75 Albums you should own, Tip.It version

How2PK

The Beatles are the most overrated band in history. Ick.

:lol:

The fact that you like other genres doesn't make it overrated. The fact that it's a band from the 60s and 70s doesn't make it overrated, the fact that lots of people like it and you don't doesn't make it overrated.

The fact that you like it does not make it not overrated. The fact that you like it and other people don't doesn't make it not overrated.

Is a band being overrated not a matter of opinion? the Beatles are generally made out to be the greatest band of all time. Range doesn't like them, thus he thinks they are overrated as he doesn't think they live up to said title, or anywhere near it for that matter.

(This coming from someone who likes the Beatles and might put one of their albums on my list if I make it large enough, though I am no fanatic.)

Honestly it's just a bad adjective to describe the situation. They have 174 million plays on last.fm, for God's sake.

No, it's not a bad adjective. I think that people think too highly of the Beatles. I don't think they are a BAD band or that they were not influential, but I do think that critics and listeners give them TOO much credit. Hell, they couldn't even do a live show for half of their career and relied on studios and tape loops to make their music for them. I hate to bring Pink Floyd into it, but they used the same if not more electronics, synthesizers, etc. and they could still play it all live.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

In response to the Beatles conversation...

Time is moving on, yes - the Beatles are a very influential band but their music is becoming outdated and more unappreciated as new music develops. 20 years ago they were very highly regarded, and don't get me wrong - they are still highly regarded, but not as much.

Not to offend anyone on this forum, but i bet most of the people on here are of a youthful nature - therefore might not have been exposed to bands like the Beatles.

I can see why people liked them 40 years ago, they are perhaps the Westlife of today (poor example, but i hope you see my point)

The lyrics are good and the songs are catchy, they were also attractive :anxious:

There are plenty of other bands such as Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden and even Bob Dylan who have changed the face of music - i'm not sure if these have a wider mentioning as i have not read all of the lists.

Well, that's my two cents.

And i still want to do a list :)

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

People only think they're irrelevant or overrated because music's evolved to such an extent that The Beatles have become dated. I do like them but I can only listen to The Beatles if they come on the radio or whatever, I would never choose to listen to them when I've got so much other music I prefer. However, you have to appreciate how important they are to music. So many bands have been inspired by them, whether they realise it or not. It could be directly (for example, Oasis being inspired by The Beatles) or indirectly (The Enemy being inspired by Oasis who were inspired by The Beatles) if that makes sense. Music would be completely different today if it wasn't for those four boys from Liverpool.

Edit: oh, and I'd still like to do a list ::'

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

People only think they're irrelevant or overrated because music's evolved to such an extent that The Beatles have become dated. I do like them but I can only listen to The Beatles if they come on the radio or whatever, I would never choose to listen to them when I've got so much other music I prefer. However, you have to appreciate how important they are to music. So many bands have been inspired by them, whether they realise it or not. It could be directly (for example, Oasis being inspired by The Beatles) or indirectly (The Enemy being inspired by Oasis who were inspired by The Beatles) if that makes sense. Music would be completely different today if it wasn't for those four boys from Liverpool.

Sorry, but I don't buy that.

Pop music might have been changed by them, but I really don't see why people claim the Beatles changed the face of music completely. There are plenty of other bands out there in each genre that did as much or more for that particular genre than the Beatles did. Besides, why aren't you giving credit to all the bands that started Skiffle? And while we're at it, let's bring it all back to New York City's Tin Pan Alley; the original roots of Skiffle. The Beatles just happened to catch on in their genre and now everyone and their brother has a boner for them and thinks that they've changed the entire world of music.

I also don't think that people dislike them because they've become dated. I think people dislike them because they dislike them. I don't judge music on how old it is or if it sounds like it's from 45 years ago, I judge it by how much it appeals to what I like and I really dislike the Beatles. Their songwriting ability was average at best, they had a pile of crap drummer in Ringo Star (I don't believe for a second he was the best drummer in Liverpool), and the only thing they really had going for them was the Lennon/McCartney duo.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Besides, why aren't you giving credit to all the bands that started Skiffle? And while we're at it, let's bring it all back to New York City's Tin Pan Alley; the original roots of Skiffle. The Beatles just happened to catch on in their genre and now everyone and their brother has a boner for them and thinks that they've changed the entire world of music.

