Your least favourite update of 2008.

wackoredhead

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the griping about the graphics update. Sure, it is far too system-demanding for how it looks, but Runescape has and always will be. At least you have the option of playing with standard detail, your argument would be valid if you didn't have a choice but to run HD.

What? It requires a very poor system to run compared to the quality of the graphics.

Requirements are one thing, actually running smoothly is another. I've owned three computers since 2001 and have never enjoyed Runescape running anything better than "modestly". All high-end machines. Tried swapping graphics cards, nothing. Then thought it was Java settings, nothing.

I run 17 brand new HP computers at the library I work at. Kids come in and play Runescape all the time. The best they can handle is high-detail (small), and even that is compromising a lot.

I can run it smoothly with a GeForce 8400GS, and it's not that expensive

Im running it 100% on fullscreen with a Radeon 9200X (which cost me 15$ AU), and a 7 year old computer. :lol:

i personally didnt like Summoning, but there have been some uses to it so its ore of just a tick to the annoyance. mostly little knit-picks like the in-game map (which i mis-click so much), gnomecopters and the Grandmaster Quest, only due to the fact players could make 10-20m on the first day, now you cant even make 5m from the rewards and its dropping ever so fast. -.-

Popoto.~<3

Was the trade limit last year or 2007? That's my most hated update so far anywayz :x

it was actualy the greatest update ever. no autoers, no rwt'ers. no more identity/credit card theft = great

Y_Z.png

If I'm not mistaken (which I probably am) the limit was on display in '07 but, not put in to place till January '08. Anyway HD can't be judged on if you can or can't use it in my opinion. Summoning, like many skills, is a you like it or you don't like it skill so no point in posting a large post on why you hate it ( hint hint) or, though made me smile and agree a little, posting 5 paragraphs of replying to a stupid post.

Still PVP :evil: I can't get over the pure's and new junk.

New Siggy in progress.

Proud Construction cape owner

[hide=]

God there were so many bad ones and yet you make me pick one. :cry:

SUMMONING. Hands down. Hell I quit for 3 months after the second coming of failure.

I mean comon, a skill based around the randomness of drops, the cost of construction, and being trained like RC, all of the most annoying aspects of runescape.

And thats just the concept on paper alone, just think of shoddy implementation.

You move around a corner, click to do something, and then your interupted as your summon readjusts position because it got stuck behind something. It interupts YOU. Why is that?

Why is it that we fought hard to get the stupid pets out of castle wars so we could click freely only to now have behemoth 5 option garbage covering the whole map as to be sure that you're spammed with "This isn't your summon" when you try to do something?

Why can't I find my summon in a pile of summons at a bank and have to leave the bank to access it?

Why does it affect combat level when you would be stupid to use a combat summon?

Would you really give up all the extra food you could store in turtle or a yack for a steel trashcan?

Why can't you direct them to fight on their own in a single combat zone?

Why are they all defense and hitpoints and have damage dealing potentials less than F2P players?

Its not like anybody attacks them except to annoy people.

I could go on like this all day, but why bother, the peabrains of runescape were statisfied with it, and thus so is Jagex satisfied with it.

You are a disgrace to high levels. How on earth you even have any patience to play Runescape at all with that attitude is beyond me, but Summoning is one of the best updates of the year, if not one of the best updates Runescape has EVER seen.

You may train it like RC, but when using your charms to summon you are able to receive exp at up to 750k exp an hour. So while collecting charms may be time consuming, the actual using of them is rediculously fast. Also, if you were a SMART player, you'd train Summoning alongside Slayer, and then you wouldn't spend a dime on the skill. In fact, you'd make profit. Also, the charm drops aren't as random as most rare drops from boss monsters. They have a steady drop rate. I always make between 50-60 Crimsons every Abyssal Demon task of 150-199. So trust me, hun, they aren't that random.

Yes, sometimes the familiar (they aren't called summons) can interrupt what you are doing, but if you were a good player you'd know the ways to get around that. I'm not going to divulge simply because you don't deserve to know if you haven't already figured them out, but come on, use your head.

Cats were there simply to annoy you when people brought them in. Familiars fight for you, giving them an actual use. Also, yes, one of the only things I agree with you on is the fact that sometimes you don't always click your familiar, but perhaps this could be one of the updates Jagex makes in 2009 like they are talking about. If you want it fixed, tell them instead of griping about it on the tip.it forums.

