Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which brand should i trust the most for a quality desktop

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

OldJoe
[ Display Name History ]

OldJoe

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,922 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Joedeby

Just avoid Packard Bell and Compaq!

Had a PB computer from 98, which worked great (until the screen literally burned up in 2005).

Their support don't have a clue what you're talking about if you are getting a bit technical about things, and on the one we got atm i've had to disable alot of features (which freed-up about 100mb ram).

So the computer died after 7 years of use? That's common with any brand of computer. (I don't care about peoples stories saying not true I've had the same HP for 10 years ect.)

I hate when people make these threads because it's all opinion and stories of a computer breaking from one person. You have no idea if the problem was a manufacturing defect or the person was an idiot. My cousin says HP computers suck because he dropped one down the stairs and it wouldn't work right after that. My school just replaced all the computers with HPs and we have had less helpdesk tickets than before. Both are true stories, but you see what I mean? I could cherry pick stories to make any brand look good or bad.

Just get the fastest computer you can get from any brand for your money.

I never said the one from 98 was bad.

I included the thing with the screen just because it's a sorta "funny" thing that it actually went up in smoke.

The guy asked for an opinion, i gave my opinion. Am i then not gonna give my opinion because i might tick someone off? No. I'll say what i've experienced, and then if someone choses to not care about it or not, it's up to them.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies
Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie
Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens
Je suis juste un cas désespérant
Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer
Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Arixe
[ Display Name History ]

Arixe

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 82 posts
From personal experience, I would stay away from Acer. Their tech support is close to non existent and the restore cd's that came with the computer were missing a critical file straight out of the box.

The brands I have had luck with were HP and Dell. We maintain ~200 HP's at school and generally the only problem is user error.

Faux
[ Display Name History ]

Faux

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,805 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
HP. My parents have one

Overpriced to hell, but it's some decent stuff

whiteguy
[ Display Name History ]

whiteguy

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 301 posts

None. They all make overpriced [cabbage].

Maybe he doesn't know how to build a computer.

Personally I'd go with HP, very reliable.

HP just tried to hard to turn computers into eye candy, which is swell if you want something in say, your living room. But you could easily get the same specs from Dell much cheaper, without the glossy case. Acer has cheap computers, and a lowsy custom support, as well as using cheap parts. All in my experience at least. I'm still leaning towards Dell, since the government/U.S Military largely uses them, surely there's a reason behind that. Any of those brands are reliable though, it all comes down to preference and cost. If your looking for award winning customer support however, Apple is surely the winner.

I hate the shiny/glossy mini HP computers with a passion.

Meh, go with a Toshiba, i still have my dad's first Toshiba laptop (came with Win 95) but it's under Kubuntu now.

But if it's possible see if you can find someone to build it for you. It's just cheaper :)

sloter
[ Display Name History ]

sloter

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

None. They all make overpriced [cabbage].

Maybe he doesn't know how to build a computer.

Personally I'd go with HP, very reliable.

HP just tried to hard to turn computers into eye candy, which is swell if you want something in say, your living room. But you could easily get the same specs from Dell much cheaper, without the glossy case. Acer has cheap computers, and a lowsy custom support, as well as using cheap parts. All in my experience at least. I'm still leaning towards Dell, since the government/U.S Military largely uses them, surely there's a reason behind that. Any of those brands are reliable though, it all comes down to preference and cost. If your looking for award winning customer support however, Apple is surely the winner.

I hate the shiny/glossy mini HP computers with a passion.

Meh, go with a Toshiba, i still have my dad's first Toshiba laptop (came with Win 95) but it's under Kubuntu now.

But if it's possible see if you can find someone to build it for you. It's just cheaper :)

Toshiba's are shiny?

howbadisbad
[ Display Name History ]

howbadisbad

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  • RSN:teh stew
  • Clan:Mafia City
toshiba > dell
Posted Image

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

ghoulmeister
[ Display Name History ]

ghoulmeister

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • RSN2:rare ghoul2
Well, if you have a lot of money to spend, go with Alienware. They are simply the best, great customer service and quality parts, as well as being almost as good as custom made computers, if not better.

Just do yourself a favor, and don't get an HP. They are highly overrated, mine broke down in 7 months, no viruses or anything. The computer I am using is a ZT, and I got it at a fantastic price and it runs great. Good performance and no problems with it yet. Only problem is, it has Vista(then again, what doesn't?). With its low price though, you can just buy an XP package somewhere.

Overall though, I would wait to get a computer for a year or 2 when the next windows version comes out, but if you are strap for cash, buy something now that isn't too expensive, you will likely want one when the new windows OS comes out.

I has herd, that lesser demons, MAY or may not, drop tormented demons. \:D/ :roll: :x :D :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol:

Due to a typo, I am now stuck with 1k dragon darts and no buyer. Can I has bail out from tip.it plox?

dsavi
[ Display Name History ]

dsavi

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,869 posts

Well, if you have a lot of money to spend, go with Alienware. They are simply the best, great customer service and quality parts, as well as being almost as good as custom made computers, if not better.

I've heard endless horror stories about Alienwares overheating dangerously, don't know if they're true but it certainly puts me off. Along with the price.

