PMods - Purpose or Status?

Guest jrhairychest

I did read them...there a point to that remark? Sure anyone can stand there and whinge about it, or spend the time better getting the ingredients yourself. Which is more common sense? I don't feel the need to stamp my feet on the issue. Its going to be dealt with so as far as I'm concerned, that's that.

And I dislike the idea that the fix was not preceded by something smaller to combat it, or at least a word of warning about it.

Good advice or scam? Jagex have specified this is difficult to prove. Thats why instead of trying to cure the problem they want to prevent it being able to happen in the first place. Thats much better than trying to go around banning people. So no, I disagree as Jagex are quite correct in the burden of proof.

Then may I ask you what else they might be doing with such a system?

I wouldn't keep relying on wiki as no-one trusts it. I know what pyramid selling is but the trouble is still the burden of proof. I also know that to get into this type of thing needs a reasonable amount of cash, that no 'green' player would have. So players go into it knowing exactly what they are doing. If they lose out, its their problem. If their cash happens to go into my pocket, even better. Its also good advice to have patience on buying items until the price drops again, which it inevitably does.

I remember a story of people going on a boss trip, yet most of the team was unable to get supplies for it because they were unbuyable.

The kinds of players that would get into this are the ones that have a smallish amount of starting cash and are tempted to increase it. They target the players who have no idea it's a scam. That's why spreading information is good.

But you could still do it, despite the timescale. You can go out and get anything (rares excepted). Its our own laziness that prevents us all from doing so.

If I want a guthan or dharok set and they're being bought out, I have to barrow until I get all four of those pieces. That would take weeks, if not months, of nothing but barrowing unless I get lucky. And by then the buyout would have ended. It's not laziness, it's how impractical it would be to do this.

No, I think you're trying to justify your purpose, and I think its more you trying to convince yourself, not me.

Yeah, that's why I'm posting it for you.

I see a pmod who directs a lot of harsh words at Jagex, the ones who made him a pmod. You complain about them not doing things right away, not changing things at all and you also deny what they say.

I complain about them not doing enough. I'd have been happy if at least they posted the contents of the merchant clan thread in a more accessible place. As it stands I had to be pointed to it before I knew it existed. My denials come from knowing a bit more about the system than the average player, and being in a debate where such a denial matters.

I'd say you're a very angry man with Jagex because they said some things that you didn't want to hear, and perhaps they now consider you a liability. If you were all doing the job that you say you do (community stuff was a definate no-no before they changed it) they would feel no need to change things and left them as they were.

Were you paying attention to any previous posts I made? The community involvement Jagex was proposing is what the moderator community had been doing since before I joined, and that was three years ago. I gave examples of clanchats that they made for that purpose.

Before, you felt you had a purpose in reporting players for this that and the other, and maybe you loved that power and the status it gave you. Now, its all being taken out of your hands.

You're struggling for a reason to exist apart from a glorified game guide.

A glorified game guide is what I have been for three years. I've answered far more game questions than I've sent reports. A great many people have questions, only some people broke the rules within my sight.

In time with more pmods, you'll become more diluted so your status won't even be noticed.

Cool. As I've said repeatedly, I'm not in it for the status.

You've never really come up with anything sufficient to dispute what Jagex have said, and neither has anyone else who supports the pmod case.

To you, who will not be convinced regardless of what we post.

The sheer irony of all of this is, I'm the one defending Jagex about these and other issues, and you're the one doing all the attacking. Shouldn't have this been the other way round? :-k

I've been thinking the same thing...

I do it because I think the community deserves better, what about you? May not be so different... :lol:

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your reports are less "trusted" simply because of the limitations of the system. It's not possible to give priority reports to everyone. I honestly have no idea exactly how the selection system works, but it's obvious that if everybody has priority reports, then nobody has priority reports.
All reports should be given equal weight! Reports should be treated as though they are 'complaints', the same as for any organisation, Jagex has to decide how to prioritise them once they are in, not by who sends them!!!! And that is why my point about 'importance' I don't see pmods as more important than I am, however it appears they do and so do many young and impressionable players and this is not acceptable. Pmods are players who pay their monthly membership the same as me.

As for "why take up the offer," I'm serious when I say it's a case of why not. For something like whether to put your head in an oven, there's an obvious con in that you will probably die. (Or if the oven is off, then at least that it probably smells funny and there's nothing exciting to look at in there.)
Erm.....my point was not meant 'literally' lol. It was meant just because someone asks you to do something, you don't do it unless you have some reason, even if its to make yourself happy. "Why not" is an opt out, especially when we are talking about something like this. It's what a teenager would say when asked out on a date, rather than admit they really want to go out with that girl/boy.

What insidious effects exactly are you talking about here? Any negative effects I can think of are caused by misconceptions about player moderators, not the actual moderators themselves.

Dictionary definition:

insidious: operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect: an insidious disease.
A disease doesn't meant to harm or negatively impact, but it does.....just by existing. If the pmods were not there, there would be no 'misconceptions' or negative effects....of course it is caused by the moderators! No matter how calculated or unintentional #-o
35cq0q9.png

• 3 weeks later...

I think that if a p mod is around and can hear what your saying and you know it, then the intimidation of that keeps players from stepping out of line.

Would you slightly mess up if your supervisor/boss was with you. No. Would you slightly mess up if they werent. Well, that depends.

I think they are encouraging good behaviour policy even just by being there.

miph4.png

[spoiler=Old info]Quest Point Cape Acheived:14 October 07 4:30pm GMT+10 .

