Runescape Classic: An Insight. Share your experiences!

Poopingman

Does anyone remember when we called chaos, nature, cosmic etc as "new runes" long time after they added them.

Yea, remember that one. Wasn't it till like 2003 when some of us started calling them new runes or what? :P Also recall Bluerose selling rare smithables (addy squares, kites, later rune squares, hatchets etc) for deals that were like "600 new runes, no cosmics". Don't remember exact amounts but I remember how I used to hunt for these precious things to get my first addy shields :P

Does anyone remember days when you needed to click pickaxe and then rock? and if you misclicked rock, your pickaxe dropped on ground and you couldnt pick it up if someone else was standing at same spot...which caused often "plz guys move, i dropped my pickaxe"

Good old days when mining was still mining. Also wasn't the pickaxe a right clickable item at first? I remember getting to around 79 (high 70s at least) mining on the "old" mining where you had to use a pickaxe on the rock.

Its pity that there is no screnshots from those "mule" marches that high level miners and smithers did sometimes...10 mules marching was always funny to see ;)

But there are pics of mule trades :P Here's one badly cropped pic where you can see it along with other interesting topics, including PoH related.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/hohtava/vanhoi/old ... eneral.PNG

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Hohto nice screenshot...love the thread in there about "Carpentry/Building skill". Jagex got us all excited in those days talking about POHs. If I remember right they had the east side of Falador reserved for such an idea, but the game got too big. The whole carpentry craze continued with people speculating being able to build barricades and stuff in Wildy for a tactical advantage. That would have been neat, in hindsight...

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Wow Hohto nice screenshot...love the thread in there about "Carpentry/Building skill". Jagex got us all excited in those days talking about POHs. If I remember right they had the east side of Falador reserved for such an idea, but the game got too big. The whole carpentry craze continued with people speculating being able to build barricades and stuff in Wildy for a tactical advantage. That would have been neat, in hindsight...

Varrock was also reserved for pohs. I also remember rumours of Wanderers collecting 1m or so gp in order to buy the Falador castle. I earlier wrote a small thing about the poh's to other forums. Here it is, read if you can be bothered.

So, when Jagex a while ago released construction and player owned houses, they also fullfilled one promise they had done in 2001. We were supposed to get player owned houses to Falador and Varrock but with a bit different concept. Currently our houses are "in the middle of nowhere", but back in then it was supposed to be a bit like in real life: you buy it from place X and it's there.

Here's a map picture of the Runescape after Asgarnia was released but before we had p2p. Many banks were missing, we had no mining guild, Edgeville was still called Ghost Town and so on.

runescapeworldmapbefoerol4.gif

One reason for removing the player owned houses before they were even really released was that Ultima Online (one of the biggest online multiplayer games back in then) was suffering from problems caused by their housing system: all the good places were full of houses and the houses were going for big bucks in eBay. With this kind of system Jagex should have extended their maps a lot every now and then, every place would have been full of lvl 26's with their newbish cottages and it would have been one major thing why the game's growth could be stopped.

When construction came, people were mad how expensive it is to train. Yea, that's right, they were mainly released to drain off some cash from the game and stop inflation a bit. However in 2001 people hoped them to be something totally different. The Wanderers (the one and only clan in RS history that can be said to be full of legends) for example were said to have gathered 1 million gp from their members to purchase the rumoured Falador castle. Everyone who played back in then knows that 1m gp in 2001 was a lot harder to gain than now starting a totally new character and then working with it to buy a blue phat.

When you look at it now, it was a good thing that we got our own houses a lot later and with a totally different concept than was planned. The rs market would be totally different with houses ruling it, we'd have 1 skill less and 1 more half-discontinued (depending how much Jagex would have expanded the area and number of poh's) more.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

I remember the days of RSC... But I started in Autumn 2002, so I haven't been with the good/bad fad. :lol:

Skilling was very much harder, even cooking was using every simple piece of food on fire or range.

The cook x came later, skilling was hard as hell.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

• 5 months later...
I remember the days of RSC... But I started in Autumn 2002, so I haven't been with the good/bad fad. :lol:

Skilling was very much harder, even cooking was using every simple piece of food on fire or range.

The cook x came later, skilling was hard as hell.

Correct, its important to note that everything was a click-by-click affair, perhaps we take for granted the "cook X" function or the character automatically mining until the ore is obtained. That used to require a click every time!

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

One of my favorite things to do in classic was attend the drop parties in upstairs varrock museum! There was almost always a drop party going on, I tried to go as often as I could to try and snag some lob or ore certs :D

Was never too good at it though :P

oilertaych6.gif

[Admin Edit: Religious text Not permitted]

~108 combat~

5.9k dusties killed / dragon chain :D

One of my favorite things to do in classic was attend the drop parties in upstairs varrock museum! There was almost always a drop party going on, I tried to go as often as I could to try and snag some lob or ore certs :D

Hated telegrabbers at partys

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Hated telegrabbers at partys

Ya

I wasn't one of them...

