PMods - Purpose or Status?

Guest jrhairychest

For me, it's not status. Take away the picture beside my name, and I'm as content as I was the day before. If I make a friend, it's because they don't see the crown. I dislike people who want to be my friend just cause of the crown. There's been a lot of people who blame me for bad things, and say that I HAVE to help them.

I'm trying to get into the debate, but I'll just say that above stuff for starters, cause the thread doesn't give an open vibe to it :?

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because every time I answer honestly, the result is the same. Regardless of my answer, it means that I am just in it for the status because nobody would want a crown for any other reason.

I think you answered this near the bottom of this post.

Ah, I joined because I wanted recognition and because I hit a reporting quota. Answer me this, if there was a reporting quota, wouldn't there have been a lot more mods under the old system? There were enormous amounts of reports sent daily by people who did it simply so they could be modded, and yet they never were. There were mods like myself whose reports numbered in the single digits beforehand, if any. How did they get modded?

So a simple thanks is not good enough and you need something more?

Lmfao, single digits in reporting? After all, you've been quite the martyr about rulebreakers and such like so I think at best here you're being very economical in the truth :^o . The thing is you're still disagreeing with the words of Jagex in what they say and you still have no other viable explanation of how you were selected, and in particular first noticed.

I've been reported for the ridculous things and as you know, you get the usual 'reported!' after they have done it. Macroing or cheating because I hardly get hit by a master farmer (many, many times :roll:), asking a player if he needed more roughage to continue his argument with another player, telling a friend he should not eat any more chilli as his farts were out of control (reported by another player), scamming people by dressing as a thief and saying 'penny for the guy' outside a bank etc. The list is endless. Not even got one black mark. Those are the types of players who would never got a modship in a million years.

Tools such as information, a great community (which I have recently been getting reacquainted with) and the ability to stop rulebreaking? I count the crown as a tool too. Just yesterday I used it to stop a fight, and after saying I didn't report or mute anyone for it, got complemented by one of the people involved. That, is why I keep the thing.

Oooo a change of tune I detect about your community. Been forced to or did you do this off your own back? I have broken up arguments by using a little wit and sometimes sarcasm involving prods at adolescence. It works effectively and doesn't need a crown. I think again you're being economical with the truth with your reference to report/mute as you're very pro-rules. :^o

The god far outweighs the bad.

Considering how much of a burden you called it, you change your tune pretty quick.

Did you miss the part about justifying it because the point of the debate is to? I'm arguing for purpose over status, it's a no-brainer that I'd be "justifying the status"

You didn't answer the question here. You can't do a thing about price manipulation so saying you were trying to do something about it was a falacy again. You're claiming to combat things you have no power over.

Wrong. I used it to justify that they do not know their game as well as they should. And it took a week to fix it.

And you said that you'd take my word for it, not that you couldn't comment. Your comment was that making it harder makes it better, despite admitting that it's your lowest skill. And you even commented on it the sentence after you said you couldn't.

Taking 34 years to get 4 levels isn't challenge. It's unreasonable.

Of course I'm low on summoning. And what is the problem with making any skill harder, unless you want every skill to be as devalued as cooking? I think Jagex know their game better than you, I or anyone else otherwise they would not have fixed the error at all. They read players comments. You've stated quite a few times about Jagex not being on the ball. I don't think they would be a multi-million pound company if they weren't.

So you haven't heard the saying... :)

I've heard the saying. Do I class you in the same line as a rulebreaker because to judge them, you have to be one according to you.

Well, my answer was "to help people" but it seems that I can't choose that one. I'm not going to make up something because you aren't taking my answer.

People argue. People don't read the manual. People don't read the news. People fall for scams. Yes, it's a game, but people play it. I use all of those tools and such to help people. I have had people ask me if updates have come out because they do not read the fansites/manual. While it's easy to point them to it I'm not sure there are many players that would spend their game time reading the manual. And so they look to pmods who they think are knowledgeable about these things. And that probably fits perfectly into the Jagex article's future of pmods.

There's my answer. If that isn't good enough for you that's too bad, because it's the truth.

You are justfiying your crown for something any player can do. If you demodded you could still do these things. Thats why you're in it for status.

I think you answered this near the bottom of this post.

So a simple thanks is not good enough and you need something more?

Lmfao, single digits in reporting? After all, you've been quite the martyr about rulebreakers and such like so I think at best here you're being very economical in the truth :^o . The thing is you're still disagreeing with the words of Jagex in what they say and you still have no other viable explanation of how you were selected, and in particular first noticed.

And yet if it was about reports as they say, you would see all of those players who did nothing but report in clan chats as the mods, not the community leaders. I'm disagreeing with Jagex's words, yes, but it just takes a bit of common sense to realize that it wasn't the report happy players that were modded; it was the ones active in the communities that they were a part of. And that's as good a way as any to have a player introduced is it?

I've been reported for the ridculous things and as you know, you get the usual 'reported!' after they have done it. Macroing or cheating because I hardly get hit by a master farmer (many, many times :roll:), asking a player if he needed more roughage to continue his argument with another player, telling a friend he should not eat any more chilli as his farts were out of control (reported by another player), scamming people by dressing as a thief and saying 'penny for the guy' outside a bank etc. The list is endless. Not even got one black mark. Those are the types of players who would never got a modship in a million years.