C2b6gs7.png

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RSN:Davidd
Once you build your own computer, you will never buy a pre-buiilt again. The computer I built lasted way longer then anyone I have ever bought. :ugeek:

Edit: The only good computer I eve bought was a Gateway. I can't remember the exact one, but it was good. It lasted 8 years as compared to the dell computer I am using right now which is 2 years old and it is getting ready to die. :cry:

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Ouchy
[ Display Name History ]

Ouchy

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,365 posts
I have a Toshiba Laptop, as does my dad. Both of them work flawless, and I would recommend them. The home computer is a Compaq, and personally, it sucks. I'm not sure if it is Vista, but it's terrible to use. Problems since day one.

And bballer is right, building your own is the way to go :thumbup: Just make sure you know what you are doing first ;)

~Ouchy

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

Posted Image

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Québec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr

Just do yourself a favor, and don't get an HP. They are highly overrated, mine broke down in 7 months, no viruses or anything. The computer I am using is a ZT, and I got it at a fantastic price and it runs great. Good performance and no problems with it yet. Only problem is, it has Vista(then again, what doesn't?). With its low price though, you can just buy an XP package somewhere.

Overall though, I would wait to get a computer for a year or 2 when the next windows version comes out, but if you are strap for cash, buy something now that isn't too expensive, you will likely want one when the new windows OS comes out.

Oh no, you don't want an Alienware, with all the horror stories going around with them. I've whitnessed one as well. There are 2 students in my classes that have alienware laptops (we have our own laptop to bring to college), and one of them already had to have someone change his keyboard, since the keys were falling appart. That's only after a little less than 4 months of him having it.

I'm sorry for your loss on your Hp computer, but imo, it just was one of those that die short after buying (or you pushed it too far too often). Hp computers are generally computers that have a high quality and that don't break.

Orpheus
[ Display Name History ]

Orpheus

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,783 posts
Honestly though, custom builds are the way to go. You could just simply pay a computer shop to build one for you, with the specs YOU want, and they'll try to find parts for you for cheap.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

sloter
[ Display Name History ]

sloter

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

Honestly though, custom builds are the way to go. You could just simply pay a computer shop to build one for you, with the specs YOU want, and they'll try to find parts for you for cheap.

If your going to build you might as well just build it yourself.

Orpheus
[ Display Name History ]

Orpheus

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,783 posts

Well, some people just don't trust themselves to do stuff like this, even though building a computer isn't hard at all.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

sloter
[ Display Name History ]

sloter

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

Well, some people just don't trust themselves to do stuff like this, even though building a computer isn't hard at all.

I suppose.

im1knight
[ Display Name History ]

im1knight

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 641 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:baoding
Well...prebuild PCs comes with parts and labor warranty, so anything goes wrong, you can just send it back, and they give u a new one. If you build your own, it's much more trouble. Plus Prebuild PC have no problem with the hardware issue, and you don't have to worry about anything that don't work right, since it's impossible in prebuild PC.

For the brand, i go with HP for sure. Dell sell for much more expensive price for the same spec. Plus Dell's costumer support is crap. I would never buy Dell in my life again. Hp's costumer support is the best i've seen so far. When i had a problem with dual boot issue, they actually gave me help that they are not responsible for, all of my 6 computers are HP, except for one Dell(the first one). and they work great
Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains
Posted Image
World 59, the world i loved~
Posted Image

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator
http://www.visualfli...ideo/image_mini
http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight
my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

Laura
[ Display Name History ]

Laura

Cor Aut Mors

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Well...prebuild PCs comes with parts and labor warranty, so anything goes wrong, you can just send it back, and they give u a new one. If you build your own, it's much more trouble. Plus Prebuild PC have no problem with the hardware issue, and you don't have to worry about anything that don't work right, since it's impossible in prebuild PC.

For the brand, i go with HP for sure. Dell sell for much more expensive price for the same spec. Plus Dell's costumer support is crap. I would never buy Dell in my life again. Hp's costumer support is the best i've seen so far. When i had a problem with dual boot issue, they actually gave me help that they are not responsible for, all of my 6 computers are HP, except for one Dell(the first one). and they work great

Dell will always be lower priced so long as it remains under HP (in share; Dell is 10.87, while HP is 34.32).

Dell

HP

Spec for spec, and the Dell has a larger HD and a monitor.

Though I agree about the CS.
Posted Image

Sam
[ Display Name History ]

Sam

we are the music makers

• Members
  • 9,508 posts
Get Alienware 8-)

EDIT: Just saw what Dsavi said, perhaps not.

Get a Dell. My mother has had one for a couple of years now, and it's the best desktop I've used before I got this VAIO laptop. It's never broken down either :thumbup:

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

XHuskyX
[ Display Name History ]

XHuskyX

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • RSN:100husky
Get an HP. I'm using one with no problems. :)
Posted Image

flying_death_bombs55
[ Display Name History ]

flying_death_bombs55

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
I have a HP and I've been using it almost 10 years now(got it in 2000). Never had any problems with it, if anything goes wrong its usually my fault. :wall: :oops: :-$
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

When you mentioned the Dragon Plates I had a sudden vision of a load of gangsters running around in fancy dress yealling "Grim Reaper in da hood!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users