15108th to 99 Firemaking: 2 October 08 8:15pm GMT+10

Barrows Drops: Verac Flail, Verac Plateskirt x3, Guthan helm, Ahrim Robetop,

Karil top, Torag plate, Dharok plate, Dharok axe. 1900+ total lvl

Dragon Drops: 6: Dragon Legs (iron dragon), Dragon Spear(shadow warrior), Dragon Pickaxe(4)

DK Drops: Warrior Ring(2)

Bandos Drops: Tassets

Most P-Mods i've been near stand out to much, It allows them to get clans easier, get attention easier but when you actully get close to them there not like normal players, There like normal players with too much power.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely

~John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton (18341902)

meatlover.png

Out of the large amount of Player Mods I know (mostly TET/TIF Members) I have only come across one player who abused his power, anyone from Lightning's old Clan Chat will know him. Needless to say I think he lost the crown and got what he deserved. :)

Popoto.~<3

Guest jrhairychest

I think that if a p mod is around and can hear what your saying and you know it, then the intimidation of that keeps players from stepping out of line.

Would you slightly mess up if your supervisor/boss was with you. No. Would you slightly mess up if they werent. Well, that depends.

I think they are encouraging good behaviour policy even just by being there.

Saber rattling is not required to encourage good behaviour. We can report and have an ignore list which suits this fine. If players are ignored because of their behaviour, the less likely they are going to do it because no-one's listening. Im a supervisor/boss in my place of work and I don't need to intimidate people to get the best out of them.

Most P-Mods i've been near stand out to much, It allows them to get clans easier, get attention easier but when you actully get close to them there not like normal players, There like normal players with too much power.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely

~John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton (18341902)

I would agree. More often power is given to players who haven't a clue how to use it properly or deal with other players without resorting to 'I am the law' or muting.

Out of the large amount of Player Mods I know (mostly TET/TIF Members) I have only come across one player who abused his power, anyone from Lightning's old Clan Chat will know him. Needless to say I think he lost the crown and got what he deserved. :)

One less pmod who we don't need :smile:. However this forum wasn't just created to illustrate abuse of power. More to whether pmods go for the crown for purpose or for the status. I've found it quite a comical post ranging from the most abusive of people who seems to be supporters of mods, which says a lot, to the hilarious who seem to ignore what Jagex say themselves. Frankly very few I have debated with are fit for the original purpose of a pmod as they cannot even acknowledge the basics of why the went for it in the first place :---) . This is not being fit for purpose and more like trying to achieve/cling on to a status by thinking if they try to force home their POV, then I'll change my mind :XD:

It's extremely hard to acknowledge why I went in to begin with when you only accept answers that support your idea :rolleyes:

And extremely easy to look at your opponents' flaws without acknowledging your own.

You simply do not have proof that most mods are in it for the status. You have a handful of personal accounts, a twisted version of other users' testimony, a single ex-mod, and a handful of single paragraph posts from users who just know the stereotypes. I'm not counting the Jagex article because, although it is straight from Jagex, it has nothing to do with the debate other than your interpretation: it is about what they plan to do with the purpose. That's right, even Jagex is acknowledging that there is one, yet you continue to twist it because it is not what you want to hear.

It is a highly misused status that should not be given. I mean the Pmods back in the day were ok but most of the Pmods now always see somebody swearing and going through the filters and they just say "Not my problem" and walk away. Pmods are just people who think they have all the power because they have a little crown next to their name.It makes me sick.

It takes many people to construct a weapon of mass destruction, but only 1 idiot to use it.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

It's extremely hard to acknowledge why I went in to begin with when you only accept answers that support your idea :rolleyes:

And extremely easy to look at your opponents' flaws without acknowledging your own.

You simply do not have proof that most mods are in it for the status. You have a handful of personal accounts, a twisted version of other users' testimony, a single ex-mod, and a handful of single paragraph posts from users who just know the stereotypes. I'm not counting the Jagex article because, although it is straight from Jagex, it has nothing to do with the debate other than your interpretation: it is about what they plan to do with the purpose. That's right, even Jagex is acknowledging that there is one, yet you continue to twist it because it is not what you want to hear.

I certainly have acknowledged your reasons for wanting to be/being a pmod and as part of the debate questioned them, as you question my opinion. There are frequent references from others about the negative impact of the pmod presence, both here and on RS itself. You should count the Jagex article...its important, you can't just discount it because you don't like what it implies, yes they plan to change the role and give a clearer, more defined purpose, this is good news! But it also leaves the pmod history wide open to this debate.

My issue has always been the self deceiving 'altruistic' approach some pmods give for taking up the role. Personally, like many things in life, I think this makes people feel righteous and gives them a sense of justification to behave in a highhanded manner. The negative aspects so far in this debate far outweigh ANY positive influence pmods may or may not have had in the past. Therefore we come back to the original post, that this is all about personal status....being "sombody". :shame:

35cq0q9.png

Everybody's going to try to be somebody anyway, why not try to be somebody good? Rather than be "that guy with the skillcape" I'd prefer to be "That guy that can help with stuff". It can be a bit annoying to have to answer the same questions frequently, but if it gets the person a suitable answer who am I to complain?

I haven't looked through all 30 pages of this thread, but read a considerable amount and had some views to share.

I, personally, am friends with several Player Moderators, and I'm going to have to strongly disagree if you believe that the players are in it for the status. True, there are probably a handful of PMods that are in it for the status, but this is not representative of all the PMods. Jagex has explained that players go through a rigorous process before being selected to become a PMod, and I daresay that many wanna-be-mods are "filtered out" (for lack of a better term) during this process. For those that do get through, then I say, so be it. Apparently, Jagex has put their trust in the PMods because they believe that they would be able to make use of the moderator tools properly and be a positive influence to the general gaming community. If they are really in it for the fame and whatnot, eventually they will slip up in their judgement and may just get demodded in the process, thus ridding these status-obsessed players.

The mods I've interacted with or become friends with have certainly be friendly players with outgoing, cheerful personalities. I most definitely agree that Jagex knows what they are doing when they are picking out PMods. To refute your claim that soem players are becoming PMods for the status, I will reference a PMod friend of mine. She had been invited to become a player moderator more than 6 months ago, but had only recently gotten around to accepting it. Why? She read the message, but was still considering whether to become a PMod, but eventually forgot to do anything about it. Now, if she was in it for the fame, she would have grabbed the chance to become PMod as early as possible, rather than forgetting about it.

The silver crown isn't a trophy or award of recognition for the players becoming PMods, but can be viewed as a tool to maintain a friendly environment. Some nonchalant players may be rude (or even abusive) to other players in everyday chatting. But when they see a PMod, they think "Oh, I better not cross the line here or I may just get muted by the PMod", which will aid in creating a better environment. A possible counter-argument is that if the PMod didn't have a crown, he/she could have caught this player breaking the rules, and duly muting them. However, I believe that unlike the first scenario, the second doesn't allow the rule-breaking player to reconsider their actions, and possibly turn over a new leaf.

I don't believe it is correct to say that PMods give lectures than straight facts. I, for one, prefer elaboration over one-word answers most of the time. The extra information that you get in the "lecture" (if you can even call it that) could be quite useful, even if the player asking the question doesn't know it.

You say that PMods instantly teleport or block a player when asked about how they became a moderator? I find it very difficult to believe you, considering how I've never seen this happen, and that "blocking" (muting) a player for such a reason is a grevious offence and would very, very rarely happen.

Not to mention that using a mute to threaten someone is reportable and a serious abuse of power. Again, I've never seen this happen and find this very hard to believe. From your posts, phrasing, and tone, it seems to me that you might be one who constantly disagrees with many things, and creates an unfriendly player environment, and may result in a rebuke from a PMod. Forgive me if I'm mistaken on this part, tone doesn't communicate too well over the Internet.

On your final point, it's not as if the purpose of PMods is purely to combat bots. They deal with all sorts of rulebreakers.

Just my two cents on the issue :^_^: , hope you don't get offended or anything. Cheerios :)

------

With best regards, Calebchiam

- Fan of Tip.It Times

Guest jrhairychest

Considering you don't even want to deal with the Jagex thing, its a little ironic to suggest that I only accept answers that support my idea. Fine, you don't want to deal with it because you say I've interpreted it my way. Its quite funny that theres no other way to interpret it other than what they have said. You've come up with nothing else for it so you skirt around the issue.

You also disregard what other people say just because they aren't taking the pmod stance. I say tough. I give you facts, people give their opinions yet I'm supposed to be twisting it. Yes I've heard this type of thing before when I tell people some home truths about things they don't want to hear.

It is a highly misused status that should not be given. I mean the Pmods back in the day were ok but most of the Pmods now always see somebody swearing and going through the filters and they just say "Not my problem" and walk away. Pmods are just people who think they have all the power because they have a little crown next to their name.It makes me sick.

Another one you've failed to convince, local_guy.

I certainly have acknowledged your reasons for wanting to be/being a pmod and as part of the debate questioned them, as you question my opinion. There are frequent references from others about the negative impact of the pmod presence, both here and on RS itself. You should count the Jagex article...its important, you can't just discount it because you don't like what it implies, yes they plan to change the role and give a clearer, more defined purpose, this is good news! But it also leaves the pmod history wide open to this debate.

My issue has always been the self deceiving 'altruistic' approach some pmods give for taking up the role. Personally, like many things in life, I think this makes people feel righteous and gives them a sense of justification to behave in a highhanded manner. The negative aspects so far in this debate far outweigh ANY positive influence pmods may or may not have had in the past. Therefore we come back to the original post, that this is all about personal status....being "sombody". :shame:

I totally agree. Brings me back to the point of the types of people who want to become mods in favour of actually playing the game. Maybe I was right in that they are either snitches in real life, or their real life sucks so bad this is the only way they actually get any attention. Do you think this is good?

Everybody's going to try to be somebody anyway, why not try to be somebody good? Rather than be "that guy with the skillcape" I'd prefer to be "That guy that can help with stuff". It can be a bit annoying to have to answer the same questions frequently, but if it gets the person a suitable answer who am I to complain?

So you choose snitching as a way to be somebody? It's been said that you can be 'the guy that helps' without the crown. You bottled out of demodding yourself to prove it isn't true because you want to be 'somebody' i.e a pmod. So, you're in it for the status.

I haven't looked through all 30 pages of this thread, but read a considerable amount and had some views to share.

I, personally, am friends with several Player Moderators, and I'm going to have to strongly disagree if you believe that the players are in it for the status. True, there are probably a handful of PMods that are in it for the status, but this is not representative of all the PMods. Jagex has explained that players go through a rigorous process before being selected to become a PMod, and I daresay that many wanna-be-mods are "filtered out" (for lack of a better term) during this process. For those that do get through, then I say, so be it. Apparently, Jagex has put their trust in the PMods because they believe that they would be able to make use of the moderator tools properly and be a positive influence to the general gaming community. If they are really in it for the fame and whatnot, eventually they will slip up in their judgement and may just get demodded in the process, thus ridding these status-obsessed players.

The mods I've interacted with or become friends with have certainly be friendly players with outgoing, cheerful personalities. I most definitely agree that Jagex knows what they are doing when they are picking out PMods. To refute your claim that soem players are becoming PMods for the status, I will reference a PMod friend of mine. She had been invited to become a player moderator more than 6 months ago, but had only recently gotten around to accepting it. Why? She read the message, but was still considering whether to become a PMod, but eventually forgot to do anything about it. Now, if she was in it for the fame, she would have grabbed the chance to become PMod as early as possible, rather than forgetting about it.

The silver crown isn't a trophy or award of recognition for the players becoming PMods, but can be viewed as a tool to maintain a friendly environment. Some nonchalant players may be rude (or even abusive) to other players in everyday chatting. But when they see a PMod, they think "Oh, I better not cross the line here or I may just get muted by the PMod", which will aid in creating a better environment. A possible counter-argument is that if the PMod didn't have a crown, he/she could have caught this player breaking the rules, and duly muting them. However, I believe that unlike the first scenario, the second doesn't allow the rule-breaking player to reconsider their actions, and possibly turn over a new leaf.

I don't believe it is correct to say that PMods give lectures than straight facts. I, for one, prefer elaboration over one-word answers most of the time. The extra information that you get in the "lecture" (if you can even call it that) could be quite useful, even if the player asking the question doesn't know it.

You say that PMods instantly teleport or block a player when asked about how they became a moderator? I find it very difficult to believe you, considering how I've never seen this happen, and that "blocking" (muting) a player for such a reason is a grevious offence and would very, very rarely happen.

Not to mention that using a mute to threaten someone is reportable and a serious abuse of power. Again, I've never seen this happen and find this very hard to believe. From your posts, phrasing, and tone, it seems to me that you might be one who constantly disagrees with many things, and creates an unfriendly player environment, and may result in a rebuke from a PMod. Forgive me if I'm mistaken on this part, tone doesn't communicate too well over the Internet.

On your final point, it's not as if the purpose of PMods is purely to combat bots. They deal with all sorts of rulebreakers.

Just my two cents on the issue :^_^: , hope you don't get offended or anything. Cheerios :)

Pretty much from the 'My friend is a pmod so......' POV. It doesn't really cover anything that hasn't been mentioned before nor the fact about what your friend did to secure pmod status. I could take the same standpoint as yourself and claim 'Pmods are great people' but the evidence on here is that they're not always the nice people you may think they are. I'm perhaps not so easily taken in by people as you are. Just to clarify I've never recieved a mute, ban or any other reprimand from Jagex so I'm no rule breaker either. I just want to play the game. I put pmods on my ignore list so they don't bother me now, and I don't bother them.

You claim to have read this post thoroughly yet there are some things you have neglected to mention:

•  
  • The Jagex report on this issue falls in my favour regarding reports over helpfulness before the update
  • The still constant denials that Jagex have now stopped this in favour of player selection which was blatantly dismissed by pmods and their supporters, even to this very day.
  • PMods are essentially losing a lot of their use via Jagex solving problems themselves. If pmods were that good in the first place they wouldn't change the game with programming, and they wouldn't change the role of the pmod to glorified party organiser.
  • Read it more thoroughly and you'll find that your pmod friends and supporters are actually more 'unfriendly' than myself, which says a lot.
  • One pmod already admits that most Pmods wouldn't become one without the crown.
  • One pmod here says he does not need the crown and just wants to help players but won't give up his crown when asked to prove his principle.
  • Another pmod on here admits he's a snitch at work.

So I would ask...what changed her mind? Your friend decided that she did want the status? Why else be a Pmod? I posted the point below on an earlier page, which clarifies how my opinion now stands. A Pmod can do no more than an ordinary player, someone else made reference that their reports are given more weight than other players which I fnd appalling. All reports should be given equal attention, then prioritised as to their importance. So we come back to my points below:

When I first started posting on this thread, I suspected that pmods were doing it for status, but I was still very open for the debate. However I have to say that this debate has been enlightening for me and has make me think hard about this issue. My personal conclusion from the responses is that pmods have served no useful purpose whatsoever, they do nothing that other players can't do, except mute, but players have the option of 'ignore' so that is balanced out too. In most instances when they appear, conversation becomes overtaken, inhibited and at times aggressive and I usually end up leaving the area.

Therefore I have decided that Jagex only introduced pmods as a status incentive for players, inventing an almost plausible role for them, that those who wished for that status would believe and work towards. Almost like another part of the game, 99 in reporting and you become a pmod. Or 99 in whatever interpretation you want to give it and you become a pmod, you 'win' the prize, get the crown as a reward and then run around trying to be 'helpful' (or not) while the pmod wannabe's swoon and faint at your feet. Some being aggressive in their jealousy or anger at the role, while others just sigh, roll their eyes and leave.

This post may irritate some people, but it is the arrogant and pretentious posting on this thread, with complete lack of personal insight, and a propensity to ignore what they don't wish to answer, that has clarified my thinking to such a strong conclusion.

I continue to question why anyone would want to spend their leisure time in a role that irritates so many and serves so little purpose. That may change somewhat under the new criteria, but still holds true for those that were selected under the old criteria of the amount of reports players sent in and was not a rigorous selection process! :shame:

35cq0q9.png

Considering you don't even want to deal with the Jagex thing, its a little ironic to suggest that I only accept answers that support my idea. Fine, you don't want to deal with it because you say I've interpreted it my way. Its quite funny that theres no other way to interpret it other than what they have said. You've come up with nothing else for it so you skirt around the issue.

Your interpretation is wrong. You say Jagex changed the policy of how they choose moderators because the old policy was giving them players that are somehow unsatisfactory, but that's simply not true. They changed the policy because they realize that many players who are very well-qualified to become moderators are not detected by their abuse reports because they submit very few abuse reports. The new policy was created to find those players in addition to the mods they found through reporting, with whom they have also been very happy.

Jagex has said that often enough that they're happy with their current crop of mods. And if you don't believe me, why don't you ask them yourself?

Oh wait.

Jrhairychest asks:

Why did you change the focus of pmod selection from selecting the players the old way to the new way of volunteers? Were you actually getting the right sort of pmods that you wanted or are you after a different type of pmod?

Answer:

We were getting the right P Mods, but our search "area" was very narrow. Using the old system we have chosen really great P Mods, which continue to work with us and doing a fantastic job but we were more focused on reports.

With the Are you community focused thread we managed to open our horizons and give a chance to players that probably before were not getting that opportunity to become P Mods.

Guess you're way ahead of me and you already have asked. Looks like you got a direct answer that directly contradicts your interpretation of the Jagex post in question. "We were getting the right P Mods. Using the old system we have chosen really great P Mods, and they continue to do a fantastic job. We changed it because we want to find even more P Mods." Dealt with enough for you?

So they explicitly said that they made the role more accessible because they wanted to remove status seekers?

They did say this,

"We’ve always made it clear that they’re players first, moderators second, and this change in direction will really emphasise that."

Which I said many times but was always ignored, and

"We’re still looking for players with incredibly secure accounts, players who haven’t been persistently breaking rules or been horrible to others, and players who have shown absolute dedication to RuneScape and the communities they belong to"

Note the word "Still". That means that this was a part of their criteria before. So, after pushing this so many times, it seems to contradict what you say, and if there is indeed "no other way to interpret it"...

You also disregard what other people say just because they aren't taking the pmod stance. I say tough. I give you facts, people give their opinions yet I'm supposed to be twisting it. Yes I've heard this type of thing before when I tell people some home truths about things they don't want to hear.

And yet people have given facts and opinions contrary to yours and you resorted to personal attacks on them, so what could that possibly mean?

Ohnoes, a poster that joined the forum, one post here, and hasn't returned that I've failed to convince! How will I ever sate my thirst for status?

I totally agree. Brings me back to the point of the types of people who want to become mods in favour of actually playing the game. Maybe I was right in that they are either snitches in real life, or their real life sucks so bad this is the only way they actually get any attention. Do you think this is good?

Remember that thing I said about personal attacks? Yeahhh...

So you choose snitching as a way to be somebody? It's been said that you can be 'the guy that helps' without the crown. You bottled out of demodding yourself to prove it isn't true because you want to be 'somebody' i.e a pmod. So, you're in it for the status.

Ah, another interpretation of a point... It really is because demodding myself would just mean that you can say you were right and that the role is nothing but status. And what better way to prove it isn't than using its purpose...?

You claim to have read this post thoroughly yet there are some things you have neglected to mention:

•  
  • The Jagex report on this issue falls in my favour regarding reports over helpfulness before the update
    See point 1
  • The still constant denials that Jagex have now stopped this in favour of player selection which was blatantly dismissed by pmods and their supporters, even to this very day.
    Where?
  • PMods are essentially losing a lot of their use via Jagex solving problems themselves. If pmods were that good in the first place they wouldn't change the game with programming, and they wouldn't change the role of the pmod to glorified party organiser.
    And yer before Jagex does make a solution that players hate, who tries to solve it? Jagex did greatly harm RWT, but that has caused a decline in players (2006-2007 had average player counts of just under 200,000. As of today it is at 111,000). And players still manage to break the rules.
  • Read it more thoroughly and you'll find that your pmod friends and supporters are actually more 'unfriendly' than myself, which says a lot.
    They must be doing it while I'm not looking then. But how would you know if you ingore every one of them you see?
  • One pmod already admits that most Pmods wouldn't become one without the crown.
    He said that many players would not want to be a mod without the crown. That's not the same thing.
  • One pmod here says he does not need the crown and just wants to help players but won't give up his crown when asked to prove his principle.
    Answered
  • Another pmod on here admits he's a snitch at work.
    Ah, he would report someone for stealing at work. How will we ever sleep at night knowing that fiends like him roam the streets?

This new forum style will take some getting used to :cry:

Guest jrhairychest

Your interpretation is wrong. You say Jagex changed the policy of how they choose moderators because the old policy was giving them players that are somehow unsatisfactory, but that's simply not true. They changed the policy because they realize that many players who are very well-qualified to become moderators are not detected by their abuse reports because they submit very few abuse reports. The new policy was created to find those players in addition to the mods they found through reporting, with whom they have also been very happy.

Jagex has said that often enough that they're happy with their current crop of mods. And if you don't believe me, why don't you ask them yourself?

Oh wait.

So you contradict yourself by saying I'm wrong and then telling me good players aren't detected because they are not report hunters. Do you see your flawed logic in this? Isn't this what you and others have been denying from the start about it not being about reporting?

Jrhairychest asks:

Why did you change the focus of pmod selection from selecting the players the old way to the new way of volunteers? Were you actually getting the right sort of pmods that you wanted or are you after a different type of pmod?

Answer:

We were getting the right P Mods, but our search "area" was very narrow. Using the old system we have chosen really great P Mods, which continue to work with us and doing a fantastic job but we were more focused on reports.

With the “Are you community focused” thread we managed to open our horizons and give a chance to players that probably before were not getting that opportunity to become P Mods.

Guess you're way ahead of me and you already have asked. Looks like you got a direct answer that directly contradicts your interpretation of the Jagex post in question. "We were getting the right P Mods. Using the old system we have chosen really great P Mods, and they continue to do a fantastic job. We changed it because we want to find even more P Mods." Dealt with enough for you?

This is so priceless. Thanks Troacctid :grin: . I guess you either missed the point in this completely or you wanted to hand me this on a silver platter. You'll notice a few points I've put in bold. I'll elaborate:

•  
  • Jagex would never say 'our mods are crap'. Suicidal, so they're diplomatic. I would be too unless I wanted to lose the business of my customers. I don't think anyone would be that stupid unless they wanted their business to fold.
  • 'Were more focussed on reports' What a brilliant line!. Is that not evidence enough for you about the way the pmods were selected? Local_guy says he was chosen on merit but you've handed me the evidence that proves he and others weren't :^o . Of course, I'm sure you and local_guy will tell me 'they didnt really mean that' Rofl! By the way, you seemed to miss tackling that point.
  • They've changed it because they are moving towards players who aren't reporters. Does that not tell you enough already? You're missing the point that there are plenty of people who bang in reports, but Jagex have realised that they don't want this type of player any more and pmods weren't what they should have been. The types of players they've been getting have ruined the pmod system for themselves.
  • Giving a chance to those who never had opportunities to become pmods meaning they're focussed on those who never reported much. You wouldn't do that if your system was working in the first place. They want players who weren't going around snitching but instead played the game fair.
  • Things that are not broken don't get fixed. If the pmod system was fantastic it could have continued on the way it was. You'd be very naive to think that the system was good and then completely revise it.

I'd say it was pretty conclusive evidence and thanks for that. I presumed they hadn't answered my post when I read the first round of questions. Again thank you! :D

edit - Btw did you notice I didn't even mention reporting in my question to Jagex, yet Mod Catalina specifically states they were concentrating on reporting. :P

Guest jrhairychest

In response to local_guy:

So they explicitly said that they made the role more accessible because they wanted to remove status seekers?

They did say this,

"Weve always made it clear that theyre players first, moderators second, and this change in direction will really emphasise that."

Which I said many times but was always ignored, and

"Were still looking for players with incredibly secure accounts, players who havent been persistently breaking rules or been horrible to others, and players who have shown absolute dedication to RuneScape and the communities they belong to"

Note the word "Still". That means that this was a part of their criteria before. So, after pushing this so many times, it seems to contradict what you say, and if there is indeed "no other way to interpret it"...

Oh I see you conveniently missed areas about it not about reporting any more, past mods, future mods and the selection process. No suprise, but I've come to expect this. You haven't noticed that the 'emphasis' on players first means they don't want the gung-[garden tool] I am the law attitude, but those who just play the game and don't try to snitch on every player they spot. They want players who play, not players who snitch.

And yet people have given facts and opinions contrary to yours and you resorted to personal attacks on them, so what could that possibly mean?

Lmfao what facts have they given exactly?? None. You've said many things but backed up nothing. I've asked for evidence from yourself and others and you provide zip, except for a few screenshots that proved nothing. Opinion? Well I thought I had to have evidence and not an opinion as I quite rightly remember.

Ohnoes, a poster that joined the forum, one post here, and hasn't returned that I've failed to convince! How will I ever sate my thirst for status?

Just like when you ignore those posts, including Erewhon2's post because you havent the bottle to deal with it.

Remember that thing I said about personal attacks? Yeahhh...

I notice no denial about such things, so is this a personal attack, truth or another opinion that I'm not allowed to have?

Ah, another interpretation of a point... It really is because demodding myself would just mean that you can say you were right and that the role is nothing but status. And what better way to prove it isn't than using its purpose...?

On the contrary you'd have proved the status didn't matter if you'd demodded, and also proved you could still help people. You proved you couldn't do without the crown by bottling out of the challenge. All you do is prove my points ;-)

•  
    See point 1
Yes, the little snippets that doesn't prove anything.

The still constant denials that Jagex have now stopped this in favour of player selection which was blatantly dismissed by pmods and their supporters, even to this very day.
Where?
Read your own posts. Very enlightening.

PMods are essentially losing a lot of their use via Jagex solving problems themselves. If pmods were that good in the first place they wouldn't change the game with programming, and they wouldn't change the role of the pmod to glorified party organiser.
And yer before Jagex does make a solution that players hate, who tries to solve it? Jagex did greatly harm RWT, but that has caused a decline in players (2006-2007 had average player counts of just under 200,000. As of today it is at 111,000). And players still manage to break the rules.
You haven't solved anything, so don't try to take credit for it.

Read it more thoroughly and you'll find that your pmod friends and supporters are actually more 'unfriendly' than myself, which says a lot.
They must be doing it while I'm not looking then. But how would you know if you ingore every one of them you see?
Ahhh selective memory again. Again, try reading as it wasn't just me who noticed it in the posts. I answer most posts on here as you well know. You seem to blatantly ignore other posts who agree with me so I'd say you're the ignorant one, not me.

One pmod already admits that most Pmods wouldn't become one without the crown.
He said that many players would not want to be a mod without the crown. That's not the same thing.
er...yes it is! Players are pmods. Remember? He answered whether or not pmods would want to be pmods if they didn't have the crown.

One pmod here says he does not need the crown and just wants to help players but won't give up his crown when asked to prove his principle.
Answered
Chickened out.

Another pmod on here admits he's a snitch at work.
Ah, he would report someone for stealing at work. How will we ever sleep at night knowing that fiends like him roam the streets?

This answer does not suprise me in the slightest as both are from the same ilk. I'd also suggest that you pmods read the quote above I replied to by troacctid as it goes some way to prove you are ecomonical with the truth too. :---)

Oh I see you conveniently missed areas about it not about reporting any more, past mods, future mods and the selection process. No suprise, but I've come to expect this. You haven't noticed that the 'emphasis' on players first means they don't want the gung-[garden tool] I am the law attitude, but those who just play the game and don't try to snitch on every player they spot. They want players who play, not players who snitch.

All I did was list a couple of parts that you conveniently missed.

Also:

"Moderators are, of course, still able to escalate dodgy situations straight to us. This combined with their silver crown means that theyre able to deter and help remove rule breakers from the game in a flash, which is unquestionably important. Later in this blog, well talk about growing the mod community, and this is something that will really help reduce the amount of reporting that moderators have to do, allowing them to focus much more on community involvement."

Meaning that reporting will still play some part. If you believe this they are not removing reporting and such from what a moderator does, merely expanding the role, adding even more of a purpose that even fits with your opinion of how mods "can't take credit" for stopping rulebreaking. After all, they are now supporting mods in other areas in addition to those.

Lmfao what facts have they given exactly?? None. You've said many things but backed up nothing. I've asked for evidence from yourself and others and you provide zip, except for a few screenshots that proved nothing. Opinion? Well I thought I had to have evidence and not an opinion as I quite rightly remember.

Let's see... Testimonials that you're quite selective of, namely taking an ex-mod's opinion about the current team over members of that team's opinion on what's changing about their roles, examples of moderators getting involved in the community (Chats such as ad busters and comm unity, the fact that there are and have been mods in the TET for a long time, and let's not forget mods being active and well known members of fansite communities, to the point of Tip.It's main chats being owned by mods (Lightning, Forsakenmage [?], Lady Heinous, and Evil Mumm Ra, the last of which was also in the TET). That proves that mods being active in the community is nothing new. I did mention those before, didn't I?

Just like when you ignore those posts, including Erewhon2's post because you havent the bottle to deal with it.

Because his/her most recent post was not addressing me, and the one before that was the same thing the two of us argued about before across however many pages.

I notice no denial about such things, so is this a personal attack, truth or another opinion that I'm not allowed to have?