Summoning gives combat levels because EVERY familiar adds to your combat. You have to be a complete moron not to see it. First off, any beast of burden gives you the ability to hold more food, potions, or armor. This means that while on monster hunts, tasks or in pvp, you are at an advantage over someone who is the same combat level WITHOUT a familiar. Healing familiars such as the unicorn or bunyip are essentially free food and can also be considered insane defense. If you take an average of 8 hp (bunyip) or 12 hp (unicorn) per minute away from the damage a monster or player can do to you, without wasting inventory spots on food, then my god, how can that possibly BE any better? That's an insane ability. If they added a "restore hp x8 prayer" you'd use it ALL the time AND wouldn't have any problems knowing that it's adding to your combat because it's prayer, right?

Familiars should be able to fight in single combat, I do agree. But Jagex has their reasons for doing this. Whether they think it'd be overpowered or that it would make things too easy or what, it's their decision. And most spots when doing slayer that are single combat you'd be better off using a healing familiar anyway.

And to counter your last rediculous remark, did you ever stop think what would happen if Jagex made their defense and hitpoints a lot lower? People WOULD attack them, and they WOULD die, and using a familiar would be absolutely useless.

Familiars were designed to be a COMBAT BOOST, much, much, much like prayer. It means that usually 1 out of every 2-4 attacks against monsters or 1 out of every 3-4 attacks against players will hit, and increase your max amount of damage done that turn. Try this little experiment:

Go to a training spot where you normally can kill over 100 of the monster per hour and take your best familiar. (In this case, your geyser titan) Make sure it is multi-combat. Use your familiar at all times while attacking the monsters yourself. See how much exp you got and how much exp your familiar got for you (meaning, train with melee and use a ranged familiar, aka your geyser) and see how much it totals up to be. Now, do the same thing for one more hour MINUS the combat familiar. Just you. See how much exp you made. You probably made about the same that YOU made the previous hour, but without the added exp the familiar made for you. For me, this usually totals about 4-12k exp depending on what familiar I use and on what monsters.

If I can increase the exp I get by up to 12k an hour with a familiar, then I would say Jagex has every RIGHT to make the skill raise your combat level.

So for God's sake, why don't you equip yourself with some intelligence and maybe research things before you really judge. Something in my gut tells me you don't ever take combat familiars out with you to even know how useful they are.

It's the players today. A lot of them are like you. Ungrateful for the fact that Jagex is constantly making this game easier for them by adding updates such as Summoning, and never satisfied with what they are given.

Go play WOW if that's who you are.

[/hide]

Actually i agree with trembake, Summoning is a pretty good concept, and would be a great skill, sure theres many non combat familiars and all that, but its really not that useful in combat considering the time it takes to train the skill.

For example, i would say summoning is harder than prayer to train, now i have 42 summoning, and 43 prayer. Summoning gives the same combat levels as prayer, and yet prayer is about 10 times more useful for me, the damage is like 7, and when training on monsters it takes 10 years to actually start attacking in which the monsters basically already dead.

The AI is stupid, they walk around like idiots, don't attack, can't be used effectively with range and mage, can't be used in a single combat area (why?, its not that strong anyway) and to top it off they do hopeless damage. Sure, if jagex increased damage BY A LOT and decreased HP BY A LOT, people might attack the familiars, but if it was balanced, as opposed to stupidly high defense and hp like it is now, people would use summoning more often. No monster ever brings my familiars even close to death.

Summoning charms can only be gained effectively at a higher level, it is in effect a very high level exclusive skill. No other skill i can think of is so limited in its options that you need to either spend millions with ice burst, or have an extremely high level to actually level up properly. Hardly any low level monster has a decent drop rate of charms. It just dosent happen, I'm almost better off waiting for genie lamp's than actually training summoning.

Not only that, there is basically no useful combat familiar until level 57, i mean come on, its a combat skill, why is it only half useful when your at 57 summoning. Why are their such limited options in terms of scroll hats, and why are most of them fighter related, where are mage hats? Oh yea i forgot, they don't exist.

Try using summoning in practice while training. At least at my level, which is low. I often safe spot monsters, and sunrise the familiar can't help, Or its a single combat area surprise! Familiar can't help again, and if I'm versing something i don't safe spot by the time my familiar attacks, not only dose it normally hit a zero, the monster is basically already dead.

So yes, i have a good reason for not liking summoning, it really isn't that useful. Why can't they just attack when you attack, Is it really so hard to do? Why can't they get half way decent AI. Why is it so unbelievably hard to get charms.

