Magic underpowered? Think again! ~+~+OVER-HAULED~+~+

warrior5024

i tried the triple stack combo but it simply wont work >_

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tried the triple stack combo but it simply wont work >_<

I remember doing it years ago when staking was around. I just tried it again and it doesn't seem to work for me either. The instant spells seem to be taking longer to hit than before..

It all has to do with when your hits show up compared to someone else. In a fight, one of you will be hitting as soon as the whip swings, while the other will be hitting as soon as the whip swing hits them. It's the same with instant spells -- an instant spell may take a while to show up or it may show up instantly. It's very annoying, I know. So the TSC will not work always, but a trick that helps it, is to run closer to him then throw the obby ring then do the blood barrage.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Man, after reading this I wish I had a real mouse, and not this stupid laptop touch pad -.-

However great guide!

Now how can I convince ROSF, (don't judge me!) people to accept that PvP magic is not underpowered without being able to link to this :-k.

Oh on a side note, on ROSF a Jagex mod said he was going to talk to the dev team about magic. He was replying to a thread that talked about magic not getting updates, costing to much, and being underpowered :lol:! Lets hope that they improve all those things :thumbsup:

Prism_Swords.png

Man, after reading this I wish I had a real mouse, and not this stupid laptop touch pad -.-

However great guide!

Now how can I convince ROSF, (don't judge me!) people to accept that PvP magic is not underpowered without being able to link to this :-k.

Oh on a side note, on ROSF a Jagex mod said he was going to talk to the dev team about magic. He was replying to a thread that talked about magic not getting updates, costing to much, and being underpowered :lol:! Lets hope that they improve all those things :thumbsup:

It's still underpowered.. I don't think you'd ever ko with it o_O

In response to Walka, the TSC won't always work. It is very tricky to pull off but, as Lite stated, running towards the opponent helps. Just keep practicing, you'll get it eventually. However, unless your enemy is praying/armor swapping very quickly, I'd suggest just sticking to normal magic combos.

Which CAN be used to KO, despite what Night states. It is tricky, and you need to be a bit lucky but, as you see in the Combo Graphs (1.4), most hits tend to focus toward the 27-30s, and combine that with a few high hits, and your opponent is down. In duels or Clan Wars, I tend to only use three combos on one person before they are dead. Magic is not under-powered: it just needs a way to be considered in combat while fighting from long distances.

Well, I changed the Combo charts to graphs, making them much easier on the eyes. Hopefully they will be used, I liked the data they showed. I made one for the TSC, but, because of it's different hits, it made it very hard to graph: I was working with over 20,000 hit combinations. Perhaps if I get requests I will pull it out, but, as of now, it seems rather pointless.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

In response to Walka, the TSC won't always work. It is very tricky to pull off but, as Lite stated, running towards the opponent helps. Just keep practicing, you'll get it eventually. However, unless your enemy is praying/armor swapping very quickly, I'd suggest just sticking to normal magic combos.

Which CAN be used to KO, despite what Night states. It is tricky, and you need to be a bit lucky but, as you see in the Combo Graphs (1.4), most hits tend to focus toward the 27-30s, and combine that with a few high hits, and your opponent is down. In duels or Clan Wars, I tend to only use three combos on one person before they are dead. Magic is not under-powered: it just needs a way to be considered in combat while fighting from long distances.

Well, I changed the Combo charts to graphs, making them much easier on the eyes. Hopefully they will be used, I liked the data they showed. I made one for the TSC, but, because of it's different hits, it made it very hard to graph: I was working with over 20,000 hit combinations. Perhaps if I get requests I will pull it out, but, as of now, it seems rather pointless.

As soon as you mage anyone in PvP they put protect from magic on and eat whenever their HP is not full, forcing you to switch styles. Also could you comment on the slow/instant spells, I believe that the speed of the instant spells is now slower than it was before, I used to do your 'triple stack combo' alot, now I can't make it work.

^That's why you hybrid. If they bring out mage defense, annihilate them with melee/range.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

• 2 weeks later...
Also could you comment on the slow/instant spells, I believe that the speed of the instant spells is now slower than it was before, I used to do your 'triple stack combo' alot, now I can't make it work.

That may be true, looking at old staking videos, but I wouldn't know for sure. All I can tell you is I've preformed the combo many recent times with success, and I can do Barrage combos as effective as blitz. Perhaps they are a bit slower, but it is still duo'able.

