Magic underpowered? Think again! ~+~+OVER-HAULED~+~+

warrior5024

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rune Crossbow ::'

Yes, Wachtwoord, you beat me once, but with use of Miasmic spells and my NEW tactics, I reckon I could give you a run for your money. Dark bow, Smoke barrage, and other stuffs I outa add to this guide. (Smoke Barrage truly rocks in terms of accuracy. I've used it against many rangers, hitting consistently.)

Off topic: I fought a level 137 in Duel arena the other day, no movement. I only used magic, no miasmic spells, he used full bandos. He died two honorable deaths. Smoke Barrage FTW.

Not really a fair comparison; in BH/Worlds a smart meleer would have switched to Karil's/d'hide.

I hope so... I haven't been in PvP in a while with magic. It's honestly been about two years probably since meleers would actually bring dhides and/or a bow with them. In the hundreds of people I fought w/ magic, none of them came prepared like that - they always preferred to call me a farcasting noob then throw a tantrum, rather than grow up and come prepared

Either way it doesn't make sense to pit a smart mage against a dumb meleer.

These combo's do not have ko potential as there is no boost in the damage/second output.

Normal Magic

17-pause-27-pause

Combo

pause-17-27-pause

During the pauses your opponent eats.

Now, if the combo gets your opponent down to 0 health, he cannot eat, as he is dead. With regular casting, he can eat in between both hits, easily healing through them both.

Granted, If your opponent has a high HP, using magic only combos isn't necessary, but it is the only way to KO opponents in food fights with using only magic.

I dunno if I'll be including the DFS combo. It is fun, but very impractical, and the Blessed Spirit Shield is MUCH better then the DFS for Magic.

And you meet those people that don't eat at 40 hp...where?

Nowhere. It's a good thing magic combos hit up to 62.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

But that chance of 62 is very very small. Much smaller than the chance of someone hitting his max with his AGS.

(if the 2 hits are undependent, the combined chance is the product of both)

Anyway, this guide shows magic has at least some KO power, but in my opinion it's greatest strength still lies in wearing our your opponent rather than ko'ing him.

But that chance of 62 is very very small. Much smaller than the chance of someone hitting his max with his AGS.

Anyway, this guide shows magic has at least some KO power, but in my opinion it's greatest strength still lies in wearing our your opponent rather than ko'ing him.

that's because most people have misinterpreted the thesis of this guide, which is that magic is the most misunderstood combat skill. your typical mage will just farcast and ice barrage. however, a master of magic will use advanced techniques like safespotting and combos. since most people have never heard of the techniques in this guide, most people are still fixated on the whole combo thing. truly, the greatest advanced magic technique is the safespot because that allows you to be invincible for 20 seconds at a time. the combo thing's really just a cool little trick I fooled around with to intimidate opponents and increase my odds of KO'ing w/ magic, rather than have to bust out range.

EVERYBODY - PRACTICE SAFESPOTTING, NOT COMBOING :P :lol:

77yLQy8.png

that's because most people have misinterpreted the thesis of this guide, which is that magic is the most misunderstood combat skill. your typical mage will just farcast and ice barrage. however, a master of magic will use advanced techniques like safespotting and combos. since most people have never heard of the techniques in this guide, most people are still fixated on the whole combo thing. truly, the greatest advanced magic technique is the safespot because that allows you to be invincible for 20 seconds at a time. the combo thing's really just a cool little trick I fooled around with to intimidate opponents and increase my odds of KO'ing w/ magic, rather than have to bust out range.

You really have to show me that sometime. Please answer my PM.

sure I'll add you

time to dust off my wand and see if I've still got it lol

77yLQy8.png

sure I'll add you

We outa go to Pits one day, just give everybody Hell. :lol: Plus, I've found the PERFECT Maging spot in pits: It is both a safespot for trapping rangers, and a vent, so Meleer's can't reach you.