Sorry, summoning WOULD be a great skill. Unfortunately it isn't.

O.O

I'm going to have to go with the gonecopters. Sure, Jagex is trying to make money, but the copters are pretty much worthless. They're out of the way and only little kids, who aren't likely to be able to subscribe for a while, are going to go ahead and look at what they know they can't have.

/agree. It's kind of worthless for f2p, especially since p2p advertises itself :P

Summoning was one of the best updates.

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

The Trade Limit.

No more socialization basically. Runescape used to be a game about people. Now it is a game about sitting a dark room for 15 hours and clicking into a little yellow number with a picture next until it says "99".

I would quit right away, but it is the only me and a few other poeple I used to know still talk.

I would have to give credit to jag for the graphics update, but I could care less about graphics. I dont use Torag's because it looks good, I use it because it has good stats. If I was annoyed with the graphics, I would have played WoW or everquest or something else. I played RS because it was a great game, with a great community, even though there were a few morons here and there. People used to say I was wierd to play this game at the age I was. But I could always justify it by telling them to gth becasue I like the game. Now, I consider it to be a little embarassing.

If it werent the fact that I spent the good part of 2 years of my life on this game, I would just quit now.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Can't find an update I didn't like.

This doesn't mean I loved every update, but it means nothing was bad enough for it to be stuck in my mind.

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

The ingame world map. While it's handy for new areas, it makes mapping for Tip.It a huge pain, as every time you re-open the map, the colours differ slightly. This makes connecting areas difficult, as you have to map everything you need withing 90 seconds of inactivity, or you need to start again. Loved HD though :thumbup:

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

Summoning

Lovely concept, got me exited, but it needs ALOT of work. Such as pet AI. Charms are much to hard to get its almost exclusively for higher levels and the Combat familiars just don't cut it when your training.

charms to hard to get? really? oh my bad, god forbid that any skill in runescape is hard to level and is a chalenge. hell no! runescape is supposed to be for 4 year olds who just sit there and bang on the keyboard... [/rant]

but in all reality it should be hard, it goes hand in hand with slayer to give you some perspective. and combat fams are fine, i pay 6k for a fire titan pouch and it gets me ~10k exp in mage, im extatic about that.

but in my own opinion the worst update was probably item lending, so much development time was waisted on that stupid update, i could have had my recious wgs 2 months sooner!

ps. trade limit was set december 10th last year if i am not mistaken...(that means it cant be the worst update this year)

Lol, yea and jagex wants to make every skill hard to get, yes every skill should be slow and hard to get like slayer and runecrafting.

O.O

[hide=]
God there were so many bad ones and yet you make me pick one. :cry:

SUMMONING. Hands down. Hell I quit for 3 months after the second coming of failure.

I mean comon, a skill based around the randomness of drops, the cost of construction, and being trained like RC, all of the most annoying aspects of runescape.

And thats just the concept on paper alone, just think of shoddy implementation.

You move around a corner, click to do something, and then your interupted as your summon readjusts position because it got stuck behind something. It interupts YOU. Why is that?

Why is it that we fought hard to get the stupid pets out of castle wars so we could click freely only to now have behemoth 5 option garbage covering the whole map as to be sure that you're spammed with "This isn't your summon" when you try to do something?

Why can't I find my summon in a pile of summons at a bank and have to leave the bank to access it?

Why does it affect combat level when you would be stupid to use a combat summon?

Would you really give up all the extra food you could store in turtle or a yack for a steel trashcan?

Why can't you direct them to fight on their own in a single combat zone?

Why are they all defense and hitpoints and have damage dealing potentials less than F2P players?

Its not like anybody attacks them except to annoy people.

I could go on like this all day, but why bother, the peabrains of runescape were statisfied with it, and thus so is Jagex satisfied with it.

You are a disgrace to high levels. How on earth you even have any patience to play Runescape at all with that attitude is beyond me, but Summoning is one of the best updates of the year, if not one of the best updates Runescape has EVER seen.

You may train it like RC, but when using your charms to summon you are able to receive exp at up to 750k exp an hour. So while collecting charms may be time consuming, the actual using of them is rediculously fast. Also, if you were a SMART player, you'd train Summoning alongside Slayer, and then you wouldn't spend a dime on the skill. In fact, you'd make profit. Also, the charm drops aren't as random as most rare drops from boss monsters. They have a steady drop rate. I always make between 50-60 Crimsons every Abyssal Demon task of 150-199. So trust me, hun, they aren't that random.

Yes, sometimes the familiar (they aren't called summons) can interrupt what you are doing, but if you were a good player you'd know the ways to get around that. I'm not going to divulge simply because you don't deserve to know if you haven't already figured them out, but come on, use your head.

Cats were there simply to annoy you when people brought them in. Familiars fight for you, giving them an actual use. Also, yes, one of the only things I agree with you on is the fact that sometimes you don't always click your familiar, but perhaps this could be one of the updates Jagex makes in 2009 like they are talking about. If you want it fixed, tell them instead of griping about it on the tip.it forums.

Summoning gives combat levels because EVERY familiar adds to your combat. You have to be a complete moron not to see it. First off, any beast of burden gives you the ability to hold more food, potions, or armor. This means that while on monster hunts, tasks or in pvp, you are at an advantage over someone who is the same combat level WITHOUT a familiar. Healing familiars such as the unicorn or bunyip are essentially free food and can also be considered insane defense. If you take an average of 8 hp (bunyip) or 12 hp (unicorn) per minute away from the damage a monster or player can do to you, without wasting inventory spots on food, then my god, how can that possibly BE any better? That's an insane ability. If they added a "restore hp x8 prayer" you'd use it ALL the time AND wouldn't have any problems knowing that it's adding to your combat because it's prayer, right?

Familiars should be able to fight in single combat, I do agree. But Jagex has their reasons for doing this. Whether they think it'd be overpowered or that it would make things too easy or what, it's their decision. And most spots when doing slayer that are single combat you'd be better off using a healing familiar anyway.

And to counter your last rediculous remark, did you ever stop think what would happen if Jagex made their defense and hitpoints a lot lower? People WOULD attack them, and they WOULD die, and using a familiar would be absolutely useless.

Familiars were designed to be a COMBAT BOOST, much, much, much like prayer. It means that usually 1 out of every 2-4 attacks against monsters or 1 out of every 3-4 attacks against players will hit, and increase your max amount of damage done that turn. Try this little experiment:

Go to a training spot where you normally can kill over 100 of the monster per hour and take your best familiar. (In this case, your geyser titan) Make sure it is multi-combat. Use your familiar at all times while attacking the monsters yourself. See how much exp you got and how much exp your familiar got for you (meaning, train with melee and use a ranged familiar, aka your geyser) and see how much it totals up to be. Now, do the same thing for one more hour MINUS the combat familiar. Just you. See how much exp you made. You probably made about the same that YOU made the previous hour, but without the added exp the familiar made for you. For me, this usually totals about 4-12k exp depending on what familiar I use and on what monsters.

If I can increase the exp I get by up to 12k an hour with a familiar, then I would say Jagex has every RIGHT to make the skill raise your combat level.

So for God's sake, why don't you equip yourself with some intelligence and maybe research things before you really judge. Something in my gut tells me you don't ever take combat familiars out with you to even know how useful they are.

It's the players today. A lot of them are like you. Ungrateful for the fact that Jagex is constantly making this game easier for them by adding updates such as Summoning, and never satisfied with what they are given.

Go play WOW if that's who you are.

[/hide]

Actually i agree with trembake, Summoning is a pretty good concept, and would be a great skill, sure theres many non combat familiars and all that, but its really not that useful in combat considering the time it takes to train the skill.

For example, i would say summoning is harder than prayer to train, now i have 42 summoning, and 43 prayer. Summoning gives the same combat levels as prayer, and yet prayer is about 10 times more useful for me, the damage is like 7, and when training on monsters it takes 10 years to actually start attacking in which the monsters basically already dead.

The AI is stupid, they walk around like idiots, don't attack, can't be used effectively with range and mage, can't be used in a single combat area (why?, its not that strong anyway) and to top it off they do hopeless damage. Sure, if jagex increased damage BY A LOT and decreased HP BY A LOT, people might attack the familiars, but if it was balanced, as opposed to stupidly high defense and hp like it is now, people would use summoning more often. No monster ever brings my familiars even close to death.

Summoning charms can only be gained effectively at a higher level, it is in effect a very high level exclusive skill. No other skill i can think of is so limited in its options that you need to either spend millions with ice burst, or have an extremely high level to actually level up properly. Hardly any low level monster has a decent drop rate of charms. It just dosent happen, I'm almost better off waiting for genie lamp's than actually training summoning.

