Thoughts on cockfighting?

Faux

Cockfighting is wrong, but not because of intelligence, comparing them to humans doesn't hold any ground.

Imo, it's wrong because they feel pain, and if you can't understand that then there's really nothing else anyone can say.

So you're a vegeterian?

Making something feel pain so that a superior specices can survive is not wrong, Making something feel pain so a superior specices can be entertained is.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cockfighting is wrong, but not because of intelligence, comparing them to humans doesn't hold any ground.

Imo, it's wrong because they feel pain, and if you can't understand that then there's really nothing else anyone can say.

So you're a vegeterian?

Making something feel pain so that a superior specices can survive is not wrong, Making something feel pain so a superior specices can be entertained is.

You pretty much replied for me.

I don't think I could handle being a vegetarian :?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

We don't need chickens to survive. We eat chickens out of wanting and choice. We could live on vegetables, fruits, eggs, milk, etc.

If you're okay with harming a chicken to eat for pleasure, then you don't really have the moral ground to say it's wrong to watch them inflict pain on each other.

We don't need chickens to survive. We eat chickens out of wanting and choice. We could live on vegetables, fruits, eggs, milk, etc.

If you're okay with harming a chicken to eat for pleasure, then you don't really have the moral ground to say it's wrong to watch them inflict pain on each other.

We could, but if we were to instantly say "Eating meat is illegal" the results from riots would be unimaginable.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Which is where the whole cultural differences thing comes in.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

How is eating them equal to abuse at all Reb? That is the real strawman here.

You're comparing babies to chickens.

You're comparing intent to abuse with intent to survive.

And again, there are alternatives to entertainment instead of watching chickens kill each other.

There are two reasons I don't agree with it. The first being, it's probably nicer to shoot the chicken in the head and get it over and done with rather than torturing it before it dies, whether you eat it afterward or not. The second being, I find it disgusting that people actually bet money on their suffering. I'd imagine it wouldn't taste very good if it's been pecked and scratched to shreds anyway, since the chicken was stressed it would probably be very tough meat. Gross :twisted: I like my chicken JUICY! :-#

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

How is eating them equal to abuse at all Reb? That is the real strawman here.

"Eating chicken =/= Abusing it in factory"

Without the former there is no latter. To deny their connection is to... well, be something not that smart. No other way to say it mate :| .

And I'm confused; I really don't get where the strawman is. You're paraphrasing a point I'm making, and then trying to call a strawman on me. You're basically telling me that I'm making a strawman after making a strawman.

God, this is why debate terminology shouldn't be used. Just talk normal, it'll be better for you in the long run.

You're comparing intent to abuse with intent to survive.

I'm really confused what you're saying here. Are you saying slaughter of an animal isn't abuse of it...?

And again, there are alternatives to entertainment instead of watching chickens kill each other.

You realize that post equalizes them a fair amount, correct? Isn't that, like, our argument?

There are two reasons I don't agree with it. The first being, it's probably nicer to shoot the chicken in the head and get it over and done with rather than torturing it before it dies, whether you eat it afterward or not. The second being, I find it disgusting that people actually bet money on their suffering. I'd imagine it wouldn't taste very good if it's been pecked and scratched to shreds anyway, since the chicken was stressed it would probably be very tough meat. Gross :twisted: I like my chicken JUICY! :-#

Actually the best way is to break the neck. What's messed up is that if you slit its throat off (which is how most chickens are killed), it will actually survive for a while.

It all tastes the same with enough ketchup

@people who don't understand what I mean about how being farmed for food is worse than cockfighting, please watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjSlOOYIkCE Cow slaughter

Chicken slaughter

Out of sight out of mind

I've seen various animals slaughtered up close and personal. Believe me when I tell you that cockfighting is glamorous in comparison.

I've seen various animals slaughtered up close and personal. Believe me when I tell you that cockfighting is glamorous in comparison.

That's also how I based my opinion of cockfighting.. I mean, people have been being extremely cruel to chickens in the food industry for ages, people don't care though because it's behind closed doors out in the country. Then all of a sudden they see people from different cultures doing arguably at the same cruelty level (cockfighting) and they start whining and imposing their own believes onto those people and AT THE SAME TIME continue being cruel to chickens.

But of course they just go on with their lives, preferably away from chicken factories.

hiccup.png

"Eating chicken =/= Abusing it in factory"

Without the former there is no latter. To deny their connection is to... well, be something not that smart. No other way to say it mate :| .

Okay, let's say a parent buys chicken nuggets for his four-year-old son. The boy eats the chicken because it's in front of him and it's his instinct to eat. Does this mean the boy thinks it is okay to abuse chickens? No, he just wants to use them to live. You make it seem like eating meat means you are no different than someone who forces animals to fight each other to death and makes a game out of it.

And I'm confused; I really don't get where the strawman is. You're paraphrasing a point I'm making, and then trying to call a strawman on me. You're basically telling me that I'm making a strawman after making a strawman.

You are saying that because I eat meat, I also condone animal abuse because there is animal abuse involved in the meat industry. I don't think it is a good thing but what can we do about it? Just because I don't boycott chicken that doesn't mean I condone animal abuse.

God, this is why debate terminology shouldn't be used. Just talk normal, it'll be better for you in the long run.

I prefer saving my comfortableness for real life. You can be flirty on the internet but that's not my style.

You realize that post equalizes them a fair amount, correct? Isn't that, like, our argument?

Well, he is the one to bring up that point first. He is trying to make eating chicken sound as unnecessary as cockfights. Food is more important than entertainment in the first place.