Nice guide :thumbsup:

May I ask you a few questions in pm?

YEs, you may. But if it could be any help to others, I'd rather have you ask here.

Picture2-10.png

You've seen this:

You can also queue up one to cast while the current spell is being performed.

And would it change anything?

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

You've seen this:

You can also queue up one to cast while the current spell is being performed.

And would it change anything?

I suppose this is on RSOF for how magic will be changed. It sounds likes Combos might be able to be auto-casted, but maybe I'm reading and interpreting it wrong. Seems rather trivial anyways, as Ahrim's staff is a better choice for PK'ing with risk, and master wands are the very best and cheap.

Look what I found on YouTube :o

ZO3tTajbqnM

Thank you, and I need to thank the creator of this video! This is what my Guide has needed for awhile!

Picture2-10.png

This doesn't increase the powers of magic at all. It stays underpowered. You can use magic only as a secondary (support) skill, just like summoning and prayer. Trying to use it as primary attack is suicide.

1. Damage stack illusion

If you use a magic combo, you may see two hits at same time. However, you are still using the time for two attacks (remember to count the time used for the slow spell) to hit the opponent two times. With a melee or range double hit special you are using the time for one attack to hit the opponent 2 times. With a special attack you do not need to delay to deal the next hit immediately.

slow spell: ----hit

fast spell: hit----

combo: ----hit|hit----

two slow spells: ----hit|----hit (No difference from the combo, except the timing of the damage. Both options let the opponent eat about two times.)

normal melee attacks (DDS): 1hit---|1hit---|1hit---

special melee attacks(DDS) : 2hit---|2hit---|2hit--- (You can eat about once during a special or normal attack.)

2. Other flaws

Magic combos require perfect timing. Melee and ranged specials require just clicking the special bar.

When using combos you need to click spell, find the target (hard if it's crowded) and click it. With specials you just click the spec bar.

When using combos you are focusing away from eating more than with special attacks. This can get you killed. Also, you'll need to bring more kinds of runes, which reduces the amount of food you can carry.

This doesn't increase the powers of magic at all. It stays underpowered. You can use magic only as a secondary (support) skill, just like summoning and prayer. Trying to use it as primary attack is suicide.

1. Damage stack illusion

If you use a magic combo, you may see two hits at same time. However, you are still using the time for two attacks (remember to count the time used for the slow spell) to hit the opponent two times. With a melee or range double hit special you are using the time for one attack to hit the opponent 2 times. With a special attack you do not need to delay to deal the next hit immediately.

slow spell: ----hit

fast spell: hit----

combo: ----hit|hit----

two slow spells: ----hit|----hit (No difference from the combo, except the timing of the damage. Both options let the opponent eat about two times.)

normal melee attacks (DDS): 1hit---|1hit---|1hit---

special melee attacks(DDS) : 2hit---|2hit---|2hit--- (You can eat about once during a special or normal attack.)

2. Other flaws

Magic combos require perfect timing. Melee and ranged specials require just clicking the special bar.

When using combos you need to click spell, find the target (hard if it's crowded) and click it. With specials you just click the spec bar.

When using combos you are focusing away from eating more than with special attacks. This can get you killed. Also, you'll need to bring more kinds of runes, which reduces the amount of food you can carry.

You kind of proved our point - magic is underpowered unless you're skilled enough to use it. It's lethal when you master the timing of spells. Since most people who you're fighting have little combat skills and simply sit back while their character automatically dishes out high hits (and occasionally having the burden of switching weapons for a special attack), most people are easy to kill and take advantage of since they really don't understand the combat system as much as they should.

Look at my duel tournament score for example - I did all of my duel tournaments when I was 70 defense and 94 magic. All of my opponents had maxed stats since I had to compete in the highest level tier. Yet I still continued to win tournaments and boost my score...

77yLQy8.png

Is Ahrim's set really good enough to justify not using a Master Wand and Mage's Book (or a shield for range defense) under normal circumstances? I notice you weren't using a shield in one of your pics where you used a Master Wand, so were you switching in Ahrim's Staff?

EDIT: And is a 3rd age ammy useful with Ahrim's set, or is a fury still better? I mean, your defense is going to be abysmal either way, so the extra magic attack might help. This is for safe PVP of course...

