Marijuana, why isn't it legalized?

aeternitatis

Marijuana, or weed, dope, mary jane, whatever, is obviously against the law in many countries, but why?

I'm not asking this question because I support/smoke it everyday, I'm asking because I see more good reasons than wrong ones on the subject. If it were legal, the government would be able to tax it, and pay less money for anti-marijuana programs and jail time for people that were caught with it. It isn't much worse than cigarettes, yet those are legal. Dope dealers make a killing these days and provoke a lot of violence and drug related deaths. If it was legal, that number would drop drastically.

What do you think?

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say do some research on it. It's obvious that there's no reason for it to be illegal, but for some reason it doesn't look like the law will be changed anytime soon. I haven't ever done extensive research, but I've seen some theories as to why it's illegal.

Oh, and I'm fairly certain that thus far, marijuana's actually been found to be better for you than cigs (not good for you, better for you).

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

I think the fact it's illegal, means people have to buy it in private from shady drug dealers.

And the drug dealers can lace the marijuana with other things, and easily push harder stuff onto you. If it WAS legalized, then it would severely weaken the crime industry (In the UK atleast, from official police statistics atleast 70% of weaker cases of crime is drug related.) Anyway, I personally think it's like solvents. Can be abused by idiots, but if you know what you're doing, don't let it severely influence your life and don't [bleep] up, it's fine to use.

...or at minimum should be legalized by prescription use for its medicinal properties.

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

Yeah, pretty much correct.

Barack Obama, the senatorial candidate of 2004, might have a bone to pick with Barack Obama, the presidential candidate of 2008.

Videotapes of debates and speeches that were obtained by The Washington Times show that Mr. Obama took positions during his Senate campaign on nearly a half-dozen issues ranging from the Cuba embargo to health care for illegal aliens that conflict with statements that he has made during his run for the White House.

For example, in MSNBCs Oct. 30 presidential debate, Mr. Obama hesitantly raised his hand and joined with most of his Democratic rivals to declare he opposed decriminalizing marijuana. (See clip below.)

But as a U.S. Senate candidate, Mr. Obama told Illinois college students in January 2004 he supported eliminating criminal penalties for marijuana use or possession, a debate video shows.

I think we need to rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws, Mr. Obama said during a debate at Northwestern University. But Im not somebody who believes in legalization of marijuana.(See clip below.)

When confronted with the statements on the video, Obamas campaign offered two explanations to The Times in less than 24 hours. At first, Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said the candidate had always supported decriminalizing marijuana, suggesting that his 2004 statement was correct. Then after The Times posted copies of the video on its Web site, http://www.washingtontimes.com, yesterday, his campaign reversed course and declared he does not support eliminating criminal penalties for marijuana possession and use.

Assuming Obama cant tell when he is lifting up his arm to vote (green Yes voting buttons and red No voting buttons also confuse Obama), why did he not bother to clarify his position the day after the debate? Who is this guy?

Source(s):

http://www.hillaryis44.com/

There's a post from Yahoo! Answers which basically says Obama has said yes, and no to legalization of marijuana.

I came to the conclusion years ago that these drug laws are not here for our safety as the politicians would like us to believe.

Reasons why marijuana should be legal:

1. The "potency argument" is an argument for keeping weed illegal, which says that because strains are more potent today, it poses a more significant health risk. Not only is this [cabbage], but it is deliberately designed to create fear and force public opinion against legalisation. With alcohol, in a regulated market you know how strong the drink you are buying is and therefore adjust how much you take accordingly. When they force us to buy weed off the street, we have no idea how strong it is. So we smoke the same amount every time and we cannot regulate how high we get. If it is legalised, this doesn't happen.

2. The media often reports that weed is being laced with harder drugs and should therefore be illegal. First of all, weed is RARELY laced with harder drugs as most of the time those harder drugs are more expensive than the weed. Sometimes it happens, granted. In a regulated market though, it doesn't.

3. Drug dealers push harder drugs onto buyers therefore making them more likely to try them and get addicted to stuff that will ACTUALLY mess them up.

4. Legalising weed would free up prison space greatly which would save [cabbage]loads of money. As well as this money that went towards prosecuting weed users can actually go towards more beneficial things. Also, police can spend their time on more important issues instead.

5. Punishing people for using weed is just ridiculous and it RUINS LIVES. Sure, people know the penalties before they take it, but that's still stupid because if a law came in that said everyone who j-walked would get their brains blown out by a firing squad, and that happened, you wouldn't say "oh, well they knew the rules." Just because the laws are there does not mean they're right. People can lose jobs etc, and due to the fact that weed is stigmatised in society as being "bad" (which is caused by it being illegal) it makes it harder for people to get on with their lives etc simply because they smoked a little bud.

6. Legalising and taxing weed would obviously raise a lot of cash.

I haven't even covered the fact that you should be allowed to do whatever you want to your own body as long as it does not impose on the freedoms of others (yes this means I support legalisation of every drug, but this is irrelevant here). Realistically, weed isn't half as dangerous as the government pretends - I'm not saying that there aren't any dangers to it, of course there are, but there are dangers to every drug (alcohol anyone?). Making weed illegal causes more problems than it aims to solve, takes up too much money, and punishes people who are otherwise, most of the time, law abiding citizens.

