Your least favourite update of 2008.

wackoredhead

Yes, I meant Fally obviously :P

And nothing is wrong with the prayer shield, it DOES have the most prayer bonus of any shield, but I probably would never use it because I'd rather either be using zammy book for the offensive bonuses, or DFS if I need defense. There's nothing particularly WRONG with it, it's just that it's nowhere near as useful as the other rewards; at least for me (I don't farm :P)

Just as a tip - the Fally shield is absolutely incredible at Dark beasts. Best prayer bonus in game AND the recharge means you get about 10 free kills off the recharge plus 10-20 additional kills (due to slower pray drain) for every trip.

Great for whipper-snappers like me.

Couldn't disagree more about summoning being a failure, either. I find that while there are certain hiccups (pet AI being listed; that's true), the skill is both very balanced and wildly useful.

The update I didn't care for this year was probably the Fremmenik Diary. Those boots haven't left my bank since I got the third stage ones.

stormveritas.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My least favorite would probably be HD. It's not that I don't like the new graphics, It's just that I can't run it on the computer/internet that I use. Right now, it's a pretty useless update for me.

I also can't run it. Makes this my least favorite update until I can.

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

God there were so many bad ones and yet you make me pick one. :cry:

SUMMONING. Hands down. Hell I quit for 3 months after the second coming of failure.

I mean comon, a skill based around the randomness of drops, the cost of construction, and being trained like RC, all of the most annoying aspects of runescape.

And thats just the concept on paper alone, just think of shoddy implementation.

You move around a corner, click to do something, and then your interupted as your summon readjusts position because it got stuck behind something. It interupts YOU. Why is that?

Why is it that we fought hard to get the stupid pets out of castle wars so we could click freely only to now have behemoth 5 option garbage covering the whole map as to be sure that you're spammed with "This isn't your summon" when you try to do something?

Why can't I find my summon in a pile of summons at a bank and have to leave the bank to access it?

Why does it affect combat level when you would be stupid to use a combat summon?

Would you really give up all the extra food you could store in turtle or a yack for a steel trashcan?

Why can't you direct them to fight on their own in a single combat zone?

Why are they all defense and hitpoints and have damage dealing potentials less than F2P players?

Its not like anybody attacks them except to annoy people.

I could go on like this all day, but why bother, the peabrains of runescape were statisfied with it, and thus so is Jagex satisfied with it.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

In the year 2008, my least favorite update would have to deal with Stealing Creation and it's most recent point update. Don't get me wrong, I love Stealing Creation to death, and I have since the day it came out, but I don't believe there was a neccesity in saying the points allowed were going to be capped.. let alone changing it to where a range of points from the game itself would give a certain number of points outside to spend.

(E.g. 4,500 to 5,000 points gets you a grand total of 27 points to spend on clay materials.)

But to make matters worse, they made it to where the points you recieved were in such small quantities. I believe it would have been better just to keep it the way it was where you knew what you were going to get, rather than hoping you earned enough points for that clay item you want, or even need.

As of every other update, I haven't really cared much about them. Some people have mentioned the introduction of High Detail RuneScape. True as it is, my computer can't run it, but I like playing RuneScape in low detail. ::'

Kioto10.png

Kioto10.png

Kioto10.png

9fxzcj.jpg <-- Crafting

Kioto10.png wjPu.gif

SUMMONING. Hands down. Hell I quit for 3 months after the second coming of failure.

I mean comon, a skill based around the randomness of drops, the cost of construction, and being trained like RC, all of the most annoying aspects of runescape.

Randomness of drops? Are you freaking serious? Go pick a monster at random, chances are, it drops charms. Charms are so incredibly easy to come by, that, by just saying that, you might as well have admitted that you know nothing about the skill. You also shouldn't be blaming Jagex for how poor you are. As for training like Rc, I really doubt you can get 600k-1m exp per hour in Rc

You move around a corner, click to do something, and then your interupted as your summon readjusts position because it got stuck behind something. It interupts YOU. Why is that?

Smart people click the button the before the attack so the attack script resets, thus not interrupting you and making the monster attack sooner.

Why is it that we fought hard to get the stupid pets out of castle wars so we could click freely only to now have behemoth 5 option garbage covering the whole map as to be sure that you're spammed with "This isn't your summon" when you try to do something?

