BabyPunchers' Guide to Range-Slaying

BabyPunchers

Dang. I really did like this guide.

And for scarabite slayer tasks, in the swamp east of Sophanem, just where the scarabites are you can go across a river and range them from there. It's not the best of safes due to low amounts there, and un-ava'able spots, but its better than getting hit all the time.

They sometimes drop well o.o

I dont need a siggy no moar.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since I really don't want all the hard work to go to waste, I've decided that I'll take a day-3 days out of the week and set it aside for this guide. Starting today. First thing on the agenda is a Troll Section, which I can't believe I forgot to add in. This section will detail both tanking on the Plateu with a cannon(it's multi there I believe. May be wrong but I'll check later.) and safespotting the Generals.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

From what I know, the generals respawn very slow(I believe the resp rates were nerfed).You'd be better off with Death Plateau spot.Have you considered cannoning on Neitiznot or killing runts in Jatiszo mines?

Ah the Jatiszo mines. How could I have forgotten :D . I have fond memories of ranging my troll tasks there. Those will be added too. But I just hope I remember how to kill those.

And yeah, I realise the Generals respawn pretty slowly. But there are I think 3 spawns in the actualy Stronghold that can be an okay spot to range them. I will mention their respawn rates in the section though.

One other thing I'm adding at the same time will be a comparison of ranged weaponry for each task, as well as a general overview of them. Expect an update in maybe 2 days?

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

yea weapon comparison would be nice, and aromor, because on metal drags armadyl would of course be better but on fire giants maybe void, aspecialy when no def is needed, and some a rune c bow is obvious choice and on some low def things something such as steel knives would work better

a_final_name.png

Added a "General Comparison of Ranged Weapons" section. \' Working on Troll section now. And will do an individual comparison of possible weapons to use on each monster eventually.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Uhm.....*wonders how to start*

Great guide, nice how you mention which spots are better for ranging each individual slayer monster. Almost enough to incline me to stop meleeing everything that comes up for slayer. (Almost is impressive enough :shock: )

Really trying to think of something constructive to say, but all I can think of is the possible use of super defs for a select few tasks e.g. dagganoths, mith drags, scabarites, the vicious version of the cave crawlers, and maybe perhaps turoths, especially if your lacking on the defence side of things. :roll:

Decided I've probably said enough to get away with keeping promise to post. :D

P.S. Too everyone else, I was blackmailed into making this post.

*Runs away*

*Runs back for edit*

Only just noticed, 2 posts since August 2006! Played for year before that though. :shock:

Permission to feel special.

*Runs away again*

Ha well thank ya emearh. <3:

Slight thing here.. while in the proccess of making a comparison for ranged weaponry for each task, I've seen that it becomes very redundant. They all basically say that you can use a Crystal Bow and sometimes Knives on each task. Since most other ranged weapons are outshined in performance by the Rune Crossbow(bar the Knives and Crystal Bow), and I don't feel like writing almost the same information 40 times, I decided not to add in that part. Sorry, but it really was quite redundant.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Very good guide. I'm struggling keeping my range xp equal with my melee xp with just cannoning, so I'm probably going to use it sooner or later.

Only one minor addition about an awesome spot for scarabits (from 22-23-241-57359284):

Thanks to 1 B L 0 O D for supplying some of the information in this section, including the cannon spot for the "Safe" method.

Amount assigned: Duradel, 40-79?; Sumona, 30-59?

Hitpoints: 90 (Melee), 100 (Range), 50 (Mage)

Approximate charm drop percentages-

Gold: 8%

Green: 3%

Crimson: 27%

Blue: 2%

Summoning to Slayer xp: 1.30 to 1.72

Contrary to popular belief, Scabarites are absolutely worth doing and are one of the best tasks you can be assigned, in my opinion. If I could have any task of 10,000 monsters, I would hesitate to take Abyssal Demons or Bloodvelds over Scabarites. Scabarites are fast slayer xp, even if you use the safer method (see below), and drop tons of crimson charms.

There are two methods I would like to mention: One is a fairly safe method that gives fast slayer xp and fast crimson charms, and the other is a dangerous method that gives insanely fast slayer xp and faster crimson charms than Waterfiends.

Both of these methods involve cannon and melee in the dungeon under Sophanem. The Scabarites near the swamp do not drop charms, so are not worth it to kill. When you get a task of Scabarites, use a Pharaoh's sceptre to teleport to Pyramid Plunder (top option on the sceptre) and bank at the bank in Sophanem.

1. "Safe" Method

For the "Safe" method, I suggest praying Protect from Melee, since only the Locust Riders will be attacking you, but they would hit hard enough and frequently enough to require a lot of healing, even in addition to the cooked bass that is dropped! I do not suggest using Piety for this method since your cannon does much of the work, the Locust Riders can only walk up to you at a limited speed, and you do not need the +25% defence bonus.

Use the typical melee equipment with a Proselyte plate and legs.