Am I the only one that thinks that cockfighting is a weird name for such an awesome sport? :twss:

Because they are [roosters]...who are fighting? I don't quite see what's wrong with the name there. The word [rooster] has meant rooster for thousands of years in many languages. The reference to one's penis is a fairly recent (like 50 years) invention.

:twss: YOU SAID PENIS :twss:

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

I simply don't believe they should be forced to fight to the death. Also, not all farms attempt to overstock on the amount of chickens their facility can maintain. It is mainly larger companies who are greedy and are obviously on in the "business" for the money. I don't even care to refer to these people as farmers, but rather just companies. They continually convince themselves that they can care for even more animals without investing and expanding their facilities. This is why farms should not become corporate affairs. Those without the experience and common sense think that maintaining lives and quality of produce is simply putting food within reach. -sigh-

Also, to one of the previous posters; the reason the head is cut off is so that the blood is pumped out of the system by the heart. This prevents the meat from becoming extremely stiff. The nerves still function for a short while without the head, but the life has already ended as the brain is detached; unable to send messages back and forth. Cattle are butchered in a similar way, but due to the lack of an enormous axe or the means to hold them over a chopping block the animal is shot, then the throat is slit, following by being hung upside down. This as with the chicken is so the blood can pump out of the animal to prevent the meat from becoming extremely tough.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Am I the only one that thinks that cockfighting is a weird name for such an awesome sport? :twss:

Because they are [roosters]...who are fighting? I don't quite see what's wrong with the name there. The word [rooster] has meant rooster for thousands of years in many languages. The reference to one's penis is a fairly recent (like 50 years) invention.

Would you mother-[bleep]ing twelve year olds grow up?

It's not funny any more. It's not even stupid anymore. It's just enraging. Seriously, I know your balls have yet to drop, but could ya'll at least try and act mature? This is just... damnit, go back to 4chan. Honestly. I don't even know why I'm wasting my breathe. Grow the [bleep] up.

That's also how I based my opinion of cockfighting.. I mean, people have been being extremely cruel to chickens in the food industry for ages, people don't care though because it's behind closed doors out in the country. Then all of a sudden they see people from different cultures doing arguably at the same cruelty level (cockfighting) and they start whining and imposing their own believes onto those people and AT THE SAME TIME continue being cruel to chickens.

But of course they just go on with their lives, preferably away from chicken factories.

Yeah pretty much. I especially love the "civilization" taunt from the first thread. It's like a scream from a guy who never left his own country.

@Reb, do yourself a favour and just ignore Zierro. The guy dug his hole a little too deep and can't figure a way out

I simply don't believe they should be forced to fight to the death. Also, not all farms attempt to overstock on the amount of chickens their facility can maintain. It is mainly larger companies who are greedy and are obviously on in the "business" for the money. I don't even care to refer to these people as farmers, but rather just companies. They continually convince themselves that they can care for even more animals without investing and expanding their facilities. This is why farms should not become corporate affairs. Those without the experience and common sense think that maintaining lives and quality of produce is simply putting food within reach. -sigh-

I agree that not all farms slaughter the way the video I posted. I've been to free-range farms and chickens are great animals. We both know the cold truth that a non-corporate farm does not have the capability to produce enough to handle the demand.

Would you mother-[bleep] 14 year olds grow up?

It's not funny any more. It's not even stupid anymore. It's just enraging. Seriously, I know your balls have yet to drop, but could ya'll at least try and act mature? This is just... damnit, go back to 4chan. Honestly. I don't even know why I'm wasting my breathe. Grow the [bleep] up.

You don't use your breathe to type.

I'm just having some mindless fun :P

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

Do it on 4chan.

I swear to Shiva, I'm petitioning to have that 'emote' destroyed.

[hide=]

I agree that not all farms slaughter the way the video I posted. I've been to free-range farms and chickens are great animals. We both know the cold truth that a non-corporate farm does not have the capability to produce enough to handle the demand.

[/hide]

Yes, sadly we can only provide for ourselves and the immediate community. I just needed to vent a little bit. ::'

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Chicken slaughter

Thanks for that link, I got to about 1 minute 30 and turned it off, I had seen enough. I do think the way they suffer is disgusting but I still can't help that I love the taste of chicken.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Here's a video of a cockfight

[yt]4J6Qia94sdE[/yt]

Oh no, it's so inhumane. It's so cruel how they just attacked each other like that.

/sarcasm

I've already pointed out that I don't consider knives to be necessary in a fight. Look at the video, there's nothing "wrong" with that. They fight naturally. Not all roosters are prone to fighting, but some breeds basically exist just for it.

The little guy on the right is so beautiful lol

That's awesome. It's like Ninja Gaiden, except with chickens.

That's not very fair. Since you picked the most brutal chicken factory videos you could find, what was stopping you from picking the most brutal cockfight video you could find? Try being less biased.

@Reb, do yourself a favour and just ignore Zierro. The guy dug his hole a little too deep and can't figure a way out

:lol: Someone give this kid a medal. Greatest troll to avoid ban (well almost).

At least post a variety of youtube videos that present the wide range of [rooster] fighting. There are one's that are absolutely violent and to the death. There's nothing acceptable about those types.

Edit... zierro beat me to it.

igoddessIsig.png

I picked that because it was the clearest. So far this is the most violent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAne6mYWRGY

edit: what did you expect Goddess? A bloodbath? Hahahaa. Cockfights might be considered taboo but people dont let one chicken murder the other. Once one guy is down, the fight is off. They don't let the winner keep picking on the loser.

to the DEATH lol

edit2: sorry goddess, im not mocking you. it was just kinda funny to see what people "think" cockfighting is about