It's something aiding in combat, it has every right to be there. If you want them out, kill them.

Why can't I find my summon in a pile of summons at a bank and have to leave the bank to access it?

There's hardly a pile of summons anywhere. I can't think of a place where this is a problem, and even if there is, you lose 2 seconds with this "problem".

Why does it affect combat level when you would be stupid to use a combat summon?

It affects your combat level if you want it too. As for the "stupidity" of a combat summon, try a Steel Titan. It'll kill you in 2 specials.

Would you really give up all the extra food you could store in turtle or a yack for a steel trashcan?

With a decent spec, you could kill the opponent before you have to eat once. And compare the Yaks hp to the Titan's. You're argument is gone. The Yak will be specced out first thing.

Why would you want to?

Why are they all defense and hitpoints and have damage dealing potentials less than F2P players?

Try the steel titan.

I could go on like this all day, but why bother, the peabrains of runescape were statisfied with it, and thus so is Jagex satisfied with it.

Saying you're an idiot would be an understatement.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Graphical update because it removed the 3 iron rocks in a V in the Al Kharid mine.

MR. OCTOPUS BEARD DISAGREES!

30259it.jpgNo, THAT's what she said.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read below.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read above.

[hide=OMG DRAGON KITESHIELD IN-GAME!!!!]rickrollad5.png

Never gonna give you up...[/hide]

I cant use a chair, evidence that Lucien's men are sitting on them.

I see you have 90 summoning.

priest_wiz.png

You are a disgrace to high levels. How on earth you even have any patience to play Runescape at all with that attitude is beyond me, but Summoning is one of the best updates of the year, if not one of the best updates Runescape has EVER seen.

You may train it like RC, but when using your charms to summon you are able to receive exp at up to 750k exp an hour. So while collecting charms may be time consuming, the actual using of them is rediculously fast. Also, if you were a SMART player, you'd train Summoning alongside Slayer, and then you wouldn't spend a dime on the skill. In fact, you'd make profit. Also, the charm drops aren't as random as most rare drops from boss monsters. They have a steady drop rate. I always make between 50-60 Crimsons every Abyssal Demon task of 150-199. So trust me, hun, they aren't that random.

Yes, sometimes the familiar (they aren't called summons) can interrupt what you are doing, but if you were a good player you'd know the ways to get around that. I'm not going to divulge simply because you don't deserve to know if you haven't already figured them out, but come on, use your head.

Cats were there simply to annoy you when people brought them in. Familiars fight for you, giving them an actual use. Also, yes, one of the only things I agree with you on is the fact that sometimes you don't always click your familiar, but perhaps this could be one of the updates Jagex makes in 2009 like they are talking about. If you want it fixed, tell them instead of griping about it on the tip.it forums.

Summoning gives combat levels because EVERY familiar adds to your combat. You have to be a complete moron not to see it. First off, any beast of burden gives you the ability to hold more food, potions, or armor. This means that while on monster hunts, tasks or in pvp, you are at an advantage over someone who is the same combat level WITHOUT a familiar. Healing familiars such as the unicorn or bunyip are essentially free food and can also be considered insane defense. If you take an average of 8 hp (bunyip) or 12 hp (unicorn) per minute away from the damage a monster or player can do to you, without wasting inventory spots on food, then my god, how can that possibly BE any better? That's an insane ability. If they added a "restore hp x8 prayer" you'd use it ALL the time AND wouldn't have any problems knowing that it's adding to your combat because it's prayer, right?

Familiars should be able to fight in single combat, I do agree. But Jagex has their reasons for doing this. Whether they think it'd be overpowered or that it would make things too easy or what, it's their decision. And most spots when doing slayer that are single combat you'd be better off using a healing familiar anyway.

And to counter your last rediculous remark, did you ever stop think what would happen if Jagex made their defense and hitpoints a lot lower? People WOULD attack them, and they WOULD die, and using a familiar would be absolutely useless.