:-w

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

a very fascinating read, I joined runescape in '05 so I had little knowledge of the old days. I never realized how annoying skilling was :shock:

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

started in early spring of 03,

go to around 74 combat & 850 total,

chose to keep my bank in rs1 during the switchover, so I started rs2 with the only things that were in my inventory - an r2h and 50 laws.

one of the stranger things that i loved about rs1 were all those bearded-lady autoers.

(hohto and meili each have many many pictures of rs1 on the websites in their sigs, if people are interested in other screenshots)

Haha, the entire glitch with bearded women was a scream in general.

I remember the bearded ladies! That's the ONE thing that made me think RSC had cheats. :lol:

Runeman231.png

GESig.gif

I have a friend who stopped playing RS just after party hats were dropped. I told her I played Runescape and she was like 'what class are you'... [garden tool]-ly CRAP. She feels oooooold now... hahahaha. And might even come back just to go :shock: at how much has changed.

... How many skills and quests were there around the time phats/crackers were dropped?

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

I have a friend who stopped playing RS just after party hats were dropped. I told her I played Runescape and she was like 'what class are you'... [garden tool]-ly CRAP. She feels oooooold now... hahahaha. And might even come back just to go :shock: at how much has changed.

... How many skills and quests were there around the time phats/crackers were dropped?

:lol: what class are you, now that's a question you don't get very often regarding runescape :P

disturbeda.png

anyone remember a rumour about a ingame office where offending players would be teleported to for a ticking off by a jmod.?? well it kept me in line. but i always wanted to go there

well just recently i had a chat ingame with paul and i asked was the office a myth or real.

paul stated the office was real but no player ingame knew where it was due to the windows being blocked out.he reveled to me its location ......feel free to guess.........ill repost later how halloween masks came into the game bit devious on my part but what funny times we had back then

burrrppp

Wasn't it upstairs Varrock or Al Kharid Tame? I have quite a few rsc pics I could post on here. I will edit this thread in a bit with a few pics of my own and some I have found just around.

f26c5v.jpg

29frurl.jpg

243kj8o.jpg

nwklcx.jpg

(None of the below are mine, I just found them online.)

fk1eup.jpg

29aps3c.jpg

5mmght.jpg

mu8uma.jpg

2h3zcrr.jpg

14j6hhz.jpg

sglovm.jpg

not much gets past you drew yes the ingame office was above the palace in al karid. nice pics

i started playing after easter 2001 it mitght have been after the easter egg drop.long before rc became a skill i think there was only 2 possibly 4 servers at the time .i made my cash in wildy telegrabbing nats and comunicating with up to 60 players that would sell me ther runes.i gave good deals knowing they would comeback to sell more. inturn i would sell my runes to memmbers who would come to vorrok world 1 to buy. here i met rainbowdolph brother to angel queen who became my rune buyer. i would acumulate vast amounts of runes in very short times and gained a reputation within the small merch comunity. one trade rainbowdolph offered for my runes was 20 white phats with a prediction one day these will be worth millions lol i declined wanting cash as i was 24/7 funding smithing.

in 2001 as halloween was getting closer the rs population was buzzing as to what will be the next holiday drop so lmao

me and manxy2 decided to manipulate what would be dropped and 2 months before the drop we started to pm our frends saying if u see a halloween mask seller ill buy it for 5 million. soon we were in vorrok "buying halloween masks" and selling to eachother a item that did not exist yet after each sale we would say wow thanks and run out of vorrok fast or log out. frends would pm me have you a mask yet i would always say i just sold one lol so we kept up the pretence.

the week before the drop the whole off vorrok merch market was buying a item that did not exist some nights my ribs were sore with laffing the demand was massive everyone wanted one. everyone belived they existed yet in 2 months no one had seen one .

it was easy back then to predict almost to the hour when the drop would happen so i placed a few chars( lmao i wont go into numbers) in the wildy and got myself a lot of halloween masks.

no player was scammed or hurt to my knolage during this con :D

burrrppp

I dont really remember much about rsc since i probably played it for maybe 3 weeks.

I would have started alot sooner. My friend showed me the game and i wanted to sign up, but my computer wouldnt load rs LOL! The old rs!!

Started playing 2 months before the beta came out, and i never left lumbridge (in rsc) because i would always get lost. I would have to get my friends to come save me and bring me back to lumby.

One time i left lumbridge though, and started getting attacked! And because of the 3 round thing i got ko'd by the highway man and lost all my tutorial items.

Didnt know how to get them back so i created a new account (the one i am currently playing on).

Seems like a long time ago, i would have been in grade 6 so i would have been, 11?

killa870yt.png

Started RS sometime in '03. I still remember trading my Dragon Med for a Red Partyhat. Also losing said hat to a tank mage 'cause I was young and stupid/cocky. :oops:

Anyone remember the withdrawal limit on GP from your bank? Something like 1500 or something if memory serves. That was a pain to pay for any mid to higher priced items...

Here you go. The interface for when you created your character.

Classic_create.jpg

<- Seems to be a pretty good video of the basics of RSC. It's not too old as seen from some items worn in the video (Legends Cape for example), still a good video though. I didn't watch it all the way but it brought back a lot. :)

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png