PMods - Purpose or Status?

Guest jrhairychest

There are two things here....firstly getting a role of pmod through reporting is dreadful, for what it is and when it is achieved through nought but button clicking. And for those personalities, hiding the crown is likely to be devastating as it removes any recognition of status.

Second, what would be the point in hiding the crown? And those pmods that say they would like to hide the crown are indicating they would prefer a 'hidden' role of reporting????? Now that is really stinky! And if those pmods are trying to say they already act to the new role, then they would keep the crown surely. Hmmmm.....some interesting contradictions here. :^o

In the new model of pmods, I would hope they would be there to advise and offer support, so there would be no point in hiding the crown. Although with respect to some of Est0rrath's comments, any experienced player could fulfil those kind of roles (including reporting). But a recognised personality would be and should be immediately accessible to any player. :pray:

35cq0q9.png

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two things here....firstly getting a role of pmod through reporting is dreadful, for what it is and when it is achieved through nought but button clicking. And for those personalities, hiding the crown is likely to be devastating as it removes any recognition of status.

Second, what would be the point in hiding the crown? And those pmods that say they would like to hide the crown are indicating they would prefer a 'hidden' role of reporting????? Now that is really stinky! And if those pmods are trying to say they already act to the new role, then they would keep the crown surely. Hmmmm.....some interesting contradictions here. :^o

In the new model of pmods, I would hope they would be there to advise and offer support, so there would be no point in hiding the crown. Although with respect to some of Est0rrath's comments, any experienced player could fulfil those kind of roles (including reporting). But a recognised personality would be and should be immediately accessible to any player. :pray:

What I like about this post is the fact you're looking at the player element of things. Getting this from reports was never going to happen. I think this has been realised from the shift in focus to the 'personality' as you eloquently put it. Est0rrath's 'get lucky' point also true - Any monkey can do it and they did get lucky (I find this quite distasteful). Dealing with players and having that 'personality' is a completely different ball game. Take a look through this post and look at the 'personalities' of those who identified themselves as pmods or those who claim to support them. You can then judge for yourself.

My answer: hell yes. The crown stands out too much. Can't speak for anyone else but I'd jump at the option to hide it.

what would be the point in hiding the crown? And those pmods that say they would like to hide the crown are indicating they would prefer a 'hidden' role of reporting????? Now that is really stinky! And if those pmods are trying to say they already act to the new role, then they would keep the crown surely. Hmmmm.....some interesting contradictions here.

I would like you to at least elaborate on your statement in response to the points I raise regarding status and the 'crown' symbol, even if you are unwilling to respond to other debate issues raised by the author of this thread.

35cq0q9.png

Pmods can do there job without a crown!

Why do they need it then?

Well this is the difficulty, the way I see it....if pmods are to take on a much broader role, to be 'leaders of the rs community' if you like, then people need to know who they are. To ask advice, get support, maybe even to be part of organising an event. Now this isn't necessarily for me, I'm quite happy looking information up and am not interested in clan activities. However I can see the need in that instance for some form of identification.

With regard to my earlier post, I do however take umbrage at those previous pmods having a crown when their role was no different to what any player could do, as you stated previously. Hence my query, and I would like a_local_guy to respond as he would like to hide the crown, which I think is highly questionable.

35cq0q9.png

Because a lot of time speaking leads to either complete strangers adding me to ask all sorts of questions that range from game help to rule help and often to do things that Jagex customer support should be in charge of, or just asking me on the spot. For example I spoke to a friend in Edgeville once and ended up carrying 3 different conversations.

I am not in it for the status. The status is an annoying side effect of the purpose. One that I would rather not have. You do have a good point about the new role but I'm used to the old one :lol:

Because a lot of time speaking leads to either complete strangers adding me to ask all sorts of questions that range from game help to rule help and often to do things that Jagex customer support should be in charge of, or just asking me on the spot. For example I spoke to a friend in Edgeville once and ended up carrying 3 different conversations.

I am not in it for the status. The status is an annoying side effect of the purpose. One that I would rather not have. You do have a good point about the new role but I'm used to the old one :lol:

I don't mean to be rude but isn't that why we can set our chat to friends/off? Even if it is going to be for a few minutes/days.

howlin1eeveesig.png

I am not in it for the status. The status is an annoying side effect of the purpose. One that I would rather not have. You do have a good point about the new role but I'm used to the old one

I am astounded! Do you realise what you have actually said?

-You have stated you don't like strangers adding you - so switch to friends chat #-o

-You don't like questions being asked that you think Jagex can answer - so direct people to the right place!