I gotta Agree with Ralph Wiggum (haha) here: Safe-spotting is the most fun, cool, and useful tactic out there. It can be used in BH, most PvP situations, and does make you invulnerable for a nice chunk of time. I was so phsyic'd when I found the safe spot square standings.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

This guide and this guide alone made me choose mage as my next 99 without a doubt, I was thinking about not getting 99 mage this summer, but after re-reading this guide I have changed my mind.

Trying to find a strategey that would work good in large clan wars...

Cant decide between starting with shadow barrage+ ahrims or miasmic barrage.

Then towards the end when less people are left smoke barrage + shadow barrage combo? I didnt want to use ice barrage since nobody else in my clan (that I know of) has read this guide and they all use ice spells :wall:

Or in the very rare case of a losing war finish with blood barrage

Maztrfred.png

I must admit I havent tried safespotting yet because it sounded so horribly complicated and not very practical in most situations. I know it probably isn't once I've tried it, but I still have to. I do feel I will love it though. It's like farming, I was hesistant to try the skill at first because it sounded "complicated" (I laugh with that now), but once I tried it I instantly fell in love.

I must admit I havent tried safespotting yet because it sounded so horribly complicated and not very practical in most situations. I know it probably isn't once I've tried it, but I still have to. I do feel I will love it though. It's like farming, I was hesistant to try the skill at first because it sounded "complicated" (I laugh with that now), but once I tried it I instantly fell in love.

it's simpler than comboing :P

you just lure a player like you'd lure an NPC next to a 1x1 obstacle, freeze them, then move to a nearby location and attack

77yLQy8.png

sure I'll add you

Great, thanks! I'll add you too.

What do you guys think of this spell order? I want to use it once I hit level 88 in Magic.

Ice Blitz > Shadow Barrage > Smoke Barrage > Shadow Barrage > repeat 'til my target becomes unfrozen, then use Ice Blitz again.

(Ice Blitz to freeze, Shadow Barrage to make the damage stack, and Smoke Barrage for its poison and accurancy.)

And one more question, how to make enough money for the runes? My current money making method is GOP, earning me 330k money an hour. Is this enough to cover up the cost of all the runes?

The problem with safespotting is that it's only usable when the opponent is standing next to an obstacle - in about 15 hours of using magic in situations where this is possible, I've only ever accomplished this once. I was PJed almost immediately afterwards.

Comboing, however, is possible wherever you go, and Karil's Crossbow works especially well because of the fact it happens to be a good weapon in its own right, and so you can combine the triple stack combo, normal combos and standard mage/range hybriding.

And you meet those people that don't eat at 40 hp...where?

A question the OP didn't answer.

I didn't think it was necessary, what with all of page 8 being devoted to it.

Magic does have some KO power. That is all combo's show. People have hit 30-29 in one turn, and, as I've heard, you can even hit a 32-30. [wagon] my combo graphs show, most of the hits tend to focus around 24-30 damage per combo. That seems fair, as a whip maybe has a 24 damage average. I always keep magic tab open, so that I can utilize it. The TSC has KO'ed many, especially in duel tournaments. It is very easy to bring an opponents HP down fast with only a handful of spells, then use the combo while the shock factor is still in place. Or, when they thaw and run for you, blitz + Blood combo, it'll knock em down.

The problem with safespotting is that it's only usable when the opponent is standing next to an obstacle - in about 15 hours of using magic in situations where this is possible, I've only ever accomplished this once. I was PJed almost immediately afterwards.

Comboing, however, is possible wherever you go, and Karil's Crossbow works especially well because of the fact it happens to be a good weapon in its own right, and so you can combine the triple stack combo, normal combos and standard mage/range hybriding.

Safe-spotting is easy, and can be used anywhere except duel tournaments. And most fighting now-a-days in PJ'ing anyways, so that doesn't shock me.

What's great about karils is that you can put a magic spell before or after you shoot, confusing your enemy and stacking more hits.

Picture2-10.png

~40 damage doesn not have ko power whatsoever.

Plus magic cannot outeat someone enough to get their hp low enough to have your combo spells work.

