Mount & Blade: You conquer castles and stuff!

Azvareth

If you want to try out mods, Brytenwalda just unleashed a new version that is amazing.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad to see this thread back.

I played as a vassal for the Nords for the first year or so of gametime, building up an epic army etc..., then spent the next year up until now starting my own kingdom. All Rhodok territory, plus some Swadian and former Khergit territory are mine.

I love RPing it though, it feels like you're writing history as you play, even more immersive during the beginning of your new kingdom when you're fighting for survival against a vastly superior force. Special RP ability goes to Hero characters. Ex. When I was working for the Nords, we were defending the then Nordic city of Veluca. Alayen was in my party, and when my army started to lose (we were outnumbered by like 700-100), I imagined he was now known to the Nords as the Hero of Veluca. When my empire controlled the city much later, I thought it only fair to give it to him.

Also, elite armies ftw. Besides epic heroes (Jeremus has greatly upgraded healing abilities and Lezalit training abilities), I have a total of 100 guys, made up of Swadian and Vaegir Knights, about 20 Sword Sisters, Sarranid Mamlukes, all elite cavalry units.

@Giordano, fighting other cavalry is hard, for me at least. I would recommend getting practice in horse archery.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I really wanted to start my own empire, but I'm something like 750 days in and all I got are 2 fiefs, no castles. If I just bail out of my vassalage, I assume it'll be even harder to get a castle, not to mention my army is topped at 145 men.

16185_s.gif

I really wanted to start my own empire, but I'm something like 750 days in and all I got are 2 fiefs, no castles. If I just bail out of my vassalage, I assume it'll be even harder to get a castle, not to mention my army is topped at 145 men.

If you leave, I think those fiefs go back to your vassal leader too. My friend got Shariz under Rhodok vassalage and lost it when he became indepednent. :sad: But seeing "The Kingdom of Lordaeron" on a castle was worth it (for me, at least :razz:)

I've actually chosen Nords but I will do a Khan bandit-free lancer type thing later on. My first goal is to get decent Rhodok spearmen, to kill Swadian cav with. Then, get the King's favor and get fiefs!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Oh, so I might as well just quit the faction now... How do you go about getting vassals for your own empire? Is it even possible? It seems crazy hard to defend much land by yourself.

16185_s.gif

Oh, so I might as well just quit the faction now... How do you go about getting vassals for your own empire? Is it even possible? It seems crazy hard to defend much land by yourself.

Yeah your companions can be your vassals.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Ah i was going to bump this the other day but forgot.

I brought Warband last week and I've become utterly addicted to it. I'm loving it over the original for various reasons. Firstly the animations are much smoother and realistic looking. Secondly, the shading is much nicer, cloth and leather actually look like they should. And Thirdly, the world map seems to work better, especially with the new factions. It is just 100% better than the original game. And I haven't even tried multi-player yet!

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Yeah your companions can be your vassals.

So, you lose their skills?

Well, I guess I could be done with some of them, but I wouldn't want to lose my surgeon-first aid-wound treater.

Also, anyone uses Polished Landscapes?

That's some fine graphical mod.

Pics related:

8ij5fyk.jpg

h51rxu3.jpg

16185_s.gif

The only problem with graphical mods for me (apart from not having a fast enough laptop to run them) is how confusing things get with so much grass. I'm a cavalry player and zooming past infantry in waist high grass, I end up missing all of them. It does look lush though. It's times like these I wish I had a good powerful computer.

Make sue you have good relations with any lord you accept into your kingdom because being fair with feifs can annoyingly make you very unpopular with the Lord who gets the first share, as any that doesn't go to them makes them upset. That's why I like to prioritise companions because they start liking you already.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

I tried playing it, but I just couldn't get into it.

I had no idea where I was supposed to go/what I was supposed to do.

I had no idea where I was supposed to go/what I was supposed to do.

Jesus_facepalm.jpg

It's a sandbox game lol

I understand that, but I...like...didn't know what to do. I know you're supposed to build an army and level your character but I didn't really know where to go to do that.

Yeah, I'll try again.

When I played I recruited some warriors and that was about it. I tried finding bandits and I couldn't find any. I tried training at the arena but I didn't think I was really training my stats.

Yeah, I'll try again.

When I played I recruited some warriors and that was about it. I tried finding bandits and I couldn't find any. I tried training at the arena but I didn't think I was really training my stats.

The whole point of the game is raising an army and beating the [cabbage] out of everyone. Basically, you can recruit people at towns, and level them up through fighting. The beginning is quite hard because pretty much all bandits can beat you. Since you don't have much to lose, don't be afraid to wander off to wherever you want in search of bandits to beat.

Fights will also give you renown, which is useful for being able to have a bigger army and getting known in the factions, which eventually will want to have you as a vasal.

Also, if you're playing Warband, there's a short quest that should give you some experience on how the game works.

16185_s.gif

I always used the training fields to train my troops by sparring with a couple of them at a time. A few rounds of this and you should be able to upgrade some of them. More experience if you sic them on some looters. There really is a kind of slow progression, and I'll admit the game does start out kind of slow.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Yeah, I just started my own kingdom. Had 140 units when I left, captured the easiest castle I could find, with around 90 units in it. It's in a three way frontier, and I'm in war with one of those. Actually, they are all on war with each other, so they mostly ignore me. Now I have a vasal with 40 units who I no longer know where he is, 90 units in my garrisson and another 100 with me, constantly training and adding more to the garrison. I gained a lot of lost interest in the game, it's actually fun again.

16185_s.gif

Maintaining your own kingdom must be overhelming. The friend I was talking about earlier had to take constant brakes from it. :razz:

siggy3s.jpg

I personally got through it by picking on the weakest kingdom (though still pretty tough at that time), and focusing only on taking ITS territories. Even that was overwhelming, I couldn't imagine fighting more than one at a time.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Yeah, my friend's picking off the Sultanate while they're at war with Rhodok. Unfortunately, his castles are very far apart and not sure how he manages to keep routes open. But oh well.

I've started a Khan alongside my Nord, and questioning if I should get a shield or a pike since I'm also an archer.

Basically: Sword+shield vs. Polearm+sword(/+shield) ?

siggy3s.jpg

I tried it again and it's actually pretty fun.

I fought some bandits and did some quests and now my character is level 2.

I'm only playing the demo though, can't afford the full game because I blew a lot of my money on a new power supply.

I personally got through it by picking on the weakest kingdom (though still pretty tough at that time), and focusing only on taking ITS territories. Even that was overwhelming, I couldn't imagine fighting more than one at a time.

This. I picked on Swadia because

a) Swadian units offer quite variety, and I already had 90 veteran horse archers to station in the garrison, as well as my vassals would use knights, which is pretty badass

b) I had already pissed them off because when I got out of the Khanate we were in war, and they remained hostile to me

c)Swadia's territories are very fractioned in my game, and they only have 3 castles and a city close by, so they aren't much of a threat

It's impossible to fight more than 1 kingdom at a time when you stand alone. The biggest problem, though, is when they declare war to you. You can't really do anything in that possition, because at any time they might just pop up with 1300 units and rape your [cabbage].

16185_s.gif

The arena is probably the best way to make money early on if you are good enough. If playing warband, go to a town with a feast as tournaments re-open multiple times during the feast saving walking time. Warband can be brought quite cheaply now btw, I think I got my copy for £9.99

Currently playing Native expansion, it is so fun, the troop trees are just so much bigger and fleshed out. Also allows you to field larger armies yourself. Having a 240+ army can be fun.

zqXeV.jpg