-You don't like questions being asked on the spot - well you should try being more knowledgeable or direct players to where the answer may be found

-You don't like talking to more than one person at a time - is this because you find it difficult? or that you only like speaking to certain people?

-You prefer the old 'reporting' role, because that is what you're used to! - So much for Darwin's theory of evolution, we've just regressed to neanderthal man

Wow!!! The only positive here is that you are being honest. So why on earth are you a pmod? The only undeniable thing left is status, yet you wish to hide the crown because of the above reasons. That would mean surreptitious reporting and that is completely unacceptable :shame:

I would say that you have nicely summarised the entire argument for why players have issues with pmods, this is clear evidence for jrhairychest's argument against the previous pmod role! =D>

35cq0q9.png

I am not in it for the status. The status is an annoying side effect of the purpose. One that I would rather not have. You do have a good point about the new role but I'm used to the old one

I am astounded! Do you realise what you have actually said?

-You have stated you don't like strangers adding you - so switch to friends chat #-o

I have to constantly add and delete names because of the 200 name cap. I don't want to be stuck with a certain group of names.

-You don't like questions being asked that you think Jagex can answer - so direct people to the right place!

You mean that actually works? Over the summer I had a guy that kept asking me questions that I could not answer, and each time I pointed him in the right direction. Do you know how few people even know what the knowledge base is? Why try to find out when there's an "admin" right there?

-You don't like questions being asked on the spot - well you should try being more knowledgeable or direct players to where the answer may be found

See above. Plus when I want to relax with friends, I want to relax with friends. Not answer questions that should be obvious. I shouldn't have to explain that.

-You don't like talking to more than one person at a time - is this because you find it difficult? or that you only like speaking to certain people?

It is difficult to carry on three different conversations at once in public chat. I am not the fastest typist, and if several lines are coming at me at once it does get overwhelming. You should try it before making assumptions.

-You prefer the old 'reporting' role, because that is what you're used to! - So much for Darwin's theory of evolution, we've just regressed to neanderthal man

I should be able to get used to a system that was just announced after being involved in it for three years? Darwin stated that evolution takes a long time. A few weeks is not a long time.

Wow!!! The only positive here is that you are being honest. So why on earth are you a pmod? The only undeniable thing left is status, yet you wish to hide the crown because of the above reasons. That would mean surreptitious reporting and that is completely unacceptable :shame:

Really? I like keeping to myself, and I'm not in it for the status, therefore I must be in it to silently and stealthily report others? Does that make sense? No, it just means that I like to keep to myself.

I would say that you have nicely summarised the entire argument for why players have issues with pmods, this is clear evidence for jrhairychest's argument against the previous pmod role! =D>

You and he argue the same way. You jump to conclusions that support your arguments with minimal evidence. I say I like to keep to myself, I cite why, and in the end it means that I surreptitiously report.

You and he argue the same way. You jump to conclusions that support your arguments with minimal evidence. I say I like to keep to myself, I cite why, and in the end it means that I surreptitiously report.

Well as you are aware from my previous post with a direct quote from Jagex, reporting was clearly stated as being the 'encouraged role' of pmods, so thats not no much an opinion as a carefully drawn conclusion.

However that aside, everything in my post still stands as it is your own words I have used and that is now providing undeniable evidence that previous pmods served no useful purpose, on top of those examples given by others, therefore achieving that role or wanting it, was all about status. I also should point out that those other debators have expressed equally strong opinions in support of the key theme of this thread.

35cq0q9.png

I have to constantly add and delete names because of the 200 name cap. I don't want to be stuck with a certain group of names.

No the point was made to switch your private chat to friends to stop people adding you.

You mean that actually works? Over the summer I had a guy that kept asking me questions that I could not answer, and each time I pointed him in the right direction. Do you know how few people even know what the knowledge base is? Why try to find out when there's an "admin" right there?

Its your job! Your role of a mod is to guide and direct. How are you going to survive in the new era of community focus???

See above. Plus when I want to relax with friends, I want to relax with friends. Not answer questions that should be obvious. I shouldn't have to explain that.

Yes you should. You assume everyone has the same knowledge when people need help and guidance, not when you can be bothered. Considering you told me you were selected for the type of player you were this is a good eye opener into the previous selection process.

It is difficult to carry on three different conversations at once in public chat. I am not the fastest typist, and if several lines are coming at me at once it does get overwhelming. You should try it before making assumptions.

Deal with it, like we all have to.

I should be able to get used to a system that was just announced after being involved in it for three years? Darwin stated that evolution takes a long time. A few weeks is not a long time.

I thought you didnt go around reporting? And according to Jagex and pmods who posted on here, youve been aware of it for months. You said that this was only lip-service and that is was to make mods look good. Youre being completely contradictory.

Really? I like keeping to myself, and I'm not in it for the status, therefore I must be in it to silently and stealthily report others? Does that make sense? No, it just means that I like to keep to myself.

So how you going to survive with a new community focus? Youve already proven with your attitude that youre not exactly the most helpful pmod ever.

Considering her(?) approach, I think Erewhon2 has put forward much more intelligent posts than you or I, and she demonstrates she actually reads things. Ive gone off what you have said in previous posts and information from Jagex (which you laughingly dispute). You also proved your unwillingness to accept any argument by refusing to deal with points in question, and more disturbingly, refusal to condemn any pmod caught in the act of abuse of power.

Its pretty clear you also have acceptance issues over the new system and are unwilling to evolve with it. Hiding away wont help you any more. Its time to start dealing with people, being more helpful, less of the reporting and more patience with players who arent knowledgeable.

No the point was made to switch your private chat to friends to stop people adding you.

And yet if I did that I would be out of luck if someone I actually wanted to contact couldn't. I've had it where I took a friend's name off because I hadn't seen him or her in months and the next day s/he showed up. It isn't uncommon.

Its your job! Your role of a mod is to guide and direct. How are you going to survive in the new era of community focus???

My job is to answer every question that I'm asked? I do that. It's annoying when I have to answer it several times even after "directing someone to the right place". The job description was never to act as a portable knowledge base.

Yes you should. You assume everyone has the same knowledge when people need help and guidance, not when you can be bothered. Considering you told me you were selected for the type of player you were this is a good eye opener into the previous selection process.

I do assume that everyone has the ability to look in the knowledge base. I answer their questions when they don't do so anyway. That doesn't make it less annoying.

I have been for several years.

I thought you didnt go around reporting? And according to Jagex and pmods who posted on here, youve been aware of it for months. You said that this was only lip-service and that is was to make mods look good. Youre being completely contradictory.

Where in my post did I say I went around reporting?

So how you going to survive with a new community focus? Youve already proven with your attitude that youre not exactly the most helpful pmod ever.

I've proven that I'm not helpful in a debate about whether pmods aren't in it for the status? Funny, I thought I was trying to defend the mods.

Considering her(?) approach, I think Erewhon2 has put forward much more intelligent posts than you or I, and she demonstrates she actually reads things. Ive gone off what you have said in previous posts and information from Jagex (which you laughingly dispute). You also proved your unwillingness to accept any argument by refusing to deal with points in question, and more disturbingly, refusal to condemn any pmod caught in the act of abuse of power.

Abuse of power? The mod told a guy off. Anyone can do that. It takes no power.

I also do answer posts with more than the same response. You have been accusing me of disputing Jagex for almost every post. I have answered that each time (with an exception). Who is unwilling to accept any argument?

Its pretty clear you also have acceptance issues over the new system and are unwilling to evolve with it. Hiding away wont help you any more. Its time to start dealing with people, being more helpful, less of the reporting and more patience with players who arent knowledgeable.

I'm not even going to answer this.

I have to say that is doesn't matter how you put it, the issues still stand with regard to your unacceptable attitude to being a pmod. A lot of the answers I have given in response to your statements are just common sense, but you are continuing in your attempts to justify why it is 'ok' to be a poor pmod. So lets try this again......

And yet if I did that I would be out of luck if someone I actually wanted to contact couldn't. I've had it where I took a friend's name off because I hadn't seen him or her in months and the next day s/he showed up. It isn't uncommon.

We all have to deal with this, whats the problem with it? It's not your fault they haven't been playing for months, people expect to be deleted. or if you don't wish to delete them, delete someone else.

My job is to answer every question that I'm asked? I do that. It's annoying when I have to answer it several times even after "directing someone to the right place". The job description was never to act as a portable knowledge base.

Yes it is your job, you do not have to be a portable knowledge base, but being patient and responsive is not too much to ask.

I do assume that everyone has the ability to look in the knowledge base. I answer their questions when they don't do so anyway. That doesn't make it less annoying.

See above.....

Quote:

I have been for several years.

So have we all, nothing new there. My best effort, was 4 friends chatting, 1 cc and 3 public chats at once, quite proud of that one lol. So get real, its how rs is.

Where in my post did I say I went around reporting?

You didn't read the post from jrhairychest properly

I've proven that I'm not helpful in a debate about whether pmods aren't in it for the status? Funny, I thought I was trying to defend the mods.

This goes back to my point at the beginning of this post, as an anology, this is like defending your right to drink even though it makes you violent. You don't have the right to defend a poor attitude when you are expected to be responsible and a role model for other players.