In short, magic can only ko when you throw an ags spec in there.

Right, because your way is the only way to PK.

61 Damage (Miasmic + Blood) does have KO potential, as does a Karil's Cross when using the TSC. Dark bow with a Smoke Barrage before can decimate a Safe-spotted ranger, or even magician. Magic short bow spec followed by a Blood Barrage can deal massive damage very quickly.

Don't be so quick to dispell this information. Just because one method works for you doesn't mean that it is the only method.

Picture2-10.png

Just a question, have you ever actually killed people with those combo's, in a PvP/BH world?

Funny enough, it is because of "pk'ers" like you why I don't use these tactics on PvP worlds or BH. Pj'ers, rushers, and the general rest of the PK'ing community make it nearly impossible to have a good 1 on 1 fight, which is how I prefer it. Yes, I've Pk'ed with Magic and honor. Imagine that.

Picture2-10.png

Just a question, have you ever actually killed people with those combo's, in a PvP/BH world?

Funny enough, it is because of "pk'ers" like you why I don't use these tactics on PvP worlds or BH. Pj'ers, rushers, and the general rest of the PK'ing community make it nearly impossible to have a good 1 on 1 fight, which is how I prefer it. Yes, I've Pk'ed with Magic and honor. Imagine that.

I totally agree, nothing beats a fun, exciting and equal hybrid fight. Too bad it's nearly impossible to find those fights.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I totally agree, nothing beats a fun, exciting and equal hybrid fight. Too bad it's nearly impossible to find those fights.

On the few VERY rare occasions that I've gone PK'ing, I've found the best fights in very secluded locations. It's not a sure thing that you'll find a fight, but when you do, it'll be a great fight. I'm talking about hybriding, of course.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

brunokiller wrote:

~40 damage doesn not have ko power whatsoever.

Plus magic cannot outeat someone enough to get their hp low enough to have your combo spells work.

In short, magic can only ko when you throw an ags spec in there.

warrior5024 wrote:

Right, because your way is the only way to PK.

61 Damage (Miasmic + Blood) does have KO potential, as does a Karil's Cross when using the TSC. Dark bow with a Smoke Barrage before can decimate a Safe-spotted ranger, or even magician. Magic short bow spec followed by a Blood Barrage can deal massive damage very quickly.

Don't be so quick to dispell this information. Just because one method works for you doesn't mean that it is the only method.

brunokiller wrote:

warrior5024 wrote:

Wachtwoord wrote:

Morningrise333 wrote:

On the few VERY rare occasions that I've gone PK'ing, I've found the best fights in very secluded locations. It's not a sure thing that you'll find a fight, but when you do, it'll be a great fight. I'm talking about hybriding, of course.

I agree with everyone who isn't brunokiller, an armadyl godsword isn't the only good thing to pk with.... there are many other ways to pk that don't involve using a godsword :!:

Oh ya and great guide I love it (now all I have to do is figure out how to do it effectivly) :thumbsup: 10/10

Didn't put the quotes in seperate boxes because I don't know how to put the "(name) wrote:" in the quote box title thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replys everybody! I hope you all can use this skill with tactics and fun, as I do.

Well, I'm going to be leaving for about a month, so no update from me, but I've asked Muggiwhplar, and he's agree'd to keep this guide in good shape until I return, should there be an update or new tactic ect.

Have fun out there everybody!

Picture2-10.png

Very nice guide, kinda inspires me to get 99 magic lol and I like the stacking idea. If u can do that on meleers they might not even have time to think let alone eat. If jagex new about this they'd nerf it for sure(seems to me they hate magic.)

5/5 guide

spikedude999.png

Going P2P again soon.

edude999"]Very nice guide, kinda inspires me to get 99 magic lol and I like the stacking idea. If u can do that on meleers they might not even have time to think let alone eat. If jagex new about this they'd nerf it for sure(seems to me they hate magic.)

5/5 guide

They do know about it. At one point a few weeks ago, there was a bug where they didn't stack, but then Jagex changed it back.