Opinions on Revenants?

Ned

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother was doing his level-3 clue, and on the way he ran into a Knight Rev. At the spot to dig, he ran into a dragon rev. He decided to dig, and thus had 3 Npcs attacking him. He quickly killed the zammy mage, dug up the chest, stuffed sharks in his mouth and ran off laughing. :lol:

And he isn't that tough, really. His defence was 80 (some of you are much tougher) but he kept his head and lived. If those 'revs were real Pkers of old he'd be putty on the floor.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Revenants are pushovers. Wear Barrows and pray magic. Bring spirit wolves and howl scrolls in case you get teamed.

Roses are red,

Violets are blue.

This line doesn't rhyme,

And neither does this one.

Hmm, I am no longer so sure about the 40% thing on revs. From personal observations coming from a person whom mages tend to walk all over...repetedly...with mage protect on (CW, SC, PvP). I can't remember any cases of magic doing damage (or any other style for that matter), except when I have switched prayers in response to the fireing noise (which suggests that you need to swap before they attack).

The freezing and TB'ing are either fully exempt from the prayers, or subject to the 40% protection normally offered to a prayer user against another player.

This is why the revs occasionaly use an attack style your praying against, its because the freeze/tb still works. If you try and run I find they tend to range (but then I always use mage protect exclusively so I am a piss poor example here), but say when I make a made dash for the arddy lever, teh ork will imediatly start maging me (to some success about 2 minutes ago, I am no hiding behind cobwebs in the mage arena praying a rev tragets me bofore its patrol/whim allows it access.

That brings up something I discovered. A rev can walk walk through doors, and some walls (though I saw it happen, but its pretty hard to sneak up on a knight or ork, about the only 2 things I ever run into and neither of which are kills worth my time and effort (there too hard to be fun to kill, especialy knights with their god like defense). Back to the point, once a rev has tageted a player, it can no longer walk through anything (but they can still attack over some things with mage/range).

I also happened upon a rev dragon. I leaned some key things about combat with this creature:

• Dragon fire sheilds are not needed because it is technicaly a ghost, not a dragon, and so does not use dragon breath.

• You should run...very fast.

• You should panic. This will counter any desire to stay and fight. The appropriate response when you encounter one is 'holy [bleep]ing [cabbage] i'm gonna die' followed by a voice in your head yelling 'RUN!' and 'Ahhhhhh!'.

• It can and does poison below level 50 wild, unlike other revs that poison.

• According to the RuneScape wiki, it has less defense than a knight (which has the highest defence of all revs), and my 4 whip hits of which 2 hit support this (I hit about 1 in 5 on a knight).

• It can hit VERY high damage.

Note that I did die. It was gone when I came back to my grave. I would have lived but for being frozen at the last second.

The secret to killing revs is to fight them. So many people just immediately panic and run, without even trying to put up a serious defense. I think almost all of the trouble people have with revs is the myth that they are dangerous monsters. They are a truly pathetic replacement for the real PKers, and with basic combat tactics they are nothing.

As for F2P, they should just put normal pkers back in, except without the drops. You really cant make serious money quickly on f2p anyway, so the fun would be enough of an incentive to go kill there. Also, there are plenty of people, like myself, who would kill people there just to be a jerk!!

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Puts up an interesting argument. I've always been against Revenants, & my opinion is not going to change just because a thousand other people decided to jump on the ban wagon.

I'll go hunting one day, & see if that changes my opinion.