Instead of saying that The Beatles changed music as a whole it's more accurate to say that they changed popular music. We don't talk about the bands that started Skiffle for that very reason, it hasn't become a facet of popular music. Whether or not they created the innovations to which they're credited is irrelevant in the discussion about their legacy, what is important is that The Beatles are the band that brought these things to the mainstream. If people hear something new from a band that they haven't heard before, that band will get the credit even if there were others who did those things before.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Ah, I see you all have power over the forum then. Very well.

Ah, I see you all have power over the forum then.

I see you all have power over the forum then.

you all have power over the forum then.

you all have power over the forum

you all have power

Something wrong with your quote button, Mr. Troll? I think you lost your way to 4chan.

On topic, sign me up for the nominees list. :thumbsup:

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

They know how to play with the media and that's what made them change the face of music. It wasn't really the music itself, more of how they knew how to appeal to the masses. I'm not sure where you get that they were bad Live, since they're mostly regarded as the best live band in history. They pretty much spent their entire youth practicing playing live, and they definitely had the showmanship.

hiccup.png

They know how to play with the media and that's what made them change the face of music. It wasn't really the music itself, more of how they knew how to appeal to the masses. I'm not sure where you get that they were bad Live, since they're mostly regarded as the best live band in history. They pretty much spent their entire youth practicing playing live, and they definitely had the showmanship.

I'd like to know where you got that they're the best live band in history haha. That just seems simply laughable. I didn't say they were bad live, just that they couldn't produce the same sound live as they could when they holed themselves up in a studio and tripped for days at a time.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Since so many people want to make a list, (and it would be unfair to miss out someone) - instead of the current list poster PMing a person for the next list, perhaps people put their names down here and How2Pk could edit in a list of usernames and an allocated week to when they get to do a list.

This way everyone can do a list, without spamming up the forums, and everyone is happy (apart from the people on here who simply have to disagree with something)

And also, to stop the subforum being spammed with these lists each month - the allocated user has to PM How2Pk (or any mod/admin who wishes to take up the responsibility) with his/her list so the list can always stay in this thread, and people can comment on this thread

Just an idea, but i think it's a damn good solution.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

People who have volunteered so far:

How2PK

SilverSword

OldJoe

1_man_army

kalphiteman4

blushenka

Lenticular_J

deathdrow

warri0r45

Maleficus055

WookieMania12

aquariusman

Necromagus

assasin_696

Range_This11

Lateralus

AdioLovesSquall

Azvareth

MoodJuice

Nadril

Intriguing

plugpoint92

Kingjoe

Redhaloguy

istolethepie

88_click

Mlbfan13

MrShinyredplanet

Skully_Sc

Jaerkd00d

mine isnt on this page yet, so i havent made one, so you can uncross my name.

oversized.jpg[/bads]

But you did make one, I dont really think anyone wants to see the same list twice.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I'm Down

For those not following, this guy is 88_click on another account. #-o

How d'ya tell? :?

Look at 88's list of fave albums. Someone with 1 post who just joined commented on the list. He had the name of one of the artists on the guy's list in his username. He then said he just was looking for a forum for discussing music. Who goes to a specific Runescape fansite or that? Plus, 88_click both lied about being black and posted a fake RL picture.

So yeah, pretty sure it's him.

Ah, I see you all have power over the forum then. Very well.

Ah, I see you all have power over the forum then.

I see you all have power over the forum then.

you all have power over the forum then.

you all have power over the forum

you all have power

Something wrong with your quote button, Mr. Troll? I think you lost your way to 4chan.

On topic, sign me up for the nominees list. :thumbsup:

He actually said it that many times? :shock: :?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!