Well, insults really do not help you during debates. If anything they make your point weaker because rather than attack the point you attack the poster who made it.

On the contrary you'd have proved the status didn't matter if you'd demodded, and also proved you could still help people. You proved you couldn't do without the crown by bottling out of the challenge. All you do is prove my points ;-)

And as I said many times before, how much better could it be with the tools and support that come with the mod role?

Selective quoting plagues both of us then. I ignore the points that apparently do not prove my point, you do the same with yours.

Fair enough, but I was hoping for a more specific example than "You did it"

I wasn't. I was merely citing how Jagex's solutions to rulebreaking have been working. Yes, they solved the problems, but the way they do so leaves much to be desired.

Ahhh selective memory again. Again, try reading as it wasn't just me who noticed it in the posts. I answer most posts on here as you well know. You seem to blatantly ignore other posts who agree with me so I'd say you're the ignorant one, not me.

Better to not post on it than to blow off any validity it might have, I think. I do read these posts, I just don't always answer them.

er...yes it is! Players are pmods. Remember? He answered whether or not pmods would want to be pmods if they didn't have the crown.

I must have read something completely different from it. As I understood it, most players would not strive for modship without the crowns. I feel this is supported by mods such as myself who want the role without the symbol.

Chickened out.

Not quite yet.

This answer does not suprise me in the slightest as both are from the same ilk. I'd also suggest that you pmods read the quote above I replied to by troacctid as it goes some way to prove you are ecomonical with the truth too. :---)

Economical by... Being honest about what he would do if he caught an employee stealing?

You may want to realize that not everybody has the same morals as you, and that they are not necessarily wrong in that regard...

Oh wait.

So you contradict yourself by saying I'm wrong and then telling me good players aren't detected because they are not report hunters. Do you see your flawed logic in this? Isn't this what you and others have been denying from the start about it not being about reporting?

Jrhairychest asks:

Answer:

With the Are you community focused thread we managed to open our horizons and give a chance to players that probably before were not getting that opportunity to become P Mods.

This is so priceless. Thanks Troacctid :grin: . I guess you either missed the point in this completely or you wanted to hand me this on a silver platter. You'll notice a few points I've put in bold. I'll elaborate:

•  
  • Jagex would never say 'our mods are crap'. Suicidal, so they're diplomatic. I would be too unless I wanted to lose the business of my customers. I don't think anyone would be that stupid unless they wanted their business to fold.
  • 'Were more focussed on reports' What a brilliant line!. Is that not evidence enough for you about the way the pmods were selected? Local_guy says he was chosen on merit but you've handed me the evidence that proves he and others weren't :^o . Of course, I'm sure you and local_guy will tell me 'they didnt really mean that' Rofl! By the way, you seemed to miss tackling that point.
  • They've changed it because they are moving towards players who aren't reporters. Does that not tell you enough already? You're missing the point that there are plenty of people who bang in reports, but Jagex have realised that they don't want this type of player any more and pmods weren't what they should have been. The types of players they've been getting have ruined the pmod system for themselves.
  • Giving a chance to those who never had opportunities to become pmods meaning they're focussed on those who never reported much. You wouldn't do that if your system was working in the first place. They want players who weren't going around snitching but instead played the game fair.
  • Things that are not broken don't get fixed. If the pmod system was fantastic it could have continued on the way it was. You'd be very naive to think that the system was good and then completely revise it.

I'd say it was pretty conclusive evidence and thanks for that. I presumed they hadn't answered my post when I read the first round of questions. Again thank you! :D

edit - Btw did you notice I didn't even mention reporting in my question to Jagex, yet Mod Catalina specifically states they were concentrating on reporting. :P

They said three times, directly, how happy and satisfied they've been with mods selected through reports. You asked them directly, "Were you getting the kind of mods you wanted?" and they answered, directly, "Yes." I have absolutely no idea what more you could possibly want from them. Obviously your thinking is that if she says she's not a witch, it's stone-cold evidence of witchcraft.

And again, you asked them directly why they expanded the selection process, and they answered directly, "to give a chance to players that aren't getting the opportunity to be P Mods." How could that possibly imply anything negative about the P Mod system before the change other than that there weren't enough P Mods?

Guest jrhairychest

All I did was list a couple of parts that you conveniently missed.

Also:

"Moderators are, of course, still able to escalate dodgy situations straight to us. This combined with their silver crown means that they’re able to deter and help remove rule breakers from the game in a flash, which is unquestionably important. Later in this blog, we’ll talk about growing the mod community, and this is something that will really help reduce the amount of reporting that moderators have to do, allowing them to focus much more on community involvement."

Meaning that reporting will still play some part. If you believe this they are not removing reporting and such from what a moderator does, merely expanding the role, adding even more of a purpose that even fits with your opinion of how mods "can't take credit" for stopping rulebreaking. After all, they are now supporting mods in other areas in addition to those.

Again you've skirted around those issues that I mentioned, as you don't to deal with things you simply cannot answer. I take it you also missed this by mod Catalina:

'We were getting the right P Mods, but our search "area" was very narrow. Using the old system we have chosen really great P Mods, which continue to work with us and doing a fantastic job but we were more focused on reports.'

They're not interested in reporters now, they are interested in game players. Your role is now party maker, not plastic police officer. Thats why they're not picking trigger happy reporters, but actual players for the role.

Oh and by the way judging by what Mod Catalina had to say about the previous selection process of mods I'd say that seriously questions a lot of what you've been saying, unless now you're telling me that she didn't really mean it either and that what she said was another public relations stunt?

Let's see... Testimonials that you're quite selective of, namely taking an ex-mod's opinion about the current team over members of that team's opinion on what's changing about their roles, examples of moderators getting involved in the community (Chats such as ad busters and comm unity, the fact that there are and have been mods in the TET for a long time, and let's not forget mods being active and well known members of fansite communities, to the point of Tip.It's main chats being owned by mods (Lightning, Forsakenmage [?], Lady Heinous, and Evil Mumm Ra, the last of which was also in the TET). That proves that mods being active in the community is nothing new. I did mention those before, didn't I?