Other than that, it was a good read. It really opened my eyes. :thumbup:

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

So you should be level 90 and above to go into the wilderness? You can't fight revs at green drags because they take up food, which means less profit. And that's if I can actually kill it.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

As annoying as Revenants can be I find I can deal with them better then with the old alternative - Pkers. The only reason I go into the wilderness is to mine Runite (Occasionally, but rarely, Clan wars), and there is a lot of world hopping involved in doing so. I would rather log in to find a Revenant then a Pker because you can easily run away from one while not using much food then you can just log out after 10 seconds. While an actual player will continue to chase you down hoping for the kill rather then the NPC just backing off after you get a certain distance. Although the Runite mine isn't multi combat, the area near it is so if there is a group of Pkers you're in trouble. Player's will be able to think and use their abilities to more effectively and efficiently kill you, while chasing you further out of the way. Revenants being NPCs don't have the abilities and just won't chase you for long, run a few seconds of distance away, log out, and you're safe. If I had the option.. I would have neither.. but then that would bring more Runite miners.. =/

One of the biggest mistakes anyone can make when running from a rev is to panic. As I said already, I love to hunt revs. A lot of times I'd be with a small team of low level players who think it will be an awesome experience. Then a rev vampire comes and they flip out. They are torn between fighting it and living up their manhood or running away and keeping their addy. A lot of times they are so confused on what to do that they forget to eat and die quickly.

A few tips when you're running/hiding from revs:

1. Revs can walk THROUGH doors and gates. I've seen low level players hiding inside the zammy altar in 40 wild and think they're safe, only to see the rev vampire walk right through the door and destroy them.

2. Revs can often attack you even when they're off your screen. Even after you've gotten away, do NOT stop running until you've gone a good 6-10 seconds without him throwing another attack at you.

I suggest that if you're not a rev hunter, read up on revenants on the bestiary. There was an old guide on revenant hunting in the guides forum here, I'm not sure if it's still alive but you can probably search it. Know your enemy inside and out and don't panic when you get hit by a 25. It's tough especially for low level players who are too used to monsters hitting 10s or less.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Revenents can only walk through doors/webs when they are on patrol. As soon as they target a player to attack, they loose this ability. If you are hiding in the chaos alter the best thing you can do is turn of what ever protection prayer (not melee though), open the door, take a hit and shut the door. Now it can't get in. If you just cower at the back (or at the front) a wandering revenant will just walk through the door and start its [wagon] kicking in ernest.

Do not take on two+ revenants in single way combat unless you seriously outpower them. For example: if there are two revs, you would wan't to have enough food and prayer (or whatever supplies you use) to kill 3 of that rev without restocking. This is because they will trade you, so you will wear each one down but never kill one, until they both run out of food.

Without exception, revenants are weakest in melee combat. I base this off the fact that every revs max hit is a range/mage attack, and often melee is significantly lower (for the dragon I belive almost 8 points lower). This is where wearing melee armour is a boon since with mage protect, range is probably your highest defence, so the rev will engagemelee. If range or mage is your lowest defence, then you risk the revenant using a range/mage attack even in close qwuarters combat.

If you don't have the prayer to take on revenants, as in your prayer won't last long enough or you don't want to carry alot of ppots, dragon hide is the best thing you can do. I wear melee armour against the common advice I do otherwise (though no one in the game has ever questioned my choice in the matter). I feel I have a great advantage over my blue dhide, which I do but only for so lang as my mage protect prayer exists. If and when, my prayer runs dry and I can not restroe it, I have about 5 seconds before I start taking magic hits that could very well exceed my ability to heal (a knight would start hitting near coomon 20+ hits, and I eat monkfish at 16 ea), so I must run and pray I don't succumb to the freezing range attack often enough to not escape.

If you are going to always run, emphasise you magic defense above all else. If this means mage robes have a higher mage defence, wear them. Whe a revenant first attacks it will be with range of magic. As soon as you hear a revenant attack, you slam on your range defence prayer and run before it gets to melee range. Now, I know that protect prayers can only block damage effects, not the poison of melee (any poison npc can do so through the relevent protect prayer), freezing range, or tb'ing magic. The idea is that when someone like myself runs, we get hammered with freezing attacks, especialy if the mage protect is still on. Someone with range attack will be hammered by tb's instead, but will have a greater chance of actualy running away. This does assume you don't want to tele out of the wild all the time.