Familiars were designed to be a COMBAT BOOST, much, much, much like prayer. It means that usually 1 out of every 2-4 attacks against monsters or 1 out of every 3-4 attacks against players will hit, and increase your max amount of damage done that turn. Try this little experiment:

Go to a training spot where you normally can kill over 100 of the monster per hour and take your best familiar. (In this case, your geyser titan) Make sure it is multi-combat. Use your familiar at all times while attacking the monsters yourself. See how much exp you got and how much exp your familiar got for you (meaning, train with melee and use a ranged familiar, aka your geyser) and see how much it totals up to be. Now, do the same thing for one more hour MINUS the combat familiar. Just you. See how much exp you made. You probably made about the same that YOU made the previous hour, but without the added exp the familiar made for you. For me, this usually totals about 4-12k exp depending on what familiar I use and on what monsters.

If I can increase the exp I get by up to 12k an hour with a familiar, then I would say Jagex has every RIGHT to make the skill raise your combat level.

So for God's sake, why don't you equip yourself with some intelligence and maybe research things before you really judge. Something in my gut tells me you don't ever take combat familiars out with you to even know how useful they are.

It's the players today. A lot of them are like you. Ungrateful for the fact that Jagex is constantly making this game easier for them by adding updates such as Summoning, and never satisfied with what they are given.

Go play WOW if that's who you are.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

Trade limit >_< and the combat level update (119 + 10, lolwut they want to teach us how to do math :o)

To trembake:

How do you even play RuneScape with those thoughts?

I mean c'mon give me a break!. Summoning is one of the best updates we've ever recieved, you sat it's training like RC? Well, it is not. You can train Slayer with Summoning, training two skills at the same time, if Summoning was like RC, you wouldn't see people getting 12m summon XP a day (RC's highest being 1m). Most of the familiars are helpful, The Spirit Terrobird, use it on Solo Saradomin, infinite run energy, no more Zilayanas beating the crap out of you, The Unicorn Stallion, one of the best in game, it's special attacks heals as much as a dose from a Saradomin Brew, perfect for monster hunting!. The Steel Titan, why people would use it instead of food? Well, first, if you're a high level prayer who doesn't eat a lot and have pretty good defence, I'd go for more offensive, a ranged attack that hits 4 times? Great for PVP and other stuff, The Yak is simply amazing, 30 extra inventory spaces, could make your trips at Armardyl Boss last hours.

Why giving combat level? Well, everytime you fight with your familiar, as I just said, you fight with your familiar, meaning that you both are a team, so the level adds up, not his level (Because there would be a bunch of lv 200s) but the level that the skill itself does, but I must say that showing combat levels as Level + Summon, looks ugly

So, if you think Summoning was one of the worst, these are the possible reasons:

-You were so focused on the bad aspects (Even though there are not many) that you didn't enjoy the skill

-You don't kill the right monster to get charms, meaning that you either camp at a bad spot, you don't like slayer at all, or you can't afford to do Rock Lobsters

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

I don't get the griping about the graphics update. Sure, it is far too system-demanding for how it looks, but Runescape has and always will be. At least you have the option of playing with standard detail, your argument would be valid if you didn't have a choice but to run HD.

What? It requires a very poor system to run compared to the quality of the graphics.

Requirements are one thing, actually running smoothly is another. I've owned three computers since 2001 and have never enjoyed Runescape running anything better than "modestly". All high-end machines. Tried swapping graphics cards, nothing. Then thought it was Java settings, nothing.

I run 17 brand new HP computers at the library I work at. Kids come in and play Runescape all the time. The best they can handle is high-detail (small), and even that is compromising a lot.

I can run it smoothly with a GeForce 8400GS, and it's not that expensive

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Only for a slight reason apart from the Gnomecopters *shudder*, the graphics update as it makes you run like an idiot with a knife between his legs.Painful.

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Item lending, I hate it how it can be so anonymous... Why couldn't they make it between people who have added each other as friends only? Sure some people might add each other just for the sake of lending, but it would probably greatly reduce the amount of item lending and begging. And also the fact that rares are lendable... Which I strongly disagree with.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Summoning

Lovely concept, got me exited, but it needs ALOT of work. Such as pet AI. Charms are much to hard to get its almost exclusively for higher levels and the Combat familiars just don't cut it when your training.

charms to hard to get? really? oh my bad, god forbid that any skill in runescape is hard to level and is a chalenge. hell no! runescape is supposed to be for 4 year olds who just sit there and bang on the keyboard... [/rant]

but in all reality it should be hard, it goes hand in hand with slayer to give you some perspective. and combat fams are fine, i pay 6k for a fire titan pouch and it gets me ~10k exp in mage, im extatic about that.

but in my own opinion the worst update was probably item lending, so much development time was waisted on that stupid update, i could have had my recious wgs 2 months sooner!

ps. trade limit was set december 10th last year if i am not mistaken...(that means it cant be the worst update this year)

Y_Z.png

[hide=]

You are a disgrace to high levels. How on earth you even have any patience to play Runescape at all with that attitude is beyond me, but Summoning is one of the best updates of the year, if not one of the best updates Runescape has EVER seen.