Abuse of power? The mod told a guy off. Anyone can do that. It takes no power.

There are other examples in this thread, including a video of some appalling behaviour from a pmod, who reported every single person that spoke.

Its pretty clear you also have acceptance issues over the new system and are unwilling to evolve with it.
I'm not even going to answer this.

Of course you're not.......

You do have a good point about the new role but I'm used to the old one

Can you see it yet? I am starting to feel a little repetative, my responses are as a player of rs who had/has certain expectations of pmods. I am disappointed that you cannot see the obvious and continue to argue the case for the right to be an 'ordinary and anonymous' player....so I ask again, why be a pmod?

35cq0q9.png

If you ask me, the whole pmod community thing is just jagex's way of saying, we don't want wannabe mods.

There could be quite a lot of truth in that. I think if you want to get the pmods you want you need to branch out and tell players 'we want you!' to those players that you want. I could never see how you could get decent players who played the game but could have been decent pmods by measuring them by their reports. Those who love playing the game hardly need to report.

But, non pmods can still organize events, i don't see why organizing an event as a pmod would be any different from a non pmod, why do you need a crown?

Jagex, for some reason still wants pmods and there is no getting away from this. Most if not all would not do it unless they got some recognition for it i.e. 'Whats in it for me?'. Its a reward, hence it entices players who want it, hence they want the status. Under the new system at least they will look at the player and reward them for who they are rather than what they report. In the end if we at least stop recruiting some of the garbage that I've seen and recruit some decent pmods I would be happy with it. You never know we may end up with Pmods with both a useful purpose and a status they deserve by earning it a little more tastefully.

If you ask me, the whole pmod community thing is just jagex's way of saying, we don't want wannabe mods.

There could be quite a lot of truth in that. I think if you want to get the pmods you want you need to branch out and tell players 'we want you!' to those players that you want. I could never see how you could get decent players who played the game but could have been decent pmods by measuring them by their reports. Those who love playing the game hardly need to report.

They didn't really go with what you said though. They gave an open invitation to everyone who uses the forums. I know at least two people that would deserve it but probably won't get it. What they want in a mod may not be what the rest of the community thinks they should be (Chances are I'm evidence of that :lol: ).

They didn't really go with what you said though. They gave an open invitation to everyone who uses the forums. I know at least two people that would deserve it but probably won't get it. What they want in a mod may not be what the rest of the community thinks they should be (Chances are I'm evidence of that :lol: ).

Everyone who uses the forums is an invitation to anyone who plays RS. Just because players may not use the forums often, doesn't mean they won't apply.

I think they've been pretty clear in their post about what they want. Somehow I think the pages of posts on this issue on the RS forums confirm it. If you follow the new guidelines you never know, you might actually do a good job.

If the community doesnt think pmods are picked properly, then theres something wrong.

By the way, what are you on about with the whole open invitation thing.

Agreed. I think theres some reluctance to change issues going on here. By the way heres the link to the thread inviting people to submit themselves for consideration as pmods. Explains the open invitation comments.

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?103,104,0,59341959

edit - Wow 547 pages of applications at time of writing lol.

It would be immpossible for there not to be mods who are in love with their crown. The crown as a symbol has many powers. It can instill fear, awe, respect, hatred and so on in many players. Many players look up to the crown, and many look down. There are even some rare people who can talk to someone with a crown as if they are actualy a player. So many players see the crown as a manifestation of authority that it would be hard to immagine not one mod being attracted to the power of their position.

What the crown actualy is, is an ID badge. It basicly says that for all things rule based, this player actualy knows what there talking about.

Many mods however, see the crown not as a symbol, but as a tool. The crown goes a long way to difusing a tense situation if the mod can choose the right words. It can distract people so well that a political conversation thats about to turn into a verbal nuclear war will stop dead in its tracks. The crown can call BS on scammers.

But the crown is also cursed. In pvp, the crown is basicly a huge bullseye sign. People drop what there doing to go kill the mod. People will hate mods because they see them as authority figures, so the crown attracts loads of harrasment to it. It hinders normal conversation. Finding people who can actualy talk to a mod as if there was no crown is not a common event, instead you get flamed, questioned, and your own personal army of suck-ups. And then theres the questions. Its a wonder mods don't all mute anyone who asks: Whats a mod or How did you get modded or Whats it like to be a mod. If a mod flys off the handle after that sort of question its probably related to their being asked that question 50 times already that day.