Not only that, there is basically no useful combat familiar until level 57, i mean come on, its a combat skill, why is it only half useful when your at 57 summoning. Why are their such limited options in terms of scroll hats, and why are most of them fighter related, where are mage hats? Oh yea i forgot, they don't exist.

Try using summoning in practice while training. At least at my level, which is low. I often safe spot monsters, and sunrise the familiar can't help, Or its a single combat area surprise! Familiar can't help again, and if I'm versing something i don't safe spot by the time my familiar attacks, not only dose it normally hit a zero, the monster is basically already dead.

So yes, i have a good reason for not liking summoning, it really isn't that useful. Why can't they just attack when you attack, Is it really so hard to do? Why can't they get half way decent AI. Why is it so unbelievably hard to get charms.

Sorry, summoning WOULD be a great skill. Unfortunately it isn't.

You're summoning is not even level 50 yet. You OBVIOUSLY haven't put much time into training it if you think it's hard to level in. Did you know that I can get 100k Slayer exp and the charms I've gotten from drops along with that 100k slayer exp equal near 133-150k summoning exp? Summoning is EXTREMELY easy to train.

Not only that, but you can make 2,000 pouches per hour with the spirit kyatt familiar. 2,000 Geyser Titan Pouches (level 89 Summoning using blue charms) would get you about 1,500,000 experience. IN ONE HOUR. So while collecting charms is a little more time consuming, using them is rediculously fast.

The AI is fine. Just click the whistle button the second you attack a monster and your familiar will attack it as well.

As for them doing hopeless damage, that just shows how pathetically misinformed you are. Summoning adds more attack and strength to your average damage per attack than prayer does. Don't believe me? Do what I said and test how much exp per

hour you make with a familiar over without it.

Oh, and P.S. The Helm of Neitiznot stores scrolls. That is MELEE helm. Actually, the most commonly used melee helm aside from the slayer helm now when it comes to higher levels and monster hunting. Also, the Rune Full Helm stores them, as well as the dragon med helm. The list goes on beyond this as well.

Sorry, but no matter how you try to pick at the little, insignificant things, people who have more experience in the skill than you do will tell you you're wrong. You may not LIKE the skill, which is fine. You don't have to. But to say it's useless or not very useful is just showing how much of an ignorant, badly experienced player you are.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

I'm 90 summoning myself and I do agree the AI needs to be improved badly. Also, the bug where it dissapears (when kiling jade vine, phoenix, bork, ...) has been out so long and still hasnt been fixed. Lastly, when your familiar appears, everything you do is stopped, which is very annoying too. Just a few things, which are (besides the AI) very easy to fix probably, would make it soo much better.

I run RSHD like a dream, but I run an alienware.

I'm quite upset to hear everyone badmouthing HD and Summoning. First of all, even low detail users got huge graphical updates with the HD switch. And summoning is perhaps one of the best things to happen to RS. Yes its difficult to train, but thats the point of an mmo.

But i must say, without a doubt, that my least favorite updates were the GE and trade limits. I don't hate the idea of a grand exchange system, I just hate how the price range has been set up. The price adjustment algorithm could have been set up so much better, but its too late to change it now.

Icantcmyeye.png

Icantcmyeye.png

i can not believe how many people dislike the HD. the only reason you dont like it is becuase you dont like change :wall: :wall: :wall: and its not like you can only have it in HD you can change it!!! also the worst update was the trade limits.

Erin go bragh (Ireland for ever)

tetsupportsig2.jpg

i can not believe how many people dislike the HD. the only reason you dont like it is becuase you dont like change :wall: :wall: :wall: and its not like you can only have it in HD you can change it!!! also the worst update was the trade limits.

I find it far too graphically demanding. Thank goodness we still have standard detail...

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

HD - Not in general, but it reeealy bothers me that they changed the body appearance this way. It's not natural and running feels like running crouching. The texture of some things are shockigly out of place, as the black on the mystic white robes, They are not appearing as shadows in the fabric, rather, like stripes on the top and spread dots of black on the bottom. The wide screen is wonderful, and the enviroment textures are great.

Summoning - First useful summon comes at 52, Before that it's just low leveled meatbags that occationally draws the attack away from you for, oh say 3 seconds, before being ignored completley. From 52 and up, i cant complain, other than that the -70 combats are just as weak as their predecessors.

Ectofuntus animation update - Another animation that takes 2 sec, that's whats killing this game. Long animations are aweful, as this game is much about speed and precision, Animtions that serve no other purpouse than looking fancy, while killing speed of action, is -