Suggested inventory-

A teleport

Dragon dagger(p++)

Holy wrench

Tinderbox

Bullseye lantern (lit)

1 energy potion

Cannon and Cannonballs

2 super attacks or Zamorak brews

2 super strength

4-7 prayer pots

Food in extra space

(Familiar: Combat familiar)

Once ready, go down the ladder from the bank. Run west, avoiding/disabling the [bleep]e traps, and go down the ladder. Turn on Protect from Magic, then run south a few steps, then run northwest until you reach another ladder, and go up it. Go south avoiding wall traps, pitfalls, and pushers, and go down the ladder.

If you fall in a pit, then you will appear in the room you need to be in. If that happens, just run south.

Set up your cannon one square west and five squares north of the ladder and stand one square west of cannon base. Notice that only melee locusts will attack you because you are south of the "roaming" range of the mages. Therefore, your cannon will kill rangers and mages far out in the room, but they will not attack you. Only go north into the range of the Scarab Mages if you see good drops like crimson charms, since they can hit hard and also extinguish your lantern (that's what the tinderbox is for).

Although the Scabarites in this location may seem hard to get too, it actually can take under two minutes to get from Sophanem bank to the correct location. Once I knew the correct path, I was able to get from the bank screen in Sophanem to the correct location, with my cannon set up, in 105 seconds.

With maxed stats, about 350 kills (31.5k slayer xp) can be gotten per hour with this method.

2. Dangerous Method

If you've tried the method I just described, you may noticed that you're just kind of hiding near the edge of the room. It works well, but you can get much faster xp by setting up your cannon in the middle of the room.

Wear the typical melee equipment with a high-melee defence top, bottom, and shield, such as Bandos and a Dragonfire shield.

Suggested inventory-

A teleport

Dragon dagger(p++) or Saradomin Godsword

Holy wrench

Lantern

Tinderbox

Cannon and Cannonballs

1 super set

3-6 prayer pots

High-healing food in extra space.

(Familiar: Beast of Burden with extra food or a Healer. You WILL get hit a lot here)

Go to the same location, but set up your cannon 7 squares south and 1 square west of the northern ladder. Pray Protect from Range and Piety. Even though Piety won't help you kill the Scabarites much faster, you need the +25% defence bonus.

With maxed stats, about 60k slayer xp can be gotten per hour, although you can't really last an hour there without going to get more food, lol. But tasks will only last about 6 minutes.

I usually get about 15+ crimson charms during a 6 minute task, making these extremely fast crimson charms. It could be possible to camp here as an alternative to Waterfiends or Rock Lobsters. With a Unicorn and Saradomin Godsword hopefully you could last a while.

Keep in mind that this IS the "Dangerous" method. I'd suggest having a 5 minute grave and an extra charged Pharaoh's Sceptre banked, just in case.

Dangerous method is very hectic though, I don't like it.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

a good idea is too use gwd over plane for gorak tasks

i found that it is easier to safespot and sometimes you get help :D

This idea isn't very good.Few respawns, which turns your task into a living hell.Why waste 1h for a task when you can complete it in a lot less time?

Okay Ray I'll check. But i'm playing Stealing Creation atm so I might not reply for a while. <3:

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Ha well thank ya emearh. <3:

Slight thing here.. while in the proccess of making a comparison for ranged weaponry for each task, I've seen that it becomes very redundant. They all basically say that you can use a Crystal Bow and sometimes Knives on each task. Since most other ranged weapons are outshined in performance by the Rune Crossbow(bar the Knives and Crystal Bow), and I don't feel like writing almost the same information 40 times, I decided not to add in that part. Sorry, but it really was quite redundant.

Just add a section that says which is better and why, and the lit of tasks which it is better for.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Very nice guide. I especially love the focus that it took on ranging and the armours. One suggestion that I would say is to replace the verac skirt with dragonfire or other shield in many cases (greater demons being one example). I have found that having a high defence sheild works better as the skirt gives more range bonus then you would have with unholy book and v skirt and I don't need to bank for food with bunyip.

Also- waterfiends are safespottable with range if you want to and they are very week to range (although crush works better) so you can range them and pray like w/ normal melle.

Getting another sig

[removed]

When youre a Ranger, everything isnt as black and white as it is when you are a Meleer. Meleers have the whip, which is basically the best all around weapon in the game. Us Rangers have a multitude of weapons. Now this means that we do not have a whip-like weapon, but we do have a large variety of almost equal weaponry. When youre good at everything, youre the best in nothing. is a quote that comes to mind.

The Rune Crossbow: This is probably the best ranged weapon imo and will be used almost religiously in this guide. This weapon has the option of having enchanted bolts, ranging from armor penetration to dragonfire, and has some rather cheap bolts that can hit past 30. Those are broad bolts. I dont personally like this weapon. I much prefer the traditional Magic Shortbow... but sadly this is just better in every way. Last part is definetely unneeded, unless there is a logical reason.

