Magic underpowered? Think again! ~+~+OVER-HAULED~+~+

warrior5024

Wouldn't Zuriel's staff be best for PKing? Halving attack speed must be devastating.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been watching this thread for a while, but never got around to posting. A great guide, Warrior =D> . Has anyone tried this with Morrigan's thrownaxe? I'm not sure how fast it is, and am too lazy (and broke) to try it with them. If so, it would be devastating. Max 30+54(?)+29=113. Again, a great and insightful guide.

I tried this method a little while ago (not with morrigans axe), and had a hard time with the timing. It looks like when you get that down though, it works wonders.

Been watching this thread for a while, but never got around to posting. A great guide, Warrior =D> . Has anyone tried this with Morrigan's thrownaxe? I'm not sure how fast it is, and am too lazy (and broke) to try it with them. If so, it would be devastating. Max 30+54(?)+29=113. Again, a great and insightful guide.

I tried this method a little while ago (not with morrigans axe), and had a hard time with the timing. It looks like when you get that down though, it works wonders.

It's 5 speed; too slow for the triple stack.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Me and Warrior tried the DFS combo I suggested this afternoon, and it works wonders. All four hits stack in very quick succession, potentially hitting 107.

The DFS combo DOES work, I just need to get around to writing it. Since I'm on a Mac, the video you sent isn't readable, but we'll figure something out.

For anybody who wants to use this, it is totally impractical because of the 2 minute DFS spec wait, but it's fun.

Did some ice blitz combos before, but tried a bit of ice barrage and blood barrage for the theoretic max (30-29). Came pretty close, I must say:

2829magiccombo.png

I hit 30-29 today, but was too late for screeny! FFS! (I only got the second 29)

Heh, my max is currently 28-29 aswell, but it's amazing that you hit 30-29! Keep up the good work and keep having fun.

Wouldn't Zuriel's staff be best for PKing? Halving attack speed must be devastating.

The cost makes it impractical, plus, if your opponent is frozen, why bother with slowing their weapons? I've never used Zuriel/Maismic anyways, but I'm swore off of PK'ing. I've lost to much there.

i liked the video.

have you ever tried this with a dark bow spec? i know its slow, but still.

Tried what with a Dark Bow? I use it more and more now that Dragon Arrows are super cheap. I tend to use two TSC then a Decent of Dragons spec. It tends to decimate most.

Thank you. I immediately tested this out and it works superbly. :thumbup:

Extremely useful strategies and the guide itself is well written.

I'm glad you've found it useful, and I hope you have a much fun with it as I have.

I've personally never used Axes, but LLamster pointed out that they may be to slow. The only weapon that I find to work best is Karil's Cross, but test out whatever you want, maybe you'll find something.

Nice guide (and vid) ::'

I was testing with some other spells when I made the video, all blitz spells are slow, shadow and blood BURST are instant. They are good substitutes for instant spells and for those who don't have 88+ Magic. I had to keep potting to use shadow barrage during the vid, which was annoying :?

Several times I forgot to pot, meaning that I had to use shadow/blood burst instead, and they are decent spells, although a lot less hard hitting.

It was great fun making the vid, thanks to this guide which sparked my curiosity to own without using melee for once. :D

I know that the bursts are instant, but they aren't accurate or hit had enough to really be useful. 88 Magic is when you really get some power. I'll be sure to credit you once I update the guide, you did a marvelous job!

Well, currently I'm getting my Void melee and range back (AGAIN), but after that, I'm not sure what I'm doing. I'll be looking for new places to use magic and new tactics to add. If anybody has any ideas, please tell me. I'm open to anything, and nothing is to crazy for my tastes.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Zuriel's staff is 550k last I checked, less than the 'cheap' master wand that you swear by. Farcasting isn't really practical in PKing anyway; too many pjers from what I've heard.

Well, without farcasting, you might as well not bother using magic, since it is inferior to both melee and ranged in every conceivable way otherwise - even factoring in the slowed weapons.

What? Magic easily outhits melee without farcasting even without miasmic; with miasmic there's no contest. It's way overpowered and should have been nerfed a long time ago.

Yeah, i've tried a bit more since then, but never came close again.

The funny thing is, I hit it aganist some noob who wasn't even surprised, he just said: "59, nice". Guess he didn't know how rare it is to hit that.

Darn, why oh why was I so slow clicking printscrn :(

These combo's do not have ko potential as there is no boost in the damage/second output.

Normal Magic

17-pause-27-pause

Combo

pause-17-27-pause

During the pauses your opponent eats.

Now, if the combo gets your opponent down to 0 health, he cannot eat, as he is dead. With regular casting, he can eat in between both hits, easily healing through them both.

Granted, If your opponent has a high HP, using magic only combos isn't necessary, but it is the only way to KO opponents in food fights with using only magic.

I dunno if I'll be including the DFS combo. It is fun, but very impractical, and the Blessed Spirit Shield is MUCH better then the DFS for Magic.

