Christmas Controversies

DragnFly

Christmas is a Christian festival, that's why it's Christmas. Luckily most of us in the UK haven't forgotten this.

lol?

How many people attend the midnight Eucharist, or follow advent without the need for 24 bits of chocolate to help them count?

You don't have to be a practising Christian to know that Christmas is a Christian religious festival. Neither do you need to be religious.

Come on, get real. The majority of people celebrating Christmas in the UK (perhaps not in America, given it's significantly more Christian) couldn't give a flying [bleep] about Jesus.

I respect those who keep to its original meaning, but Christmas for the majority these days is nothing more than a national holiday, with a chance for retailers to rake in the profits.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I don't agree with the Democracy sentiments on this thread. Just because the minority is small, does not mean that their voices should be silenced by the mob-majority (the problem with Democracy).

At the same time, however, I think it's ridiculous to sue anyone over any of this, or fire an employee for wishing someone a "Merry Christmas".

I don't think anyone is calling for them to be silenced, only for the majority to be heard. Everyone has a right to have their say in a democractic society, but we need some perspective and equality in that process. If one person complains about christmas lights and the public display of a nativity scene out of thousands that go to see it, I'm sorry, that one person is going to have to put up with it.

Christmas is a Christian festival, that's why it's Christmas. Luckily most of us in the UK haven't forgotten this.

lol?

How many people attend the midnight Eucharist, or follow advent without the need for 24 bits of chocolate to help them count?

You don't have to be a practising Christian to know that Christmas is a Christian religious festival. Neither do you need to be religious.

Come on, get real. The majority of people celebrating Christmas in the UK (perhaps not in America, given it's significantly more Christian) couldn't give a flying [bleep] about Jesus.

I respect those who keep to its original meaning, but Christmas for the majority these days is nothing more than a national holiday, with a chance for retailers to rake in the profits.

That would be because those people decided to keep the holiday even though they were no longer Christian, or because most other people are celebrating it. If you want to complain about a religious celebration then don't celebrate it!

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Couldn't agree more. What's ironic is I personally know muslims living in Europe and US, who buy their kids presents for christmas, even those chocolate calendars that you open window-by-window daily until it hits 24.

It's nothing more than a cultural holiday phenomenon for most people. Even many atheists do buy and recieve christmas presents.

You know what would be great? If people actually researched into why this happens. Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus being born. Theological and biblical scholars usually place his actual date of birth somewhere near October and September: [1]

The origins of winter celebrations are pagan, all the way from the norse traditions of celebrating Yule by slaughtering a festive ham, to other, southern natives cutting a tree and decorating it. It has nothing to do with the persona of Jesus.

I have no problems with a store choosing to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas in order make not people feel left out. I also have no problem with a store choosing to say Merry Christmas even if someone gets offended because of it. You don't own the damn store, let them say what they want.

Anyways I am agnostic but I still celebrate Christmas as a consumer, and then only because of family obligations.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

You know what would be great? If people actually researched into why this happens. Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus being born. Theological and biblical scholars usually place his actual date of birth somewhere near October and September: [1]

The origins of winter celebrations are pagan, all the way from the norse traditions of celebrating Yule by slaughtering a festive ham, to other, southern natives cutting a tree and decorating it. It has nothing to do with the persona of Jesus.

I always read that Christ was born in March. I believe it says so in the New Testament.

The origin of next to everything, religious or not, started out with primitive (or for religion, pagan) beginnings. The actual day was the day of an Egyptian sun festival.

^_^

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

lol?

I attend Eucharist even though I'm atheist. My whole family's Christian except for me, but I would still go even if they didn't. Religion used to be a big part of my life, and I think that it comforts me, even if I don't think it's totally rational.

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

earthysun--that was an oddly awesome statement dont know how to describe how I feel about it

just my opinion

Christmas isnt that much of a religious holiday anymore, at least relative to what it used to be. I can understand plenty of people thinking its silly or whatever but I cant see how anyone can find it offensive. If your actually offended by someone wishing you well then I think you need to look at yourself because you most likely have some problems

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I vote we change Happy Holidays into Happy Christmahaunakwanzakah. I should take that up with Congress... yeah..

... isn't that off Lizzie McGuire?

Erm, not that I watch it or anything, my extremely... er, muscular ears (like the rest of my body) picked it up while I was busy wrestling bears and sharks in a pit of snakes.

What. A. Save.

OT - I really don't care what they wish me, or what I wish them. Happy Christmas' all round!

What? NO! I got it from a Virgin Mobile commercial a couple of years ago

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

About 5 years ago 99% of these cases are simply newspapers with slow news days making up rubbish, honestly, not just incorrectly reporting stuff, but just out and out lies, to sell to people who enjoy getting up in arms at stuff.

As a result councils get worried and so follow along with the trend believing that there actually are people out there who care, meanwhile other people seeing that they might be able to get away with this sort of behaviour and believing they have a right and a reason to be offended by christmas start complaining and five years down the line we are where we are today and people actually now are complaining and getting up in arms about it.