You kind of proved our point - magic is underpowered unless you're skilled enough to use it. It's lethal when you master the timing of spells. Since most people who you're fighting have little combat skills and simply sit back while their character automatically dishes out high hits (and occasionally having the burden of switching weapons for a special attack), most people are easy to kill and take advantage of since they really don't understand the combat system as much as they should.

Look at my duel tournament score for example - I did all of my duel tournaments when I was 70 defense and 94 magic. All of my opponents had maxed stats since I had to compete in the highest level tier. Yet I still continued to win tournaments and boost my score...

Magic requires skill (trickery) but melee and ranged don't require as much, therefore magic is underpowered.

The amount of skill required should be equal for all classes.

A skilled player will usually beat unskilled players. Because magic is so weak, the amount of skill needed is so much that it is better to stick with more powerful melee and ranged.

Of course it is easy to kill (lower level) melee players who are only trying to flee and don't even make an attempt to attack you, and you get lucky to not be jumped in middle of the fight (farcasters can be jumped even on single area).

A thought occurred to me today - is it at all possible for the Dragonfire Shield's firebreath attack to be used in or before the TSC? Since AFAIK it doesn't use up an attack turn, with good timing you could probably get all 4 hits to land at once - if the opponent isn't praying, a one hit kill is theoretically possible. Even failing that, you could probably use the firebreath attack as a substitute for the rsnged attack, since it can't be blocked by prayer (to my knowledge).

EDIT: Just been using magic again - it seems that all spells have been made slow. Shadow barrage, smoke barrage and blood barrage no longer hit instantly when casted, and even when I was the furthest possible distance away, blitz still hit well before barrage did.

EDIT: Just been using magic again - it seems that all spells have been made slow. Shadow barrage, smoke barrage and blood barrage no longer hit instantly when casted, and even when I was the furthest possible distance away, blitz still hit well before barrage did.

You made my heart jump when you said this. I some my runite ores, grabbed some runes, and tried this. They still work fine for me, smoke and ice barrage are SLOW spells though. Blood and Shadow are the only instant.

And concerning the DFS, I'm not sure about that. It would be interesting to see, perhaps you or I could try it?

PS: I'd love to update this guide on TS forums, but the account review I sent in JAnuary still hasn't come back. Would you mind A) Posting this new one, or B) Help me get an account?

The amount of skill required should be equal for all classes.

A skilled player will usually beat unskilled players. Because magic is so weak, the amount of skill needed is so much that it is better to stick with more powerful melee and ranged.

Really? You think so? I can kill both rangers and warriors with Magic. Even en-mass. You have to pay for the advantage, and Magic is the only combat skill that actually takes skill.

Of course it is easy to kill (lower level) melee players who are only trying to flee and don't even make an attempt to attack you, and you get lucky to not be jumped in middle of the fight (farcasters can be jumped even on single area).

This is the only problem I can find with Magic: You aren't considered in combat when you aren't being hit. I dunno how Jagex could change that, but it is the only reason why I don't go into BH with only Magic.

Picture2-10.png

You made my heart jump when you said this. I some my runite ores, grabbed some runes, and tried this. They still work fine for me, smoke and ice barrage are SLOW spells though. Blood and Shadow are the only instant.

And concerning the DFS, I'm not sure about that. It would be interesting to see, perhaps you or I could try it?

PS: I'd love to update this guide on TS forums, but the account review I sent in JAnuary still hasn't come back. Would you mind A) Posting this new one, or B) Help me get an account?

I'm not sure why it wasn't working last night, but this morning I went and tried spell combos again - they seem to work as usual, including the TSC. But they were definitely hitting at ice barrage speed yesterday.

You'll have to try the DFS and see how practical it is to use - I can't afford one.

I can't do anything about your account review, since Qeltar has shut down the main site now, and I don't know if he'll be managing the forums or if somebody else will be taking however. However, if you like, I'll repost it myself and update it as necessary.

By the way, I added you in game - my RSN is Ekarderif.

Nice guide (and vid) ::'

I was testing with some other spells when I made the video, all blitz spells are slow, shadow and blood BURST are instant. They are good substitutes for instant spells and for those who don't have 88+ Magic. I had to keep potting to use shadow barrage during the vid, which was annoying :?

Several times I forgot to pot, meaning that I had to use shadow/blood burst instead, and they are decent spells, although a lot less hard hitting.

It was great fun making the vid, thanks to this guide which sparked my curiosity to own without using melee for once. :D

i liked the video.

have you ever tried this with a dark bow spec? i know its slow, but still.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]