Wakka's Mousekeys Guide! LEARN TO DROP TWICE AS FAST!

wakka102

Once thing I like to do every now and then, is run a program called XPadder. It's a 3rd party program, so I will not be giving a link out to it, but, it lets a USB game controller emulate keyboard and mouse clicks. So, with it, you can basically play the game on a standard controller. You could set the analog sticks on one to act as the mouse and arrow keys, to move the mouse and camera, while the shoulder buttons control left or right clicks, or however else you choose to set it up.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it and it works, although I can't go as fast as in the video (either my keyboard fails or I just fail), so I will just stick with regular item dropping. Nice guide though. Just that I somehow can't get used to the idea of Mousekeys :oops:

I've tried this but my mouse moves away(very slowly) so when I'm fletching bolts for example, my mouse doesn't hit the feathers after 10 moves anymore.

im having the same problem as Bruno, it seems like every cycle the cursor moves an extra pixel up so i end up not hitting either the bolt or the feather. Do you know if there is a setting or something that is causing this?

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

• 1 month later...

For those having problems (either moving too far or too short). You may need to change your GHz.Go to your desktop.Right click > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Monitor.Change your Screen refresh rate to something else. All I know if that if your is 60Ghz, change it to 75. I am not sure with those with higher.If you are still having a problem, where it goes to examine on the second click:Go to Start > Control Panel > Mouse (under Printers & Hardware cateory) > Pointer Options Check off the 'Enchace pointer precision' option. It will feel very strange at first, but you'll get use to it.Hope this helps.

d9f84e76d7.png

I've just setup my mousekeys likeit says in the guide, but they won't work. They're activated and num lock in on, but they're still not working. I think my problem is that my laptop doesn't have a number pad, just an option to make one by use of the function key. Any ideas on what I can try?

• 4 weeks later...

Holding control doesn't work for me, it just moves a pixel.

I have a Windows XP PC.

Did you check the box that says Ctrl to speed up & Shift to slow down?

@Yuyu: Mousekeys is absurdly inefficient on laptops without number keys, because generally you need to hold the [Fn] key down in conjunction with NumLock to use the number pad; your best option for this would be getting an external number pad, which you can connect to your laptop via USB.

d9f84e76d7.png

cursor goes to the rigth spot and it right clicks the iron ore but it just wont left click it so it would drop the ore. wtf is this [cabbage]

...Do you not understand the concept of Mousekeys? You use it in conjunction with your mouse, because doing this solely with Mousekeys is completely impractical. To switch the 5 key's function from right-click to left-click, you press the / on your numpad. Now imagine doing that every time. Mousekeys + mouse > Mousekeys. 'nuff said.

d9f84e76d7.png

• 3 months later...

Ok. Finally got this to work "sorta" on a mac laptop. The problem is that I'm not getting any "jump". I have maximum speed at "fast" (highest it can go). When I press "2", it just moves down instead of "jumping" a certain distance. . . . Help?!

vettro.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The main problem I have while using the mousekeys (Vista) is when I do the jumps, it always jumps to predetermined sections of the screen. I'll start on an item and then click on it, but when I jump down it goes to a certain spot of the screen, but when I try to go back up it doesn't work. I'm also having trouble setting it up so that it hits the "Drop" selection.

• 1 month later...

I activated mouse keys on my computer yesterday, and now today my keyboard and mouse aren't responding, I've even tried a different mouse, still nothing. Everything loads up just fine(mouse keys are activated even thought I de-activated them before I turned me computer off), but it's like the mouse/keyboard aren't even plugged in. Please help!

For those having problems (either moving too far or too short). You may need to change your GHz.

Go to your desktop.

Right click > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Monitor.

Change your Screen refresh rate to something else. All I know if that if your is 60Ghz, change it to 75. I am not sure with those with higher.

If you are still having a problem, where it goes to examine on the second click:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Mouse (under Printers & Hardware cateory) > Pointer Options

Check off the 'Enchace pointer precision' option. It will feel very strange at first, but you'll get use to it.

Hope this helps.

Both of those things havent worked for me...

I just changed combinations of top speed and mouse speed and got the right one for me

LOOK:set-upmousekeys.jpg

with 60HZ and pointer precision thing checked off it worked great

SOMETHING GREAT FOR MOUSEKEYS!!! STICKY KEYS!

For Windows XP: control pannel > accessibility opitons > Keyboard tap > STICKYKEYS

settingsreamantes.jpg

^Had to traduce the most important things because my computer is in french^

With this turned on when it comes to drop just double tap the CTRL key and it will be like if you hold CTRL down at all time then when your finished dropping just tap CTRL again to disable it or else your computer will do weird things when you type

Ok. Finally got this to work "sorta" on a mac laptop. The problem is that I'm not getting any "jump". I have maximum speed at "fast" (highest it can go). When I press "2", it just moves down instead of "jumping" a certain distance. . . . Help?!

That's what happens to me! There's no box to change the speed of the pointer! :c

Unhesitating.png

I don't know what it's like on the Mac, but on Windows you're required to enable the option "Hold down CTRL to speed up and SHIFT to slow down" and hold down the CTRL key when pressing a key in order to produce a 'jump' rather than simply a small movement.

Perhaps there's a similar option?

Edit : From looking around a little, it appears that it's quite a requested feature for the Mac's MouseKeys abilities - but looks like there isn't any key to 'jump' by default.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw one post in this thread regarding using mouse keys in a Linux environment, but it doesn't seem to help much beyond activating slow mouse scrolling. I recently found a way to get mouse keys working well for me and I posted my method on a relevant thread in the RSOF. Being a long-time Tip.It lurker I decided I want to contribute my method here too. Here's my post from the RSOF:

"Now I can't be sure this will work on just any system (as a matter of fact, it probably won't) but it works just fine on my desktop computer running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I did some googling and came across a utility called xkbset. It let's you enable and modify accessibility features like mousekeys. To get it, open a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install xkbset

Or, fellow Ubuntu users can find it in the Software Center under the Applications tab by searching for "xkbset". So, after it's installed you need to activate it and configure it for use with RuneScape. Activating is as easy as pressing ctrl+shift+num lock or you can enter into the terminal:

xkbset a

By default you can move the mouse pointer around the screen slowly using the 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 6, 3, and 2 keys, and left-click once with the 5 key. To make the mouse move much faster and more sudden as you'd need it for dropping items or withdrawing something from your bank, use the "ma" command. For example, I find that for dropping items from my inventory, the following setting is useful:

xkbset ma 1 175 1 85 1

And to do a withdraw-all from my bank, I use this:

xkbset ma 1 73 1 85 1

By the way, these are the values that work for me on standard definition RuneScape on my computer. You may have to change them a bit. The two values that you should experiment with if you have any trouble are the second and fourth values. These are the interval and max speed values. I'm not super-confident on this but I believe as the interval value decreases, the distance the mouse moves with each key press increases. So you can see in my example I use an interval value of 175 for the short distance to the "Drop Item" tab and 73 for the slightly longer distance to the "Withdraw-All" tab. The max speed value just seems to work for me at 85, but if your having trouble, try increasing or decreasing it by 10 and see what happens."

I hope this proves useful to someone other than myself (not too confident on the population of Linux users here). If anyone has a question about it they can pm me on here or on RS.

I just can't get this to work. I've done the things mentioned in the first post. I'm running on a Vista Laptop, any help would be appreciated. I am holding down the Ctrl+FN+Number and it still is not working.

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png