And you don't see them as mods, do you? That helps to prove that it isn't about reporting.

Oooo a change of tune I detect about your community. Been forced to or did you do this off your own back? I have broken up arguments by using a little wit and sometimes sarcasm involving prods at adolescence. It works effectively and doesn't need a crown. I think again you're being economical with the truth with your reference to report/mute as you're very pro-rules. :^o

My choice :D

Prods at adolescence would work, except the two arguing were already doing that. And I'd prefer not to join in their arguments by acting sarcastic towards it. As much as I absolutely love doing so elsewhere

But I can do these things without reporting or muting.

Considering how much of a burden you called it, you change your tune pretty quick.

That the good outweighs the bad? The apparent status is the burden, the purpose outweighs it.

You didn't answer the question here. You can't do a thing about price manipulation so saying you were trying to do something about it was a falacy again. You're claiming to combat things you have no power over.

I do warn players about them. That's all I can do, and I do it. I know what weight a crown has in the chat, so I use it to warn others. The warning stands out. Does that answer your question?

Of course I'm low on summoning. And what is the problem with making any skill harder, unless you want every skill to be as devalued as cooking? I think Jagex know their game better than you, I or anyone else otherwise they would not have fixed the error at all. They read players comments. You've stated quite a few times about Jagex not being on the ball. I don't think they would be a multi-million pound company if they weren't.

Completely missing the point about making it harder...

And yet somehow they have. They get away with releasing often buggy, unbalanced content weekly. Their upgrade year is constantly bashed because there is very little content that either lasts longer than a few hours (recent quests), is a fix (PvP round x), or is something few play for more than the rewards (MA). Yes, they're fixing things based on player ideas, but that's fairly new. Most of what they're fixing was either broken for a long time before or something they broke to begin with. The way they have their money is that either people don't care or don't want to give up the hundreds of hours they put into their accounts.

I've heard the saying. Do I class you in the same line as a rulebreaker because to judge them, you have to be one according to you.

Or do you judge something without fully knowing why it's done?

You are justfiying your crown for something any player can do. If you demodded you could still do these things. Thats why you're in it for status.

The status is just another tool that I can use.

What I'm not sure about, is whether I am not making myself clear or whether people are deliberately avoiding reflecting on their motives for wanting or agreeing to be a pmod. -.-

When I first started posting on this thread, I suspected that pmods were doing it for status, but I was still very open for the debate. However I have to say that this debate has been enlightening for me and has make me think hard about this issue. My personal conclusion from the responses is that pmods have served no useful purpose whatsoever, they do nothing that other players can't do, except mute, but players have the option of 'ignore' so that is balanced out too. In most instances when they appear, conversation becomes overtaken, inhibited and at times aggressive and I usually end up leaving the area.

Therefore I have decided that Jagex only introduced pmods as a status incentive for players, inventing an almost plausible role for them, that those who wished for that status would believe and work towards. Almost like another part of the game, 99 in reporting and you become a pmod. Or 99 in whatever interpretation you want to give it and you become a pmod, you 'win' the prize, get the crown as a reward and then run around trying to be 'helpful' (or not) while the pmod wannabe's swoon and faint at your feet. Some being aggressive in their jealousy or anger at the role, while others just sigh, roll their eyes and leave.

This post may irritate some people, but it is the arrogant and pretentious posting on this thread, with complete lack of personal insight, and a propensity to ignore what they don't wish to answer, that has clarified my thinking to such a strong conclusion. =D>

35cq0q9.png

Why become a mod? Because Jagex asked. Why not do it, if you have the opportunity? Having a Pmod crown obviously makes it easier to help people and so on.

If you want to help people, you're willing to take on the additional responsibilities of being a role model and whatever drawbacks there are to it, and Jagex offers you the job, why wouldn't you take it?

Besides, I doubt most mods got their position by "going for it" and crossing their fingers every day in hopes of being a mod. As for the ones who have applied directly to Jagex to be one via the thread, well, it's one of the questions in the application, isn't it? "Why youd like to join the team" in 100 words or less.

Why did Jagex introduce mods? Because it makes life easier for them to have that kind of a foothold in the community. They like that certain responsible players can be relied upon to be helpful and stuff. Jagex views them as ambassadors who can be trusted to uphold the rules of conduct and be a positive influence on the community. Was it necessary? Of course not, the game would function almost exactly the same if the system had never existed. But is it an overall improvement? Yes.

Ah, but if it was a useless role given only for status, why did they waste the effort to write very extensive guidelines regarding how to use the mute feature that was given to them? Why waste the money to hire a team that checks their reports? Why devote a section of the forums to telling them how to do their jobs?

In short, if it's simply a status symbol and that was the sole intention in creating it, why are resources devoted to the purpose of it?

I'd love to give my motives more in detail, but you seem to be either ignoring them or claiming that they are not in fact my motives. It's easy to claim I'm ignoring you if you aren't accepting my answers at all.

And yet if it was about reports as they say, you would see all of those players who did nothing but report in clan chats as the mods, not the community leaders. I'm disagreeing with Jagex's words, yes, but it just takes a bit of common sense to realize that it wasn't the report happy players that were modded; it was the ones active in the communities that they were a part of. And that's as good a way as any to have a player introduced is it?[/b]

So you're in agreement now it was reports first? Clan chats have only been a recent addition in the last year or so and you've been playing a lot longer than that so we can discount this.

