Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[answered] Can I trust download.com?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

MrM0n
[ Display Name History ]

MrM0n

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 25 posts
I saw someone mention downloading photoshop on the site, but is it safe? Err and legal?

pureprayer
[ Display Name History ]

pureprayer

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,968 posts
Normally its uploaded by the creator and says its spyware free so I trust it.

AlexDT
[ Display Name History ]

AlexDT

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • RSN:Alex D T
Cnet is totally trustworthy. However, downloading Photoshop is certainly illegal. I doubt they even have it available for download, it would have been flagged.

Gandorf61
[ Display Name History ]

Gandorf61

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,669 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Gandorf61
You can download a trial of 30 free days from anywhere which is legal. (CNET aka downloads.com is very trustworthy)

However to get the full version you have buy a serial code or obtain it through other means which I will not mention or recommend to anyone as it would be illegal if you do not pay the adobe company.

For the newest version of photoshop you can download a trial for free off adobe.com. (30 days) They also have other products you can download free trials for and then you have to buy them.

wioneo
[ Display Name History ]

wioneo

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,410 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:wioneo
Pretty much what everyone else said, but make sure to read the reviews because some programs have useless fluff added in.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 405~46 Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,8 Legs,9 Spear,2 D2h,8 L Half,49 Boots,2 Skirt,2 DDs,9 Lump,8 Claws,56 Dagger,13 Visage,74 Mace,4 Scimitar,2 Hasta,Baxe,51 Long,29 Royal,2 Kite,Ward,Plate,Staff,Hammer
GWD: 151~4 S Staff,72 Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,3 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,Z Boots,B shield

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 3~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl + GWD2: 6~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots 

Etc: 57~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,6 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,4 Rider Armor,4 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,Blood Shard,5 Hydrix,Gland

Capes

Laura
[ Display Name History ]

Laura

Cor Aut Mors

• Members
  • 3,425 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
CNET is an owned company, it's very trustworthy.
Posted Image

forestfrolic
[ Display Name History ]

forestfrolic

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • RSN:D----U----X
  • Clan:Lady Heinous.
Yeah. You can trust it. And it's just a 30-day free trial. All legal.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

JoeDaStudd
[ Display Name History ]

JoeDaStudd

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,464 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:joe da studd
Try GIMP instead of photoshop. Its completely free and can do pretty much everything photoshop can.
Drops
Stats

pryomancer
[ Display Name History ]

pryomancer

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,561 posts
If you don't intend to go into graphic design as a career choice, then GIMP and other open source programs are a good alternative choice.
Posted Image

Dracion1
[ Display Name History ]

Dracion1

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,499 posts
I have tons of stuff from there, it's completely safe :)
Posted Image

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

MrM0n
[ Display Name History ]

MrM0n

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 25 posts
Thanks for all the answers guys :D .

forestfrolic
[ Display Name History ]

forestfrolic

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • RSN:D----U----X
  • Clan:Lady Heinous.

If you don't intend to go into graphic design as a career choice, then GIMP and other open source programs are a good alternative choice.

Not to keep your already-answered thread alive but..

Why is GIMP better than Photoshop? Is it just more user-friendly?
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

blade995
[ Display Name History ]

blade995

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Everybody says Photoshop is better than Gimp (and I agree). Photoshop is $700 while Gimp is free. Obviously the free product is better because I don't need to drain my wallet of $700 (or $1000 for the extended version).
Posted Image

compfreak847
[ Display Name History ]

compfreak847

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

It's not, at all. If you can't afford 70$ for Elements it's a very distant 2nd. It has nothing of the polish and automatic tools (moving heads in GIMP is a huge chore; elements outline tools and color matching selections make it a couple minutes work) of Photoshop.
Posted Image
Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29
GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots
Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

pryomancer
[ Display Name History ]

pryomancer

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,561 posts

It's because professional design companys use Photoshop, it's the industry standard. A company wouldn't employ someone who can't use their most vital software, they would employ someone who has experience with Photoshop, not GIMP or Paint.net etc.

I personally think the UI on Photoshop is 1000% better than GIMP.
Posted Image

dsavi
[ Display Name History ]

dsavi

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,868 posts

It's not, at all. If you can't afford 70$ for Elements it's a very distant 2nd. It has nothing of the polish and automatic tools (moving heads in GIMP is a huge chore; elements outline tools and color matching selections make it a couple minutes work) of Photoshop.

I don't know why anyone would pay for PS elements. GIMP is far better than it.

If you do intend to go into graphic design, GIMP is a great choice. You don't need to start on a 700$, RAM-hogging program. The learning curve of going from the GIMP UI to Photoshop's is absolutely flat. And if you try graphic design for a few months and it doesn't work out, you've just wasted 700$ on a program that you won't ever really use.

C2b6gs7.png

pryomancer
[ Display Name History ]

pryomancer

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,561 posts
I'd never pay for PS Elements, I hate it.

I agree that the UI between GIMP and Photoshop are similar because they do the same job, but a company will always pick someone with, for example, two years of Photoshop experience over someone with 5 years of GIMP.
Posted Image

Gandorf61
[ Display Name History ]

Gandorf61

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,669 posts
  • RSN:Gandorf61
I tried GIMP once and found it really confusing and hard to use. For me Photoshop just seems a lot easier.

Photoshop is just more professional and a bit more powerful. I little on the expensive side but if that is going to be your career choice every penny is worth it. If you are just an average student GIMP would be a better choice.

evil_mumm_ra
[ Display Name History ]

evil_mumm_ra

Retired TET Leader

• Members
  • 3,017 posts
  • RSN:evil_mumm_ra
  • Clan:TET
i use GIMP for a lot of things, although recently i came up with something i didn't know how to do in gimp, but it could be done in photoshop. so i was all set to download the photoshop trial, and i found out i could do the same thing just as well in ifranview. i'm gonna stick with the gimp/ifranview combo for now.
WOO TEXT! updated Jan 19, 2009 (last quote)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users