Now here is why I posted. Penguin hunting invariably has a wild penguin (or two), and I belive has only not had a wild penguin once. These penguins are the second hardest in the game to find (the hardest is arguably a free roaming desert penguin, because the desert is larger due to clan wars and bouty hunter taking up so much space). If we still had pk'ers, trapping a penguin in the wild woudl be immpossible. Eventualy someone would betray their clan, or an enemy penguin/pk'ing clan might attack. Then you have random pk'ers comming through. You would end up with pk'ers swarming in the penguin hunting worlds wild, snd no one could ask for help finding because of fear of being killed by their aide. Penguins have shown to roam on any part of the world visible on the world map (ie no inside dungeon caves, on teh second floor of a house etc.). Thsi means teh wild penguins would have existed anyways assuming the hunt would have existed anyways.

Also, the wild stars would be immpossible to mine, since they woudl attract pk'ers who just kill for the fun of it. The best parts of two distractions and diversions would be unplayable.

Of course, it is my opinion that these are teh best part o feach D&D, but for the removal of pk'ers I am and always will be thankful.

Personally, I love revenants. They're the closest thing F2P has to a boss monster, albeit a boss monster without any loot, but a challenge nonetheless.

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

Their drops really need to be improved. They are of decent difficulty in P2P with the armour you can use, but the drops are just atrocious and really need a better drop rate.

F2P revenants are pretty cruel :P .

revenants ey...

in p2p at least, they are incredibly weak. it took four sharks to kill a rev knight with a dds and whip for me (i was in blue d hide), however the drops are really poor. i say update revenants, to make them harder (except in multi combat areas) and give better drops more consistently.

99-7.gif

Most Difficult Quiz

Rare drops; tzhaar-ket-om: 6 tzhaar-xil-ak: 4 tzhaar-xil-ek: 4 tzhaar-mej-tal: 1 Obsidian cape: 18 Dragon Plateskirt: 4 Dragon Platelegs: 7 Sq Shield left half: 1 Dragon Boots: 1 Dragon Medium Helmet: 11 Draconic Visage: 1 Zamorak Spear: 3 Steam Battlestaff: 1 Godsword Shards: 3 Bandos Chestplate: 1 Bandos Tassets: 1 Abyssal Whip: 1

I've also noticed a trend in how the max hit increases with the combat level. Vampires have a 22 max, while the Knight (which is double the danger) has 30? Should be rebalanced a bit, maybe a 5-40 Range.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

I have yet to be actually hit or killed by a rev.

There AI is rubbish I've done numerous trips through the wildy (mainly for rc'ing, questing, mini-questing and chaos tunnel access). The few I've seen don't move to intercept up (its a pretty basic bit of pk'ing) and don't move around buildings.

There biggest issue is they don't hang out in the right places or move accordingly. The bit between the CT and BH is about 3 clicks away, back in the old days a pk'er would far cast teleblock/bind or ice barrage you then moment you stepped foot outside BH. Same goes for Edgeville I used to (on my old acc FYI) love the thrill of a pker trying to bind, spec or barrage me.

It was (and still would be) the reason I used the abyss. Now I've yet to have yet to see a rev in that part of the wildy.

As another post said now we have a set of fixed pking rules/regulations, why not move the PvP back to all worlds wildy?

That way they can choose to PK worldwide or just in the wildy.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

can't stand them, but i do realise why they where put in,

Because the wild has to be dangerous, and with revs all over the place then the fear of the wild is allways on my mind when doing a clue,

i just don't want to lose either the loot from the clue or the clue itself,

But i don't like them but i do like, so i am in between,

Miss

tipitsignatureav7.jpg

Private Chat is allways ON, So please feel free to add me, I allways enjoy a good conversation and Im also a very good listener.

My opinion is they're just annoying, I cbf trying to kill them and the fact they they can tb and poison is really annoying if you're deep in the wilderness with little or no food

dying while waiting for your teleblock to run out while standing at the winderness level is just a pain in the [wagon] even though all you have to do is tele to ardy and pull the level again

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]