And you don't see them as mods, do you? That helps to prove that it isn't about reporting.

I think you know by now I find reporting all but the worst offenders a pretty low thing to do. You also mentioned secure accounts, contact details etc so you can bet your bottom dollar they wouldn't have had those so discount most of them for that alone. The rest will be trying to report players for calling players noobs etc. This still does not detract what the likes of yourself and others did to secure a modship. Erewhon2 rightly pointed out that who plays a game to report others for a crown?

My choice :D

Prods at adolescence would work, except the two arguing were already doing that. And I'd prefer not to join in their arguments by acting sarcastic towards it. As much as I absolutely love doing so elsewhere

But I can do these things without reporting or muting.

I don't think you'd have much of a choice in that do you? I think in the end you'd have had to go with the programme or be pushed.

In the case of dealing with players you don't require a crown to do it then do you? After all if I can do it with a decent amount of success without the need for a badge, then you can, can't you?

That the good outweighs the bad? The apparent status is the burden, the purpose outweighs it.

Lmao. Good one that. I did chuckle. If the status is the burden get rid of it and help out without the crown. You'll still have purpose. Problem solved.

I do warn players about them. That's all I can do, and I do it. I know what weight a crown has in the chat, so I use it to warn others. The warning stands out. Does that answer your question?

Not really no. Three things bother me. If you say you warn players then how do you account that anyone listens, particuarly as you stated in an earlier post that most players hate pmods. If they do, then they are unlikely to listen to you. Secondly, no warning is going to deter anyone who wants to do it as it isn't strictly against the rules. Thirdly it seems by all accounts you aren't having any effect on it by those who moan about it. Jagex will solve this issue, not you.

Completely missing the point about making it harder...

And yet somehow they have. They get away with releasing often buggy, unbalanced content weekly. Their upgrade year is constantly bashed because there is very little content that either lasts longer than a few hours (recent quests), is a fix (PvP round x), or is something few play for more than the rewards (MA). Yes, they're fixing things based on player ideas, but that's fairly new. Most of what they're fixing was either broken for a long time before or something they broke to begin with. The way they have their money is that either people don't care or don't want to give up the hundreds of hours they put into their accounts.

Not missing the point at all. They fixed it, job done. If you know programming you'll know that all the in-house testing in the world does not guarantee a bug free ride. Nearly every commercial program released requires patches or updates. This isn't anything new which is why they take feedback. Quests don't have to be long, drawn out affairs and minigames such as MA are used primarily for their rewards by players anyway. Its a great disservice to players to say they don't care because they do. Otherwise they wouldn't play a game they no longer love. Jagex gets most of its stuff right.

Or do you judge something without fully knowing why it's done?

I know exactly why things are done. Thats why I'm not dishonest with myself and not try to decieve myself into doing things for other reasons. Hence, why I could never be a pmod.

The status is just another tool that I can use.

The status is why you retain your modship.

So you're in agreement now it was reports first? Clan chats have only been a recent addition in the last year or so and you've been playing a lot longer than that so we can discount this.

What? Where in my post did I say that? I was saying the opposite.

I think you know by now I find reporting all but the worst offenders a pretty low thing to do. You also mentioned secure accounts, contact details etc so you can bet your bottom dollar they wouldn't have had those so discount most of them for that alone. The rest will be trying to report players for calling players noobs etc. This still does not detract what the likes of yourself and others did to secure a modship. Erewhon2 rightly pointed out that who plays a game to report others for a crown?

It's a very good thing that most mods did not do that then :D

Before modship mods played the game to play the game. The players that played to report others to get modship are not mods. There are mods in the TET that I would assume were not chosen on report quality or quantity, but because they were helpful, community minded players.

I don't think you'd have much of a choice in that do you? I think in the end you'd have had to go with the programme or be pushed.

And that's where you're wrong, because they don't pressure us to do so in any way. "Players first, mods second" was actually their motto.

In the case of dealing with players you don't require a crown to do it then do you? After all if I can do it with a decent amount of success without the need for a badge, then you can, can't you?

That depends on whether or not it can be done more effectively with one.

Lmao. Good one that. I did chuckle. If the status is the burden get rid of it and help out without the crown. You'll still have purpose. Problem solved.

See above.

Not really no. Three things bother me. If you say you warn players then how do you account that anyone listens, particuarly as you stated in an earlier post that most players hate pmods. If they do, then they are unlikely to listen to you. Secondly, no warning is going to deter anyone who wants to do it as it isn't strictly against the rules. Thirdly it seems by all accounts you aren't having any effect on it by those who moan about it. Jagex will solve this issue, not you.

It's an effort. That's all I can do. If it works, it works. If not I tried. Because as of yet all Jagex has done is told the few players who read the feedback section to be careful.

Not missing the point at all. They fixed it, job done. If you know programming you'll know that all the in-house testing in the world does not guarantee a bug free ride. Nearly every commercial program released requires patches or updates. This isn't anything new which is why they take feedback. Quests don't have to be long, drawn out affairs and minigames such as MA are used primarily for their rewards by players anyway. Its a great disservice to players to say they don't care because they do. Otherwise they wouldn't play a game they no longer love. Jagex gets most of its stuff right.

The rants board here and on the RSOF, plus most of Truthscape disagrees with you. As of this post Tip.It has a rant about Jagex. There is a sticky devoted to recent updates, and according to a great many players the bugs are quite obvious. Stealing creation at first had the timer reset every time someone entered the waiting room, making the game unplayable. Mobilising Armies had people sitting in the waiting room for hours before the game started. Those are the kinds of little things that you should be sure work before you release the game.

I know exactly why things are done. Thats why I'm not dishonest with myself and not try to decieve myself into doing things for other reasons. Hence, why I could never be a pmod.

The fact that you don't want it makes it a very good status symbol.

The status is why you retain your modship.

According to you. Who benefits if it is the case.

Why can't there be a purpose with status?

A couple of examples:

Skillcapes (or Firecapes) are a status item, but they offer a bonus.

Getting the new Dragon Pickaxe.

While having these things do provide better bonuses, you can still function well without them.

Same goes for the crown, others can help players, but the crown can be even more of a bonus. I've been in situations where the fact that I had a crown was helpful in diffusing the problems. Granted there will be some that abuse this status to brag or gloat to others about it (and I'd hope that anyone seeing a pmod acting inappropriately would report them) but not all of them are like this. Most are truly helpful and are interested in following Jagex's lead to improve the community.

The nature of MMOG's is mostly about status. Most times people get/do things in order to "show off" to others. Why bother with such things in a solo game that no on else would ever see?

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

What? Where in my post did I say that? I was saying the opposite.

You brought it up in an 'if reports' scenario. You either agree or not that this was the way you were noticed?

It's a very good thing that most mods did not do that then :D

Before modship mods played the game to play the game. The players that played to report others to get modship are not mods. There are mods in the TET that I would assume were not chosen on report quality or quantity, but because they were helpful, community minded players.

This does not detract from the fact how you got your modship. I totally disagree with the pre-modship mods thing. After all you yourself have shown you're a rules type of person. And lying about reports being in single figures was a ridiculous thing to say. The mods in the TET? I'm assuming you're talking about RS pmods?

And that's where you're wrong, because they don't pressure us to do so in any way. "Players first, mods second" was actually their motto.

Oh yes, the post of Jagex is a lie again :roll: . These are the same guidelines you ignored? You're asked to do a community role so you'll have to get on with that. Not hide away like you have freely admitted.

That depends on whether or not it can be done more effectively with one.

Rofl. If I can do it anyone can. No crown needed. That's you trying to justify your reason to keep it. There is no need to wave it in someones face.

See above.

Hilarious! :lol:

It's an effort. That's all I can do. If it works, it works. If not I tried. Because as of yet all Jagex has done is told the few players who read the feedback section to be careful

Up to you if you want to waste your time telling players who won't listen about something that isn't against the rules anyway. Wouldn't your time be spent better doing something else like organising a community party?

The rants board here and on the RSOF, plus most of Truthscape disagrees with you. As of this post Tip.It has a rant about Jagex. There is a sticky devoted to recent updates, and according to a great many players the bugs are quite obvious. Stealing creation at first had the timer reset every time someone entered the waiting room, making the game unplayable. Mobilising Armies had people sitting in the waiting room for hours before the game started. Those are the kinds of little things that you should be sure work before you release the game.

Common sense would say post on the official Jagex website about such things, as its more likely to get read. Some issues do not become apparent in programs until a while after its realease. Jagex do a good job in fixing most things. Granted nothing is perfect but they get most things right.

The fact that you don't want it makes it a very good status symbol.

The fact that you won't give it up shows it for what it is. I take it you're now agreeing it is a status symbol?

According to you. Who benefits if it is the case.

You. As I've mentioned before your reluctance to give it up suggests you need it for some reason. Attention? Pomposity? Security blanket? Not wanting to feel like an ordinary player? Not being honest with yourself as to your true motives? You tell me. You obviously haven't helped your own cause judging by this post which was initially sitting on the fence:

What I'm not sure about, is whether I am not making myself clear or whether people are deliberately avoiding reflecting on their motives for wanting or agreeing to be a pmod. -.-

When I first started posting on this thread, I suspected that pmods were doing it for status, but I was still very open for the debate. However I have to say that this debate has been enlightening for me and has make me think hard about this issue. My personal conclusion from the responses is that pmods have served no useful purpose whatsoever, they do nothing that other players can't do, except mute, but players have the option of 'ignore' so that is balanced out too. In most instances when they appear, conversation becomes overtaken, inhibited and at times aggressive and I usually end up leaving the area.

Therefore I have decided that Jagex only introduced pmods as a status incentive for players, inventing an almost plausible role for them, that those who wished for that status would believe and work towards. Almost like another part of the game, 99 in reporting and you become a pmod. Or 99 in whatever interpretation you want to give it and you become a pmod, you 'win' the prize, get the crown as a reward and then run around trying to be 'helpful' (or not) while the pmod wannabe's swoon and faint at your feet. Some being aggressive in their jealousy or anger at the role, while others just sigh, roll their eyes and leave.

This post may irritate some people, but it is the arrogant and pretentious posting on this thread, with complete lack of personal insight, and a propensity to ignore what they don't wish to answer, that has clarified my thinking to such a strong conclusion. =D>

Sorry for the double post as I know some people have allergies towards such things.

A couple of examples:

While having these things do provide better bonuses, you can still function well without them.

Answered at the bottom of your post.

Same goes for the crown, others can help players, but the crown can be even more of a bonus. I've been in situations where the fact that I had a crown was helpful in diffusing the problems. Granted there will be some that abuse this status to brag or gloat to others about it (and I'd hope that anyone seeing a pmod acting inappropriately would report them) but not all of them are like this. Most are truly helpful and are interested in following Jagex's lead to improve the community.

A situation can be diffused without a crown. Anyone worth their salt can do this if they do it right and it doesn't require any great degree of difficulty. Players can use ignore buttons and report for themselves. It doesn't require a crown or a mute button to do this. Whoever needs a crown to diffuse a situation really should question whether they have the right skills in dealing with players.

The nature of MMOG's is mostly about status. Most times people get/do things in order to "show off" to others. Why bother with such things in a solo game that no on else would ever see?

Generally correct, including the items you mentioned before and what you say here. The trouble with your argument is that these are earned by players, either bought or jumped through the game hoops.

A modship (old system) was gained by reporting players. Jagex have stated this in their news release. Thats what I have a problem with. Gaining some sort of status on the backs of other players in my mind is not earned, its equivalent to getting a promotion because you snitch. And no-one likes a snitch. If any of you work, I'd suggest you try a little experiment and snitch on your workmates. Lets see how far that gets you. Thankfully they are now changing this system of pmod selection and I am in full agreement with that.

Gaining some sort of status on the backs of other players in my mind is not earned, its equivalent to getting a promotion because you snitch. And no-one likes a snitch. If any of you work, I'd suggest you try a little experiment and snitch on your workmates. Lets see how far that gets you. Thankfully they are now changing this system of pmod selection and I am in full agreement with that.

If your co-worker was embezzling, would you just ignore it? If a co-worker was sexually harassing you, would you just let it slide? Not a very good analogy tbh.

[hide=]

Sorry for the double post as I know some people have allergies towards such things.

A couple of examples:

Answered at the bottom of your post.

[/hide]

A situation can be diffused without a crown. Anyone worth their salt can do this if they do it right and it doesn't require any great degree of difficulty. Players can use ignore buttons and report for themselves. It doesn't require a crown or a mute button to do this. Whoever needs a crown to diffuse a situation really should question whether they have the right skills in dealing with players.

True but some instances, a crown or a mute is necessary. Armor trimming scammers and RS gold website advertising are (were) two prime examples. A knowledgeable player would know to ignore them, but that wasn't the player they were targeting. And if the knowledgeable ones were just ignoring and not informing others to do the same, then it's only beneficial to them. You may not NEED a crown to diffuse a situation, but it can help. No a crown isn't needed 100% of the time to help others or to stop bad players, but is it so hard to fathom that it has a purpose or a use while being a status item?

[hide=]

[/hide]

Generally correct, including the items you mentioned before and what you say here. The trouble with your argument is that these are earned by players, either bought or jumped through the game hoops.

A modship (old system) was gained by reporting players. Jagex have stated this in their news release. Thats what I have a problem with. Gaining some sort of status on the backs of other players in my mind is not earned, its equivalent to getting a promotion because you snitch. And no-one likes a snitch. If any of you work, I'd suggest you try a little experiment and snitch on your workmates. Lets see how far that gets you. Thankfully they are now changing this system of pmod selection and I am in full agreement with that.

Other aspects of the game also are earned on the backs of others, Duel Arena, Merchanting, Old Wilderness. A player had to have some skill in those, but they still earned their rewards at the expense of others.

And for the record, in my 20 years of work, I've worked retail for about 15 of them. And I have "snitched" on workmates for various things such as stealing a soda or a bag of chips for break or leaving early and having a friend clock them out at the end of their shift. Now whether those earned me any of my promotions or not, I don't know and don't care. I wasn't reporting them for the position, I was doing it because it was what should be done. And the same goes for the game, I didn't report a lot, and I didn't do it in hopes of getting a crown. I did what I thought was right.

EDIT: So it's a popularity contest? "No one likes a snitch" or let things slide and be well liked? I play this game for my enjoyment, not to get the approval of other players that would also be nothing more than a status symbol

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

You brought it up in an 'if reports' scenario. You either agree or not that this was the way you were noticed?

This is what I said:

And yet if it was about reports as they say, you would see all of those players who did nothing but report in clan chats as the mods, not the community leaders. I'm disagreeing with Jagex's words, yes, but it just takes a bit of common sense to realize that it wasn't the report happy players that were modded; it was the ones active in the communities that they were a part of. And that's as good a way as any to have a player introduced is it?[/b]

Which is the completely different from what you said it was. Did you even read the post, or are you just saying the same things in the hope that it makes them true? :lol:

This does not detract from the fact how you got your modship. I totally disagree with the pre-modship mods thing. After all you yourself have shown you're a rules type of person. And lying about reports being in single figures was a ridiculous thing to say. The mods in the TET? I'm assuming you're talking about RS pmods?

Yes, RS pmods. And assuming that I'm lying because it doesn't agree with your opinion is not good.

Oh yes, the post of Jagex is a lie again :roll: . These are the same guidelines you ignored? You're asked to do a community role so you'll have to get on with that. Not hide away like you have freely admitted.