Picture2-10.png

Well, without farcasting, you might as well not bother using magic, since it is inferior to both melee and ranged in every conceivable way otherwise - even factoring in the slowed weapons.

What? Magic easily outhits melee without farcasting even without miasmic; with miasmic there's no contest. It's way overpowered and should have been nerfed a long time ago.

Meleeing in full karils with a RSC bow as backup has beaten every mage I met quite easily. Warrior can testify that. :P

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Rune Crossbow ::'

Yes, Wachtwoord, you beat me once, but with use of Miasmic spells and my NEW tactics, I reckon I could give you a run for your money. Dark bow, Smoke barrage, and other stuffs I outa add to this guide. (Smoke Barrage truly rocks in terms of accuracy. I've used it against many rangers, hitting consistently.)

Off topic: I fought a level 137 in Duel arena the other day, no movement. I only used magic, no miasmic spells, he used full bandos. He died two honorable deaths. Smoke Barrage FTW.

Picture2-10.png

These combo's do not have ko potential as there is no boost in the damage/second output.

Normal Magic

17-pause-27-pause

Combo

pause-17-27-pause

During the pauses your opponent eats.

Now, if the combo gets your opponent down to 0 health, he cannot eat, as he is dead. With regular casting, he can eat in between both hits, easily healing through them both.

Granted, If your opponent has a high HP, using magic only combos isn't necessary, but it is the only way to KO opponents in food fights with using only magic.

I dunno if I'll be including the DFS combo. It is fun, but very impractical, and the Blessed Spirit Shield is MUCH better then the DFS for Magic.

And you meet those people that don't eat at 40 hp...where?

Those magic combo's don't even come close to what melee and range can do :|

Although I mostly range the triple stack used with my msb i found has a huge scare factor as well as stopping people from running/lowering stats :) bh with no teleports ftw!

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Can the triple stack combo be spammed on a target? I'm not sure, because it involves walking to your target for the hits to properly stack on each other. I mean, what to do when you're getting too close to your target? Do you really have to walk towards to your target for the combo to work, or can you just walk in any direction?

Yes, Wachtwoord, you beat me once, but with use of Miasmic spells and my NEW tactics, I reckon I could give you a run for your money. Dark bow, Smoke barrage, and other stuffs I outa add to this guide. (Smoke Barrage truly rocks in terms of accuracy. I've used it against many rangers, hitting consistently.)

Off topic: I fought a level 137 in Duel arena the other day, no movement. I only used magic, no miasmic spells, he used full bandos. He died two honorable deaths. Smoke Barrage FTW.

Not really a fair comparison; in BH/Worlds a smart meleer would have switched to Karil's/d'hide.

Not really a fair comparison; in BH/Worlds a smart meleer would have switched to Karil's/d'hide.

I hope so... I haven't been in PvP in a while with magic. It's honestly been about two years probably since meleers would actually bring dhides and/or a bow with them. In the hundreds of people I fought w/ magic, none of them came prepared like that - they always preferred to call me a farcasting noob then throw a tantrum, rather than grow up and come prepared

77yLQy8.png

I hope so... I haven't been in PvP in a while with magic. It's honestly been about two years probably since meleers would actually bring dhides and/or a bow with them. In the hundreds of people I fought w/ magic, none of them came prepared like that - they always preferred to call me a farcasting noob then throw a tantrum, rather than grow up and come prepared

Nothing has changed, Ralph. The only difference is now there are plenty of people willing to "Stand up" against mages and rush the hell out of you. Other then that, they are the same: they spec first so they hope to ko you, but then have no KO power left.

Can the triple stack combo be spammed on a target? I'm not sure, because it involves walking to your target for the hits to properly stack on each other. I mean, what to do when you're getting too close to your target? Do you really have to walk towards to your target or the combo to work, or can you just walk in any direction?

I don't have to walk when I use Karil's Cross. Only with obsidian rings, I've found.

Picture2-10.png

Okay, I exaggerated a bit. You beat me too. I wanna challenge these new tactics though, deal?

EDIT: Even though I'm not afraid of smoke barrage, miasmic is frightening me a bit. This makes me looking forward to it even more.

Another note, I'm not trying to disprove the usefulness of magic anyway. I've beaten countless of maxed opponent's in duel tournaments because of smart mage/verac's/ranged use. (Breakdown of tactic: I Start with smoke bar until it hits, then ice bar. If ice bar fails, opponent has probably drawn full ranged out fit by now, so I equip GS and melee until opponent switches to melee, then veracs. As their attack has been lowered by 15%, I probably win. If not, switch to mage again and/or use d bow special.

If ice bar succeeds, I run just out of magic ranged and start ranging with crystal bow. No one else ever brings a crystal bow, so they can never hit me. Crystal bow range on rapid > Rune crossbow range on long. After that, just do the same meleeing as above. I could have easily gotten 2K+ rank this way, too bad req 5 is never open, so I stay under it.)

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif