PMods - Purpose or Status?

Guest jrhairychest

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The debate club should be re-named the "over-elaborate" club.

Pmods are clearly just a status symbol to me. I remember the days when they were so so helpless against the bots. The Pmod status symbol just symbolizes that they are generally helpful/nice. Most get it by being a snitch via reporting every single rule violation they see. I generally avoid talking to most of them.

tipitsig.png

Not gunna lie..I think most of them are stuck up. Been muted twice and one perm mute that I got off for disagreeing with Player mods. I think Jagex shouldn't have them really..And take more time to do things like that themselves, it's there game..idk =\

136 Combat :: Jjozzie :: 2000 Total

99 Slayer - 99 Summoning - 92 Herblore - 82 Prayer

64m Attack - 25m Strength - 17m Defence - 20m Range - 44m Hp - 20m Magic

:: Bandos ::

*Solo* - 3 Hilts - 2 Chestplates - 2 Tassets - 1 Boots - 6 Shards

*Duo - 8 Hilts - 6 Chestplates - 6 Tassets - 4 Boots - 14 Shards

Guest jrhairychest

P mods=status. Simple as that. They don't help much, from personal experience.

The debate club should be re-named the "over-elaborate" club.

Pmods are clearly just a status symbol to me. I remember the days when they were so so helpless against the bots. The Pmod status symbol just symbolizes that they are generally helpful/nice. Most get it by being a snitch via reporting every single rule violation they see. I generally avoid talking to most of them.

Not gunna lie..I think most of them are stuck up. Been muted twice and one perm mute that I got off for disagreeing with Player mods. I think Jagex shouldn't have them really..And take more time to do things like that themselves, it's there game..idk =\

Time will tell for the new pmod role. At least there's a little more screening instead of basing it on reports. It should at least fetch in those who take it a little more responsibly.

The OP and his minions appear to be trolls. Successful ones at that. =D>

Another selective reader. Take some time out and read the posts supporting pmods. You'll see where the attitude problems come from. Very enlightening.

Another selective reader. Take some time out and read the posts supporting pmods. You'll see where the attitude problems come from. Very enlightening.

So your point is so strong that anyone thoroughly reading the thread should instantly agree with you, therefore anyone that disagrees didn't read it?

Guest jrhairychest

Anyone is entitled to disagree, but if trolling to support a pmod is fine I'll disagree with it. You have a problem with that? I didn't see you complaining at the time or condemning it either. Naturally we'll be back to square one again where you'll deny everything, accuse me of quote mining (your own) and whatever else takes your fancy. We've said our piece so I'm happy to leave it at that. You're welcome to post in support or disagreement to other peoples post, but tbh I'm finding this Jrhairychest obession a little on the weird side.

You assume quite a bit about me. The original post reeks strongly of troll, and the huge number of quotes and everything you and others have said up until this point clearly indicate that you and your friends have constructed an elaborate plot to piss people off. I haven't seen quote trains this long since Compfreak.

You have offered no proof that 100% of player moderators are status symbols that are unable to perform their jobs, or rather, that they do not have jobs at all, as you're clearly under the impression of.

If I wasn't so sure that you're just trolling, I'd be laughing my head off at your idiocy. This is the DEBATE forum. In here we use facts to prove our points, not ridiculous opinions and exaggerated claims of "BUT ONE TIME [.......................] THEREFORE PMODS R DUM."

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Guest jrhairychest

You assume quite a bit about me. The original post reeks strongly of troll, and the huge number of quotes and everything you and others have said up until this point clearly indicate that you and your friends have constructed an elaborate plot to piss people off. I haven't seen quote trains this long since Compfreak.

You have offered no proof that 100% of player moderators are status symbols that are unable to perform their jobs, or rather, that they do not have jobs at all, as you're clearly under the impression of.

If I wasn't so sure that you're just trolling, I'd be laughing my head off at your idiocy. This is the DEBATE forum. In here we use facts to prove our points, not ridiculous opinions and exaggerated claims of "BUT ONE TIME [.......................] THEREFORE PMODS R DUM."

I love these posts that call me a troll, then proceed to do exactly that yourself. I'm actually quite amazed at how supporters of pmods conduct themselves on here. I'm glad you're here proving these points.

•  
  • In order to answer your points:
  • I don't actually have any friends on here, just those who support the case.
  • Elaborate plot? Um... no its a debate.
  • No-one said about '100% of pmods are status hunters'. I've said its not all of them myself on a number of occasions so no idea where you got that from.
  • Debate and evidence? Already posted 2 jagex posts on the subject which states that pmods were selected via their reports under the old system, and no-one goes around reporting unless they want something for it. No-one wanted to admit they were selected via reporting yet Jagex have said so twice.
  • Who is the idiot? The guy who posted the evidence or the one who didn't bother to read or just ignore it.