Hey.

I think it's because the medicine-industry got a hold on many politicians. They earn so damn much cash, and don't want it seen legalized. Weed could be replaced for many current medicines... =The industry would loose cash because it would be cheaper and you get rid of all those side-effects, also... As you can grow it at home for quite a low cost, you'd save so much cash compared to buying all those pills.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I'm curious to see how Obama's years in office will affect the movement for marijuana law reform.

I think by the end of his time in office it will be:

Medical marijuana legal everywhere in the US

Some states voting to decriminalize

A large, significant movement for legalisation.

I would hope for full legalisation but I don't think it will happen within the next 10 years. I think it will, just it takes a lot of time to change the zeitgeist..

EDIT: Is my avatar visible? On my screen I can't see it.

Hey.

As an extreme leftist libetarian, im for legalization of weed.

Seriously governments should stop being such social authoritarians. Let us have control over our own bodies, and heck as stated over, it isnt as bad as the other more potent drugs.

panda_blue_signature.png

6_100_rc.png

decriminalize =D> =D>

and you know howmuch this country makes off of busting the 100+ pound marijuana distributors? busting dealers alone is a million/billion dollar a year business.. i bet they'd like to keep that money..

and no your avy isnt visible

Maybe they make a billion dollars a year, that's cool. But it's costing us, the tax payers, over $26 billion/year to house people arrested on marijuana charges in our jails and prisons. I think we should be using our jail/prison space for real criminals.

I will say I support legalization, but I think we should take it slow and decriminalize first and make the transition slowly.

There's a few people I know who use weed. Indeed, I was asked to come out once to give one of them first aid. They'd fallen over and smashed their head on a rock. Not having any equipment, I said the best place for them was the hospital. He was bleeding and it needed patching up, but none of them would take him through fear of being questioned by the police.

If legalising encourages people to get the help they need, I'm for it. I really couldn't care less about how immoral or stupid taking substances is. What's important is that people are safe.

I think it's because the medicine-industry got a hold on many politicians. They earn so damn much cash, and don't want it seen legalized. Weed could be replaced for many current medicines... =The industry would loose cash because it would be cheaper and you get rid of all those side-effects, also... As you can grow it at home for quite a low cost, you'd save so much cash compared to buying all those pills.

Not to attack you personally, but why do some people treat marijuana as some miraculous cure or medicine? Or is it just a "fight the power, man" type of argument?

Not to attack you personally, but why do some people treat marijuana as some miraculous cure or medicine? Or is it just a "fight the power, man" type of argument?

I see what you're saying, but what he says has a core of truth.

Marijuana has been shown to be effective for hundreds of different ailments.

It IS used as medicine by thousands of people, hence "medical marijuana." I asked my GP about weed and even they said that they thought it could be used on people who weren't responsive to other medications (which isn't that uncommon to be honest).

It isn't a miracle cure, but medicine, yes.

Hey.

I see what you're saying, but what he says has a core of truth.

Marijuana has been shown to be effective for hundreds of different ailments.

It IS used as medicine by thousands of people, hence "medical marijuana." I asked my GP about weed and even they said that they thought it could be used on people who weren't responsive to other medications (which isn't that uncommon to be honest).

It isn't a miracle cure, but medicine, yes.

What does it treat?

IMO it's merely down to the government doing what the citizens want, it seems mostly people in the 35+ area aren't fully aware of the drug and it's side effects / negatives, which are actually very little and even less dangerous than alcohol. It's down to what's socially acceptable and the government going along with it.

I'd be all up for legalizing Marijuana, governments would spend less money on stopping it coming into the country, they could tax what is legally sold increasing VAT intakes. The only problem is it would put more strain on healthcare but with the money the government would save / earn from legalizing it I think it would cover the expenses.

Governments could make it legal for health reasons (I.E non [bleep]ed marijuana) that only they themselves can legally import and sell marijuana from other governments. Any marijuana they seize from illegal drug dealers they could confiscate, test for safety in smoking use and then if clean they can sell it on themselves further reducing costs and increasing government profit / income.

Physically it's non addictive, marijuana itself doesn't lead to cancer, the tobacco people mix it with does and it doesn't lead to many major diseases other than schizophrenia. When compared to say the negative effects of alcohol, it's amazing to think how it hasn't been legalized.

The whole world needs to legalize ganja. I smoke nearly everday, My grades are fine. I tend to do stupid and lawbreaking acts, but's thats just how I am. Weed easies my mind or cures my headache or if i'm just feeling down. There's absolutely no reason why marijuana is illegal other than the fact our government is a bunch of [wagon].

DaBulls.jpg

The whole world needs to legalize ganja. I smoke nearly everday, My grades are fine. I tend to do stupid and lawbreaking acts, but's thats just how I am. Weed easies my mind or cures my headache or if i'm just feeling down. There's absolutely no reason why marijuana is illegal other than the fact our government is a bunch of [wagon].

I believe that within the next 10 to 15 years we'll see this becoming true. It'll help control the substance, more then anything. I'd be happy if the whole country just adopted California's regulations on medical marijuana. Its suck a highly popular drug that I would compare its use to the use of alcohol. With the proper regulations its fine.

article on california's regulations

tFtfA.jpg