Magic Shortbow: This was long regarded as the best Range training weapon. You could go to the Fire Giants in the Waterfall and see five shortbows at a time. But with the updates to the Crossbows, theyve fallen into disuse and rightfully so. Rune Crossbows destroy these things in every way possible. They have more range attack, more variety with ammo, you can use a shield, and they hit harder, which makes up for their loss of speed. I dont recommend using this weapon, even if youre doing it to be cheap. Broad bolts for a Rune Crossbow are pretty cheap themselves and are a lot better. Pretty sad, considering this is my favorite weapon. Well, I guess you can keep the last part, as it doesn't sound as 'convincing' as the one above. But there isn't the need for repeat an opinion twice, when it goes against fact.

Knives: Knives are some of the fastest weapons around, next to Darts. Knives come in metals up to Rune, but the ones used for training are usually Mithril or below. Knives hit fast and decently hard on most monsters. But they do lack the Range attack to fully penetrate some monsters defenses, like Troll Generals. An upside to Knives is that they ,like Rune Crossbows, have the ability to let you wield a Shield with them. Might want to mention that Bronze is the best cost wise, and stress that these are better against lower defense monsters.

Darts: Darts are the fastest weapons in the game, and damn, they hit fast. Of course, this also means that they hit pretty slowly. Usually these weapons are out-performed by Knives. As the share the some characteristics with Knives, (i.e. the fast attack, appearance, and ability to wield a shield) they are a decent weapon to train with. But the Knives are just the better choice in pretty much any case. These weapons have a pathetically low range attack, which means that you wont hit that often anyway. Couple that with their low max hit and you have a weapon thats outshined by Knives. Dart speed = Knive speed. Darts are useless.

Crystal Bow: The Crystal Bow is a great weapon, if you use it correctly. This means using the Crystal Bow Trick. Now this trick means you have to have 2 Crystal Bows and switch them out periodically. Basically you fire 249 shots with one bow and then fire the 250th shot with the second bow. This will result in the second bow getting degraded and keeping your first at 10/10 and therefore, +100 range bonus. Now this bow has the great little effect of not being able to pick up your arrows. Of course, this is both good and bad. The good part of it is that its great if you want to range in your Skillcape, which I see a lot of people wanting. Its also good for tasks like Abyssal Demons, where your arrows would be scattered around. The disadvantage is obvious, meaning that you cant re-use your ammo. This bow also comes at a cost, 900k per 2,500 shots, but it works down to 180k per 2.5k shots depending on how many times you recharge it. Might want to mention using a timer, it is the best way to track shots.

Chinchompas: Yes, the infamous flying rodents of furry destruction. These little squirrel-things will probably only be used on one task, that being Nechraels, but I thought Id put it in anyway. Chinchompas are a really expensive way to train range, but theyre very good at doing that. In some places, you can get up to 200k experience per hour! Of course this comes at a price... Red Chinchompas are about 648 each at the time of writing. Still, this seems like a good choice if you have the money, as they are only a viable option on one task.

There are two weapons that Ive left out here. Those are Throwing Axes and Javelins. These weapons are quite possible the worst possible things to train range with. I would rather train with a Training bow than Adamantite Javelins. Dont ever use these when training range, slayer or not. You missed alot more than those 2. Seercull, Dark bows, Hunter X Bows are all commonly used weapons, and there is alot I must have missed. You might want to especially stress how weak Dark bows are.

inuyashakent-2.png

@Kent, fyi one time darts were much faster than knives and since Robin (sorta obviously) doesnt use/like them I wouldnt say he would have known.

Also, I never see someone with a Hunter C'bow, although I do know they're great for speed in comparison to the rune c'bow, although their bolts cost ~60gp and ~130gp. And with the speed and the cost of the bolts, Rune c'bow and broad bolts win.

And for the seercull, useless in slayer.

Dark bow is only good for its specials. But un-needed if tanking.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

@Kent, fyi one time darts were much faster than knives and since Robin (sorta obviously) doesnt use/like them I wouldnt say he would have known.

Also, I never see someone with a Hunter C'bow, although I do know they're great for speed in comparison to the rune c'bow, although their bolts cost ~60gp and ~130gp. And with the speed and the cost of the bolts, Rune c'bow and broad bolts win.

And for the seercull, useless in slayer.

Dark bow is only good for its specials. But un-needed if tanking.

Which is all the more reason to mention them and say they're useless. I've seen plenty of people with those bows, too. And I was just pointing out a mistake, I didn't call him an idiot. :XD:

inuyashakent-2.png

Back from my mini vacation to Stealing Creation(ooh rhyming).

Seercull, Hunter's Xbow, and Dark Bows are all pretty useless for slayer. But I think I should add a section that says that. Ty. <3:

And are you sure dart speed=knive speed? I could've sworn darts were faster.. hm.

I'll add everything else you said Kent and check my pms now, Ray. :P

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Yes I know that. The question was more my own education. ::'

Going to try to fix the General Weaponry section before I go to school, might now happen though. As that's in 10 minutes.

And I have the Mountain troll guide done. But I need to figure out how to put a hide in a hide before I start on writing the Generals and Ice trolls sections. It's a little OCD thing ihave. I'll probably edit in the Mountain Troll guide today.

Edit: Oh and creditied Kent and Ray on the bottom of the guide, along with a link to Ray's guide. :thumbup:

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.