Oh and if I'm so wrong then there'd be no supporters of this thread at all but in fact there's quite a number of them. I'll include you in the pmod/wannabe/myfriendsapmod clan shall I?

From my personal experience, player moderators are good people half the time, and I've only had a couple of negative experiences regarding player moderators. I definitely agree that most would want the silver crown as a status symbol, because it could make them feel special. I also agree that most people would want to be a pmod, but there are limited positions available and therefore it usually isn't worth being a tryhard in order to obtain this crown.

a98c6df29b.png

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I think it's a little bit of both.

Although you do make some valid points about some Mods, it's hard to say that about all Mods.

They are all human if you have noticed, and they have a unique personality. While someone may have one type of personality, another may have another.

It's hard to say that the vast community of Mods all act or respond in a certain way.

From my own personal experience, the Mods I found were not boastful of their Mod Status, but rather kind hearted and generally good players. They did not brag in any way whatsoever (in my eyes) about the status, but rather took the time to help out players in need and offer answers to questions, which I find is a great personality from them.

I also know a few close players who have declined the status itself when offered, and I realize that not everyone likes to do it.

In my opinion, it's too hard to generalize them as one type of person who always behaves a certain way. People change, and are unique.

Generia.png

I STAND BY MY OPINION.

Essentially, I was muted for saying a mod was exacerbating a situation, since the other two parties weren't listening to the mod. I didn't swear, even in abbreviations or anything. 3 day mute, but was lifted fast by jagex.

Most are useless, and the crown is status.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I can say from experience that often a mod is falsely blamed for muting players if they were in the area at the time it happened. The reason I'm saying this now is simply because it isn't possible for a player mod to give a 3 day mute. The mod could still have reported you, however it's also quite likely you were reported by another player.

• 2 weeks later...

This is obviously a topic many enjoy discussing and all are entitled to have their own opinion. Opinions are neither good nor bad (right nor wrong). They are simply a reflection of personal experiences.

Here is mine. Pmods are people just like regular players are people. They each have their own personalities which is carried into whatever they do in the game of RuneScape. Some personalities are helpful to others; some are not. Some personalities empower others; some defame others. Some personalities invite .. yes "invite" .. rebellious responses from the RuneScape player base; some open new ways of experiencing the game (also the world). Wearing a crown certainly does set them apart from the general populace; however, it does not define them as better people. It does give them more power than the general populace even to the point of placing more emphases on what they say; and this can be a helpful thing or a harmful thing, depending on the personal growth and personal psychological health of that pmod.

When we make comments about a pmod's "intent", we need to check it for accuracy ; else we do that pmod (and ourselves) an injustice. I know if someone made a comment about my intent, I would appreciate their asking me if it was accurate or not. I think we could present pmods with the same curtesy.

Purpose or status? Can it not be both and both be a positive thing? Example: Giving a hard-working player a compliment just might carry more weight if it were given by a player wearing a crown. Likewse, a simple *cough* coming from a crowned player just might stop some words being used that a young/naive player should not be privy to.

I am what I am! Acknowledging this is the beginning and my growth is yet to end!!

This is obviously a topic many enjoy discussing and all are entitled to have their own opinion. Opinions are neither good nor bad (right nor wrong). They are simply a reflection of personal experiences.

Here is mine. Pmods are people just like regular players are people. They each have their own personalities which is carried into whatever they do in the game of RuneScape. Some personalities are helpful to others; some are not. Some personalities empower others; some defame others. Some personalities invite .. yes "invite" .. rebellious responses from the RuneScape player base; some open new ways of experiencing the game (also the world). Wearing a crown certainly does set them apart from the general populace; however, it does not define them as better people. It does give them more power than the general populace even to the point of placing more emphases on what they say; and this can be a helpful thing or a harmful thing, depending on the personal growth and personal psychological health of that pmod.

When we make comments about a pmod's "intent", we need to check it for accuracy ; else we do that pmod (and ourselves) an injustice. I know if someone made a comment about my intent, I would appreciate their asking me if it was accurate or not. I think we could present pmods with the same curtesy.

Purpose or status? Can it not be both and both be a positive thing? Example: Giving a hard-working player a compliment just might carry more weight if it were given by a player wearing a crown. Likewse, a simple *cough* coming from a crowned player just might stop some words being used that a young/naive player should not be privy to.

I haven't posted on this thread for some time, because I thought it at all been said....lol.