There are MANY mods who would love to be able to turn the crown off, so as to play the game with some normalcy. Many mods are diven to have a second charecter to get away from the questions. Sure thats not the same as giving it up entirely. Partly thats an emotional bond, but partly being a mod without the crown would pretty much hinder everything a mod does but report and mute. It would also allow everyone to claim they are a non-crowned mod (which is probably why they cant hide them).

There are mods out there who only care about status yes, but so many more mods who are more than that, better than that.

As for the changes to mod selection. Its important to understand just how unimportant reporting was even before the update. Yes, it counted, but accuracy was, and still is, many times more important that reporting quantity. What the change has done is allowed people who are really active in the community a better chance at being modded. The change has basicly been that Jagex is more open about the proccess, just as they are being more open about mods themselves.

As for speaking through chat, not even the mods are in love with that, probably beecause people keep telling them to shut up. The colution would be to go to another chat tab (I think that works), or just ignore them. The ignore list does silence them.

Why are they needed? Specificly looking at the mute, there are two major situations where a mute is more practical that ignoreing. The first is personal information. Some people are not smart enough to know not to give away their home address, or whatever else could be used to find them. Basicly, the person is not likely to ignore the person asking the questions, so preventing the qiestions from being asked is helpful. This goes the other way too. Are you going to ask where someone lives and then ignore them incase they answer you? The mute can also protect people by stopping them from spilling their life story.

Theres other examples but what it comes down to is the intended purpose of teh pmods mute is not to punish, but protect. It also serves to take things that have no place in the game (solicitation, racisim) out immediatly.

Alot of pmods are driven by a desire to make the game a better place, not oppress fellow players.

It would be immpossible for there not to be mods who are in love with their crown. The crown as a symbol has many powers. It can instill fear, awe, respect, hatred and so on in many players. Many players look up to the crown, and many look down. There are even some rare people who can talk to someone with a crown as if they are actualy a player. So many players see the crown as a manifestation of authority that it would be hard to immagine not one mod being attracted to the power of their position.

What the crown actualy is, is an ID badge. It basicly says that for all things rule based, this player actualy knows what there talking about.

Many mods however, see the crown not as a symbol, but as a tool. The crown goes a long way to difusing a tense situation if the mod can choose the right words. It can distract people so well that a political conversation thats about to turn into a verbal nuclear war will stop dead in its tracks. The crown can call BS on scammers.

But the crown is also cursed. In pvp, the crown is basicly a huge bullseye sign. People drop what there doing to go kill the mod. People will hate mods because they see them as authority figures, so the crown attracts loads of harrasment to it. It hinders normal conversation. Finding people who can actualy talk to a mod as if there was no crown is not a common event, instead you get flamed, questioned, and your own personal army of suck-ups. And then theres the questions. Its a wonder mods don't all mute anyone who asks: Whats a mod or How did you get modded or Whats it like to be a mod. If a mod [blocked due to abuse] off the handle after that sort of question its probably related to their being asked that question 50 times already that day.

There are MANY mods who would love to be able to turn the crown off, so as to play the game with some normalcy. Many mods are diven to have a second charecter to get away from the questions. Sure thats not the same as giving it up entirely. Partly thats an emotional bond, but partly being a mod without the crown would pretty much hinder everything a mod does but report and mute. It would also allow everyone to claim they are a non-crowned mod (which is probably why they cant hide them).

There are mods out there who only care about status yes, but so many more mods who are more than that, better than that.

As for the changes to mod selection. Its important to understand just how unimportant reporting was even before the update. Yes, it counted, but accuracy was, and still is, many times more important that reporting quantity. What the change has done is allowed people who are really active in the community a better chance at being modded. The change has basicly been that Jagex is more open about the proccess, just as they are being more open about mods themselves.

As for speaking through chat, not even the mods are in love with that, probably beecause people keep telling them to shut up. The colution would be to go to another chat tab (I think that works), or just ignore them. The ignore list does silence them.

Why are they needed? Specificly looking at the mute, there are two major situations where a mute is more practical that ignoreing. The first is personal information. Some people are not smart enough to know not to give away their home address, or whatever else could be used to find them. Basicly, the person is not likely to ignore the person asking the questions, so preventing the qiestions from being asked is helpful. This goes the other way too. Are you going to ask where someone lives and then ignore them incase they answer you? The mute can also protect people by stopping them from spilling their life story.

Theres other examples but what it comes down to is the intended purpose of teh pmods mute is not to punish, but protect. It also serves to take things that have no place in the game (solicitation, racisim) out immediatly.

Alot of pmods are driven by a desire to make the game a better place, not oppress fellow players.

Your first paragraph really answers the debate. Status symbol.

If pmods find the crown such a burden they can always demod themselves. But alas, its losing power isn't it and they wouldn't want that.