Testimonials were backed with evidence, wheres yours? You've spouted a lot of things but never once backed them up with any firm evidence. I ask again, lets see this evidence please, including the results of how well your pmod community did. Some screen shots will do. You've mentioned here a few pmods being in the TET. For a start I can see only a few, and how are you going to prove that these people are community focused?

Because his/her most recent post was not addressing me, and the one before that was the same thing the two of us argued about before across however many pages.

I believe they did address you and the general pmod population. You decided to ignore them. Take a look for yourself. She even commented on it.

Well, insults really do not help you during debates. If anything they make your point weaker because rather than attack the point you attack the poster who made it.

You still aren't denying anything, so I can only assume I'm hitting a few home truths here.

And as I said many times before, how much better could it be with the tools and support that come with the mod role?

A crown and a mute button aren't tools, they are sabres to rattle. Hiding behind these doesn't change the fact you bottled out of the challenge because of what you were afraid to lose. If you had such principles on the issue and you didn't really care about the crown you'd have taken me up on it.

Selective quoting plagues both of us then. I ignore the points that apparently do not prove my point, you do the same with yours.

I think I've proved and put forward much evidence and a much more convincing argument than you or your supporters. A few posters, Langer and Erewhon2 were fence sitters and pretty intelligent posters yet they've made their choices on the evidence given. I didn't see one person on here decided that they hated mods then change their minds because of what you or others posted. I'd say my arguements involved a little more than the snippets you've been giving.

Fair enough, but I was hoping for a more specific example than "You did it"

Not my fault you don't remember what you write.

I wasn't. I was merely citing how Jagex's solutions to rulebreaking have been working. Yes, they solved the problems, but the way they do so leaves much to be desired.

Prevention is better than cure.

Better to not post on it than to blow off any validity it might have, I think. I do read these posts, I just don't always answer them.

Seems you think if you just concentrate on me then its just me saying things. If you're going to debate at least answer their posts and give them the credit they deserve, just like I answer posts that disagree.

I must have read something completely different from it. As I understood it, most players would not strive for modship without the crowns. I feel this is supported by mods such as myself who want the role without the symbol.

You just said what he said - you're contradicting yourself. And now you're saying the symbol is not important which contradicts what you said earlier about the tools. Its either one way or the other.

Chickened out.

Not quite yet.

We know your stance on giving up your modship and exactly where your principles lie.

Economical by... Being honest about what he would do if he caught an employee stealing?

You may want to realize that not everybody has the same morals as you, and that they are not necessarily wrong in that regard...

What comes around goes around. Said it before and it will apply to him as it does you. We agree that our morals are completely different. I play RS to play the game. This cannot be said of your kind. Nice try at ignoring my point again too.

They said three times, directly, how happy and satisfied they've been with mods selected through reports. You asked them directly, "Were you getting the kind of mods you wanted?" and they answered, directly, "Yes." I have absolutely no idea what more you could possibly want from them. Obviously your thinking is that if she says she's not a witch, it's stone-cold evidence of witchcraft.

And again, you asked them directly why they expanded the selection process, and they answered directly, "to give a chance to players that aren't getting the opportunity to be P Mods." How could that possibly imply anything negative about the P Mod system before the change other than that there weren't enough P Mods?

You are obviously not employed in any capacity. If you were you'd understand what 'diplomacy' actually is. You don't sit a poor employee down and say "you're crap!". You tell them their good points (even if you have to make them up) and then put the "But..." in, just like Mod Catalina did. If Jagex state that they wanted this change because they didn't get what they wanted there would have been hissy fits galore with pmods. Instead they're being diplomatic. They've also been pretty frank that they selected via reports, which your pmod buds denied so vigorously and yet again are now proven wrong.

Now why would Jagex give an opportunity to those who don't report a crack at being a pmod? If what they were selecting were fine then they'd have no need to. Try reading between the lines. They'd have continued with that selection process if it was fine and dandy. They want community players and they aren't going to get that by selecting reporters who are self obsessed. Players dealing with players instead of players reporting players. I'd have thought you'd have spotted this long ago in the initial Jagex report.

Firstly let me say I am not he/she but 'she' :wink:

In response to those who don't think I am talking to them.....my posts are usually directed generically with individual responses included, therefore unless you are agreeing with what I say, my points should be worth debating...yes?

I continue to question why anyone would want to spend their leisure time in a role that irritates so many and serves so little purpose. That may change somewhat under the new criteria, but still holds true for those that were selected under the old criteria of the amount of reports players sent in and was not a rigorous selection process! :shame:

Jrhairychest asks:

Answer:

It's the "but" that gives it away.....for example: "I really do like you...."but"....." - get the picture? Its a 'get out clause' in the hope that they can get away without offending anyone.

As I understood it, most players would not strive for modship without the crowns. I feel this is supported by mods such as myself who want the role without the symbol. [/b]

I really don't understand your point here.....most players would not want modship without the crown! Well thats exactly what I have been saying, it's purely 'status' as most things can be achieved without it. However you want the role without the crown, yet you continue to exploit that status, even knowing that you could probably achieve more as a 'helpful and considerate' player without the crown. So, either you have no idea what you are talking about or really you do agree with Jrhairychest :huh:

Testimonials were backed with evidence, wheres yours? You've spouted a lot of things but never once backed them up with any firm evidence. I ask again, lets see this evidence please, including the results of how well your pmod community did. Some screen shots will do. You've mentioned here a few pmods being in the TET. For a start I can see only a few, and how are you going to prove that these people are community focused?

In support of this threads theme, there has been evidence from Jagex, links to other posts and Runescape itself, links to You Tube, screen shots, videos, personal opinions from ordinary players and an ex PMod. Some of that evidence has also been indisputable. The arguments against the theme of this thread have supplied no direct evidence other than 3rd party information and opinions. Wake up! :wall:

35cq0q9.png