However, this may be a 'well meaning' POV, but the difficulty has been getting people to admit they wanted the crown for status. There seems to be an uwritten concensus that wanting to be a Pmod for status is a 'bad' thing going by the aggravated posts in this thread denouncing that status was ever the reason for accepting the Pmod crown.

So let me say a couple of things, firstly why did Jagex even give the Pmod role a 'crown' unless it was to indicate 'status'? A coloured dot or square would have served just as easily. A crown indicates power/authority/status and a hierarchical system, it places one player above another, which is completely inapproriate! And secondly why would anyone choose to be a Pmod? I have heard all the arguments before, but this is a game played for leisure and some Pmods have clearly indicated they find the role tiresome and aggravating and are often the butt of aggressive or fawning behaviour from players. So why choose to do it unless it is purely for the status?

35cq0q9.png

Guest jrhairychest

Seems to be a lot of 'personality' comments on here as well as fence sitting. So, do I judge someone who reported heavily before the pmod recruitment update as that being part of the person that they are? Is being a normal player not enough?

I'd say that the average RuneScaper works towards being a P Mod. Why? It gives a sense of achievement and pride. It also comes with assloads of respect. Most Mods I've met are rather normal players, besides always talking in complete sentences, correct spelling, punctuation, etc. Many mods also tend to make conversations "cleaner", because they just have to speak once to let everyone know, "Hey, there's a Mod in here. We could get in trouble." You would try to stay out of trouble if someone like say a hall monitor in school was around. They are equals, but try to make your environment a better place.

Guest jrhairychest

I'd say that the average RuneScaper works towards being a P Mod. Why? It gives a sense of achievement and pride. It also comes with assloads of respect. Most Mods I've met are rather normal players, besides always talking in complete sentences, correct spelling, punctuation, etc. Many mods also tend to make conversations "cleaner", because they just have to speak once to let everyone know, "Hey, there's a Mod in here. We could get in trouble." You would try to stay out of trouble if someone like say a hall monitor in school was around. They are equals, but try to make your environment a better place.

This isn't the story I get from Local_guy, a current pmod. He admits most are hated so I'd say the 'assloads of respect' is over the top. I'd also disagree about pmods cleaning up conversations too, as most of the conversations I see around the game are clean anyway. Its not like everyone is spitting bad language then stops when a pmod comes around. Any pmods that come in my talking range are put on my blocked list and I carry on as normal.

Some pmods can take pride in the job they do, but its quite a difference of opinion as to how many. I've never taken the stance that its a good thing to snitch on players when really you're supposed to be playing a game. Its not in Jagex's interest either to lose members because of over-zealous reporting.

I completely and utterly disagree on all points. Why on earth does it give a sense of pride? Playing the game and skilling up is one thing, but one player being placed over another in a virtual heirarchy is wrong. Ok the new guidelines for recruitment have a little more respect from me than the old 'reporting' method. But I still question someones need to be a pmod within a game. As for the "assloads" of respect, most pmods I have seen and who have posted on here, do not like the groupie attention they receive and in many cases are the butt of abuse.

The only difference I have seen to conversations with a pmod around is that the chat gets hijacked. Your fawning attitude towards pmods is exactly the kind of thing I have issue with, a pmod is just another player who pays their monthly fees like anyone else; they are not the police, they are not a demigod, they may occasionaly be good for advice, but no more than any other experienced player and often have less knowledge than that other player. As I said previously, why on earth Jagex chose to give pmods a crown as their symbol is beyond me!

35cq0q9.png

Why Jagex chose to create pmods and give them a crown identifying them seems quite obvious, at least to me. Jagex has let it be known in many ways it values a "family friendly" environment. RuneScape is such fun it brings in all kinds of people with all kinds of personalities and intentions. Sad to say not all of these intentions are wholesome; some are even dangerous to the more naive/innocent/young player. The jmods (Jagex staff) are too few to be of much value "inside" the game itself; thus pmods are the eyes and ears Jagex needs to let its jmod staff better understand what is occurring in the game (both the positive and the negative as they see it). In times past it became clear to many game players the pmods were reporting poor behavior; yet few players ever considered the positive aspect of moderating, i.e. to let Jmods know what the general populace needed to more fully enjoy the game. Many pmods spent the majority of their time doing just this. I have little doubt many of you have noticed pmods standing in the center of Varrock answering questions and helping all who wanted to be helped in some way. (Jmods started doing this as well last year.) Sure, this type of help can be given by players without the crown; but how many do you see doing it? Yes, some pmods may build their egos doing this; but surely there is room for doubt that all pmods are egocentric.