Ignored? Where?

I "hid away" because that's where the skilling spots tend to be. During that time I still hung around clan chats.

You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit. I hid away yet I'm in it for the status and to report people.

Rofl. If I can do it anyone can. No crown needed. That's you trying to justify your reason to keep it. There is no need to wave it in someones face.

But it works.

As much as a few points here :lol:

Up to you if you want to waste your time telling players who won't listen about something that isn't against the rules anyway. Wouldn't your time be spent better doing something else like organising a community party?

I'm a rules oriented person that warns people agaisnt doing something that isn't against the rules anyway?

Wouldn't your time be better spent making sure you don't contradict yourself?

Common sense would say post on the official Jagex website about such things, as its more likely to get read. Some issues do not become apparent in programs until a while after its realease. Jagex do a good job in fixing most things. Granted nothing is perfect but they get most things right.

Once again, Truthscape and several rants boards disagree. These are not small issues that became apparent later on., These are issues that prevented the update from working altogether. Granted, they were fixed quickly, but they still are the kinds of problems you want to work out before releasing an update.

The fact that you won't give it up shows it for what it is. I take it you're now agreeing it is a status symbol?

Yes, because since there are players that don't want it it has to be a very poor one. There isn't any denying that some people see it as one. If it was just a status symbol why would that be the case? I've heard people say they wouldn't want it because they didn't want the purpose... Because I've been arguing that the purpose outweighs the status.

You. As I've mentioned before your reluctance to give it up suggests you need it for some reason. Attention? Pomposity? Security blanket? Not wanting to feel like an ordinary player? Not being honest with yourself as to your true motives? You tell me. You obviously haven't helped your own cause judging by this post which was initially sitting on the fence:

Who's ignoring posts now? I did reply to it.

Ah, but if it was a useless role given only for status, why did they waste the effort to write very extensive guidelines regarding how to use the mute feature that was given to them? Why waste the money to hire a team that checks their reports? Why devote a section of the forums to telling them how to do their jobs?

In short, if it's simply a status symbol and that was the sole intention in creating it, why are resources devoted to the purpose of it?

I'd love to give my motives more in detail, but you seem to be either ignoring them or claiming that they are not in fact my motives. It's easy to claim I'm ignoring you if you aren't accepting my answers at all.

If your co-worker was embezzling, would you just ignore it? If a co-worker was sexually harassing you, would you just let it slide? Not a very good analogy tbh.

No these are serious offences, or offences directly against the person. You would have to act, but how do you compare them to RS? The only time I have seen this in RS is when a player called someone a peadophile for revealing his age (think it was 50 or something like that). Its one of the few occasions that I have reported. The guy knew we had, as he recieved quite a lot of flak, then logged.

Now this is different:

And for the record, in my 20 years of work, I've worked retail for about 15 of them. And I have "snitched" on workmates for various things such as stealing a soda or a bag of chips for break or leaving early and having a friend clock them out at the end of their shift. Now whether those earned me any of my promotions or not, I don't know and don't care. I wasn't reporting them for the position, I was doing it because it was what should be done. And the same goes for the game, I didn't report a lot, and I didn't do it in hopes of getting a crown. I did what I thought was right.

EDIT: So it's a popularity contest? "No one likes a snitch" or let things slide and be well liked? I play this game for my enjoyment, not to get the approval of other players that would also be nothing more than a status symbol[/b]

It isn't about being liked. I could go for a crown and be [wagon] kissed all I wanted, but I dont 'need' it. I don't need to go around in life snitching on others to make myself feel good or to gain something from it. People will either like me or they won't but I certainly would never drop my standards to something like the example above. All it does is give you a reputation not to be trusted or give you a persona of some weasly character running to the boss every 5 minutes to report someone else. I could do this in my job, but I don't. I have a word, and it works without stooping to things like this.

Now you know why pmods have such a bad rep. Local_Guy says that pmods are hated by most players, and this is probably why. If you really need a crown to 'enjoy' the game there is something seriously wrong.

a_local-guy: Ah, but if it was a useless role given only for status, why did they waste the effort to write very extensive guidelines regarding how to use the mute feature that was given to them? Why waste the money to hire a team that checks their reports? Why devote a section of the forums to telling them how to do their jobs?

They would spend their time on it, the same as they do for any new game development, including quests, skills etc. They want players to want pmod status, it's something to aim for. Maybe it was even an experiment, that they now realise was totally going in the wrong direction, certainly it would appear that way from the way players respond to pmods presence. And you are right, what I have been given so far has not answered the question of why do this, when it is a game and is not needed or necessary?

Actually the anology does work for me, I would take Jrhairychests point to be 'proportionate'. Poor practice that is a danger to a company or an individual should be 'whistleblown'. But petty misdemeanors can often be dealt with face to face by the person who saw it occur. For example:
And for the record' date=' in my 20 years of work, I've worked retail for about 15 of them. And I have "snitched" on workmates for various things such as stealing a soda or a bag of chips for break or leaving early and having a friend clock them out at the end of their shift. Now whether those earned me any of my promotions or not, I don't know and don't care. I wasn't reporting them for the position, I was doing it because it was what should be done. And the same goes for the game, I didn't report a lot, and I didn't do it in hopes of getting a crown. I did what I thought was right.[/quote']My personal opinion is that is dreadful! I would hope that I would never end up working with this person! :evil:

All of the examples given he could have addressed himself as a responsible colleague, giving that person at least one opportunity to regret their actions and make amends. I am appalled that someone would behave in this way.

