My brother has no taste in music

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

So my brother is a complete idiot when it comes to music. I'm playing some Opeth right now and he says to "turn that screamo crap off, it's just pig squeals and crap." He calls all metal (regular, death, power, anything) emo music and laughs at it. Then he listens to absolutely nothing but classic rock, meaning he plays The Doors all day. So yeah, I need some way to open his eyes to the fact that he is completely wrong and get him to shut up about the music I listen to, because of course he believes he is right. For now, the only was to shut him up is by threatening to but on some grindcore, which really doesn't work well as he doesn't even know what it is.

Play some 70's era rock like King Crimson (avatar) or play some of the Opeth songs with acoustic guitar and "normal" singing. I don't listen enough to know the names of those songs in particular, but they're on Blackwater Park.

I think you both need to learn how to compromise. Not everyone likes metal and not everyone likes rock music you both have different taste and you can't just force someone to enjoy your genre of music. I enjoy some folk rock bands like Fleet Foxes and my brother doesn't care for them, so when I know when we both are going to listen to music together or something I wont play them just out of respect that he just doesn't like it. Its all about compromise, learn it and it will do you good!

tFtfA.jpg

What seems to be the problem here is that you're ignorant to what your brother thinks. Respect his opinion because his taste in music does not adversely affect you. What does opening his eyes to different music styles have to do with his taste? Just like he doesn't enjoy the harder metal type of music, you will dislike music genres such as Country (I don't know you, so I don't know if

you like Country or not, it's just an example :lol:)

As I continually try to stress in the music sub-forum, there are different music styles suited for different types of people. I for one am suited towards the R&B and popularized music, but I've adapted in such a way where a little bit of each music finds its way onto my iPod :mrgreen: There's been so much mud-slinging in this forum where people automatically assume that their own style of music reigns supreme over the others, but that's the wrong and ignorant ideal.

Again, be mature and don't try to force your brother or anyone else for that matter because your perceptions of taste in music is completely different.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

umm ok.

What kind of metal you listening to. He might be right.

Bands he has called "emo/screamo crap" or "satanic"

Adagio

Between the Buried and Me

Death

Demons & Wizards

Dream Theater

Edguy

Hammerfall

Into Eternity

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Lamb of God

Megadeth

Motorhead

Opeth

Pantera

Slayer

System of A Down

While some may be somewhat right, it's kind of ridiculous and annoying.

@infam0us, i'm not trying to force my music on to him, im trying to get him to stop whining and complaining about what I listen to and incorrectly labeling it then being as stubborn as a mule on his views.

You shouldn't make threads just to moan about your brother's taste in music. Despite his ignorance about metal being "emo", there's no reason to argue with him. Music taste is a subjective thing, and as far as I'm concerned classic rock is just fine and some is even excellent.

Well that's the point I'm trying to get at. In your first post you described your brother not appreciating your type of music, and you automatically label him as an idiot when it comes to music. The wrong decision made by you was to get upset and to threaten him to blast music in ears, you shouldn't get so upset over trivial things. As I said, people have different tastes. I've shamelessly listened to a Jonas Brother's song in public, so what? :mrgreen:

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

That sounds like me. That kinda [cabbage] scares me, man. It kinda does sound like a pig being slaughtered, accompanied by a million flying warhorses playing electric guitar, and a tornado made of drums. I do understand that you guys like it, though. And if I say one thing incorrectly about the infinite minuscule differences between genres, I get punished. :c

I like classic and indie rock more now, though ... With other things, like jazz and blues thrown in ...

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Get a bunch of Rick Roll's,rename them so they're the songs he listens to,and replace all his normal songs with them.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

umm ok.

What kind of metal you listening to. He might be right.

Bands he has called "emo/screamo crap" or "satanic"

Adagio

Between the Buried and Me

Death

Demons & Wizards

Dream Theater

Edguy

Hammerfall

Into Eternity

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Lamb of God

Megadeth

Motorhead

Opeth

Pantera

Slayer

System of A Down

While some may be somewhat right, it's kind of ridiculous and annoying.

@infam0us, i'm not trying to force my music on to him, im trying to get him to stop whining and complaining about what I listen to and incorrectly labeling it then being as stubborn as a mule on his views.

IMO I would call that gothic music. The genrism of music ha.

@infam0us911 Jonas Brothers :wall: :shame:

tFtfA.jpg

@infam0us911 Jonas Brothers :wall: :shame:

Shame on infam0us911 :shame:

I feel the same way :(

That sounds like me. That kinda [cabbage] scares me, man. It kinda does sound like a pig being slaughtered, accompanied by a million flying warhorses playing electric guitar, and a tornado made of drums. I do understand that you guys like it, though. And if I say one thing incorrectly about the infinite minuscule differences between genres, I get punished. :c

I like classic and indie rock more now, though ... With other things, like jazz and blues thrown in ...

Will I be banhammered if I say +1? >_>

Apparently we have no taste in music either.

And Motorhead is a [cabbage] band. Just throwing that out there.

p2gq.jpg

I agree with your brother on not liking them. I listen to classic,folk, and hard rock. But not metal. I think metal is a bit of a disgrace to music, though I like System of a Down and Metallica.

And yes. It does sound like a pig getting slaughtered.

And tell him emo went out two years ago.

lampost_sig_stark.png

Just call him a hippie when he's getting on your nerves and move on. There's not much you can do to change a person's mind about music if they've already been exposed to it.

My brother is worse. He listens to [cabbage] rap.

When he comes in I just blast Amon Amarth.

And just dont give a [bleep] what he thinks and laugh at whatever he says. Works for me. :lol:

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

It's called get a pair of headphones. Buy some isolation headphones so you can't hear him and he can't hear what you're listening to. My Mom got frustrated when I used to live at home (considering my band practices there as well) so I bought them out of consideration. My roommate particularly likes me having them. Besides, it will probably sound better than crappy computer speakers anyway.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I'm glad that my brother got his taste in music from me. We listen to exactly the same music :D

Same here. And I got my taste from my dad. It's even started rubbing off on my mom and littler siblings.

You gotta realize OP, that Music goes straight to the heart it's played. So people usually defend their music valiantly, and shout down all others. You just need to realize, the sun ain't gonna fall outta the sky if he hates those "awesome" bands, I dislike them myself. People in life will have differing opinions than you, and sometimes you gotta deal with it. My dad blasts, literally blasts Steely Dan and other such of that kind of music in my house. If I EVER hear the girl from Ipanema (sp?) I'll go crazy. But you know what? him liking that kind of music doesn't make him an 'idiot,' as you call your brother that, it makes him a normal human being who doesn't like the same kind of music I like. Sometimes you just gotta compromise, and turn down your music.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I'm glad that my brother got his taste in music from me. We listen to exactly the same music :D

Same here. And I got my taste from my dad. It's even started rubbing off on my mom and littler siblings.

I started liking REM because me dad played it so much. :lol:

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

My brother is worse. He listens to [cabbage] rap.

When he comes in I just blast Amon Amarth.

And just dont give a [bleep] what he thinks and laugh at whatever he says. Works for me. :lol:

Hahah, look at this post... it's so edgy. Keep on ragin' against the machine.

Seriously, is this whole thread some sort of elaborate troll or are you all really just a bunch of dumb children?

2009rb9.jpg