And no the papers can report these 'real' stories with impunity.

Learn the lesson, dont believe everything you read in papers (or they'll come true).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDkjIZRl4a0

I love this video XD

Seriously, just watch it. It fits so perfectly.

It does fit perfectly,

But On Topic, wouldn't gays/muslims/jews/hindus/black people/whatever just be offended because they get special treatment? They are just like everyone else, and the govermnent seems to think they need special treatment because of that.... #-o

Headshotcatcher.png

About 5 years ago 99% of these cases are simply newspapers with slow news days making up rubbish, honestly, not just incorrectly reporting stuff, but just out and out lies, to sell to people who enjoy getting up in arms at stuff.

As a result councils get worried and so follow along with the trend believing that there actually are people out there who care, meanwhile other people seeing that they might be able to get away with this sort of behaviour and believing they have a right and a reason to be offended by christmas start complaining and five years down the line we are where we are today and people actually now are complaining and getting up in arms about it.

And no the papers can report these 'real' stories with impunity.

Learn the lesson, dont believe everything you read in papers (or they'll come true).

I don't agree with that at all to be honest. I don't believe this country's on the road to being an Islamic state or any of that crap, but if anything, the media is almost always against multiculturalism, not for it. The media knows full well that playing on conservative nationalist feeling will sell more papers than lecturing everyone on how Christmas is 'offensive' to non-Christians.

The problems lies in the movement for equality. For some strange, silly reason, some people in that movement seem to think that removing Christmas will reduce the level of offence to Muslims, so promoting equality and restoring social harmony. This is despite the fact most Muslims couldn't care less - they respect this is officially a Christian country and Anglican holidays are national holidays by default.

They're just idiots who think they need to protect people who don't need protecting.

Happy Festivus.

Festivus-A Festivus for the rest'uv us.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

--------- isn't really all that --------- no more, its just about having a ------- :P

Well, it isn't for hardcore --------- people but w/e.

I censored your post. You're going to offend someone.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Even if I didn't celebrate Christmas (I do.), I would still appreciate it because everybody acts nicer to each other. I don't care if I'm not celebrating their holiday.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

Wow! Lmao!! :wall:

Some people are just ridiculous. I'm not a christian and where I'm born they don't celebrate christmas or have trees but since my family came to Sweden we have had a tree and we celebrate the new year as you celebrate christmas, gifts and food and all.

The tree and the gifts are just for fun. There is nothing symbolic about them, only for tradition and fun for the younger people.

Christmas/New Years eve are like birthdays for everyone.

Solution: attend and celebration any religious or otherwise festival you can get your hands on :D

Whilst Christmas and Easter will always be the usual for me, I will quite happily head along to a Diwali ball, Catholic Confirmation, or most religious festivals you care to name - you don't need the religion to enjoy and almost all the people there don't care at all that you aren't Islamic/Hindu/Christian, at least in my experience.

Also, all the media fluff is insignificant press-waffle; the UK at least isn't approaching a situation where you can't celebrate what you want, and hopefully never will. If stores and councils choose not to deck their halls with apparel (of any kind) then that's their choice, its not like they have to.

I would just like to say: I LOVE HINDU FESTIVAL THINGS. They're awesome. C'mon, Christians. We need more huge paper mache depictions of Jesus. And spraypaint.

I don't know enough to say anything about Islamic festivals, though. Most I know of is Ramadan, and that doesn't sound fun at all.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

How about...

Happy Chrismakkukazaa.

Christmas. Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.

Everybody is happy.

And a Happy Chrismakkuhazaa to you.

/slap! NO! that fails in comparison to Happy Chrismahaunakwanzakah, there's even a song for it!

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

OK. I found what Kwanzaa was.

"Kwanzaa is a week-long holiday celebrated throughout the world, honoring African heritage, marked by participants lighting a kinara (candle holder).[1] It is observed from December 26 to January 1 each year."

So this year, start celebrating Hanukkah at the 22nd which is eight days (Brings you too the 30th). Do X-Mas at normal time (The 24/25th) And then the day after that start Kwanzaa (26th to the 1st). And don't forget New Years.

If your parents aren't broke by the end of it....

lampost_sig_stark.png

I heard somewhere, that Jesus was actually born in April, but the Pope a long time ago made Christmas in December to counter a pagan holiday. Oh well.

I'll say Merry Christmas, get off your ivory tower if you got a problem with that.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

OK. I found what Kwanzaa was.

"Kwanzaa is a week-long holiday celebrated throughout the world, honoring African heritage, marked by participants lighting a kinara (candle holder).[1] It is observed from December 26 to January 1 each year."

So this year, start celebrating Hanukkah at the 22nd which is eight days (Brings you too the 30th). Do X-Mas at normal time (The 24/25th) And then the day after that start Kwanzaa (26th to the 1st). And don't forget New Years.

If your parents aren't broke by the end of it....

Gifts of Kwanzaa aren't the materialized present we get for Christmas and Haunakah. In Kwanzaa you gift come from your heart and soul, not from how much you get paid

lighviolet1lk4.jpg