I play this game for my enjoyment, not to get the approval of other players that would also be nothing more than a status symbol
So ultimately this comment does not surprise me, and again I find my opinion being reinforced, I bet you do enjoy your status.....a lot! =D>
35cq0q9.png

Does the double standard surprise anyone? A real world analogy was given a few pages back, and if I'm not wrong either Jrhairychest or Erewhon2 said that such an analogy could never work. However, now that Jrhairychest uses one Erewhon2 states that it is appropriate.

On an unrelated note I'm getting a mental image of layers of something being peeled back to reveal a core from reading today's posts.

Which is the completely different from what you said it was. Did you even read the post, or are you just saying the same things in the hope that it makes them true? :lol:

On the contrary, I think you keep telling yourself certain things in the hope that if you say them enough I'll believe them or for you own benefit so you don't have to admit the truth to yourself. I've already explained that some of those who reported didn't get modded for obvious reasons. Unsecure accounts and ridiculous reports. Now commit - Did you get noticed because you reported?

Yes, RS pmods. And assuming that I'm lying because it doesn't agree with your opinion is not good.

No its because your opinion doesn't lie with Jagex. I'd like to know what statistics you have on the RS Pmods in TET. I'd also like to point out that those in TET are not selected for a reporting quota either. They 'have' to deal with people. Theres no benefit to reporting players for it so its a pointless aspect to bring up.

I "hid away" because that's where the skilling spots tend to be. During that time I still hung around clan chats.

You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit. I hid away yet I'm in it for the status and to report people.[/b]

Oh don't you remember the guidelines you said you didn't bother with as you were sticking with the old system of pmod? Selective memory or a ruse to back away from your own contradiction? You freely admit to hiding away then you're next going around warning people of the dangers of price manipulation. So which is it?

But it works.

In your opinion. If you need to saber rattle it shows you're not respected in the first place.

As much as a few points here :lol:

Actually its fantastic. You've already lost a few fence sitters in Erewhon2 and Langer. You don't do much for your case so trust me, it makes me happy ::'

I'm a rules oriented person that warns people agaisnt doing something that isn't against the rules anyway?

Its exactly what you have been doing though. Read it back to yourself. Priceless.

Once again, Truthscape and several rants boards disagree. These are not small issues that became apparent later on., These are issues that prevented the update from working altogether. Granted, they were fixed quickly, but they still are the kinds of problems you want to work out before releasing an update.

Would it not be better to rant or suggest at the source i.e. Official RS website or is that too much like common sense? I'm not much of a gambling man but I'd say the chances of things being read and fixed are more likely doing it there. Did you not read my part about programming and the fact that most pieces of software tend not to be bug free. Its extremely difficult to iron out all aspects. Thats why the user is the best type of tester you can get.

Yes, because since there are players that don't want it it has to be a very poor one. There isn't any denying that some people see it as one. If it was just a status symbol why would that be the case? I've heard people say they wouldn't want it because they didn't want the purpose... Because I've been arguing that the purpose outweighs the status.

What is your purpose exactly?

I belive Jagex's motives were pure when they created them. What they didn't bank on was the motives of players to secure such a status and the types of players that would become pmods. After all they don't want to select players based on reports any more so I think a lesson has been learned here. You cannot get away from this fact that they want to base it more about players rather than what they report.

Does the double standard surprise anyone? A real world analogy was given a few pages back, and if I'm not wrong either Jrhairychest or Erewhon2 said that such an analogy could never work. However, now that Jrhairychest uses one Erewhon2 states that it is appropriate.

On an unrelated note I'm getting a mental image of layers of something being peeled back to reveal a core from reading today's posts.

Sup, the truth about the types of players we get as pmods just a little too much?

If you will note.....I stated 'proportionate', everything needs to be relative to the situation. As in RL vs RS, or Jake_Corsair's comments about RL, that I just had to respond to. Please don't start.....what did you call it?....trolling? By all means debate, because I enjoy that. :shame:

This I have to agree with, although I am surprised that you raised it. :shock:
35cq0q9.png

EDIT: So it's a popularity contest? "No one likes a snitch" or let things slide and be well liked? I play this game for my enjoyment, not to get the approval of other players that would also be nothing more than a status symbol[/b]

It isn't about being liked. I could go for a crown and be [wagon] kissed all I wanted, but I dont 'need' it. I don't need to go around in life snitching on others to make myself feel good or to gain something from it. People will either like me or they won't but I certainly would never drop my standards to something like the example above. All it does is give you a reputation not to be trusted or give you a persona of some weasly character running to the boss every 5 minutes to report someone else. I could do this in my job, but I don't. I have a word, and it works without stooping to things like this.

Now you know why pmods have such a bad rep. Local_Guy says that pmods are hated by most players, and this is probably why. If you really need a crown to 'enjoy' the game there is something seriously wrong.

First I never said I do this to make myself feel good about myself or to gain something from it. I do it because my morals dictate that i don't stand by and just let things happen to others if I can help prevent it. My standards won't allow me to turn a blind eye to stealing or scamming. Personally, I feel that someone that sees something like the above examples and doesn't do anything about them is at fault as much as the person actually committing the acts.

"Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." It's easier just to whine about something than to actually take a stand against it.

And apparently, if pmods are hated by most players, that I'm not doing it to be liked. I could do the same without the crown, but as they offered it, why not take it? It can help in certain situations (I listed in my last post) so why not use any bonus I can get.

No these are serious offences, or offences directly against the person. You would have to act, but how do you compare them to RS? The only time I have seen this in RS is when a player called someone a peadophile for revealing his age (think it was 50 or something like that). Its one of the few occasions that I have reported. The guy knew we had, as he recieved quite a lot of flak, then logged.

1. Scamming of all types

2. Offensive sexual innuendo; heavy spamming; flaming with racial slurs; etc.

Jagex has always valued quality when evaluating reports of the players they consider for modship. Modship has never been solely based on how many reports you sent out. More than one mod here (Jake Corsair, for a recent example) has testified to sending out relatively few abuse reports before being selected.

What is your purpose exactly?

Pretty sure he already answered that. If you're not going to take his word for it, why bother asking?

Its exactly what you have been doing though. Read it back to yourself. Priceless.

You misinterpreting someone else's post =/= someone else contradicting himself.

First I never said I do this to make myself feel good about myself or to gain something from it. I do it because my morals dictate that i don't stand by and just let things happen to others if I can help prevent it.

My standards won't allow me to turn a blind eye to stealing or scamming. Personally, I feel that someone that sees something like the above examples and doesn't do anything about them is at fault as much as the person actually committing the acts.

"Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." It's easier just to whine about something than to actually take a stand against it.

I would say the examples you used were stupid things that people somtimes do could have dealt with directly yourself by having a word. Instead you opted to report those people, thus probably they ended up fired. They could end up losing their houses or families break up etc. Now I'm not denying that this type of thing is wrong. If I'm being honest, however, I ask is this a sign of weakness because you were not strong enough to deal with this yourself? You could have done, had a word, explain it's not the done thing. If they had have continued they would have been caught eventually so they would've fell on their own sword. You will end up with a reputation for running to the boss and as soon as anyone else see's an opportunity they return the favour to you. Everyone screws up once in a while but they should be given a chance to redeem themselves via a little education. I'm sure theres a moral in this somewhere......

And apparently, if pmods are hated by most players, that I'm not doing it to be liked. I could do the same without the crown, but as they offered it, why not take it? It can help in certain situations (I listed in my last post) so why not use any bonus I can get.

You are supposed to be working for the community so if you're not liked you'll have problems. Local_guy has stated you are not liked so you're going to have to do something about that, involving repairing a lot of wrongs if you want to be accepted as a leader of the community. If you're not doing it in such a fashion it gives a sense that you're doing it for yourself. If you need the crown then are you saying you're not enough without it? You say why not take the crown. I say why take it?

1. Scamming of all types

Scamming is very minimal with the trade limits. And how often do you really see your second one? Honestly? As I have pointed out its very rare and I am normally in quite busy areas. If I saw that I'd report it myself but few players take the risk in saying such things. Plus there is the good old ignore button for those heavy spammers.

Jagex has always valued quality when evaluating reports of the players they consider for modship. Modship has never been solely based on how many reports you sent out. More than one mod here (Jake Corsair, for a recent example) has testified to sending out relatively few abuse reports before being selected.

Would you admit to sending many reports? Of course you wouldn't because you're instantly admitting you're looking to report for a status. Jagex themselves said quantity then quality. According to local_guy its in single figures :lol: . Who would you believe? Jagex or pmods?

Pretty sure he already answered that. If you're not going to take his word for it, why bother asking?

Not sure if he did. Tbh my thread seems quite popular so I may miss some posts when I'm dealing directly with others.

Hmmm lets see. Local_guy likes his rules so he goes around telling people not to get involved price manipulation, even though its not against the rules...... :?

1. Scamming of all types

Scamming is very minimal with the trade limits. And how often do you really see your second one? Honestly? As I have pointed out its very rare and I am normally in quite busy areas. If I saw that I'd report it myself but few players take the risk in saying such things. Plus there is the good old ignore button for those heavy spammers.

You see then that frequent reporting is hardly necessary, because rulebreaking that can't be handled verbally is so uncommon. For example, I wouldn't report somebody for talking about the Runescape Wiki, even though it's technically illegal. Most player mods would agree with me that such a situation would be better handled by giving the probably-accidental rulebreaker the benefit of the doubt. Am I right, mods?

Would you admit to sending many reports? Of course you wouldn't because you're instantly admitting you're looking to report for a status. Jagex themselves said quantity then quality. According to local_guy its in single figures :lol: . Who would you believe? Jagex or pmods?

You're right, no Pmod would ever admit to getting their "status" solely by reporting as many people as possible, as often as possible. If they say otherwise, they're obviously lying.

Similarly, a real witch would never admit to being a witch, so if she denies the accusations, it proves she's a witch! Burn her! :ohnoes:

Hmmm lets see. Local_guy likes his rules so he goes around telling people not to get involved price manipulation, even though its not against the rules...... :?

So you admit it's a contradiction. I said that because you accused me of both in your post. Hence the question mark. And if you didn't notice that you did misunderstand it. I can't spell it out any more simply.