You may train it like RC, but when using your charms to summon you are able to receive exp at up to 750k exp an hour. So while collecting charms may be time consuming, the actual using of them is rediculously fast. Also, if you were a SMART player, you'd train Summoning alongside Slayer, and then you wouldn't spend a dime on the skill. In fact, you'd make profit. Also, the charm drops aren't as random as most rare drops from boss monsters. They have a steady drop rate. I always make between 50-60 Crimsons every Abyssal Demon task of 150-199. So trust me, hun, they aren't that random.

Yes, sometimes the familiar (they aren't called summons) can interrupt what you are doing, but if you were a good player you'd know the ways to get around that. I'm not going to divulge simply because you don't deserve to know if you haven't already figured them out, but come on, use your head.

Cats were there simply to annoy you when people brought them in. Familiars fight for you, giving them an actual use. Also, yes, one of the only things I agree with you on is the fact that sometimes you don't always click your familiar, but perhaps this could be one of the updates Jagex makes in 2009 like they are talking about. If you want it fixed, tell them instead of griping about it on the tip.it forums.

Summoning gives combat levels because EVERY familiar adds to your combat. You have to be a complete moron not to see it. First off, any beast of burden gives you the ability to hold more food, potions, or armor. This means that while on monster hunts, tasks or in pvp, you are at an advantage over someone who is the same combat level WITHOUT a familiar. Healing familiars such as the unicorn or bunyip are essentially free food and can also be considered insane defense. If you take an average of 8 hp (bunyip) or 12 hp (unicorn) per minute away from the damage a monster or player can do to you, without wasting inventory spots on food, then my god, how can that possibly BE any better? That's an insane ability. If they added a "restore hp x8 prayer" you'd use it ALL the time AND wouldn't have any problems knowing that it's adding to your combat because it's prayer, right?

Familiars should be able to fight in single combat, I do agree. But Jagex has their reasons for doing this. Whether they think it'd be overpowered or that it would make things too easy or what, it's their decision. And most spots when doing slayer that are single combat you'd be better off using a healing familiar anyway.

And to counter your last rediculous remark, did you ever stop think what would happen if Jagex made their defense and hitpoints a lot lower? People WOULD attack them, and they WOULD die, and using a familiar would be absolutely useless.

Familiars were designed to be a COMBAT BOOST, much, much, much like prayer. It means that usually 1 out of every 2-4 attacks against monsters or 1 out of every 3-4 attacks against players will hit, and increase your max amount of damage done that turn. Try this little experiment:

Go to a training spot where you normally can kill over 100 of the monster per hour and take your best familiar. (In this case, your geyser titan) Make sure it is multi-combat. Use your familiar at all times while attacking the monsters yourself. See how much exp you got and how much exp your familiar got for you (meaning, train with melee and use a ranged familiar, aka your geyser) and see how much it totals up to be. Now, do the same thing for one more hour MINUS the combat familiar. Just you. See how much exp you made. You probably made about the same that YOU made the previous hour, but without the added exp the familiar made for you. For me, this usually totals about 4-12k exp depending on what familiar I use and on what monsters.

If I can increase the exp I get by up to 12k an hour with a familiar, then I would say Jagex has every RIGHT to make the skill raise your combat level.

So for God's sake, why don't you equip yourself with some intelligence and maybe research things before you really judge. Something in my gut tells me you don't ever take combat familiars out with you to even know how useful they are.

It's the players today. A lot of them are like you. Ungrateful for the fact that Jagex is constantly making this game easier for them by adding updates such as Summoning, and never satisfied with what they are given.

Go play WOW if that's who you are.

[/hide]

Oh my god! I love you!

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

I'm not going to argue with every single person who actually runs the game smoothly. I don't consider someone with an aftermarket graphics card a realistic representation of your average user. Reiterating my original point: Runescape should run smoother, considering its graphics.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....