with void that accuracy boost helps hit alot less 0s, and also higher numbers. Off of memory I was hitting 40s or 41s with 10% pray with broadbolts in void with a zammy book. and I think 38 with 5% pray or no pray. its been a little while. But the accuracy boost is definately handy. especially on things like gargoyles.

Without void, arma would give another +3 pray (+2 if no helm, but +6 with veracs) +16 pray boost with arma/verac should definately handle 10% pray boost easy. not sure the damage increase though, but it would probly hit around 35-36s? (with 98-99 range im guessing)

Hope im of some help =].

Another thing id just like to say, is msb fails so badly, even with broad arrows (I havent read the whole guide yet. but id like to add that if its not mentioned. Knives >>msb and broad bolts beat out knives.

ilovecardj.png

ilovecardj.png

Dragon Drops: 80+ boots, 7 med, 3 skirt, 2 left half, 2 Spear, 2 2h

Slayer: 30+ whips, 4 Bows, 1 Mask, 3 Granite Legs, 1 Visage (Wyverns)

Notable GWD Splits: Bandos Tassets: 12, Bandos Chest: 11, Bandos Hilt: 2

Proud Slayer of 99 Att/Str/Def/HP/Range/Summoning

Thanks for all the help cardj :) I think I will add a Prayer Potion section for the +10/+5% prayers. It'll be their choice to use it, althought I think you convinced me to do it XD. But for some people 4-5 Prayer pots a task drains out all the profit from slayer. To high leveled slayers that's not a problem though. I'll add a small section on that. No way in hell I'm doing all the exp rates again with prayer though haha. :-#

And yeah, msb fails. Which is really sad, I remember when it was one of the best things to train with. I trained with it myself till about 88 Range. :o Nowadays, it's just outdated. :?

Edit:Steel Drag rates are next, I'm loathing going over there though. -.- Rawr. Metals. But oh well, I'll go as soon as Swiftkit updates.\

Edit2:Got halfway through the test when I realised I was on the Long Range setting, making the test invalid. Time to start again. -.- I did get a Dragon Platelegs drop 4 kills in though. ::'

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

What kind of mages did you kill?Zamorak or Saradomin?I range the Sara ones myself, near the middle of the dungeon,while having a zamorak item on me.

I should've made that more clear. I kill the Zamorak ones since I get more exp that way. The sara ones are faster kills, yes, but this guide is made to get Slayer and Ranged exp. With the Sara ones, there's usually something else attacking it, resulting in less exp on both sides.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.