thoughts about vegatarianism

Seraphi

forgive me if I miss the entire point of being a vegetarian, but I really can't see the logic behind it.

if mankind wasn't supposed to eat meat then wouldn't we have problems digesting it?

a large part of why we became a sentient species is likely because we were omnivorous...?

so, why do people think eating meat is wrong?

2Xeo5.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People think eating meat is wrong because of cruelty to animals. I'm a meat eater, but I think it would be ideal if cruelty to animals was kept to a minimum, which it can be with proper farming/slaughter methods. The problem there is that it's not always economically sensible to be kind to our food.

Edit: other people have good points too, namely religion (you'll never catch a Hindu eating a cow) or as a lifestyle choice. It's a sustainable diet if you include plenty of legumes for protein, etc. In fact, it would have benefits in terms of reducing cholesterol and therefore reducing the risk of heart disease.

Some do it for the health benefits.

Your mom does it for the health benefits. No wait, that's my mom. Actually, 4/5 of the the vegetarians I know do it for the health benefits.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

but a decent amount of meat in a diet is healthy...?

It has protein, yes, but that can be gained from other forms of food. Meat also has a lot of fat, which isn't entirely healthy. And then you have to think of the possible consequences, high levels of metals such as mercury and lead, being undercooked, and the off chance of worms.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Hippies who do it make me lol.Save the Earth man,stop eating it.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Our canines and digestive system's adaptability to meat might just be an emergency back-up system. In the Ice Age, it would've been a trait that ensured survival.

But the human body is more efficient while running on fruits and vegetables than with a high percentage of meat in the diet.

(I remember there being a vitamin deficiency if one was to go pure vegan though, is this correct?)

Anyway. I eat meat because I like the taste.

Also, this emote is hilarious with a santa hat: :arrow:

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

(I remember there being a vitamin deficiency if one was to go pure vegan though, is this correct?)

You lose all form of cholesterol, which isn't healthy, as well as protein. I know you're right about the vitamin deficiency, but I can't seem to find anything.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

It has protein, yes, but that can be gained from other forms of food. Meat also has a lot of fat, which isn't entirely healthy. And then you have to think of the possible consequences, high levels of metals such as mercury and lead, being undercooked, and the off chance of worms.

Seriously, if what you mean by brain worms then you are seriously ill informed. Brain worms are only present in certain varieties of pork and the odds of you getting them are about 5 million:1. Unless you eat your pork right off the cow without cooking it, don't worry.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Seriously, if what you mean by brain worms then you are seriously ill informed. Brain worms are only present in certain varieties of pork and the odds of you getting them are about 5 million:1. Unless you eat your pork right off the cow without cooking it, don't worry.

There are many different forms of worms that can be present in many types of meat. Amongst the most common forms are that of Cestoda.

Well over 80% of patients we check have some type of parasite or bacteria and the slight inflammation of the abdomen, and unrelated pains and aches which indicate the presence of parasites.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

There are many different forms of worms that can be present in many types of meat.

Yeah, these worms are eliminated due to the health standards in most countries, and brain worms and the other worms are largely the same thing, just have different methods of transportation throughout the body.

maulmachine4.png

There are many different forms of worms that can be present in many types of meat.

Yeah, these worms are eliminated due to the health standards in most countries, and brain worms and the other worms are largely the same thing, just have different methods of transportation throughout the body.

Health standards or not, its quite common in almost any human. I don't beleive you're correct when you say that all worms are nearly identical; that only their means of transportations differ. You should know that they can cause different symptoms and ailments and effect different areas of the body. They come in many sizes and shapes and lay eggs at varying rates. They're just about as different as any other species.

Roundworms look similar to an earthworm and can produce 200,000 eggs daily. Approximately 1,008 million people are infected, making it the most common worldwide.

Worldwide, about 500 million are infected with pinworms. The worm is white and can grow to about half inch in length.

Trematodes (Flukes); Flatworms, bladder, blood, liver, lung, kidney and intestinal flukes. Human infections of flukes (Schistosomes) are in excess of 250 million worldwide.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

To make this discussion a little more interesting, let me introduce to you the parasitic toxoplasmosa gondii .

It alters behavior. Prime example of which is making host rats scurry towards predators in order to advance it's life cycle.

Last I read, it's very, very common.

Sweet dreams, everyone.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

Health standards or not, its quite common in almost any human. I don't beleive you're correct when you say that all worms are nearly identical; that only their means of transportations differ. You should know that they can cause different symptoms and ailments and effect different areas of the body. They come in many sizes and shapes and lay eggs at varying rates. They're just about as different as any other species.

Roundworms look similar to an earthworm and can produce 200,000 eggs daily. Approximately 1,008 million people are infected, making it the most common worldwide.

Worldwide, about 500 million are infected with pinworms. The worm is white and can grow to about half inch in length.

Trematodes (Flukes); Flatworms, bladder, blood, liver, lung, kidney and intestinal flukes. Human infections of flukes (Schistosomes) are in excess of 250 million worldwide.

You'll find that the worms that cause the most trouble are worms that try to infiltrate the brain-blood barrier. The species of worm that is the most successfull is the tapeworm. Now, the reason you don't understand why worms are not a threat is that the only way for a worm to infiltrate your brain or other internal organs is for you to swallow the eggs of the worm, this comes from not cooking your pork, if the actual worm is inside you there won't be any consequences that cannot be fixed. A brain worm will cause seizures and will kill you very easily, however since in most countries we eat our pork, we shouldn't worry.

maulmachine4.png

My thoughts on vegetarians:

I don't care if you're a vegetarian, just don't try to convert me into a vegetarian. :/

And it's okay that vegetarians don't eat meat, more for me.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Unless you eat your pork right off the cow without cooking it, don't worry.

Nothing else to add - I don't care about peoples' eating habits.

I'm a doctor and do to me not really wanting to go into depth im gonna summarize it like this: Don't eat anything metal,or glass.

It's lucky he isn't a vet :? ...

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

You'll find that the worms that cause the most trouble are worms that try to infiltrate the brain-blood barrier. The species of worm that is the most successfull is the tapeworm. Now, the reason you don't understand why worms are not a threat is that the only way for a worm to infiltrate your brain or other internal organs is for you to swallow the eggs of the worm, this comes from not cooking your pork, if the actual worm is inside you there won't be any consequences that cannot be fixed. A brain worm will cause seizures and will kill you very easily, however since in most countries we eat our pork, we shouldn't worry.

That doesn't really matter though. I was talking about common forms of worms, not something that's ultimately going to kill you. I understand how we obtain worms, through ingestion of eggs from undercooked meat. But statistics point to a large array of people worldwide having these parasites. They can cause disorders, pain, respiratory problems, liver failure, etc. It is a large problem, and one that goes unnoticed, especially in first world countries where we think that the food we eat is magically sterile.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I'm a doctor and do to me not really wanting to go into depth im gonna summarize it like this: Don't eat anything metal,or glass.

It was probably just a typo or something.

I know, I was just being a bit of an arse to be honest (it's about 3am here, that is my excuse).

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

It was probably just a typo or something.

Not a typo, you see when you buy the meat from your local store it has been treated and it is safer to eat, when you cook it this kills 99.99% of all bacteria/worms, yes laura, some do get in but there are simple procedures that can be used to eliminate certain varieties of worms. So unless you run up to a pig and take a bite out of it, or eat unprocessed meat, there really is nothing to be afraid of.

Thanks for pulling a quote off another thread where someone decided to eat glass.

maulmachine4.png