I have seen non-mods helping others with all kinds of things from questing to skill leveling to staying alive in a fight, etc. I seriously doubt all do this just to be noticed and maybe be asked to wear a crown. I like to believe those players are helping because that is simply the type of people they are. I know of pmods who were reluctant to even accept the status yet did so only because it would lend more weight to the good being done, i.e. the compliment, the help, etc. Those pmods had a pretty good idea as to how wearing a crown would set them up in the eyes of some as an authority figure to rebel against; yet the positive of accepting the status outweighed the negative.

Suffice it to say pmods (even jmods) are just people like us. We all have our weaknesses and our strengths; some encourage others to grow; some stifle the growth of others. Whether we wear a crown or not, we are who we are! It is my hope all will at least take as long a look at self as they do others as it just might be we need to curve some of our own intentions too.

I am what I am! Acknowledging this is the beginning and my growth is yet to end!!

Guest jrhairychest

Why Jagex chose to create pmods and give them a crown identifying them seems quite obvious, at least to me. Jagex has let it be known in many ways it values a "family friendly" environment. RuneScape is such fun it brings in all kinds of people with all kinds of personalities and intentions. Sad to say not all of these intentions are wholesome; some are even dangerous to the more naive/innocent/young player. The jmods (Jagex staff) are too few to be of much value "inside" the game itself; thus pmods are the eyes and ears Jagex needs to let its jmod staff better understand what is occurring in the game (both the positive and the negative as they see it). In times past it became clear to many game players the pmods were reporting poor behavior; yet few players ever considered the positive aspect of moderating, i.e. to let Jmods know what the general populace needed to more fully enjoy the game. Many pmods spent the majority of their time doing just this. I have little doubt many of you have noticed pmods standing in the center of Varrock answering questions and helping all who wanted to be helped in some way. (Jmods started doing this as well last year.) Sure, this type of help can be given by players without the crown; but how many do you see doing it? Yes, some pmods may build their egos doing this; but surely there is room for doubt that all pmods are egocentric.

I have seen non-mods helping others with all kinds of things from questing to skill leveling to staying alive in a fight, etc. I seriously doubt all do this just to be noticed and maybe be asked to wear a crown. I like to believe those players are helping because that is simply the type of people they are. I know of pmods who were reluctant to even accept the status yet did so only because it would lend more weight to the good being done, i.e. the compliment, the help, etc. Those pmods had a pretty good idea as to how wearing a crown would set them up in the eyes of some as an authority figure to rebel against; yet the positive of accepting the status outweighed the negative.

Suffice it to say pmods (even jmods) are just people like us. We all have our weaknesses and our strengths; some encourage others to grow; some stifle the growth of others. Whether we wear a crown or not, we are who we are! It is my hope all will at least take as long a look at self as they do others as it just might be we need to curve some of our own intentions too.

Why do you need a crown to do these things? More weight? Do we lack the common sense to block people or report them? Do we really need a crown to help someone? No. If someone needs to stand behind some sort of badge in that way for a game then they're not enough without it in the first place. We also now know that pmods were initially selected via their reporting, which includes how many reports sent in. Thankfully this has changed but it has always begged the question as to why players went around doing that instead of playing a game? No-one does that unless they want something - Human nature. And nobody liked admitting this fact either.

Jmods don't really come into the equation - Its their job and they're paid for it. As far as population feelings, Jagex only needs to look at its message boards to guage this and read both the positive and negative aspects on there. Pmods do not serve this purpose.

Now, I detect a little fence sitting on the issue so which is it? Purpose or status and why?

"Now, I detect a little fence sitting on the issue so which is it? Purpose or status and why?"

I do not believe it is fence sitting to see that both "purpose" and "status" are involved in one's willingness to wear a silver crown. I simply do not group "all" pmods into one single catagory and I have explained my reasoning for both in my previous posts.

I think there are alot of good mods that are helpfull. I have a friend who is one and he hardly talks unless asked. He does do his job though by reporting players who break the rules. On the other hand I have also seen alot of corrupt mods who advertise price manipulation clans, in turn causing others to lose their money. Heck, I've even seen a mod who was the owner of one. I must also agree that this game is now filled with alot of children who are anywhere from the age of 8-12 years old. Most would die for modship because it makes them feel empowered. To be honest, when I first joined I wanted to be a mod just to have the crown, but at this point (6 years later) I don't really care. Although...I would like to put a stop to the manipulation clans as they have become a problem.

Also, forum mods are necessarry mods as jagex is really busy and alot of stuff needs to be locked on the forums, so I find forum mods are of great help. Also they don't get an in-game status symbol so I think they are always "better," mods or if you will.